it is only 2 phase if the phases are not a multiple of 180 degrees apart
OK, time for me to set a cat amongst the pigeons here.
Yes, I've heard that stated over and over again.
That is one of the god-damndest stoopidest, most wrong-headed things I've ever heard of!The supposition that two currents that are 180° apart do not constitute two separate phases, even though they clearly do.
Disclaimer: I never expect to ever win this argument, but I'll argue it anyhow.
This wrong-headed thinking apparently emanates from the electrical industry, who insist on calling 3-phase power "3-phase" and the 180°-apart power "split phase".
They won't admit that it does, in fact, constitute two separate and distinct phases. But somehow, because the phases are mirror images of each other, 180° apart, they won't call them separate phases.
I'm sure if physicists or electronic engineers had their say that split-phase power would be called 2-phase.
What is so fucking special about 180° that its phases don't get called phases?
Yes, I realize that this is yet another dust-up over terminology, but it strikes me as so blindingly, obviously wrong that I just can't hold my tougue.
Stupid sparkies.
How can you tell me that these waves don't constitute two different phases?


And yet if one of them is shifted by 1° then we can call them two phases?