Author Topic: This is why we should all leave the EU  (Read 144947 times)

Offline ctz

• Contributor
Re: Death of the British Tea Kettle
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »
Do we need another thread on this bullshit?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: August 31, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »
He probably didn't notice the ongoing one, be nice.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/this-is-why-we-should-all-leave-the-eu/

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: August 31, 2014, 08:13:14 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Now they have done it. See link below.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/505160/EU-vacuum-cleaner-plan-barmy-bans-on-HAIRDRYERS-and-KETTLES

Enough complaining. It's for your own benefit ;-)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »
Well, low powered kettles use more electricity than high powered kettles, so all that's needed are some scientists to demonstrate this.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #379 on: August 31, 2014, 09:02:40 pm »
Well, low powered kettles use more electricity than high powered kettles, so all that's needed are some scientists to demonstrate this.

... as if the citizenry is a bunch of slaves with no liberty to make decisions for themselves.

No, proving some science is not sufficient.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2014, 09:30:55 pm »

I think you mean "scientists"  :box: :-DD

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:51 pm »

That wasn't a funny. Low powered kettles really do use more electricity than high powered kettles.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #382 on: August 31, 2014, 10:00:26 pm »

That wasn't a funny. Low powered kettles really do use more electricity than high powered kettles.

Sorry, not a dig at you - just recalling all the other threads where people call the ones they agree with, scientists, and the ones they don't agree with, "scientists".

And I suspect in reality - before anyone gets too pedantic about it in - there are optimum power inputs & rates for heating a given volume of water (at a given purity, in a given container, etc.) to boiling. Too low, and a high a proportion of the input power is wasted keeping up with heat loss; too high, and power is wasted causing the phase change & lost as heat.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:07:23 pm by Tac Eht Xilef »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #383 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:01 pm »
I have a "brilliant" idea. Let's allow only maximum 0.5l kettles so we don't heat up unnecessary water each time  :palm:.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:27 pm »
I have a "brilliant" idea. Let's allow only maximum 0.5l kettles so we don't heat up unnecessary water each time  :palm:.

Tell that to my wife, why she find it strange that in the morning I dump most of the water on the kettle because I really don't want to wait for all that water to boil but she keeps filling it half way every night. I use an Aeropress for coffee so I need hot water for my morning coffee.

I just need one cup worth, then I refill it but in the process wasting filtered water (I should put it in a container instead of dumping it, I know).

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

You mean as brilliant as reducing the number of holes in salt shakers? Think I am joking? http://www.foodvision.cieh.org/pages/gateshead-salt-shaker-study

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2014, 10:16:53 pm »
Nasty kettles and British tv

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:07 pm »
You mean as brilliant as reducing the number of holes in salt shakers?

Yeah, but did you ever see the giant salt shakers with enormous holes used in fish and chip shops? They dispensed a veritable Niagara Falls worth of salt onto your meal. Some of us don't actually like to have our lips burning from such an overdose of salt...

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2014, 11:42:46 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I did read the noted thread, which made scant mention of tea kettles. The point of my original post to this thread was that messing about with an Englishman's tea is simply not cricket and is going to be a bit of a sticky wicket for the EU Statists.

--Many British kitchens have a dedicated outlet for the tea kettle. They fill and turn on the kettle, get the crockery, sugar, lemon and milk ready and viola the water is boiling. Now they want you to stand around waiting with your thumb up your ear. Also they have introduced flow restrictors so you have to spend an additional 10 to 15 seconds filling the teapot.

"I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled."
P. G. Wodehouse 1881 - 1975

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2014, 11:52:54 pm »
Women and ridiculous water levels in kettles just go along with Women and insane rates of toilet paper usage.

I've tried my best, but there is no way you can reason with them  |O  :-DD

I give up, life is too short...  :palm:

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2014, 11:59:43 pm »
Many British kitchens have a dedicated outlet for the tea kettle. They fill and turn on the kettle, get the crockery, sugar, lemon and milk ready and viola the water is boiling. Now they want you to stand around waiting with your thumb up your ear. Also they have introduced flow restrictors so you have to spend an additional 10 to 15 seconds filling the teapot.

Funny  :)  All sockets in British houses are the same, 240 V, 13 A, in kitchens and elsewhere. A kettle can plug into any of them. You wouldn't put lemon and milk in tea at the same time as the milk would curdle. In any case, no self-respecting British person would put lemon in their tea. Furthermore, the "flow restrictor" is a filter to keep limescale out of your cup. Many parts of Britain have hard water.

But apart from that your facts are spot on.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:29:30 am by IanB »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: This is why we should all leave the EU
« Reply #391 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:17 am »

A bunch of "electric engineers" / "science gurus" need some scientists to demonstrate that?

If you still do, you need to go back to your schools of training and ask for a full refund of your tuition + interests.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #392 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:29 am »
I make my tea a (very) lazy way so use exact amount of water I need  8) http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-tea-maker-onetouch.html
Before was never able wait to the moment when water boils so came back to the kitchen when water was already cold because I was soldering or doing something in the meantime. Or if I finally managed to brew a tea, came back when it was already a cold black goo  |O. Technology saved me  ;D.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: September 01, 2014, 12:08:45 am »
A bunch of "electric engineers" / "science gurus" need some scientists to demonstrate that?

If you still do, you need to go back to your schools of training and ask for a full refund of your tuition + interests.

I can demonstrate it fine, but we need appropriate people to demonstrate it to the bureaucrats in Brussels...

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #394 on: September 01, 2014, 12:17:09 am »
If you're smart you don't heat more water than necesarry. Since a kettle is close to 100% efficient it is easy to safe electricity that way.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: September 01, 2014, 01:15:00 am »
You mean as brilliant as reducing the number of holes in salt shakers? Think I am joking? http://www.foodvision.cieh.org/pages/gateshead-salt-shaker-study

Or increasing the holes in the cheese to save finite resources.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #396 on: September 01, 2014, 03:25:02 am »
Greeting EEVBees:

--Yes we uncivilized Yanks have been known to take lemon with our tea. When I was in the USAF, I was in London for a couple of days. My hostess had lemon, so I thought is was common practice among the Limeys.

--When Richard Feynman was a freshman at MIT, he attended a tea given by the alumni. When asked if he preferred lemon or milk, he replied "Can I have both". His hostess said "Surely you are joking, Mr. Feynman". Hence the title of the excellent book.

"Get ready Little Lady Hell is coming to breakfast"

Chief Dan George  1899  -  1981

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: September 01, 2014, 03:38:16 am »
Lemon in tea only works with light, aromatic blends, such as from China. In Britain most people favour the darker, more pungent blends from India and Africa with lots of tannins. Such blends work much better with a dash of milk than with a slice of lemon. But of course there are exceptions and some people like to swing the other way...

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2014, 03:51:11 am »
Lemon in tea only works with light, aromatic blends, such as from China. In Britain most people favour the darker, more pungent blends from India and Africa with lots of tannins. Such blends work much better with a dash of milk than with a slice of lemon. But of course there are exceptions and some people like to swing the other way...

My guess is that tea is like any other fashion, and it changes with the years.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2014, 06:04:13 am »
I'm not sure where it ranks from light to dark but I see that Orange Pekoe is used a lot with American iced tea (which frequently is served with lemon)
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf