Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801015 times)

jhenderson0107 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #12975 on: April 04, 2024, 02:58:38 pm »
"bottle of water"  >:D
100% alcohol may be a bit of a reach statement though.

I have some 99.9% IPA, but don't think I've ever seen 100%. Color me skeptical at what the difference could be in that 0.1%.

Me neither, I buy the MG Chemicals 99.9% pure anhydrous.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #12976 on: April 04, 2024, 03:02:03 pm »
Well, I guess I technically didn't "buy" this, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to have one :)

NPA stands for Network Problem Analyzer, I guess ?

Since it was released today - it's network power analyzer :)
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, thm_w, audiotubes

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12977 on: April 04, 2024, 07:48:35 pm »
... never knowingly, until today a JIS screwdriver  :palm:

(Vessel) after  a bit of a run of "exotic" brands - Hasegawa, Excelta, Erem/Weller

Re. the JIS rabbit hole

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12978 on: April 05, 2024, 01:00:21 am »
Apricot and Nectarien trees

Spring plantihg!

Weight was ~ 30 kg ea, two for $80 at Costco....

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, KE5FX

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #12979 on: April 05, 2024, 06:09:38 am »
Spent way to much on non Electronics while I was doing 'stuff' for others the last week, better get back to selling some excess now things are 'normal' whatever that is :palm:

Couple of Noga mag bases and tops, one ex USA and the other a local Pawnshop seller.

6" Magnetic suppository with a bit of a cosmetic issue but seriously 'cheap' for what it is.

Likely a Mitutoyo comparator stand (not specified) to make a squareness comparator because it is hip to be square. Crazy cheap even with post from the USA

6" Sine plate, sold the last remaining part of what is now a 4th morgage on the remaining kidney to a sub prime lender for this. Still far better than anything locally available.

All up about $500 USD landed so I think it is a Win  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12980 on: April 05, 2024, 12:27:19 pm »
I've got an Aristo Hyperbolog slide rule.
Something about the box tells me that the previous owner was into electronics.

2098937-0

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #12981 on: April 05, 2024, 03:08:16 pm »

Korean keyboard stickers
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12982 on: April 05, 2024, 07:06:28 pm »
...ok, now it's time to find myself a reason why I absolutely needed to order this little thingy

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline DiodeDipShit

• Contributor
  • Olde School Electronics Guy
« Reply #12983 on: April 05, 2024, 07:38:51 pm »
I just bought a Harrison Laboratories 855B Power Supply. Out with the old homemade bridged variac. In with ..... an old ....
Any five fifty five will do ......

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #12984 on: April 05, 2024, 08:38:25 pm »
A mini vise for my mini bench drill, made of aluminum.
Then a transistor tester arrived from China.
Normally I am not interested in such devices, but this one is different from others:
hfe up to 10mA, then Uce sat up to 2A, and finally Uce breakdown up to 1000V...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12985 on: April 05, 2024, 09:11:40 pm »
Normally I am not interested in such devices, but this one is different from others:
Looks interesting.....
Review thread to come ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #12986 on: April 05, 2024, 09:34:01 pm »
I had that in mind, yes.
We once had a project that was developed at the end of the 60s, a DC/AC inverter based on transistors.
They had to be selected for gain and Uce sat, and there was special measuring equipment for that.
We still have them... ;)
If I can find the transistors, that would at least be a valid comparison.
Otherwise, I will test and comment on the device elsewhere, but this will only take place after the presentation of the power analysis function of the SDS800X HD, due to time constraints.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12987 on: April 06, 2024, 12:06:43 am »
It's not only for transistors, but pretty much for anything. An interesting device indeed.

It goes way over 1 kV, it's more like up to 1.5 kV in reality.

One problem is that it ramps up the voltage too fast, so fast that it fails to detect the breakdown threshold, and too fast for the display and the user to see anything meaningful on the screen if that happens. This is an issue for parts with Vbr on the lower side: I tried to measure, for example, a particular MLCC, but could not: it broke down before the device could sense it. Maybe only an issue with capacitors, though, need to check something else with low Vbr. Maybe a 12-volt zener? :)

I wonder if it's possible to make that ramp slower. If the timing is set in firmware, which is likely, then the answer is most likely no, unless it's possible to download and reverse engineer it, but otherwise, if it's something like an RC network, then maybe. I haven't yet opened mine, no idea what's inside.

p.s. it works fine from a 5V DC supply despite the "6V" printed near the input power jack :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 12:24:35 am by shapirus »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12988 on: April 06, 2024, 12:19:56 am »
Maybe only an issue with capacitors, though, need to check something else with low Vbr. Maybe a 12-volt zener? :)
No need for guesswork:

That's a 5V6 zener diode all right.

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12989 on: April 06, 2024, 01:25:43 am »
Those low-cost vises have convenient M5 tapped holes on top, perfect for DIY custom jaws, e.g. 3D-printed.
I used a couple of pieces of alu and cut a little groove into the edges, making it handy for clamping PCBs (although it can only handle small boards).

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Martin72

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12990 on: April 06, 2024, 10:46:23 am »
...ok, now it's time to find myself a reason why I absolutely needed to order this little thingy

(Attachment Link)

When you find out, let me know. I've been asking myself the same thing for over a year, while looking for situations where it would be a better solution than the DSA815-TG that it's sitting beside.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12991 on: April 06, 2024, 12:52:22 pm »

(Attachment Link)

When you find out, let me know. I've been asking myself the same thing for over a year, while looking for situations where it would be a better solution than the DSA815-TG that it's sitting beside.

McBryce.
Well, of course I started with attaching the antenna and checking what's out there on air. This device has a rudimentary "listen" function and a 3.5 mm audio jack output, so I used it. Apparently it can decode both AM and FM, and that happens transparently: there seems to be no setting to choose the mod. type.
Discovered that there's *a lot* still going on in the SW band, managed to receive something that sounded like Chinese (?!) at ~7.35-7.42 MHz, some apparently UK-based station which told a story about Her Majesty at 10-ish MHz IIRC, and a lot of others.
That's fun, but to do that seriously I would need a better antenna and a proper radio, of course.
Found some peaks in the ~195-202 MHz range, which are dedicated to radio broadcasting, per our regulations, but couldn't pick any voice there (but I need to retry during day time, as that time I tried it in the middle of the night).

It's weird that it's not level-calibrated above 5.35 GHz from factory. Why? They expect the users to have their own 5.35 GHz signal source and use that. Well yeah sure I have loads of those sitting on my desk. Not that I really need to measure anything that high, was just curious if my 802.11ac WiFi signal would show up, for which level calibration isn't required anyway, as a relative measurement would be fine too. It didn't show up, though, maybe I was doing something wrong.

The signal generator is rudimentary: frequency accuracy is so-so, jitter is terrible, and output level stability is questionable, but it still may come in handy if you need a RF signal and don't have any other generator. AM modulation seems to use what looks like a 3-bit DAC to set the amplitude.

On the other hand, when I enabled the Cal output, the 10 MHz frequency accuracy there was really good -- from my initial estimation (via a freq counter with a known error at 10 MHz), it was very close, below 1 ppm, to my GPSDO, but I need to repeat this test with them sitting side by side.

As far as its primary purpose, which analyzing spectra, it seems to be quite good, well, that's what it's popular for. What would I use it for besides checking what radio waves are out there? Can be used to estimate how clean a generator's sine wave output is. Or, I'm going to try to estimate edge speeds of the pulses produced by my pulse generator, which is faster than my scope is capable of, using the method described in tggzzz's blog, but I'm waiting for some feed-through attenuators to arrive first.

Menu tree can give clues to what else can be done using it. I haven't yet dived into all of that.

missed this part:

while looking for situations where it would be a better solution than the DSA815-TG that it's sitting beside.

I don't have any other SA, so obviously for me it's first of all an SA. But other than that... Portability, at least, and maybe something else.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 02:34:00 pm by shapirus »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #12992 on: April 06, 2024, 01:22:08 pm »
I use it to find what devices are emitting around me
and I don't have any other SA beside so I use it from time to time !

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12993 on: April 07, 2024, 05:09:21 pm »
On the other hand, when I enabled the Cal output, the 10 MHz frequency accuracy there was really good -- from my initial estimation (via a freq counter with a known error at 10 MHz), it was very close, below 1 ppm, to my GPSDO, but I need to repeat this test with them sitting side by side.
So yeah it's quite impressive. About 10 minutes after powering on, the 10 MHz signal on the TinySA Ultra's calibration output had only ~0.15 Hz (which is 15 ppb) difference against the GPSDO, then at ~40 min after power-on the frequencies became equal and then the difference became non-zero again and changed polarity. And I'm not really sure if that's not the GPSDO tuning its frequency, as it hasn't been powered on for long enough, either. I'll let them both run for a couple more hours and see if and where it stabilizes.

The GPSDO is a TM4313. A cheap one, but should be more than good enough for this kind of comparison.

One way or another, that's way less than 1 Hz difference at 10 MHz so far. Definitely very good.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 05:14:23 pm by shapirus »

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12994 on: April 08, 2024, 06:42:34 am »
just got from Amazon under £20 - Yuange TV LED backlight tester - a bit of fun and could help salvage a 42-inch LG TV  :-\

... and power lead plug fitted my spare euro/uk adaptor  :)

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12995 on: April 08, 2024, 11:19:08 am »
So yeah it's quite impressive. About 10 minutes after powering on, the 10 MHz signal on the TinySA Ultra's calibration output had only ~0.15 Hz (which is 15 ppb) difference against the GPSDO, then at ~40 min after power-on the frequencies became equal and then the difference became non-zero again and changed polarity. And I'm not really sure if that's not the GPSDO tuning its frequency, as it hasn't been powered on for long enough, either. I'll let them both run for a couple more hours and see if and where it stabilizes.

The GPSDO is a TM4313. A cheap one, but should be more than good enough for this kind of comparison.

One way or another, that's way less than 1 Hz difference at 10 MHz so far. Definitely very good.
Update: so it stabilizes at about 0.3 Hz difference, which is 30 ppb, unless my math is wrong.
Not sure which sign though. If I set the scope to trigger on the GPSDO's signal, then the TinySA Ultra's signal is moving to the left. I'm failing to figure out which of the signals is ticking slower in this case.

ch2 (trigger: ch2): GPSDO, ch1: TinySA Ultra.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12996 on: April 09, 2024, 12:47:38 pm »
a 80s friction downtube shifter made by a Bulgarian company
and two Teres1 DIY laptop kits from Olimex for my friends
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12997 on: April 10, 2024, 04:03:06 pm »
Around May, the postman will deliver two Post versalog slide rules, the 1460 and the 1461 both in prestine condition.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, cosmicray

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12998 on: April 11, 2024, 02:05:00 am »
fenix E03 V2.0 flashlight. Normally I don't buy things that have non replaceable batteries but this is the exception. key chain sun
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:06:34 am by coppercone2 »

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12999 on: April 11, 2024, 12:08:26 pm »
I got myself one of these:
https://www.radiacode.com/

An RC103.  Awesome bit of kit.

At the moment I am trying to capture a 24 hour spectrum in my kitchen, which I can then use as a base background for other spectra.

After looking through the house top to bottom, I don't have anything more radioactive than the cat or myself.

The background spectra is looking fairly normal.  Lots of low end noise, but clear "bumps" for Ra226 chains and K40.  That was just from a 1 hour spectra.

I look forward to testing the mapping function.

Other purchases....

* A vile of broken uranium/vaseline glass (I have no interest in pretty glass ware!).
* An ionisation smoke alarm, as all of mine are optical.

If I wasn't on "that" list before, I am now.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf