Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2798393 times)

Grandchuck and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4500 on: November 08, 2017, 09:58:30 am »
I shared a table at Kempton Park on Sunday with a friend of mine.  The rally was quite busy with more test equipment than usual on offer. Prices ranged from reasonable to eye wateringly expensive stuff. I was offering my surplus test gear as usual & sold everything I brought except a Solartron 7060 DMM.  I do mean every piece of proper test kit that I brought along.

Most people there seemed intent on buying IF prices were sensible. I guess my pricing was which is why stuff sold.

My plan was to sell & not buy anything but I failed miserably. I bought a few of the Schaffner filters used on the Solartron instruments for £2-50 ea. These are always failing & really expensive new. I also bought 3 large boxes of assorted ICs. My guess is ~500 tubes - most part used - but still a potentially useful collection. Apart from test gear I also collect semiconductors an the basis that these will be very useful one day to repair something.  The car was almost as full coming home as when I left. At least ICs are easier to store.

Phil
Sounds like you had a very good day then, strange why the 7060 never sold, perhaps I should have come after all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Oldtestgear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4501 on: November 08, 2017, 11:56:46 am »
I hope that this is not inappropriate but I had it listed at £40. It has all the options fitted & is working but not calibrated. My guess is it was last calibrated a very long time ago. These are still nice to use with a decent LED display. I am keeping one for my spare DMM stock. If you are interested then drop me a message & we may be able to do a deal.

Phil

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #4502 on: November 08, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »
I originally bought the H7 trying to do DSP on it, but I decided not to reinvest my R&D time on it and stick with BF706.

If you ever did DSP on a real DSP (like the ADSP21xx, DSP56k, TMS32), wrote your own FIR / IIR / FFT implementations in their special assembly language, Cortex M7 DSP is not the real thing.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4503 on: November 08, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »
This endoscope: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYNHJQO/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item  which was on offer for just £5.09 on Amazon's 'Today's Deals'. Can't quite think what I'll do with it but at for a fiver I thought why not? Now you can all tell me where I can stick it :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4504 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:37 pm »
This endoscope: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYNHJQO/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item  which was on offer for just £5.09 on Amazon's 'Today's Deals'. Can't quite think what I'll do with it but at for a fiver I thought why not? Now you can all tell me where I can stick it :)
Better yet, now you can post videos when someone tells you where to stick it. That should deter them next time!

Offline BNElecEng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4505 on: November 08, 2017, 08:13:54 pm »
Today I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Got my ucurrent, a solartron 7150 plus and a Time Electronics 5075 DMM.
All I need is a decent GPIB adapter and my volt-nut journey shall begin!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4506 on: November 08, 2017, 08:14:16 pm »
I originally bought the H7 trying to do DSP on it, but I decided not to reinvest my R&D time on it and stick with BF706.

If you ever did DSP on a real DSP (like the ADSP21xx, DSP56k, TMS32), wrote your own FIR / IIR / FFT implementations in their special assembly language, Cortex M7 DSP is not the real thing.
Precisely; ARM "DSP" extensions are really a toy. Actually, you don't even need to use assembly in certain architectures (I am familiar with TI's C6000 DSPs), although actual microprocessor-based DSP applications are a dying breed... 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:17:04 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4507 on: November 08, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »
Today I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Got my ucurrent, a solartron 7150 plus and a Time Electronics 5075 DMM.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Time Electronics 5075?

They look like a decent meter and seem to fly under the radar of people because they're not a "big brand" I've used one of their resistor decade boxes and process calibrators (well volts / mA source) before. The process calibrator was simple but worked and seemed to work quite well.

Offline BNElecEng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4508 on: November 08, 2017, 09:40:59 pm »
Mine was £350 all together. I've only used it for a few hours so far and have no idea how it compares to other meters on the market. I mainly bought it because I wanted something better than 6.5 digits and I trust the Time Electronics brand. I have a bunch of their stuff and each one is absolutely bomb proof.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Time Electronics 5075?

They look like a decent meter and seem to fly under the radar of people because they're not a "big brand" I've used one of their resistor decade boxes and process calibrators (well volts / mA source) before. The process calibrator was simple but worked and seemed to work quite well.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #4509 on: November 08, 2017, 09:58:48 pm »

I bought something similar a few years ago, and they are very useful for 'non-bore' things too. Like PCB examination.
Tip: dissect a few old CDROM drives. A small lens from those can be stuck on the end of the borescope camera with blutak or sticky tape, for extra magnification. It's really quite impressive, for the price.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4510 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:00 pm »
Few days ago  8)
Fluke 289 finally

upgrade from 287 :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:09:45 pm by BFX »

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4511 on: November 09, 2017, 01:42:29 am »
I was browsing the wares at my favourite local surplus/recycled electronics shop when I spotted a familiar shape. Checked it out. Tag said "USB Speaker $10". I knew better. Offered $5 and walked out of there with a Spyder 3 Elite colorimeter. Sadly the OEM software is licenseware and the original CD with key is long gone. Fortunately there are some decent free alternatives (HCFR Colormeter, DisplayCAL). I'm calibrating my main monitor with DisplayCAL as I write this.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4512 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:08 am »
I was browsing the wares at my favourite local surplus/recycled electronics shop when I spotted a familiar shape. Checked it out. Tag said "USB Speaker $10". I knew better. Offered $5 and walked out of there with a Spyder 3 Elite colorimeter. Sadly the OEM software is licenseware and the original CD with key is long gone. Fortunately there are some decent free alternatives (HCFR Colormeter, DisplayCAL). I'm calibrating my main monitor with DisplayCAL as I write this.
Nice catch! It would have been somewhat hilarious if someone did happen to buy it as a USB speaker, only to return it because it doesn't work.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4513 on: November 10, 2017, 06:35:41 am »
In my message from october 30th I covered the need for reworking my bench console using acrylic glass:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg1336492/#msg1336492

I took all your comments to heart and recently received my order of 4,4m heavy, item-compatible aluminium system profile 40mmx80mm cut into several pieces for building my new bench console support.

"Heavy system profile" means that there's (necessarily) only the slots not being filled with aluminium:

That results in a weight of 4,5kg per meter. The package containing the profiles was 20kg and the postman had to carry it upstairs to the first floor..   >:D

I also ordered some mounting materials and did a partial test mount in the corridor:

The dirt on the carpet is due to cleaning up..  :)  -cutting and flattening cardbox packages of items received in the last 4 weeks. I already have put them in the paper bin outside so it looks clean and civilised again.  :)

I have to wait some more weeks to rebuild my bench console because of my arm (broken 6 weeks ago) isn't capable of being used for heavy loads already. But I'm working on it.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:04:53 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4514 on: November 10, 2017, 07:55:04 am »
A display for an Agilent 34401A. Now working up the nerve to open the DMM and install it.  ;)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4515 on: November 10, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
Never been in one, but for some reason I can't imagine it'll be that easy a job.  :(

Best of luck.  :-+

Offline mjwallin47

« Reply #4516 on: November 10, 2017, 08:35:22 pm »
I bought an Aneng AN8002 from eBay a few days ago as a result of an EEVBlog video.  My initial reaction was it a very nice multimeter for the money.  However, mine arrived defective, not too surprising given the low price and origin.  The defect was that mV range failed to zero.  Instead, it continually increments with no probes attached.  The other ranges and functions seem OK but I did not do much additional checking as I immediately requested a return for exchange from the vendor.  The vendor insisted that I send pictures or a video so they could evaluate the problem!  All that for a $17.00 meter!  I did take a video of me turning on the meter and switching thru V, mV, Ohms and Hz.  I am waiting to hear their response. 

I am awaiting delivery of a Bryman TM235.   Other equipment includes an isolation transformer, an old Staco Variac (about .7kVA), a Tek TDS 210 digital scope, another old analog Tek scope (4Ch, 150MHz), an HP 5316A counter, a couple of power supplies (Universal model 6050A, a GW Instek GPC-3020), an LCR meter (M4070), an Agilent U1731B LCR Meter, ($40 at a hamfest), a Blue ESR Meter (kit), and a bunch of dud Ham radios to be repaired (oldies but goodies) and miscellaneous dud scopes the I'd like to get running after I finish my lab and restock my brain.  I also have a few old multimeters that Dave would have no respect for and I am glad I watched his reviews.  Otherwise, I am sure I would have blown myself up at some point.

I am an (semi) retired old timer on a limited budget trying to assemble a usable test equipment lab on a shoestring budget.

My intention is to be able to do repairs on old equipment that I can resell.  I am pretty well versed on old technology but am interested in getting up to speed on SMD and other new technology as far as I can wrap my old brain around.  I recently obtained an Amateur Extra ticket (after a 40 year lapse).  My background was in engineering (mostly mechanical) and for the last 25 years, a PC computer programmer/developer, mostly self-taught (BS - Physics).  I did quite a bit of homebrewing analog ham radio equipment prior to going off to college, which few current hams are interested in.  I should have gone into EE or computers but that wasn't where my ambitions lay (unfortunately).

'An old dog learning a few new tricks'

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:37:53 pm by mjwallin47 »

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4517 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:16 pm »
Three small enclosures, bought from China https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100x100x50mm-Aluminum-PCB-Instrument-Box-Enclosure-Case-Electronic-Project-DIY/263189846364?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Cheap at only £5.75 each, and surprisingly well made. I needed just one for the DC Power unit (shown) but I bought two extra. It was a tight fit but I wanted the smallest possible enclosure, and the aluminium case acts as a heatsink. Tested it for 2 hours @ 35w and it didn't even get warm. I made a thicker (1/4") endplate because I needed to cut a very large aperture for the power unit and the thicker plate offered better support.

Only issue was that the seller seemed to think a plastic bag was the only protection necessary when posting, as a result the corner of one got slightly bent.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:55:11 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4518 on: November 10, 2017, 11:07:02 pm »
That's really compact — makes those binding posts look huge!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4519 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:03 pm »
Yes, I thought I'd made a mistake and the enclosure was too small at first, a couple of mm less in width and it would not have fit!

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4520 on: November 11, 2017, 12:24:51 am »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4521 on: November 11, 2017, 07:16:59 am »

Cheap at only £5.75 each, and surprisingly well made. I needed just one for the DC Power unit (shown) but I bought two extra. It was a tight fit but I wanted the smallest possible enclosure, and the aluminium case acts as a heatsink. Tested it for 2 hours @ 35w and it didn't even get warm. I made a thicker (1/4") endplate because I needed to cut a very large aperture for the power unit and the thicker plate offered better support.

Only issue was that the seller seemed to think a plastic bag was the only protection necessary when posting, as a result the corner of one got slightly bent.
Nice!

Where did you buy those binding posts?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4522 on: November 11, 2017, 07:34:50 am »
"Heavy system profile" means that there's (necessarily) only the slots not being filled with aluminium:

Is it bad that the first thing that came to mind was "that is a nice open eye"? The other day I ordered a pizza and thought to myself when I was taking a slice that they didn't V-score it right.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:37:36 am by trophosphere »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #4523 on: November 11, 2017, 09:28:15 am »
Got a Racal Dana/Thurlby Thandar supply to burn in voltage references, because the DP832 is wy to loud to let it run over night and I needed a second supply anyway.
And I also bought a bunch of parts and I got wood screws instead of 47uF 16V :D I immidiately wrote them and got as a response that they will send me the caps free of charge.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4524 on: November 11, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
Quote from: HighVoltage on Today at 06:16:59 PM

Nice!

Where did you buy those binding posts?

Ordered from Amazon.uk :- 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074J1R7Z5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Obviously not gold plated, but then genuine nickel is probably better than fake gold :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf