Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2796042 times)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6525 on: June 09, 2018, 07:20:35 pm »
Strictly it was brought yesterday in an on-line auction from what was, prior to Philips pulling out of the UK, a fully functioning research lab so it should be ok and calibrated but time will tell on that one when I get the OK to drive to Cambridge and pick it from the lab. Chomping at the bit to go and collect it now and find out all about it  :-+

Nice!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6526 on: June 09, 2018, 07:25:24 pm »
Looks to be in great condition, Spec. I look forward to hearing all about what you find out about it.
Found one thing already by researching on the web, it is lightweight because the case is all plastic, just hope that the rest of the case is in as good a shape as the front panel seems to be  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6527 on: June 09, 2018, 07:43:41 pm »
I'm sure any case-related defects can be easily masked by placement of other test equipment. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6528 on: June 09, 2018, 08:15:29 pm »
I'm sure any case-related defects can be easily masked by placement of other test equipment. ;D

Just not on top of it  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6529 on: June 09, 2018, 08:20:33 pm »

Just not on top of it  :-DD
Certainly not any of thes boat anchors, Advance SG63, HP1740A, Iwtsu SS570 or Hitachi V525 because Philips plastics are known to be prone to cracking etc thats for sure  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6530 on: June 09, 2018, 08:47:41 pm »
Nothing a sturdy shelf can't take care of. ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6531 on: June 09, 2018, 08:50:23 pm »
Nothing a sturdy shelf can't take care of. ;)
What are saying, plonk the 3390B on a sturdy shelf and then stack one or more of the boat anchors on top of it  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6532 on: June 09, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »
Not quite. Put a shelf above the 3390B to take the load. If its case can't sustain the load, you have to use a substitute.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6533 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:00 pm »
Not quite. Put a shelf above the 3390B to take the load. If its case can't sustain the load, you have to use a substitute.
Simples put the 3390B on top, job done [emoji16]

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6534 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:19 am »

But then the plastic case issues will show up even more. Best is to put two higher boat anchors left and right, place 3390B in between them, put a plank on top of the boat anchors and more anchors ver it and then just the front panel will be visible  :-DD.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6535 on: June 10, 2018, 07:39:44 am »

But then the plastic case issues will show up even more. Best is to put two higher boat anchors left and right, place 3390B in between them, put a plank on top of the boat anchors and more anchors ver it and then just the front panel will be visible  :-DD.

Cheers,
 DC1MC
Oh, am I dumb ie what [emoji848] I see what you lot have been getting at, hiding the damage if it is damaged. I was thinking about breaking the case by stacking the boat anchors on top of it [emoji3].

Have to wait for the OK to collect it and see what I'm dealing with, it'll need the rifa filters replacing at the very least and possibly a full recap as well.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6536 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:29 am »

Cheers,
 DC1MC
Oh, am I dumb ie what [emoji848] I see what you lot have been getting at, hiding the damage if it is damaged. I was thinking about breaking the case by stacking the boat anchors on top of it [emoji3].

Have to wait for the OK to collect it and see what I'm dealing with, it'll need the rifa filters replacing at the very least and possibly a full recap as well.

If your tight for room even make a Perspex jacket to go over the unit with the soft plastic case. You can either glue or screw the edges together. Either way it really doesn't cost much ££'s and is VERY strong! Also if your neat with your cuts etc you can make a clear see through jacket for it so you can see the internals or a colour to suit the rest of the unit. You'll get the Perspex from any craft shop or places like that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6537 on: June 10, 2018, 11:09:36 am »

Cheers,
 DC1MC

If your tight for room even make a Perspex jacket to go over the unit with the soft plastic case. You can either glue or screw the edges together. Either way it really doesn't cost much ££'s and is VERY strong! Also if your neat with your cuts etc you can make a clear see through jacket for it so you can see the internals or a colour to suit the rest of the unit. You'll get the Perspex from any craft shop or places like that.
Chances are that it will perfect when I go and collect it, it was after all in a working high class lab, its just me possibly over reacting after discovering to my shock that such big piece of equipment in a plastic shell unlike all of my other CRO's which are in nice metal cases and strong as fuck. I just never expected that something as big and old as that would be in plastic enclosure whereas all the more modern scopes are similar on size to a ghetto blaster and plastic is perfectly suited to that size, but the 3390B is 391 x 147 x 551mm, its even bigger than my HP1740A and that weighs a bloody ton. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6538 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:06 am »
It's a nice unit for sure! I hope it is in great nic when you get it. Awesome find!  :)

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #6539 on: June 10, 2018, 12:40:23 pm »
This 'Topic' is approaching nearly 1 million views !  since  2015.
It is the most 'Off-Topic' topic imaginable, but so many people like it !!
This 'monster' can't/shouldn't be stopped...  :) :)

Well, if I stay on topic with this megalith...........
My 'Missus' holds my Cards & does the 'buying'  ;D
I just tell her what I want !!!!!!
She brought home 'coffee' IceCreams, and some bottles of 'Bubbly' !!!  (Good girl!!!)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6540 on: June 10, 2018, 05:16:15 pm »
The oldest source I could find on short notice tells me that "sleppa" is an old Norse word for honing / sanding. In the 12th/13th century (maybe earlier) «schleppen» carried over to the German linguistic usage for the act of sanding sth. (what later evolved into «schleifen») and the act of towing something heavy, thus "sanding the floor".

Interesting how the word attached to a sanding method that fell out of use while the word didn't.
Well, Danish has "slibe" and "slæbe"...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6541 on: June 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am »

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Phew! I was beginning to worry one of us was losing it. Glad we're back on the same page.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6542 on: June 11, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
I secured this lovely meter today for a real good price, listed at £150 and I got it just over 20% of that price  :-+

Surprisingly, despite what the display sticker say's, it was actually still calibrated, deal of the century that was although the display on its way out and needs replacing.:-DMM 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6543 on: June 11, 2018, 12:55:00 am »
I secured this lovely meter today for a real good price, listed at £150 and I got it just over 20% of that price  :-+

Surprisingly, despite what the display sticker say's, it was actually still calibrated, deal of the century that was although the display on its way out and needs replacing.:-DMM

Excuse the French but.....HOLY SHIT!!!

Awesome deal! How did you manage that? That's a real nice meter for that price!  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6544 on: June 11, 2018, 01:01:08 am »
I know but does have display issues as you can see and it is missing the AC module as it was never ordered as thats an option with these meters  :wtf:. These days its all chucked in but back in the day, they were chargeable extras, it had the GPIB option fitted though.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6545 on: June 11, 2018, 01:20:29 am »
I know but does have display issues as you can see and it is missing the AC module as it was never ordered as thats an option with these meters  :wtf:. These days its all chucked in but back in the day, they were chargeable extras, it had the GPIB option fitted though.

Even with those it's still an awesome deal right? I'm still learning about these things but even I know to rip someone's arm off if offered that kind of deal for that price!
If you get those things fixed and added on at a decent price.....as you seem to have a knack for doing!  ;D  You'll have a real nice unit for not a lot of ££'s. Even if you only just get the screen sorted that's still a good instrument as it stands now.

Nice find!  :)

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6546 on: June 11, 2018, 02:17:29 am »
Great deal! UKP150 would be a bit of a rip-off for that without the AC option, but for 30 you did amazingly well..

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #6547 on: June 11, 2018, 03:27:05 am »
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the 'not calibrated - display only' sticker isn't meant to indicate that the meter is out of calibration, but rather is there in place of a normal 'calibrated on/calibration required on XX date' label normally used to track cal history to note that it's being used in a non critical application and that periodic calibration is not needed.  That lets the folks who go around a facility rounding up instruments when the calibration company makes its visits know that instruments so marked don't need to be looked at and can stay where they are.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6548 on: June 11, 2018, 04:24:36 am »
That is correct. It's a "hands off, save your buckazoids, doesn't need to be checked" meter.

Good shopping, Spec.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6549 on: June 11, 2018, 04:50:46 am »
That is correct. It's a "hands off, save your buckazoids, doesn't need to be checked" meter.

Yep. I've got a Fluke meter of the same line, an 8842A - who knows when it was last officially calibrated and who cares.  It's fast, stable  and dead on accurate based on comparison to my DMM check and semi recently calibrated HP 3478A.

Good shopping, Spec.

Right!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf