Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2795958 times)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11800 on: December 31, 2022, 03:18:21 am »
Yet another STM32 evaluation board, I think this is the only cheap board with USB HS PHY.
Teensy 4 is cheaper, and has two USB PHYs, both high speed (480 Mbit/s).
Wow this looks interesting, except it doesn't have a real USB socket.
For a hobbyist like myself, it's a good platform.  It isn't really suitable for someone designing their own boards based on NXP i.MX RT106x chips, because the bootloader on the MKL02 chip on the board is proprietary.  (Except for general evaluation and testing of the platform.)

Only one USB connector is soldered in (USB Micro-B, 5-pin); this one is also used for programming, no separate programmer is used.  One must solder the second one on; I recommend cutting a cable and soldering the wires to the pads.  Testing on Linux shows that even in Arduino/Teensyduino, over USB Serial, one can achieve well over 200 Mbit/s transfer rates using the main one.  I haven't tested the second one, nor bulk USB transfer rates, carefully enough to say how close to theoretical maximum bandwidth one can get.

For development, I habitually use a cheap ADuM3160-based USB isolator (limited to full speed, 12 Mbit/s) off eBay, more to make sure my laptop USB ports won't get damaged due to my butterfingery than anything else.  They're all based on the application example off the datasheet, and the only real variance is the isolated DC-DC converter they use – some are more efficient, some less, but all limit the maximum current one can draw somewhat.  I'm waiting for the high-speed isolators based on TI ISOUSB211 and others to come on the market.

PJRC does have some Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 in stock right now, 2022-12-30.

For Teensy 4.1, I recommend also getting the PSRAM (or two, 16 Mbytes of PSRAM is really nice for so little money), and the Ethernet kit.  Also, on 4.1 the other USB port is available on pins, so you can use the USB host cable.

The NXP MKL02 chip contains the proprietary bootloader and PJRC-specific Teensy stuff, and uses the JTAG interface.  PJRC does sell the pre-programmed MKL02 chips, if one wants to make their own Teensy-compatible board.  Currently, suitable IMXRT1062DV*6B or IMXRT1062DV*6A chips are very difficult to find, though.

The PJRC (Teensy) Forum is quite active, and Paul Stoffregen (creator of Teensies) actively answers questions there.  You can find his Arduino and Teensyduino code at his GitHub repositories.

The following users thanked this post: gamalot, MK14, DiTBho

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11801 on: December 31, 2022, 09:19:40 am »
Yet another STM32 evaluation board, I think this is the only cheap board with USB HS PHY.
Teensy 4 is cheaper, and has two USB PHYs, both high speed (480 Mbit/s).
Wow this looks interesting, except it doesn't have a real USB socket.
For a hobbyist like myself, it's a good platform.  It isn't really suitable for someone designing their own boards based on NXP i.MX RT106x chips, because the bootloader on the MKL02 chip on the board is proprietary.  (Except for general evaluation and testing of the platform.)

Only one USB connector is soldered in (USB Micro-B, 5-pin); this one is also used for programming, no separate programmer is used.  One must solder the second one on; I recommend cutting a cable and soldering the wires to the pads.  Testing on Linux shows that even in Arduino/Teensyduino, over USB Serial, one can achieve well over 200 Mbit/s transfer rates using the main one.  I haven't tested the second one, nor bulk USB transfer rates, carefully enough to say how close to theoretical maximum bandwidth one can get.

For development, I habitually use a cheap ADuM3160-based USB isolator (limited to full speed, 12 Mbit/s) off eBay, more to make sure my laptop USB ports won't get damaged due to my butterfingery than anything else.  They're all based on the application example off the datasheet, and the only real variance is the isolated DC-DC converter they use – some are more efficient, some less, but all limit the maximum current one can draw somewhat.  I'm waiting for the high-speed isolators based on TI ISOUSB211 and others to come on the market.

PJRC does have some Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 in stock right now, 2022-12-30.

For Teensy 4.1, I recommend also getting the PSRAM (or two, 16 Mbytes of PSRAM is really nice for so little money), and the Ethernet kit.  Also, on 4.1 the other USB port is available on pins, so you can use the USB host cable.

The NXP MKL02 chip contains the proprietary bootloader and PJRC-specific Teensy stuff, and uses the JTAG interface.  PJRC does sell the pre-programmed MKL02 chips, if one wants to make their own Teensy-compatible board.  Currently, suitable IMXRT1062DV*6B or IMXRT1062DV*6A chips are very difficult to find, though.

The PJRC (Teensy) Forum is quite active, and Paul Stoffregen (creator of Teensies) actively answers questions there.  You can find his Arduino and Teensyduino code at his GitHub repositories.

Thank you so much for your informative input! I've been using the STM32 lately, the last time I used an NXP MCU was the LPC1700 series about a decade ago. I like to collect a few (cheap) evaluation boards from different manufacturers just in case I need them, sadly most of the boards I get back are never really used, like those multimeters and power supplies.  :-DD

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11802 on: December 31, 2022, 06:59:50 pm »
Bought a SDM3055 Siglent multimeter

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:27:32 pm by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Martin72, duckduck, Peter_O

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11803 on: January 01, 2023, 04:56:31 pm »
UV-LED stripes, 2 6W UV-lamps, Alufoil, 5l 12% hydrogen peroxide and a transparent storage box.
Result: Nice.. 8)

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11804 on: January 01, 2023, 06:50:34 pm »
Not purchase, but I finally got round to swapping out the office shelves.  Plastic garage shelving -> Kallax 5x5 180mmX180mm.

The first page of instructions had a warning.  The first one was "Don't do it alone."  So since I'd already broken the first rule I decided the rest of the manual could be taken with as much respect.  They want you lay it out on the floor while you build it.  I don't have anywhere in the house I can lay out a 6ft by 6ft shelf on the ground!

So I improvised.  Turns out you can build them upright just fine.  Getting the screws in the bottom requires something to jack it up with, it's HEAVY about 40Kg.  Your foot will NOT do.

It definitely a lot more efficient use of the storage.  The 1ft x 1ft sub units fit most things.

The next phase is clearning the bench and installing another Kallax 4x4 this time ontop of the desk as a backdrop for shelves, scopes, siggens etc. etc.  Leaving the bench theoretically "clearable" after a session.  We'll see if that happens.

Have to work out what to do with the 3D printer.  It can't stay on the bench and wont fit in/on a kallax.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11805 on: January 01, 2023, 08:47:42 pm »
The next phase is clearning the bench and installing another Kallax 4x4 this time ontop of the desk as a backdrop for shelves, scopes, siggens etc. etc.  Leaving the bench theoretically "clearable" after a session.  We'll see if that happens.

Wouldn't use a Kallax for equipment, those things have an extremely low weight limit of like 10 kg per shelf and 25 kg on top. I wanted to buy one for the same purpose, but decided against it since it's basically a glorified cardboard box with a glossy finish.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11806 on: January 01, 2023, 09:51:00 pm »
Two 68HC11E boards
One is dead(1), one is ... somehow(2) working.
Paid 5 UKP for both  ;D

(1) the CPU does not even respond in debug mode.
It's DIP, I have to buy a replacement on eBay.

(2) the UV-EPROM was empty. I reprogrammed with BUFFALO/11.
8Kbytes of ram isn't that bad for such a card
uart wires were not wired to anything, I added a TTL-2-RS232 adaper.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11807 on: January 01, 2023, 10:40:14 pm »

Wouldn't use a Kallax for equipment, those things have an extremely low weight limit of like 10 kg per shelf and 25 kg on top. I wanted to buy one for the same purpose, but decided against it since it's basically a glorified cardboard box with a glossy finish.

That's 65kg per vertical.  What are you packing in your lab?  All my stuff was made after 2000.  There are no 10Kg transformers here.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline w.v.s.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11808 on: January 02, 2023, 03:24:07 pm »
First time that I've ordered PCBs myself from China and first time using gEDA to design them. Much better and much more comfortable than etching them myself, which I did more than ten years ago.

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11809 on: January 02, 2023, 03:54:07 pm »
Just for fun, I bought a uni-t 122B. Have to watch what I grab: my phone or multimeter  :D

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11810 on: January 03, 2023, 02:20:16 pm »
Scored this for the local equivalent of USD112. Bought sight unseen, although it's the older version, it turns out that it's almost spotless, with a display that looks brand new. Everything appears to work like it should, though I haven't properly put it through it's paces yet.

Interestingly there are no cal stickers, or any evidence that there has ever been any. I can only assume that it's spent most of its life in a store room.

This is quite a contrast to my usual purchases, which tend to require some panel beating to get them back into shape :horse:

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, xrunner, Mortymore, duckduck

Offline w.v.s.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11811 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:48 pm »
Finally found and offer where I could not resist any longer to get one of those. Have been looking at them for several years, now.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Zucca, Mortymore, duckduck, bigfoot22

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11812 on: January 04, 2023, 09:01:46 am »
Tomorrow the postman will bring a Tiny SA Ultra.

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11813 on: January 04, 2023, 09:23:00 am »

You won't be disappointed. Mine arrive at the end of November and I'm still impressed.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11814 on: January 04, 2023, 11:48:20 pm »
Finally found and offer where I could not resist any longer to get one of those. Have been looking at them for several years, now.

Ah the Keithley 2400 is a fantastic piece of hardware.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11815 on: January 05, 2023, 08:09:50 am »
Had one on the radar too but was undecided and now missed the december delivery. Maybe I should just order one to get it next round in february.

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11816 on: January 05, 2023, 12:08:48 pm »
Mine was also scheduled for delivery at the end of February.
My supplier (www.eleshop.nl) told me a customer had cancelled an order. Strange customer  :D

Had one on the radar too but was undecided and now missed the december delivery. Maybe I should just order one to get it next round in february.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11817 on: January 05, 2023, 01:52:28 pm »
Bonjour à Tous, Bon Nouvelle Année!

I have ~ Have 12 (!) handheld DVMs(!),  all old and inaccurate and/or cheap Chinese junk. And lots of Simpson 260, Triplett analog VOMs.
My best is new  Keysight 34465a 6.5 digit laboratory bench-top. Hardly a field pocket DVM!

Inspired by EEV blog,  researched handheld DVMs.
Have Fluke electricians T5-600  clamp on, 1AC-AII, voltage hot sticks:    great quality, very long lasting. Considered Fluke 287, too delicate, display not robust, overkill for a DVM.

Decided on  Fluke 87V industrial DVM, best value for a versatile, long lasting, error indication, backlight long bat life, beeper.  Current cat, USA not China, Fluke lifetime warranty is a big plus.
On Epay several in auction, just  won ~  1/2 new price.....included  Fluke leads and yellow silicone bumper.

Arrived, like new, leads still wrapped.  Great design, ergonomic controls, display and leak-proof 9V battery compartment.
At CAL lab, high resolution,  4.5 digits, well within spec on every range, using best  lab standards for R, C, VDC, VAC, F, Temp,
Should have bought the Fluke 87V  years ago!

Next one will be the 87V MAX = IP67, super rugged, many extras….

My highest recommendation! Your thoughts appreciated!

Bon Soirée

Jon

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:54:26 pm by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, ledtester, Mortymore, BillyO

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11818 on: January 06, 2023, 02:57:56 am »
Bonjour à Tous, Bon Nouvelle Année!

I have ~ Have 12 (!) handheld DVMs(!),  all old and inaccurate and/or cheap Chinese junk. And lots of Simpson 260, Triplett analog VOMs.
My best is new  Keysight 34465a 6.5 digit laboratory bench-top. Hardly a field pocket DVM!

Inspired by EEV blog,  researched handheld DVMs.
Have Fluke electricians T5-600  clamp on, 1AC-AII, voltage hot sticks:    great quality, very long lasting. Considered Fluke 287, too delicate, display not robust, overkill for a DVM.

Decided on  Fluke 87V industrial DVM, best value for a versatile, long lasting, error indication, backlight long bat life, beeper.  Current cat, USA not China, Fluke lifetime warranty is a big plus.
On Epay several in auction, just  won ~  1/2 new price.....included  Fluke leads and yellow silicone bumper.

Arrived, like new, leads still wrapped.  Great design, ergonomic controls, display and leak-proof 9V battery compartment.
At CAL lab, high resolution,  4.5 digits, well within spec on every range, using best  lab standards for R, C, VDC, VAC, F, Temp,
Should have bought the Fluke 87V  years ago!

Next one will be the 87V MAX = IP67, super rugged, many extras….

My highest recommendation! Your thoughts appreciated!

Bon Soirée

Jon
Yeah, trust Fluke to upstage a piece of calibration equipment!

Nice score on both accounts!

Bon nuit.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11819 on: January 06, 2023, 07:32:02 pm »
A second hand KingJim Pomera DM250 From Japan  ;D

The KJP is a line of dedicated word processors (Digital Memo) mainly for the Japanese market. The owner is a Japanese journalist, and assured me the firmware supports Unicode, all text files are saved in UTF-8 with BOM, and both the UI and keyboard layout can switch to English by hiting Alt+Space to turn off Japanese input.

Otherwise, well ...  I think I will just look like a Japanese writer or something :o :o :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #11820 on: January 07, 2023, 02:32:07 am »

Some people replace immediately the big caps in the PSU section, because in the K200x meters they leak very very often.... so they do not wanna risk a K2400....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline LesWright

• https://www.youtube.com/leslaboratory
« Reply #11821 on: January 07, 2023, 02:25:30 pm »
A very nice Tek TDS754C It had to be done!

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11822 on: January 07, 2023, 04:27:18 pm »
Just because  :-//

Here it is against an older smoke alarm.

I found my old Westclox with glowing face upwards of 30+ µSv/h  :scared:

Haven't found anything else yet.

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11823 on: January 09, 2023, 10:17:46 am »
I just received a 'handy' Sencore "The Substitutor". It even came with its original packaging and paperwork. Inside it looks untouched and is suffering from only one slight problem  :palm: - somehow the retaining nut on the big old caps had come loose and those aformentioned beefy tubes had been 'flapping around in the breeze'. Unfortunately the result is a broken custom wafer switch and, as it stands, no more 'lytic range. I'm thinking superglue...

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11824 on: January 09, 2023, 10:46:39 am »
Likely you can swap it with a standard wafer switch, they are not that uncommon, just have to get one with 10 ways from around that vintage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf