Author Topic: Just gonna take this dead 9V battery apar...... what the ?  (Read 14567 times)

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Just gonna take this dead 9V battery apar...... what the ?
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:28:40 pm »
I had a couple of cheapo dead 9V batteries and before throwing them out decided to take the connector off.
So i took the label off and when i started peeling the metal case off i noticed that the metal on the inside was yellow.

That VARTA logo caught me by surprise.  :D
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Just gonna take this dead 9V battery apar...... what the ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:21:49 pm »
that factory probably makes Varta knockoffs, print on both sides to save metal...

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:00 pm »
Could be a rejected/faulty printing batch, but the already cut and rolled steel strip got recycled by printing on the other side and used for a different brand.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:13:12 pm »
They probably are making them for Varta, and when the order is complete they simply carry on running the machinery  to use up whatever is left in the batching for the cell chemicals, and then simply flip over the casing sheet and print on the back of it to make the new casings. You probably will find a few Varta cells with the other branding inside the case ( I have seen this) where they were near the end, and put the last roll in with the double print instead of the inner print being a varnish only sealing coat. Remember the chemistry of the zinc carbon cell is very old, and thus all are pretty much the same blend, only the cheaper ones will have a lot more filler material ( often sawdust or chalk) added into the ble3nd to bulk it out and reduce the cost per cell, at the cost of capacity. Adding the filler to the remaining bulk is easy, as you do not have to stop the line but only add to the blender ahead of the pasting operations.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:55 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me if that factory made both brands.
This is very usual for many things, esp. supermarket items, from detergents to milk.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:31:48 pm »
Could it be scrap sheet metal?

I remember dismantling some cheap headphones. On the other side of the metal cover with a lot of holes, it was red and had what looked like writing on it. I'd post a picture but I no longer have them, as this was 20 years ago.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 10:36:35 am »
This is very usual for many things, esp. supermarket items, from detergents to milk.
In Germany the TV Stations clain that the cheap nock offs are the Same Quality as the original...  :palm: I try some products my self and the taste horrible.
There is a Pringles knckoff the taste like harden fat.  :--

Or on a different TV Show the put fish sticks to the test.
Who was test it? Sure a Harz4 Family.  :palm: And which one win? The cheap Brand where the Fam get eaten every day.  :clap:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:42 am »
In Germany the TV Stations clain that the cheap nock offs are the Same Quality as the original...  :palm: I try some products my self and the taste horrible.

Who was test it? Sure a Harz4 Family.  :palm: And which one win? The cheap Brand where the Fam get eaten every day.  :clap:

If you saw it on TV, it has to be real...

:-DD

Offline ICR9000

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 01:01:14 pm »
And ?   :popcorn:

:-DD

:--

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 01:03:46 pm by ICR9000 »

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 01:09:35 pm »

Most of the time in the US, the generic is most often the exact same thing, and possibly even from the same factory. You can walk into almost any supermarket here and get the same frozen foods, the same snacks, the same produce, the same everything.

Occasionally, the more posh and unreasonable shops have a bigger selection and more obscure foods.

Unfortunately, most food in America sucks. Our rules for what companies can do with food, unwritten and government, are very lax. You tend to find an abundance of fillers. It's not all bad, but we currently rank one of the lowest in the world in terms of food quality.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 01:25:28 pm »
Unfortunately, most food in America sucks. Our rules for what companies can do with food, unwritten and government, are very lax. You tend to find an abundance of fillers. It's not all bad, but we currently rank one of the lowest in the world in terms of food quality.
Thats true...   :scared:
For example when i compare the real and the fake oreo omg...  :palm:
Every non smoking person could take that the taste different.
Its funny when company on a trade fair offer some sweets. On the Product name and taste i could define what kind of quality the products have who the try to sold.  :-DD
Cheap Food cheap quality products. No food -> ass holes.  :=\

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 03:54:20 pm »
and sometimes the store brands taste better... go figure... ;)

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 05:40:38 pm »

Did you mean highest?   US ranks 8 out of 125 and above Canada, France, Italy, and Switzerland: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/good-enough-to-eat

John

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 06:11:49 pm »

Did you mean highest?   US ranks 8 out of 125 and above Canada, France, Italy, and Switzerland: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/good-enough-to-eat

John
As a global poverty relief charity, Oxfam's definition of "food quality" means a diversified diet and access to safe water - it says nothing about whether that diet is gourmet cuisine or highly processed sugar-laden junk.

Overall the US ranks 21st in that table - France and Switzerland are equal 2nd. Sort by diabetes and obesity and the US is among the worst in the world, which drags down their overall ranking.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 06:43:29 pm »
For the criterion of Quality, the US ranks 8th.   I was not responding to "overall," because TwoOffFive gave no reference for his assertion.   He did say "quality," however, and that chart does address quality as a separate stratification.

As for the US's lower overall ranking (it is still in the upper 20th percentile), it is obvious that the "healthy" assessment weighed heavily.  As any American knows, junk food diets are a problem and contribute to obesity.   But such diets are a matter of individual choice.

Neither view is consistent with being one "one of the lowest in the world."

John

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »
The ingredients and/or quality can be completely different so whether something comes from the same factory or not says nothing about the quality of a product.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »

There must be something wrong with this... Only 1 country with rank 1  :-//
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »
The ingredients and/or quality can be completely different so whether something comes from the same factory or not says nothing about the quality of a product.

Here, you can generally tell about food just from reading the labels. Ingredients must be listed in order of quantity, and some list actual percentages. If the ingredients and their quantities are the same, chances are the only difference is the brand printed on the label.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »
I try some products my self and the taste horrible.

I wish I had read this warning earlier.
I tried those fake Varta batteries, and they tasted really disgusting!  :P

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 09:43:18 pm »
Nothing to do with the original topic, but the discussion of food reminded me of this LaserDisc video, which is well worth a watch:

There's a segment on food labeling, and I couldn't help but find the 'gravy and turkey meal' to be rather humorous.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 10:19:22 pm »
Yes that can be I made no statement about that. It would just explain the doublesided print.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 10:25:55 pm »
I had a couple of cheapo dead 9V batteries and before throwing them out decided to take the connector off.
So i took the label off and when i started peeling the metal case off i noticed that the metal on the inside was yellow.

You can use the carbon rods and make one hell of a electronic arc generator to melt metals, etc. Fun stuff but be careful. Check out "The King of Random" on YouTube.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 10:50:32 am »
But such diets are a matter of individual choice.
When 90% of the Food are crap its very hard to eat healthy.
I dont know why Vegetables and Fruits that experience in America.  :wtf:

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 08:57:14 pm »

You can use the carbon rods and make one hell of a electronic arc generator to melt metals, etc. Fun stuff but be careful. Check out "The King of Random" on YouTube.
Not from these, but yeah i've known that trick for quite a while.
Last summer made an experiment and welded two rocks together with the hot arc, although getting them not to crack was a challenge.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf