Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2799364 times)

Offline nahoskins

Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #1225 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:10 am »
If by purchased you mean liberated from a dumpster....

Some kind of heater, next step is the desoldering process! But look at that nice mounting surface! Beautiful!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:46:08 am by nahoskins »

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #1226 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58:45 am »
Some kind of heater...

Hand drier.
As found in a restaurant bathroom/toilet or such places.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1227 on: April 27, 2016, 03:37:30 am »
I picked up a Wavetek 278 function generator.  12 MHz, GPIB, synthesized, external reference input, etc.  They were asking $125, but stated that there was no output.  I offered $50 and they took it.  With this function generator, you have to turn the output on!  :palm:  And it takes a three-button key sequence to do it!!   |O

It has some issues on some ranges, but it's somewhat alive.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1228 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:52 am »
Nice one. I got my Marconi 2019A because the poor guy who was selling it couldn't get a signal out of it. The default attenuator setting is basically 'off'. Pop in -13dBm and wham, sorted.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: April 27, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »
I picked up a Wavetek 278 function generator.  12 MHz, GPIB, synthesized, external reference input, etc.  They were asking $125, but stated that there was no output.  I offered $50 and they took it.  With this function generator, you have to turn the output on!  :palm:  And it takes a three-button key sequence to do it!!   |O

Oh good grief. I bought one of those exact ones at an auction several years ago. I ended up giving it away because it "didn't work" and I didn't have the time to look into it. I guess I can chalk that one up to user error/stupidity. In my own defence, I looked for a manual online and couldn't find one, so I didn't know any better.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1230 on: April 27, 2016, 01:38:21 pm »
/Sue drooling all over herself at the sight of all that HP Iron.

How about iron iron?

Finally found a place with a 14 lb sledge in stock, as oppose to the pansy 10 lb and wimpy 12 lb sledges. Also with a fiberglass handle, which I need since this is going to get left in the bush for nearly a year while I take random trips there to pound on something. A wooden handle would get eaten by termites, and the 14 lb sledge I already have has a wooden handle. Plus I use it for breaking firewood.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1231 on: April 27, 2016, 02:55:54 pm »
Just be careful and keep it away from the nixie tubes!!  :P :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1232 on: April 27, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »
14lbs attitude readjustment tool. Should do the trick. :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1233 on: April 27, 2016, 04:28:03 pm »
Going opal mining Guy?

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: April 27, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »
Going opal mining Guy?

yeah I have to ask, what are pounding that requires you abandoning that hammer for long stretches?

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1235 on: April 27, 2016, 05:51:46 pm »

Oh good grief. I bought one of those exact ones at an auction several years ago. I ended up giving it away because it "didn't work" and I didn't have the time to look into it. I guess I can chalk that one up to user error/stupidity. In my own defence, I looked for a manual online and couldn't find one, so I didn't know any better.

I found the manual online.  I read it.  I thought about it.  It still took a while before the light turned on.

<command key>, <command value>, <execute>

Seriously??!!  This seemed like a good idea??  Just to turn on the bloody output?? ::) :palm: |O

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1236 on: April 27, 2016, 06:21:00 pm »
I found the manual online.  I read it.  I thought about it.  It still took a while before the light turned on.

Sounds like someone was enamored with programming 1970s minicomputers!

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:22 pm »

Sounds like someone was enamored with programming 1970s minicomputers!

You could be right.  The copyright date in the manual is 1983 so the user interface would have been designed a year or two before that.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1238 on: April 28, 2016, 07:48:24 am »
Going opal mining Guy?

yeah I have to ask, what are pounding that requires you abandoning that hammer for long stretches?

Maybe he's a Hotel owner?.... http://shsthepapercut.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/the_shining_2.jpg

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1239 on: April 28, 2016, 11:29:07 am »
Another U1253b, my favourite meter by some way, I really like the OLED contrast and viewing angle.
Favourite No 2 is Dave's new 235, I like the overall (small) size and (large) display.
The 'buggers' are discontinuing the U1253b so its now or never.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1240 on: April 28, 2016, 11:36:56 am »
Another U1253b, my favourite meter by some way, I really like the OLED contrast and viewing angle.
Favourite No 2 is Dave's new 235, I like the overall (small) size and (large) display.
The 'buggers' are discontinuing the U1253b so its now or never.

What are the advantages over U1273A? More counts, basic signal gen; others?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1241 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:46 pm »
I don't think that much, a bit more DC accuracy 0.025% (U1253b) vs 0.05% (U1273A/X),
I was left with the impression from photos that the 1273 was bigger but looking at the spec sheets they are v similar.
The 1253 has a rechargeable battery - only 8hrs or so of continuous use but I have the habit of switching off between measurements (mostly) so it hasn't worried me. The leads that come with the 1253 are nice and supple , not like the U1282 (which is quite a bit bigger/heavier also)
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: April 28, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »
Yes, it's not that big. Furthermore, it's curved in the right way - fits really nice in your hand. Would call it sexy, even, if only it didn't just feel wrong ;) The batteries last much longer than 8 hours. Unfortunately it takes 4 x AAA (hate those) but rechargeables do work just fine.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: April 28, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »
Going opal mining Guy?

Maybe he's a Hotel owner?.... http://shsthepapercut.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/the_shining_2.jpg

McBryce.

I started fixing my one today, put the new handle in, and used some epoxy to fix it in place. Leaving to cure overnight, will start the varnishing tomorrow as I have some other wood to finish varnishing, doing a new handrail.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1244 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:34 pm »
Agilent 33220A waveform generator.

It came with no backlight because of the CCFL lamp has been burned, and I used 5 green SMD LEDs in series to replace it, now I have the world first green 33220A.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1245 on: April 28, 2016, 11:45:16 pm »
Nicely done. Looks pretty even.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #1246 on: April 29, 2016, 12:48:18 am »
Agilent 33220A waveform generator.

It came with no backlight because of the CCFL lamp has been burned, and I used 5 green SMD LEDs in series to replace it, now I have the world first green 33220A.  :-DD

I like that you didn't use blue LEDs.  I hate blue LEDs in displays.  They are hard to read.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: April 29, 2016, 12:53:18 am »
gamalot, very nicely done.  :-+

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1248 on: April 29, 2016, 12:58:09 am »
 Something about green - that's why I like the VFD on my Fluke 45.   :-+   Down with blue backlit LCD's!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1249 on: April 29, 2016, 01:09:25 am »
Going opal mining Guy?

It's a long story. Condensed version: There's a lovely spot in the bush near Sydney with 3 generations of family history.  Has a great swimming hole, that always (since at least 1900) had a large fine white sandy beach on one side. This is due to the way flood current flows - it goes down one side, hits a barrier, curves around and spreads out, dropping carried sand on the beach. Floods get about six to eight feet deep. Back around 2002 the area had a severe bushfire; surrounding hills up the entire valley were left with bare ground. Then in the next few years there were some severe floods - high rainfall plus the rapid runnoff. Result: three huge rocks washed down the river and wedged, just upstream from the swimming hole. In subsequent floods the result is the pool's current swirl is absent, replaced by a sharp jet that cuts across the back of the beach and is working on cutting a channel through the downstream barrier that forms the pool.  The beach is already mostly gone, and each flood cuts more away, including from the bank.

So, I'm removing the wedged boulders. Once they are gone the flow will be as before, and the beach will gradually rebuild, though it may take a long time. Decades? 100+years? Doesn't matter.

The largest boulder is the size of a big car. I wish I'd seen that flood, it must have been pretty spectacular.
Yesterday was my third rockbreaking trip there, the small and medium boulders are now gone, and I've started on the big one. Mostly working with rock-splitting wedges and small mallets, but that 14 lb sledge really makes a difference for stubborn bits.

I call it Molly. Like Thor's hammer Molnir, but the Aussie version. "Oh, you don't want to break? Have a little chat with Molly. She's very persuasive."

Please, no 'helpful' suggestions about explosives, jack hammers, crackamite, or anything else that can't be used in this location for multiple reasons, including legal and logistical. I've already been through all that on another forum. If I had a way to manually drill deep holes in the big rock at any decent speed, yes, crackamite or 'feathers and wedges', would save some time. But everything has to be carried in, and it's over an hour's walk, some off-track. First trip my pack was 30Kg, yesterday with the sledge and some other stuff it was 26Kg. And even with present methods around half the work is carting the rubble away and tidying up. The aim is to leave the site pristine, as if the recent boulders were never there.

I'm doing a time-lapse photo-series. After the rock-moving work is finished I'll post it.
Couple of pics below are the final stages with the medium-sized rock. It was already much smaller than its original size. Gives a good idea of the amount of work in cleanup too. All that rubble is now moved, though only to a temporary intermediate location. First priority was to get it out of the flood stream-path, otherwise it could get washed into the pool in a flood.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:58:55 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf