Author Topic: Home asset/inventory tracking software/database  (Read 1109 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Home asset/inventory tracking software/database
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:23:44 am »
I'm in the process of completing an inventory of my household contents (mostly for insurance purposes) as if I had to make a claim today, I wouldn't be able to compile a complete list of my things.

I'm looking for suggestions on what you guys use. I started a spreadsheet, but I can see how it would becoming messy very quickly.

At the very least, I need to track:
- Item make/model/serial
- Item value
- Purchase information (invoice number, date, supplier)
- Item location (some small items are "assigned" to storage boxes)
- Write-off/disposal information

Online Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Home asset/inventory tracking software/database
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 02:58:14 am »
I use Microsoft Access database. A database, in my opinion is far less susceptible to accidental corruption than a spreadsheet. And the data can be ordered/presented/updated much more intuitively.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:39:27 am »
A video of the house content in-place is what I use.  Not only can it serve as inventory, it can also serve as proof of ownership of such item and that such item was in the house when fire/flood/thief occurred.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 03:44:41 am »
I use Microsoft Access database. A database, in my opinion is far less susceptible to accidental corruption than a spreadsheet. And the data can be ordered/presented/updated much more intuitively.

I should also point out, I don't use Windows. All Linux here.

A video of the house content in-place is what I use.  Not only can it serve as inventory, it can also serve as proof of ownership of such item and that such item was in the house when fire/flood/thief occurred.

Good idea. Ideally the system should allow for photos/videos to be added as part of the item.

Offline Foxxz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 03:59:16 am »
For simple database projects like this I like using SQLite. Its a well known format and has libraries for every programming language. The database is simply a file you point the library to and whatever can read the file (write access requires write access to the file and directory) can access it. Pictures could be stored in the database but I'd rename them to a hash and store that in the database. Then use python, java, or whatever to build the database.

I'd probably use libreoffice calc if you're not looking to program anything. While you can put images in the spreadsheet I'm not sure that would be the best idea.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 05:48:47 pm »

I should also point out, I don't use Windows. All Linux here.
Then use the Openoffice (or whatever it is called today) equivalent. OTOH a spreadsheet allows to produce a total value more quickly. BTW: my guess is that clothes will make up most of the value of your belongings by far.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 10:49:49 pm »
my guess is that clothes will make up most of the value of your belongings by far.
Books. By far the most expensive of my belongings to get back if something happens (not counting things like photos which you cannot get back).

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:44:38 pm »
my guess is that clothes will make up most of the value of your belongings by far.
Books. By far the most expensive of my belongings to get back if something happens (not counting things like photos which you cannot get back).

For me it would be computer hardware. both a rack full of servers and other gear and my vintage computer/parts collection. I'm not going to bother going to the effort of individually cataloging every part individually (otherwise I'll be there forever), rather I have sorted them into numbered boxes/bins which will list the overall contents and estimated value. I reckon I'd have a good $2000 worth of old PCI video cards/3D accellerators alone.

Online Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 12:22:34 am »
I should also add that as stated above, a walk and talk video is usually good enough for insurance carriers,  at least in the U.S.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf