Author Topic: Stock Electronic Image FAILS  (Read 230258 times)

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Re: Stock Electronic Image FAILS
« Reply #775 on: October 30, 2022, 06:56:32 pm »
This, the small print user manual for an Aldi branded set of digital calipers and who should be safegaurded from them. Basically no-one except a fully qualified grown up with zero psychiatric certifications should be using them. Maybe not even then?

OMG WTF I'm so frightened of anything that contains a numeric scale :scared:

Btw, on the subject of dodgy tech, these calipers are cheaply made but for the money, remarkably accurate!

This kind of disclaimer is becoming increasingly frequent. I bought an electric appliance the other day, and in the manual they said the same thing.

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #776 on: October 30, 2022, 11:17:25 pm »
The kind of persn who feels the need to write that sort of disclaimer is just about the only kind of person who could need protecting from a pair of calipers.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #777 on: November 01, 2022, 12:52:46 am »
Why is a grocery store selling digital calipers?
Jon

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
Re: Stock Electronic Image FAILS - The OTHER Side of the Story
« Reply #778 on: November 01, 2022, 03:46:24 am »
A little while ago I was trying to find a "stock" image to use in an article I was writing. I needed a picture of an early telegraph station, showing the various parts, properly connected together. I must have gone through a thousand or more images with zero luck. The photos, many of which were actual shots of real, working telegraph stations, just did not show enough of HOW they worked. Just some of the parts, like the key or the sounder, sitting on a table or desk. Often they removed the wires, I guess to make the photo cleaner or some such. None of them showed the working points that I wanted to illustrate.

I would up buying the equipment myself and wiring it on a desk for the photo. That article has not been published yet, but when it is I am going to look to see just how long it takes that photo to be ripped off for the unauthorized profit of others. I have secretly added a copyright symbol and my initials to it so I will positively know it is mine. Can you say lawsuit?
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: November 01, 2022, 04:01:53 am »
I can see why they don't want these calipers in the hands of teenagers. They EXPLODE!

I am going to throw all of mine out right away! But no, wait, they also say you can't do that too. So there is no way out. Now I see it in the display. It says mm. It's the metric system that's doing this. I knew it was evil. Why didn't we just stick with cubits?

I am doomed by my explosive calipers. Doomed, I tell you! DOOMED!

Note: Be sure to check out the date posted! It adds to the flavor.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:10:33 am by EPAIII »
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Stock Electronic Image FAILS - The OTHER Side of the Story
« Reply #780 on: November 01, 2022, 05:02:12 am »
I wound up buying the equipment myself and wiring it on a desk for the photo. That article has not been published yet, but when it is I am going to look to see just how long it takes that photo to be ripped off for the unauthorized profit of others. I have secretly added a copyright symbol and my initials to it so I will positively know it is mine. Can you say lawsuit?
Or you could release it CC and put it on Wikipedia.  :)

I've got photos from ten years ago when I visited this place:

The Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve marks the original site of the first European settlement in Alice Springs. It was established in 1871 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide along Australia’s Overland Telegraph Line.  This not only connected Australia’s population centres with the north of the country, but it also connected Australia up with the undersea telegraph network of the British Empire.  Prior to 1872, a message back to England would travel by boat and take 3 to 4 months each way.  However, after the telegraph line was built, Morse code messages travelling through Alice Springs could reach London in as little as 5 hours – slow by today’s standards, but revolutionary for people of the 19th century!

https://alicespringstelegraphstation.com.au/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Springs_Telegraph_Station

Interestingly, there are no money shots on the website or the wiki. Must be a conspiracy. You can see what the cafe looks like.  ::)

It was implied when I was there that the gear presented is period correct if not original.
iratus parum formica

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: November 01, 2022, 09:33:35 am »
I can see why they don't want these calipers in the hands of teenagers. They EXPLODE!

You never tried to solder wires to a CR2032?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #782 on: November 01, 2022, 10:58:26 am »

You never tried to solder wires to a CR2032?

haha, yeah. They do tend to pop. Though i'd hardly call it an explosion.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #783 on: November 01, 2022, 06:31:18 pm »

I am going to throw all of mine out right away! But no, wait, they also say you can't do that too. So there is no way out. Now I see it in the display. It says mm. It's the metric system that's doing this. I knew it was evil. Why didn't we just stick with cubits?

I am doomed by my explosive calipers. Doomed, I tell you! DOOMED!

Note: Be sure to check out the date posted! It adds to the flavor.
I am holding those very calipers right now and pondering, what exactly is likely to explode? The battery is a miniature LR44 button cell. So unless it contains nitrocelulose or even PETN, an explosive pressure wave would be messurable in milli-pascals. Should I take it outside, and hammer it on the iron anvil? Let's find out...

I can confirm, no nuclear fission occurred.

Luckily, Aldi provided a spare battery, just in case the first one detonated.

It's ass covering statements like that which spreads fear in the technophobic.  Imagine some school teacher with the intelligence of a school teacher reading this? Evacuate the classroom and call the bomb squad! Similar happened when a pupil broke a thermometer causing a hazmat level evacuation of the school. Thermometers contain mercury right? So do the ones with red liquid? :palm:

Maybe we shouldn't read the fecking safety warnings, it's TMI.

btw, Big Clive does an interesting teardown of this type of caliper on YouTube.

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #784 on: November 01, 2022, 07:25:43 pm »
I imagine the documentation discussion went something like this:

Legal: does it have sharp parts or small parts?
Engineer: yes
Legal: include the standard "not for children, etc" warning.
Legal: does it have a battery?
Engineer: yes
Legal: include the standard "danger of explosion" warning.
Engineer: but the battery is tiny! It poses no danger...
Legal: do you want us to get sued? No buts!
Engineer: <sigh>

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #785 on: November 02, 2022, 05:26:46 pm »
I think blaming on the legal department is not generally accurate.  The dialog would be correct if that much thought were put into it.  I think some of these companies just sweep up every safety warning they have ever seen.  I have seen unpowered equipment with warnings to use grounded outlets.  Warnings to use hearing and eye protection with screwdrivers. 

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #786 on: November 02, 2022, 06:02:53 pm »
Ha, this is funny.

On amazon.de, the Ryobi right angle drill with typenumber RAD18C-0 has specified:

Maximum chuck size: 10 MONTHS

Is this a special time-distance relativity feature?
goto considered awesome!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: November 03, 2022, 12:08:05 am »
I think blaming on the legal department is not generally accurate.  The dialog would be correct if that much thought were put into it.  I think some of these companies just sweep up every safety warning they have ever seen.  I have seen unpowered equipment with warnings to use grounded outlets.  Warnings to use hearing and eye protection with screwdrivers.
Not so much an image, but at my then work back in the day, some idiot managed to get hot solder in their eyes by incorrect desoldering methods.

OH &S went into the  :scared: :scared: :scared: mode & decreed that we would have to use safety glasses for soldering.
The plastic things supplied were crap, with poor optical qualities, & soldering for any length of time caused eyestrain.
On top of that, the plastic was very prone to a build up of dirt from flux fallout, finger grease, etc.

The latter was recognised, & "glasses cleaning stations" consisting of a spraycan of cleaner & a pack of soft tissues were installed.
The "station" was installed with the spraycan nozzle facing straight out at eye level----what could possibly go wrong? ;D

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #788 on: November 03, 2022, 10:54:59 am »
The latter was recognised, & "glasses cleaning stations" consisting of a spraycan of cleaner & a pack of soft tissues were installed.
The "station" was installed with the spraycan nozzle facing straight out at eye level----what could possibly go wrong? ;D

What's the problem? It's your hands that are dirty. Keeping your glasses on your face while cleaning will make sure you don't get more dirt on them through handling.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #789 on: November 03, 2022, 11:11:38 am »

Same problem as with Prop 65.   The regulation was well-intentioned but it became easier to just mark everything as possibly violating Prop 65 because there are so many possible ways to contaminate something with a few ppb of some dangerous chemical, and it's utterly impractical to test everything, and you don't want to get sued.

But it completely defeats the point of something like 65.  The idea was that manufacturers would be less willing to use dangerous compounds, because consumers would avoid those products, but when everything gives you cancer, how can you avoid everything?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #790 on: November 03, 2022, 11:24:08 am »
But it completely defeats the point of something like 65.  The idea was that manufacturers would be less willing to ...

That strategy has never worked. Manufacturers NEVER look at a law and think "Oh, I'd better stop doing that", they always think "How can I get around that law?"

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: November 03, 2022, 11:47:56 am »
But it completely defeats the point of something like 65.  The idea was that manufacturers would be less willing to ...

That strategy has never worked. Manufacturers NEVER look at a law and think "Oh, I'd better stop doing that", they always think "How can I get around that law?"

Not even remotely correct, RoHS has worked quite well once manufacturers have figured out how to actually solder BGAs with lead free processes. There are a few absurdities, but it has reduced the concentration of lead in groundwater.  Lead is one of those horrible materials that has no safe exposure limit, even a few tens of ppb of lead have been shown to have a deleterious effect on brain development, and higher doses may be associated with increased criminality (it's suggested as one reason the US had a violent crime spike in the 70's-80's was leaded petrol.)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #792 on: November 03, 2022, 12:11:21 pm »
Not even remotely correct, RoHS has worked quite well once manufacturers have figured out how to actually solder BGAs with lead free processes.

Obviously they couldn't figure out a way around that one.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #793 on: November 03, 2022, 01:06:32 pm »
(it's suggested as one reason the US had a violent crime spike in the 70's-80's was leaded petrol.)
Or the amount of lead in bullets(?)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #794 on: November 03, 2022, 02:12:22 pm »
Not even remotely correct, RoHS has worked quite well once manufacturers have figured out how to actually solder BGAs with lead free processes.

Obviously they couldn't figure out a way around that one.

So what you're saying is robustly designed and implemented environmental regulations don't get worked around and will eventually lead to change.

Seems like a good thing to me.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: November 03, 2022, 06:36:46 pm »
Seems like a good thing to me.

Nobody's saying it isn't.  :palm:

Somebody mentioned something about manufacturers being "willing", that's the only thing being disputed here.

Most manufacturers go "kicking and screaming".

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #796 on: November 14, 2022, 02:50:06 am »
In case your iron starts to burn from the inside - vent holes will help out.  :clap:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #797 on: November 15, 2022, 03:55:23 am »
In case your iron starts to burn from the inside - vent holes will help out.  :clap:

the advertising agency creative needs to quit smoking.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: AndyBeez

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #798 on: November 17, 2022, 08:48:28 pm »
the advertising agency creative needs to quit smoking.
8) Or he needs to replace his vape liquid with liquid flux.

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #799 on: November 23, 2022, 10:07:35 am »
a pet peeve

RS components stock image for their range of single decade resistance boxes from Chauvin Arnoux is actually the k ratio resistance box P03197531A
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf