Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2797262 times)

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9125 on: December 16, 2019, 05:42:40 pm »
I got this HP 8664 off Ebay for $400.  Seems to work perfectly.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:35:22 pm by Ground_Loop »
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9126 on: December 16, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »
I got this off Ebay for $400.  Seems to work perfectly.

Nice score!  Mine needed a tantalum cap in one of the modules.  That thing's a backbreaker, huh?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9127 on: December 16, 2019, 08:32:17 pm »
Crazy heavy. I thought it was going to collapse my bench.  It doesn't help that it is sitting under my HP 8567 Spectrum Analyzer which I had to lift up first.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:43:40 pm by Ground_Loop »
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9128 on: December 17, 2019, 01:09:46 pm »
Enertec / Solartron 7050, seems to work, need to check calibration.
Keithley 174 with battery option that hasn't been removed since 1978-ish (Ouch!) needs repair...

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #9129 on: December 17, 2019, 09:58:23 pm »
A Micsig DP10013 Differential probe.

Was about € 120 shipped.

891448-0

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9130 on: December 19, 2019, 12:54:49 am »
$20 worth of assorted 3-12mm Springs as my saved and accumulated ones over time was depleted to being useless. Only needed the 3mm ones but the rest just because eBay auction: #132915825317
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9131 on: December 19, 2019, 02:01:41 am »

Cool!  Is yours an HP 8664A or B?

Nice score!  Mine needed a tantalum cap in one of the modules.  That thing's a backbreaker, huh?

-Pat

Good grief yes.  I think the two person lift sticker may have actually been factory applied.  When I built my present work area, I put some gouges into one of the work surfaces wrestling it into place by myself because I nobody was available to help me with it and I pulled some muscles pretty badly doing it to the point I was beginning to worry if I'd given myself a hernia but thankfully not.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9132 on: December 19, 2019, 02:12:59 am »
But now you are set " 'till the day comes along when you catch the Sun"   ;D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9133 on: December 19, 2019, 03:47:19 am »

-Pat

Good grief yes.  I think the two person lift sticker may have actually been factory applied. When I built my present work area, I put some gouges into one of the work surfaces wrestling it into place by myself because I nobody was available to help me with it and I pulled some muscles pretty badly doing it to the point I was beginning to worry if I'd given myself a hernia but thankfully not.

That may well be - I just looked and mine has one too.  It was great fun wrestling with it to get the sleeve cabinet off of it.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #9134 on: December 20, 2019, 07:11:57 pm »
I've bought a DER EE DE-5000 handheld LCR meter for U$122 + 14U$ shipping:

Some  AD587KN + AD7535JN + 5x OP07CJ

Some USB type A to USB micro type B adapter cable:

Some SMA PCB connectors:

And a RF Demo Kit for the NanoVNA:

I think, most of them will arrive after XMAS. But that's how it is.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9135 on: December 20, 2019, 07:26:10 pm »
I've bought a DER EE DE-5000 handheld LCR meter for U$122 + 14U$ shipping:

Some  AD587KN + AD7535JN + 5x OP07CJ

Some USB type A to USB micro type B adapter cable:

Some SMA PCB connectors:

And a RF Demo Kit for the NanoVNA:

I think, most of them will arrive after XMAS. But that's how it is.  :)

Nice haul!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9136 on: December 21, 2019, 12:01:22 pm »

-Pat

Good grief yes.  I think the two person lift sticker may have actually been factory applied.  When I built my present work area, I put some gouges into one of the work surfaces wrestling it into place by myself because I nobody was available to help me with it and I pulled some muscles pretty badly doing it to the point I was beginning to worry if I'd given myself a hernia but thankfully not.

Back in the day, where I worked, we travelled all over the State doing routine testing on TV sites.
Amongst the pile of equipment we took with us was a R&S "Polyskop SWOB" (one of several at the Depot), which was seriously heavy & had a similar sticker.

We would get a courier service to take things to airfreight & would travel on the  same plane.
On several occasions,the Polyskop would arrive at the other end inoperative & making ominous rattling noises.

It turned out someone, either in the airline ground crew, or the couriers would read the sticker, grunt "bloody wimps" & pick it up by themselves.
You could do so, but putting it down, they would invariably, drop it the last 150mm (6"), causing the heavy bits inside to break loose from their mountings & fall through the fragile bits!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9137 on: December 21, 2019, 03:23:49 pm »

-Pat

Back in the day, where I worked, we travelled all over the State doing routine testing on TV sites.
Amongst the pile of equipment we took with us was a R&S "Polyskop SWOB" (one of several at the Depot), which was seriously heavy & had a similar sticker.

We would get a courier service to take things to airfreight & would travel on the  same plane.
On several occasions,the Polyskop would arrive at the other end inoperative & making ominous rattling noises.

It turned out someone, either in the airline ground crew, or the couriers would read the sticker, grunt "bloody wimps" & pick it up by themselves.
You could do so, but putting it down, they would invariably, drop it the last 150mm (6"), causing the heavy bits inside to break loose from their mountings & fall through the fragile bits!
So the lesson for equipment manufacturers, then, would be to keep delicate products out of the “danger zone” of weight that is too heavy to be carefully lifted by hand, but too light to unambiguously require assistance from another person or equipment. Perhaps load it down with another 10-15kg of steel plates, or make the housing more robust by that amount! :p

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9138 on: December 22, 2019, 12:08:59 am »

-Pat

So the lesson for equipment manufacturers, then, would be to keep delicate products out of the “danger zone” of weight that is too heavy to be carefully lifted by hand, but too light to unambiguously require assistance from another person or equipment. Perhaps load it down with another 10-15kg of steel plates, or make the housing more robust by that amount! :p

The housing of the Polyskop was very robust.
Perhaps the mounting of the big bits should have been better .
Or maybe morons shouldn't ignore warning stickers! ;D

It happens in the best of families, though.
We received two 5kW Broadcast transmitters from Harris, where  one was, luckily, OK, but in the other one, a large power transformer had broken loose & rampaged through the thing smashing the more fragile parts.

Such things are normally sent with the heavy bits separately packaged, but for some reason, Harris decided to diverge from their usual practice, & sent the complete made up units. :palm:

It was a good thing only one unit was damaged, as we had one good one to compare with as we painstakingly rebuilt the bad one. |O

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9139 on: December 22, 2019, 08:33:51 am »
as we painstakingly rebuilt the bad one. |O
Really? Should have been "fix your shit and send us a new one stat"

Offline SmokeyTheElectrician

• Contributor
« Reply #9140 on: December 22, 2019, 09:02:17 am »
a Rigol 1054z

$230.39 in the store at my local uCenter
"We must stick them with quills! It's the only way!"
-- Scott Adams

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9141 on: December 22, 2019, 05:39:53 pm »
Good price.  :-+

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9142 on: December 22, 2019, 09:13:45 pm »
I agree! You got a decent deal there my friend  :-+

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9143 on: December 23, 2019, 12:06:27 am »
as we painstakingly rebuilt the bad one. |O
Really? Should have been "fix your shit and send us a new one stat"

Had it been NEC, they would have sent one immediately, but Harris would have spent the next six months bitching & scratching their bums!

The best service we ever had like that, was back in 1968, when we had a transmitter fire at a remote Northwest town, which killed both transmitters.
AWA put a new transmitter on a chartered plane & flew it straight there.
(It turned out the fire wasn't the fault of their Tx, but it was a good example of customer service)

One original Tx looked like a huge version of a burnt tin can from a campfire, but we rewired the other, & it was still in service 20 years later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9144 on: December 23, 2019, 08:48:58 am »
As the Idiot box viewing really goes to poo and the level of family 'discussions' rises to   :palm: :rant: :wtf: :horse:

I have preemptively prepared thanks to Steam and brought Doom and Wolfenstein The New Colossus for $20 AU pesos in a two pack deal. 60GB for Doom would want to be a touch better than the original I played way back when.... Might reinforce and put a lock on the inside of my shack door to keep the family out too.

Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug to all.  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9145 on: December 23, 2019, 09:16:05 am »
As the Idiot box viewing really goes to poo and the level of family 'discussions' rises to   :palm: :rant: :wtf: :horse:

I have preemptively prepared thanks to Steam and brought Doom and Wolfenstein The New Colossus for $20 AU pesos in a two pack deal. 60GB for Doom would want to be a touch better than the original I played way back when.... Might reinforce and put a lock on the inside of my shack door to keep the family out too.

Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug to all.  >:D
Back at ya !  :P
PS, your little gift of good tidings from NZ won't be too far away.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline SmokeyTheElectrician

• Contributor
« Reply #9146 on: December 23, 2019, 11:36:41 am »
I agree! You got a decent deal there my friend  :-+
Good price.  :-+

I found the caveat in the deal,
the calibration just expired.

Which is fine for my bench.
I doubt my old GW Instek GOS-635G
was ever calibrated outside the factory
and it has served me well for the past
couple years ( bought used from someone
of whom I believed obtained it from
someone else who bought surplus from
when ITT Tech closed up shop ).

It must have gotten lost and been
laying around for 12 or 15 months
and they just wanted to clear it out.

If anyone is in the market for a great deal on a Rigol 1054z,
uCenter's web store was showing they still have a handful
or two scattered around the USA and last I checked they
were down to 184.31.
   ( store pick up only -- 1@Duluth-GA, 2@Rockville-MD, 2@Westbury-NY,
      1@Brooklyn-NY, and 3@Yonkers-NY )
By the time they sell the last one, someone is going to walk away
with a 1054z for something entirely ridiculous, like $35.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:47:19 am by SmokeyTheElectrician »
"We must stick them with quills! It's the only way!"
-- Scott Adams

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9147 on: December 23, 2019, 02:18:02 pm »
Even with the cal just out that's still a great deal. Like you say it'll be just fine for your bench and the self cal feature lets you know it's near enough right?

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9148 on: December 23, 2019, 05:59:25 pm »
This is non technical... well maybe slightly technical: I bought a drawing of some anime characters to use as a curtain on my server rack. This piece of printed cloth features the two heroines of the game and the anime White Album 2.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9149 on: December 24, 2019, 05:40:49 am »
This is non technical... well maybe slightly technical: I bought a drawing of some anime characters to use as a curtain on my server rack. This piece of printed cloth features the two heroines of the game and the anime White Album 2.
(Attachment Link)

Good story all around, a little sad to be sincere, if you only see the Anime (good adaptation from the base source, not very common). Although the adaptation is only the first part of the trilogy. You had to play the White Album 2: Extended Edition to get the Introductory Chapter (Anime related), the Closing Chapter and the Epilogue, that was released in 2018. I only played back in 2014, so I only got the Introductory and Closing chapters.

Between White Album and White Album 2 I really don't know who's to choose as the best one, but I prefer the story from White Album.

But let's end the offtopic.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 05:46:16 am by Black Phoenix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf