Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2796685 times)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5725 on: March 02, 2018, 06:19:16 pm »
Got my Andostar M201 today.

Awesome bit of kit.  Looks amazing on a 21:9 34" monitor.  It's so good I can see the edge on my xacto knife is dull!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5726 on: March 02, 2018, 06:58:00 pm »
Bought two HP 8640 signal generators. Don't really need them but they are boatanchors, they have a cavity resonator not a rubbis digital PLL, and I've read good things about them (good sine purity and level goes down to -145dbm)

Stock photo
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:38:13 pm by MasterTech »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5727 on: March 02, 2018, 07:06:44 pm »

Awesome bit of kit.  Looks amazing on a 21:9 34" monitor.  It's so good I can see the edge on my xacto knife is dull!
You were lucky, my goodies are held up with this snow, haven't seen a postman or a delivery van all week yet  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5728 on: March 03, 2018, 04:33:14 am »
Fuse was blown. Now gets power bit no display. Should be a fun project. Typo in the photos, its the 8500A, not the 8005A....haha
I just finished doing a hardware cal on my Fluke 8505.  Lots of interactive pots to adjust.  Particularly in the A/D linearity adjustment.  Final result was pretty good however.   Just takes time, patience and adjusting the procedures to fit the cal equipment you have on hand.
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
PCN Corp. RH250ML 0.01 Ohm 0.02% Precision Shunt Resistor
« Reply #5729 on: March 03, 2018, 02:37:02 pm »
Pile of these PCN Corp. precision shunt resistors that I gathered thru 3 separate purchases recently -> (1st) (2nd).
Definitely can't afford these if they are new, as this pile alone (7 resistors) may cost > US$ 1000. (List Price:o

(Click to enlarge)

The latest 3rd batch purchase of this used PCN resistor, hopefully this is the last, as I kept telling my self to restraint, yet, I failed caused by a damn single "Q" character suffix printed at the resistor.  :palm:

- Resistance : 0.01 Ohm
- Accuracy : 0.02% ("Q" Grade) -> (Datasheet)
- Tempco : 50 ppm/K (at 0 up to 100 C)
- Rating : 50 Watt with heat sink / 20 Watt on free air
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:42:05 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5730 on: March 04, 2018, 05:02:37 am »
I bought a 2nd hand IR thermometer today on Ebay. Looks decent enough condition and spec etc but i'll have to wait a few days till it gets delivered before I can be sure. I've been looking to get 1 for a while now but just never got round to it.

I was leaning towards 1 of the Fluke 62 MAX ones that get a good write up but I saw this 1 and liked the look of it so took a punt on it. We'll see soon enough if I was right to take the chance or if I should have stuck with a good old Fluke branded 1.  :)

The one I ordered is Model No--EBRO TFI 550.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5731 on: March 04, 2018, 09:04:33 am »
I bought a 2nd hand IR thermometer today on Ebay. Looks decent enough condition and spec etc but i'll have to wait a few days till it gets delivered before I can be sure. I've been looking to get 1 for a while now but just never got round to it.

I was leaning towards 1 of the Fluke 62 MAX ones that get a good write up but I saw this 1 and liked the look of it so took a punt on it. We'll see soon enough if I was right to take the chance or if I should have stuck with a good old Fluke branded 1.  :)

I brought mine from Lidls for around £9 I think and although I don't use it much, it has been very good at locating overheating components due to short circuits etc. Well worth getting and unlike a thermal camera, the laser dot pinpoints the problem item visually for you.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #5732 on: March 04, 2018, 10:27:03 am »
Received the first one of 4£ DPS5015 modules. Two more are on the way. There was a hint about these on an other thread. It was a sale at amazon.co.uk. I got the last 3 units.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5733 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »

I brought mine from Lidls for around £9 I think and although I don't use it much, it has been very good at locating overheating components due to short circuits etc. Well worth getting and unlike a thermal camera, the laser dot pinpoints the problem item visually for you.

Cool!  8)

I think it is one of those things that won't get used every day but when it does you see how handy they are. I agree that the laser will be very helpful too. I'm looking forward to trying it out.  :)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #5734 on: March 04, 2018, 03:00:20 pm »
BravoV,

I am currently using a TO-220 style 35W, 0.1 ohm shunt resistor in my electronic DC load. Would you be willing to sell me a couple of the 0.01 aluminum shunts for testing in the project?

Thanks mate,

IDG

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5735 on: March 04, 2018, 05:26:09 pm »

Nice looking bit of kit buddy! Enjoy!!  :)

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5736 on: March 04, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »
I just made another impulse purchase of my first P11 phosphor scope...     
... yesterday I bought a 465B.   :-DD

Now I should probably sell my two 468's and the 465 that I'm almost done restoring (pending a few out of tolerance resistors in the vert amp circuit that I missed on my first parts order..). 

I think I have an addiction... and lack restraint.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5737 on: March 05, 2018, 01:52:24 am »
A 1Kg spool of PET-G filament for my 3D printer. Not tried this stuff before but I'm getting fed up with warping on larger prints when using ABS so worth a shot.

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5738 on: March 05, 2018, 07:06:00 am »
30m PTFE insulated  silver-coated hook up wire (Alpha Wire). ebay, much cheapness.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5739 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:50 am »
All the stuff I ordered last month for my new CNC machine are starting to arrive from all over the world.
The cables are special series from Lapp and Igus, designed for use in energy chains, able to survive over 5 million bends.
In the end all components will have been sent from 10 different countries from three continents, quite a change from how we did things 15 years ago  8)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:53:32 am by Kjelt »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5740 on: March 05, 2018, 09:34:21 am »
All the stuff I ordered last month for my new CNC machine are starting to arrive from all over the world.
The cables are special series from Lapp and Igus, designed for use in energy chains, able to survive over 5 million bends.
In the end all components will have been sent from 10 different countries from three continents, quite a change from how we did things 15 years ago  8)
What kind of CNC machine are you going to build exactly? As soon as I have more room, that's one of the things on the list.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5741 on: March 05, 2018, 10:49:11 am »
My " Duble USB Output Power Adapter 12V To 5V 3A 15W DC DC Converter Module Connector " arrived today to give me a permanent USB feed from my power chair. It really was spelt "Duble" in the advert  :-DD
I use a XLR plug into a car fag lighter USB port just now which works fine. It's a "Dubel" too! :) Powers my laptop or puffer or extra lights if I need them. Handy as hell!
I want a more permanent fitting though so this should do the job...."should"!  8)

My " Fluke 80BK-A Type-K thermocouple " also arrived this morning. I thought it would be a real crap cheapy job as it only cost 8 quid! It matches my EX505 to the exact number. The temperature is the only reading that is accurate on my EX505! I won't need it for anything scientific so as long as it's near enough it'll do me  :)

Happy days!  :D

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5742 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:01 am »
What kind of CNC machine are you going to build exactly? As soon as I have more room, that's one of the things on the list.
It is going to be a portal mill with 0.95 meters by 0.6 meters workspace (total framesize 1.2 x 0.95 meters).
The design has been made as opensource design by cnczone.nl and it uses quality parts like Hiwin guided rails and carriages, Isel spindles etc. Total cost of all the parts is around 6500 euros  :o
It is designed for woodmilling but this design is sturdy enough to mill aluminium , iron can be done also but then care has to be taken about speed and feed, it is not actually designed for steel.
I have a cheap german made cnc mill but it is just toy compared to this thing although it also costs 3500 but that is incl labor, profit etc.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #5743 on: March 05, 2018, 01:32:13 pm »
Why oh why do people tend to not have basic knowledge on how to properly pack stuff?
This is seriously making me sad and angry at the same time.

What you witness here is the cluster f*ck of three EMG TR-0463 function generators that I bought from the small ads a couple of days ago. That is exactly how they were packaged and delivered to me - I just cut open the box.

WTF? How? Why?

Need to do some proper inspection, but already found some smashed knobs and stuff.

|O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5744 on: March 05, 2018, 01:52:09 pm »
I can sympathise with your suffering, I bought a bench meter from an interstate Ebay seller last year and specifically asked during our correspondence if he could pack the meter properly, the moron went mad with the bubble wrap but then went completely nuts with tightly wrapped packing tape thus defeating the cushioning effect of the bubble wrap. It was then placed in a post pack which is just a plastic bag with an address label and the thing arrived all smashed up on the corners, some people really are dick heads.   

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5745 on: March 05, 2018, 02:57:46 pm »
Why oh why do people tend to not have basic knowledge on how to properly pack stuff?

What you witness here is the cluster f*ck of three EMG TR-0463 function generators that I bought from the small ads a couple of days ago. That is exactly how they were packaged and delivered to me - I just cut open the box.

WTF? How? Why?

Need to do some proper inspection, but already found some smashed knobs and stuff.

That sucks buddy!  :'(

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5746 on: March 05, 2018, 03:18:22 pm »
It is going to be a portal mill with 0.95 meters by 0.6 meters workspace (total framesize 1.2 x 0.95 meters).
The design has been made as opensource design by cnczone.nl and it uses quality parts like Hiwin guided rails and carriages, Isel spindles etc. Total cost of all the parts is around 6500 euros  :o
It is designed for woodmilling but this design is sturdy enough to mill aluminium , iron can be done also but then care has to be taken about speed and feed, it is not actually designed for steel.
I have a cheap german made cnc mill but it is just toy compared to this thing although it also costs 3500 but that is incl labor, profit etc.
That's getting close to what ready made or built solutions would cost. Is there any particular reason to go for this option?

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5747 on: March 05, 2018, 04:13:41 pm »
Hi,

I think I got a 'shockingly' good deal at a local antique market:

I estimate that the machine was made between 1854 and 1864.
Not bad since Faraday discovered induction in 1831.

The instruction read:

"Connect two metallic cords or wires with the sockets in the ends of the Box, and apply handles connected with the other ends of the metallic cords or wires to any part of the person through which is desirable to pass the current of Electricity. Then turn the crank, regulating the strength of the current by the speed, and by the knob at the end of the box : it being desirable to increase the strength to that degree most agreeable to the patient. It is less unpleasant to the patient if wet sponges are placed in the ends of the handles and these applied to the skin, as they prevent the prickling sensation. The sponges should never be put inside the Box while wet as they rust the machinery. In applying it for the Toothache, Tic-Doloreaux or Neuralgia, the operator takes one Handle and places fingers or sponge over the part affected, while the patient hold the other Handle. In applying it to the foot place one of the Handles in the Water with the foot, and hold the other in the hand, or apply it to any other part of the person. The Bearings and Spring must be oiled occasionally".

I have been unable test it because the drive belt needs to be replaced.
The labels indicates that it was distributed by Harvey, Reynolds and Co. 10 Briggate, Leeds.
Harvey, Reynolds and Co. became Reynolds an Branson, a supplier to many school science laboratories until they closed in 1972. Probably familiar to some UK members.

From the company history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_and_Branson

I visited Reynolds & Branson when I was about 10 or 11 years old.

Here is a link to one on YouTube (not mine):

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:20:07 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5748 on: March 05, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
That's getting close to what ready made or built solutions would cost. Is there any particular reason to go for this option?
A machine with these exact parts and specifications complete ready built by a commercial company would sell probably for around 12k€ easy (cheap labour).
The assembly work alone including the electronics cabinet is two manweeks, the parts are also 6,5k€ include profit and shipping and you are probably close to the 15k€.

Yes there are ready build machines costing 6k€ , I myself purchased a 4k€ machine ten years ago but those are in comparison a totally different category.
They are not as rigid, they don't have closed loop steppers, no vfd spindle, no professional controls, no hardend german quality iron spindles/ballbearings with precision machining and no high quality linear guides. If you test them on accuracy and repeatability you are in a different league.
In short they are skimping on every part. It might look the same for a layman but it sure is not the same  ;)

So if you want a short overview of where the costs are coming from:

Aluminium profiles:                                           €700
Machined and anodised aluminium parts:          €1000
Hiwin guiderails and blocks for X,Y,Z axis:          €800
Isel axis 2x X ,Y,Z  + ballscrew mounts            €1000
Small mechanical parts t-nuts, bolts                  €100
Closed loop steppers and drivers 4 sets             €750
Motor couplings holders                                     €50
Bearings for the axis                                        €150
Electronic parts, powersupplies etc                    €400
Motor cables energy chains                               €250
Rittal metal enclosure 60x40cm                         €100
CNC software and IP controller board EdingCNC  €400
Iron table stand custom welded                        €250
T bar aluminium plate 800x600mm                   €420
1,5kW Spindle + VFD                                       €300   +
                                                              ----------------
                                                                      6600.-

Now I could have saved €500 by machining the aluminium parts my self, but for the rest I would not know where to get lower prices for the same quality.
Some non critical parts like the stepper motors are already low cost Leadshine drivers. The 1,5kW spindle is also Chinese since a German quality one costs over €2000.- upto €4500.-
So it is actually also for some parts cheap, I will upgrade later on, for the mechanical part that has to be 100% from the start, but for instance the spindle can be upgraded later on.

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5749 on: March 05, 2018, 04:52:13 pm »

WTF? How? Why?

That really sucks!! Someone recently did the same to me with a Tek 475A...  I should have known better than to buy from a pawn shop xBay seller... I specifically asked for extra packing foam in the front and rear of the scope, so what does he do???  He folds down the handle and STUFFS a bunch of packing PAPER between the instrument controls and the handle, drops it in a box, and loosely fills it with packing peanuts.... that's definitely not the first and wont be the last time I see a horrid packing job.

I've often wondered how many head-scratchers we would see if a thread along the lines of "Horrid packaging jobs - let's see 'em!" were to be started..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf