Author Topic: Martin lorton needs a hand  (Read 66263 times)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Martin lorton needs a hand
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 07:32:37 am »
I watch pretty much everything at 1.25 or 1.5. I find a lot of people speak far too slow, and i can cut a 15min video down to 10min this way.
I have pretty much given up on tv, and just watch youtube for an hour.

I do have trouble with shariah, so cannot fast forward him. Just the accent is slightly off, or garbled in fast forward.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 07:41:02 am »
That's my problem with Mike too.... it's more of a monotone mumbling
You nailed it... And no offence, i'm just trying to be helpful - I think Mike may need to work on it to become more articulate as well as improve his voice dynamic range. His lips are barely moving when he speaks, that causes that mumbling effect i think. I cant see how a good microphone can be better than exersizing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:43:09 am by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:36 am »
I've sent $25. His videos have proven useful to me several times, so it's a no brainer.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2016, 07:53:09 am »
In Martin's defence, like me, he has a young family, a life, and a wife with a career. Posting "more videos" is an option that is often not possible.

I am sorry but this is a lame excuse. This is the creator's problem, not his subscribers'. If the creator is not able to keep up with work (this applies to any type of work) he should not be doing it as this would be disrespectful to the family.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2016, 08:05:25 am »
Martin hasn't received a single new patron in the last 24 hours, that's just sad .. yep, he needs a job.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2016, 08:08:26 am »
I have been watching Martins videos for a while. But only selected ones.

There is not single Youtuber I follow whom I watch every one of their videos. I always pick and chose based on the title and description.
I don't think that's the least bit unusual, and I don't expect anyone to watch every one of my videos, they are just way too varied for every one to appeal to everyone.
This is why and a content producer I get  |O everytime I see someone complaining that they don't like a particular videos contents.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 08:09:28 am »
Just got a new camera with an external mic socket, which might help...!

Waddya get?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:32 am »
Dave's style and speed is perfect  :-+, while for Mike's, I do have Briton's friend, he speaks quite fast exactly like Mike does, that sometimes made me have to rewind abit to clear things out, but I did it willingly and I feel its just my non native ears limitation, and mostly I can understand about 85-90% on what Mike said on the "1st pass".  :-DD
That's my problem with Mike too. I like his vids but my English is not the best and I really struggle to understand him. He speaks way to fast for me and without clear pronunciation, it's more of a monotone mumbling if this is the right word for it. Don't have this problems with Dave, his voice cuts through like a circular saw  :-DD

I've been told by many German viewers that for some reason they can understand fast paced Australian just fine (hence my very large German viewership), but fast paced Queens English they have real problems understanding  :-//
Any linguistic experts in the house?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2016, 08:14:44 am »
I'm not that convinced that subscriber count is a good metric - the view count on most of my vids typically gets about a third of the sub count after a couple of weeks.

It's not, and 1/3rd of subscriber count in views per video is fairly typical. It gets high if you have more consistent content as I mentioned before. The broader appeal your content, the lower views/subscriber.
But I do find that when I upload a video that actually has very broad appeal (e.g. Fontus Busting video), the lurker subscribers come out of the woodwork and watch.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:13 am »
I've been told by many German viewers that for some reason they can understand fast paced Australian just fine (hence my very large German viewership), but fast paced Queens English they have real problems understanding  :-//
No problem with you for a Spaniard :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:29 am »
mjlorton's 20 last videos average about 6-7k views. He has 166k subs, that's a 3.6-4.2% "turnout". This is the turnout you could expect on channels who buy subs / use sub bots. Definitely not accusing him of this, it's just curious. Anyone know why this might happen?
Simple - people sub then lose interest. If subbers don't have email notifications on they probably forgot all about the channel.

Yep to both of those.
I had a video conference with the head of Youtube asia pacific a few months back and he confirmed one of the biggest problems is people don't know how to set up email notification. Hence my video at the time explaining how.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 08:20:02 am »
Just got a new camera with an external mic socket, which might help...!

Waddya get?
Nothing fancy - Panasonic HC-VX870. Didn't spend too much time looking, mainly a case of replacing the current one that has a dead pixel and getting a mic socket.  There's a surprising lack of any sort of easy feature comparison resource on the net - even for basic stuff like presence of a mic socket, close-up distance. Not even the manufacturers sites have any sort of useful parametric search/comparison.
The only real criteria were mic socket and useable manual focus.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2016, 08:20:44 am »
If people want to listen to religion they will seek out and watch Dawkins or the opposite.

I have not done a single video on religion. I only mention it when it's mentioned in a mailbag (which is the entire point of mailbag!), or a live show comment or whatever. Why people get so uptight about that I don't know. Actually, I do, because, religion is special  ::)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2016, 08:21:56 am »
mjlorton's 20 last videos average about 6-7k views. He has 166k subs, that's a 3.6-4.2% "turnout". This is the turnout you could expect on channels who buy subs / use sub bots. Definitely not accusing him of this, it's just curious. Anyone know why this might happen?
Simple - people sub then lose interest. If subbers don't have email notifications on they probably forgot all about the channel.

I had a video conference with the head of Youtube asia pacific a few months back and he confirmed one of the biggest problems is people don't know how to set up email notification. Hence my video at the time explaining how.
I wonder why YT don't either make this the default, or show a pop-up to set the option when you subscribe.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2016, 08:22:47 am »
If I remember correctly, Martin said in the video that his viewership was going up, but YT revenues down.
I didn't quite get whether less revenues are because of 'less clicks' or because YT is paying less. Dave, anyone?

It's not going down for me. There was a big peak late last year, and it's now settled down to a similar value I was getting a year ago. Nothing unusual there.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2016, 08:24:52 am »
Nothing fancy - Panasonic HC-VX870. Didn't spend too much time looking, mainly a case of replacing the current one that has a dead pixel and getting a mic socket.  There's a surprising lack of any sort of easy feature comparison resource on the net - even for basic stuff like presence of a mic socket, close-up distance. Not even the manufacturers sites have any sort of useful parametric search/comparison.
The only real criteria were mic socket and useable manual focus.
Audio is difficult. Much more than most people realize.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2016, 08:26:55 am »
Zi Germans, and Europeans in general like to over-pronounce the words. Meaning that we might pronounce silent syllables and such. Englishmen when speaking actually makes even more silent syllables than Yankees, Australians dont. At least you dont.
Also there is varying degree of English knowledge in Europe. Germans learn English second language, so some 70% speaks it. Same for most west European countries. In east Europe, its more like 30. And -10% in France.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2016, 08:29:06 am »
Not an easy question to answer.  I think if I were to sum it up, most of us were bored.  I think when we started watching, we were drawn to your personality.  Your choice of words and phases were different than the norm, along with you were a bit quirky.  I think we related to you and found humor in what you were offering.  I suspect Scott Adams nailed it so well because so much of what he provided, many of us could see in our own lives.   

So what's actually changed (or hasn't changed) that has made it more "boring"?

I don't think any of our small group watched for the technical content so much as just watching you entertain us.     

That is not uncommon for my audience. I suspect it's the majority actually, that they watch for the entertainment value essentially.

Around Christmas as you started to talk more an more about religion, I really lost interest.  I have no care of what your views are but found it a little sad to see you begin to attack a group a people based on religion.  I remember saying, it's his show not ours.   

See my comment above, I have not done a single video on religion.
Mailbag is called Mailbag for a reason. Name another video I have mentioned religion (apart from a 2nd channel video on Peter Poppoff)
But hey, if you want to lose interest over that then I understand, perfectly normal. A couple of orders of magnitude more people lose interest over other things I say and do. My comments on religion would be down in the noise for reasons people unsub or don't watch any more.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:31:01 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2016, 08:37:02 am »
Dave's style and speed is perfect  :-+

Thanks.
I do like to think I've gotten a lot better over the years. My videos are still long, but I like the think that there is a lot of information crammed into them.
My tutorial videos for example often get compared to 5 minutes ones, and people somehow think they are equivalent and don't seem to appreciate that mine cover 10 times the stuff  :-//

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2016, 08:38:39 am »
Quote from: EEVblog l
I have not done a single video on religion. I only mention it when it's mentioned in a mailbag (which is the [i
entire point[/i] of mailbag!), or a live show comment or whatever.

Because you insist in going through every thing in the letters in detail and then ranting on them.  For example you could have covered the typed letter in seconds and given a link for those who are interested in reading every word in detail.

Better still would be to cut them out, as you are now attracting an escalating response from the nutter brigrade.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2016, 08:39:11 am »
I do like to think I've gotten a lot better over the years. My videos are still long, but I like the think that there is a lot of information crammed into them.
My tutorial videos for example often get compared to 5 minutes ones, and people somehow think they are equivalent and don't seem to appreciate that mine cover 10 times the stuff  :-//
These times will be remembered in History as the TEDiocy years. I am pretty sure some people think that you can master Quantum Physics in a 10 minute TED talk.

So everyone gets shallower and shallower. I'm amazed at the increasing lack of grasp of fundamental concepts in newly graduated engineers.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2016, 08:39:53 am »
The big issue with audio is the room acoustics. You need to be prepared to control echo. A tiled bathroom doesn't sound that echoey in real life, but sounds like an echo chamber in a recording. Even quite absorbently furnished rooms tend to be a lot more echoey than you would like in a speech recording. You either need to closely mic, to exclude anything but the direct voice, or be prepared to use acoustically absorbent materials to control the room acoustics. If you very thoroughly exclude everything but direct voice into the microphone the recording might end up sounding a little dry. This is not a bad thing, though. Adding a controlled amount of reverb electronically is easy to do.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2016, 08:40:12 am »
Don't have this problems with Dave, his voice cuts through like a circular saw  :-DD

My voice is either hated, or it's useful  ;D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2016, 08:41:04 am »
Damn that is why I forget all my subscribed channels  |O    No email notifications.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2016, 08:41:56 am »
The big issue with audio is the room acoustics. You need to be prepared to control echo. A tiled bathroom doesn't sound that echoey in real life, but sounds like an echo chamber in a recording. Even quite absorbently furnished rooms tend to be a lot more echoey than you would like in a speech recording. You either need to closely mic, to exclude anything but the direct voice, or be prepared to use acoustically absorbent materials to control the room acoustics. If you very thoroughly exclude everything but direct voice into the microphone the recording might end up sounding a little dry. This is not a bad thing, though. Adding a controlled amount of reverb electronically is easy to do.
Actually, worse than the typical reverberation is low frequency resonances, which are complicated and expensive to tame (you need bass traps).

Also, you need proper voice processing and dynamics processors have a learning curve.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf