Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2798141 times)

PlainName, Hazel, wkb and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11175 on: April 27, 2022, 04:41:39 pm »
5 Swiss-made PB screwdrivers, 1 flatblade and 4 Torx
€5 in total.

USB cable, new €0.30

HP laptop charger to complement my "drag it everywhere"
ham laptop: € 0.50

Flea market score at the "Koningsdag free market" today.

Bit of cleaning and they are as good as new.

Wilko

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #11176 on: April 27, 2022, 04:48:42 pm »
Nice!  I love PB Swiss screwdrivers - VERY well made.  Great score for a fin!   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11177 on: April 28, 2022, 07:51:21 am »
Hoppi-8  Power meter
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 07:52:57 am by johnh »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11178 on: April 29, 2022, 03:35:01 pm »
My 87V was giving me the low battery indicator so I had to buy a battery for it:

Normally I would go for Panasonic Eneloop. The problem is that Panasonic don't have 9V rechargeable Eneloop.

Now not even C and D size they have, what they have now is adapters where you put one AA and it converts for that size, while before at the beginning when the line was released that option existed.

The next logical selection for me would be the Evolta Series, but in the official Taobao shop they don't sell the 9V Evolta as the rest of the world, only the Alkaline (gold, red and and blue casing) and the Manganese (red and white casing).

They also don't have any lithium offering in their line up for the AA, AAA, C, D and 9V. So since I had tons of other rechargeable batteries from GP Batteries (for the kids toys) I was going to go to their Ultra Plus line up since I've been satisfied with their products.

They just released their own Lithium offering for their line up, I just had to give them a go.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 04:55:00 pm by Black Phoenix »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11179 on: April 29, 2022, 04:33:56 pm »
My 87V was giving me the low battery indicator so I had to buy a battery for it:

Do you have a portrait-oriented monitor of about 10,000 pixels height?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11180 on: April 29, 2022, 04:40:41 pm »

Do you have a portrait-oriented monitor of about 10,000 pixels height?

Don't tell me I fucked up the resize? Since it auto dimensions on the PC (Mozilla) and Phone.

EDIT: yes I fucked up, put the original instead of the resized one.
Sorry.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Nominal Animal

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11181 on: April 29, 2022, 05:14:04 pm »
Reminder to self, stop reading so many posts on the forum it is going to get expensive !
Dave says this is a "free" forum.....yeah right.

You and I are not the first members to notice this either.  :palm:

robrenz started a thread about it some time back, sorry I cant link the thread.

guilty as charged....... :palm:

Muttley
IMHO electronics isnt that expensive a hobby, compared to many others. And its lots of fun...

"Here’s a tough truth for Mac users of a certain vintage to confront: although we might be nostalgic about the Apple of the past, its share price prior to 2004 is pretty much a flat line compared to how it’s doing now. Which is to say, to put it bluntly, that Apple was doing things wrong back then.

But still, that nostalgia persists for us old-timers. Take Clarus, the dogcow, for example. This was a bitmap glyph originally created by Susan Kare for the Cairo dingbat font that came with the original Mac in 1984. But Clarus broke out to become an official mascot of Apple’s Developer Technical Support, and an unofficial symbol of the Mac for the rest of us.

And just look at it! It’s solid, 24-karat whimsy! It’s a purely fictional creature—half dog, half cow—that came into being through quirkiness and serendipity, and you could say it has no business in a grown-up, commercial operating system. It makes no real sense, and wasn’t really there on merit or through strategic planning, yet there it was whenever you chose Page Setup in a document.
"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 05:37:55 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11182 on: April 30, 2022, 12:45:17 am »
IMHO electronics isnt that expensive a hobby, compared to many others. And its lots of fun...

"Here’s a tough truth for Mac users of a certain vintage to confront: although we might be nostalgic about the Apple of the past, its share price prior to 2004 is pretty much a flat line compared to how it’s doing now. Which is to say, to put it bluntly, that Apple was doing things wrong back then.

But still, that nostalgia persists for us old-timers. Take Clarus, the dogcow, for example. This was a bitmap glyph originally created by Susan Kare for the Cairo dingbat font that came with the original Mac in 1984. But Clarus broke out to become an official mascot of Apple’s Developer Technical Support, and an unofficial symbol of the Mac for the rest of us.

And just look at it! It’s solid, 24-karat whimsy! It’s a purely fictional creature—half dog, half cow—that came into being through quirkiness and serendipity, and you could say it has no business in a grown-up, commercial operating system. It makes no real sense, and wasn’t really there on merit or through strategic planning, yet there it was whenever you chose Page Setup in a document.
"
MOOF!
I didn't buy it today, but around 25 years ago, a T-shirt with Clarus and the caption, "Moof!". Thanks for reminding me, it brought a smile to my face. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11183 on: May 01, 2022, 03:31:23 am »
I got some free stuff off the internet local for sale. Looks like a PIC programmer that may be repurposable as a eeprom programmer, but it could get bricked trying to do that. Some stuff in there also.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline porter

• Contributor
« Reply #11184 on: May 01, 2022, 03:36:56 am »
3478A from Valuetronics $195.  A bit of nostalgia probably driving this purchase.
The back-up battery is a Panasonic BR 2/3 that reads 3.4V.
The cal data was backed up using lmester's program plus an AR488.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11185 on: May 01, 2022, 02:47:27 pm »
   https://xdevs.com/doc/HP_Agilent_Keysight/HP%2054657A%2C%2058A%2C%2059B%20User.pdf

I bought a 54657A GPIB/Data Acquisition module for $30 to go with my daily-driver 54645A: eBay auction: #304467178603

It happens to come with a 54600A parts mule attached.  :-DD

mnem
Bonus: I might actually get to play Tetris on it! ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:55:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #11186 on: May 01, 2022, 05:45:12 pm »
Now that the Shariar Effect(tm) has worn off a bit from the [hp] Nixie counter market, time was right to make the counter stable complete(r).

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11187 on: May 01, 2022, 06:21:41 pm »
Now that the Shariar Effect(tm) has worn off a bit from the [hp] Nixie counter market, time was right to make the counter stable complete(r).

Be forewarned - the 5245L was the first hit of what turned into my nixie counter habit….   It’s a slippery slope.

-Pat

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11188 on: May 01, 2022, 11:35:52 pm »
I just acquired the HP3456A a couple of days ago and the HP5334B a month ago.  I'm pretty sure I'll need to seek professional help with my HP TE addiction now.

Bought broken, the counter needed a blown RIFA cap replacement but I also discovered a shorted tantalum on the +12V rail. It has the 1.3GHz C-channel and high-stability oven oscillator options.  I'm really happy with this save.

The 3456A is pristine!   I think it was mislabeled as broken (needed the GUARD button engaged?) so I got a good price for it.  It more or less agrees with my 34401A (10 months out of cal) on all functions but was 20 counts high on DCV. A simple tweak brought it into line.  All three multimeters are attached to an ADR4530B reference (0.02% tolerance).  I'm lovin' the math features!   

However, I've read that the ROMs go bad so I'll first desolder them and put them in sockets.  Then I'll burn a new [E]EPROM similar to xDevs' repair (although, I'll put it on a removable daughter board).  Q1: Should I also change the line filter block?   Q2: The filter caps look fine.  Should I change them too?   The latest chip date codes I see are 8147.

"A man with one watch meter knows what time voltage it is. A man with two watches meters is never sure."

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Mortymore, Trader, Atomillo

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11189 on: May 02, 2022, 01:38:32 am »
I just acquired the HP3456A a couple of days ago and the HP5334B a month ago.  I'm pretty sure I'll need to seek professional help with my HP TE addiction now.

Bought broken, the counter needed a blown RIFA cap replacement but I also discovered a shorted tantalum on the +12V rail. It has the 1.3GHz C-channel and high-stability oven oscillator options.  I'm really happy with this save.

The 3456A is pristine!   I think it was mislabeled as broken (needed the GUARD button engaged?) so I got a good price for it.  It more or less agrees with my 34401A (10 months out of cal) on all functions but was 20 counts high on DCV. A simple tweak brought it into line.  All three multimeters are attached to an ADR4530B reference (0.02% tolerance).  I'm lovin' the math features!   

However, I've read that the ROMs go bad so I'll first desolder them and put them in sockets.  Then I'll burn a new [E]EPROM similar to xDevs' repair (although, I'll put it on a removable daughter board).  Q1: Should I also change the line filter block?   Q2: The filter caps look fine.  Should I change them too?   The latest chip date codes I see are 8147.

"A man with one watch meter knows what time voltage it is. A man with two watches meters is never sure."

Join us here for 'professional' help with TEA.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

>:D >:D >:D

-Pat

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11190 on: May 02, 2022, 02:35:21 am »

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-amp-3-in-x-21-in-variable-speed-belt-sander-57587.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHFYHND/

https://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-belt-cleaner-30766.html

Bought the 2nd up from bottom of the line at Horror Fraught to go with my new woodworking bench from Horror Fraught so I can cross a few items off the ol' honey-do list, as the Bauer was $46 after $10 off coupon code expiring today. Needed features were ~1KW motor, 3x21 belt instead of 3 x 18, variable speed. Also got a gum brick for belt maintenance. :-+

Got it home and went to see what belt assortments Amazon had, and this Chinesium belt sander popped up on sale, evidently a price match as within a few cents of HFT's sale price (nothing with above minimum features anywhere near this price first time I looked), but it adds adjustable angle front grip and flip-open nose so it can conceivably be used for detail sanding.

Now I've got it on the way too, so I plan to do a battle of the cheapies and keep the winner. Unless I hate them equally, then they'll both go back after I finish a few projects.  :-DD

mnem
*toolish ol' dwagon*
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 02:38:45 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11191 on: May 03, 2022, 12:46:58 pm »

CH341A programmer bundle for 24/25 series flash.  https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-EEPROM-CH341A-Adapter-Programmer/dp/B07V2M5MVH/

Looks like a lot of flexibility and convenience for $14 via Prime so I got it to add to my collection of programming dongles.

mnem

"There's no such thing as too many dongles..."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11192 on: May 04, 2022, 01:46:48 am »
No, they love the marinara, not the Bolognese or Alfredo.  Yes, it is cruel and unusual punishment.  I am absolutely forbidden to make my dearly departed mother's angel hair pasta with olive oil and anchovy sauce served with fresh grated Romano cheese.  It brings tears to my eyes.  Funny thing, my first wife banned the dish also.  I just don't understand. |O

It might be banned here too because of all the carbs.. Cheese is okay, its got lots of whey protein but the carbs, no.  because they are really bad for us.

Thats actually true. The typical US diet is really bad for people because of all the wheat..

Rice isnt that great either.. It will give you type 2 diabetes if you let it. Olive oil is good, safflower or canola oil not so much...

I like the CH341A and various kinds of clips.. very useful..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:49:11 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
Another 34401A and some CCCP precision resistors
« Reply #11193 on: May 04, 2022, 01:25:07 pm »
Last calibration unknown (I can live with it)

Any idea what the set of resistors are worth?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Another 34401A and some CCCP precision resistors
« Reply #11194 on: May 04, 2022, 02:01:04 pm »
Last calibration unknown (I can live with it)

Impressive!
I have seen such agreement as well on a few 34401A after years of no calibration.
Some of them are just very stable.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11195 on: May 04, 2022, 06:59:21 pm »
up and down the aisles of local hardware shop

got scotch brite and a PP9, just in case
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11196 on: May 05, 2022, 06:08:43 am »
Any Lathe is better than no Lathe  :-DD

I have been looking at dropping a good chunk of change on a Lathe as my tame go to guy has more or less retired at age 83 and then this rustic toy turned up for sale 5 minutes drive from home for not very much. $300 AUpesos with metric and imperial change gears a little tooling and a faceplate so it will do me while I save likely at least 10X that lot for what I want to get.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, thm_w, mnementh

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11197 on: May 05, 2022, 06:12:03 am »
Some more trinkets to the test leads:

• 4x Crocodile clips 4mm
  • 4x Shrouded to Unshrouded adapters

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11198 on: May 05, 2022, 12:29:35 pm »
No, they love the marinara, not the Bolognese or Alfredo.  Yes, it is cruel and unusual punishment.  I am absolutely forbidden to make my dearly departed mother's angel hair pasta with olive oil and anchovy sauce served with fresh grated Romano cheese.  It brings tears to my eyes.  Funny thing, my first wife banned the dish also.  I just don't understand. |O

It might be banned here too because of all the carbs.. Cheese is okay, its got lots of whey protein but the carbs, no.  because they are really bad for us.

Thats actually true. The typical US diet is really bad for people because of all the wheat..

Rice isn't that great either.. It will give you type 2 diabetes if you let it. Olive oil is good, safflower or canola oil not so much...

I like the CH341A and various kinds of clips.. very useful...
And yet the people you always read about living to a hundred and something are usually Asians living in Asia... and of course, you know what the primary staple of those diets is. ;)

I've been doing keto on/off for over a decade... while I do yo-yo, it's the only diet I've ever actually been able to keep up long enuf to actually lose any appreciable weight due to a back injury which limits my ability to remain standing for any long periods of time. The key for me will be to make it the way I eat all the time, which is really hard in a house full of kids.

But all that misery does make me think... do you suppose maybe Western medicine/dieticians might just maybe have it all wrong?  ???

I mean... the people who make our food fill it all with fat and starch because that is most profitable... the only way to not gain weight on that crap is to not eat it.  |O

mnem
 :horse:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11199 on: May 05, 2022, 12:36:37 pm »
   Any Lathe is better than no Lathe  :-DD   $300 AUpesos with metric and imperial change gears...

I'm totes jelly, man. That little beast would do me for everything I want a lathe for the rest of my life.  :clap:

Cheers!

mnem
*toolish ol' dwagon*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf