Author Topic: Humidity/rust issues on a garage  (Read 14366 times)

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Humidity/rust issues on a garage
« on: October 25, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
Hi,

I'm having a lot of troubles with humidity and rust in my garage since I have some cutter sets and other fairly expensive electronics tools that suffer the same issues: after 1 month they starts rusting... No matter what it is, what materials are involved or what: they literally start pitting and then they starts rusting.

Considering:
1. at night my parents want the car inside the garage, so it's always parked there and the temperature rise is noticeable even without a thermometer
2. the humidity is terrible, in rainy days there's little difference between inside and outside, and in summer you can't even stay there for too long: you can fell unconscious in that environment, and not because of the heat
3. there's a ventilation window, facing a garden (and bugs love coming during summer), always opened because I have a fume extractor (and there's no way to do a hole on the glass nor in the near wall) first, and second I need to have that window opened otherwise there's not enough air circulation.
4. I solved the concrete dust problem  by making a tiled floor and by treating the walls with proper chemicals. I've also treated any kind of wood furniture with a sealing agent, and it works very effectively.

I really don't know what to do in order to fight this issue... I don't even know if the problem is humidity related or what's going on... any suggestion?

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Humidity/rust issues on a garage
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:16 pm »
What kind of roof does this garage have?

Is the roof insulated?

Large temperature swing can cause condensation, which will lead to rust.

Try insulating the roof.

Also, look for sealed containers/boxes to store your more precious/delicate stuff if you must store it in the garage.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:43:46 pm »
My garage is embedded in my home. it's reinforced concrete.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »
Also, look for sealed containers/boxes to store your more precious/delicate stuff if you must store it in the garage.

Doesn't even have to be a sealed container. Put the tools in a box with a bit of scrunched up oily rag. I keep all my measuring tools (verniers, feelers & mics) in a wooden box with some old oil rags. Even in the most hostile environments I've not had rust issues.

There are other neat tricks for tools you can strip down to metal only, but a light oil is a good start.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »
Try getting measurements of the temperature and humidity through the day and night at, say, hourly intervals. Do the same outside. That will help you (and us) understand what is happening.

Is there direct water ingress through the walls, floor or from a leaking pipe? Do you ever see water condensed on anything? Is there anything venting damp air into the room, e.g. a tumble drier or cooker?

Condensation occurs when humid air comes into contact with something cold; the air's temperature is lowered below the dew point, and water condenses out. There are two simple ways to combat condensation: increase the temperature or - assuming it is less humid outdoors - increase the ventilation. If those fail, then you have to use dehumidifiers, which are essentially refridgerators running backwards; they cool the air and collect the condensation.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »
How am I supposed to measure humidity? Is there a humidity/temperature datalogger or something like that?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 02:45:16 pm »

Doesn't even have to be a sealed container. Put the tools in a box with a bit of scrunched up oily rag. I keep all my measuring tools (verniers, feelers & mics) in a wooden box with some old oil rags. Even in the most hostile environments I've not had rust issues.

There are other neat tricks for tools you can strip down to metal only, but a light oil is a good start.

Yes, for tools, but what about components like transistors and stuff like that?

So, according to your though I should make a sort of cabinet/container with all my tools  and an oily rag in order to have a good moisture insulation... That would deal with most of the tools for sure, but  I should find also a way to treat the environment as well, after all It's almost impossible to stay there for more than half an hour during the summer...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 02:55:36 pm »
How am I supposed to measure humidity? Is there a humidity/temperature datalogger or something like that?

Oh good grief. Buy one or make one. Use google.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »

For a low cost option, you can buy cardboard humidity indicator cards. I use these inside my pelican cases along with re-usable silica gel packs to store camera equipment and lenses.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 11:01:05 pm »
As for the open window , a fly screen will keep the bugs out.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

The following users thanked this post: R005T3r

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 12:02:00 am »
I really don't know what to do in order to fight this issue... I don't even know if the problem is humidity related or what's going on... any suggestion?

Easy - install a air conditioner. They are very good at removing humidity from the air.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 12:31:47 am »
Here's the ideal garage, based upon experience building several 5 star garages...

For the roof/ceiling:
The metal roof of a garage needs roof foil insulation, and then, ideally fibreglass wool insulation (batts or blanket), then a ceiling. The roof sheeting should be "clip-lock" type, without any nail of screw holes.

The walls:
The walls should also have foil insulation and then insulation batts.

The concrete floor:
This must have a plastic membrane between the soil and the concrete. Also painted waterproofing compound on the sides of a slab is a good idea.

Environment:
Install a reverse cycle air conditioner. If the garage is well insulated, running costs will be minimal.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is not putting in a plastic membrane beneath the concrete slab. If your slab does not have a plastic membrane, the best thing you can do is seal the top of the concrete with an impervious material. Also check drainage around the perimeter of the garage. White salts appearing is a sign of damp concrete. Another option is to demolish the garage and rebuild it.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:06:11 am by VK3DRB »

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:29:03 am »
I use one of these :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I02NQX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you want one that logs try something like this:
http://uk.farnell.com/lascar/el-usb-2/data-logger-0-100-rh-35deg-80deg/dp/8522898

Oh good grief. Buy one or make one. Use google.
There is not need for this.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:44:26 am »
For tools, i have had a good run with either lanolin spray oil (Inox Lanox) or Break Free LP Gun Oil .
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 11:49:01 am »
As for the open window , a fly screen will keep the bugs out.

My intention was to literally close the window and then making a hole in the wall  for the fume extractor. Humidity will come inside in foggy days for sure, so using the silica-gels is pointless.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:55 pm »
I have a similar problem as you, although the garage here is not concrete but wood/cardboard/styrofoam (the way houses are done around here - never understood).

Other folks mentioned similar approaches. I try to compartmentalize the low humidity spots by using plastic boxes with rubber/foam insulation on the edges and self-made bags of silica-gel - something I show starting at 0:50 of the video below.

This has been working for me for several years - i.e., no rust or oxidization has happened to my electronic components.

One warning, though: never reuse silica-gel bags from other products, as you don't know what they may have been exposed to. I know this by experience - I reused some silica-gel bags from unknown sources only to find out they were probably used in some sort of oxidizing environment. Conclusion: it rusted a batch of small DC motors...  :palm:

Equipment, however, is always stored inside the house.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 12:09:40 pm »
Humidity will come inside in foggy days for sure

Humidity will come in every day for sure. If the temperature of a surface is below the dew point, water vapour will condense into water. If not, it will stay as water vapour.

Hence the importance of knowing the actual air humidity/temperature, and the temperature of the surfaces.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 12:40:02 pm »
Before I have built my lab, I was operating from an open window environment.  Two defective fridges are my dry-boxes.  Feeding them with drying agents were not so costly and fridges are really designed for putting and retrieving items.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 12:42:52 pm »
If humidity will come in every day, the window should always stay closed (there's a garden on the other side, and it's always humid). And the car coming in during night is not helping at all, especially in rainy days, since there will be puddles inside the garage.

I know for certain, that on the floor has been applied a sealing membrane...

Maybe, another option could be having a proper dehumidifier. Anyway, it's better if I take some measurements, speculating about it with no data is useless.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 12:57:03 pm »
You need to get rid of the humidity. How much money can you spend?

If it was me, I'd seal the inside as best as I could with rigid foam insulation board and duct tape, then buy a dehumidifier. Air conditioning of some kind for summer would be nice if you can afford it.

If you have a dedicated space that you don't have to share with the vehicle, the rigid foam board is probably sturdy enough to build non-structural walls with. That could lower the cost somewhat as you wouldn't have to do the entire garage.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 03:14:37 pm »
If humidity will come in every day, the window should always stay closed (there's a garden on the other side, and it's always humid). And the car coming in during night is not helping at all, especially in rainy days, since there will be puddles inside the garage.

I know for certain, that on the floor has been applied a sealing membrane...

Maybe, another option could be having a proper dehumidifier. Anyway, it's better if I take some measurements, speculating about it with no data is useless.

That is a lost battle. I live on a place where normality the humidity is an average the 70% during almost all year  such as on winter or summer . The garage is a breeding place of mould by the humidity, inclusive we have had  on  house's rooms where it has a good isolation and antimould paints .

The unique solution is to live on a bubble with an air conditioning or dehumidifier .

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 06:42:52 pm »
Let's assume, it's a really lost battle and there's no way to solve the problem, but, if I:
1. have a powerful enough dehumidifier to control a little bit better the moisture:
I'll improve the climate and also the livability, and moisture levels will be lowered
2. I constantly clean/oil/grease your tools to prevent rust:
The tools will run smoother  :) , if used properly they will last longer and the rust may not bother  again
3. critical equipment may be stored in a sealed container with a silica gels and changed regularly:
in order to cut off the remaining moisture
4. that bloody window is going to be sealed (or replaced):
As a result no more bugs and moisture will find another path
5. the fume extactor have a proper shutter when not in use
Something like this one: http://www.vortice.com/en/accessories-and-components/accessories/22334 or similiar

The climate will be better than now. Actually, placing a wall between the lab and the car area, is something I don't want to mess up with because of space-related issues and I need to rearrange everything. The fact that the car goes in damp some times is something to be considered.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 06:47:03 pm »
You need to get rid of the humidity. How much money can you spend?

If it was me, I'd seal the inside as best as I could with rigid foam insulation board and duct tape, then buy a dehumidifier. Air conditioning of some kind for summer would be nice if you can afford it.

Let's say up to 400/500 bucks in total.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »
Let's say up to 400/500 bucks in total.

You can make a huge improvement with that budget:

- Cover the ceiling with thin plastic sheeting/film, easy installation with a staple gun.  That is if your ceiling is currently open rafters or trusses, complications here if you have a steel roof.
 - Paint the concrete walls and floor.
 - Install a window shaker AC unit

The above will make a huge difference in the warm months and is all DIY.  If in a cold winter climate then obviously you'll have to heat and utilize a dehumidifier during that time.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 07:35:39 pm »
The ceiling is made out of reinforced concrete... The walls are already painted. The window is something like this: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Fenster-65-cm-Breite-viele-Hohen-Kunststoff-Kellerfenster-Garagenfenster-/182047749229 (completely stuck open) made of steel and some kind of unbreakable glass...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf