Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2799692 times)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9575 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »
One more thing lost in transit that arrived today:

- LEMO Connector FGG/PFG pair. Obviously is not the original LEMO branded one, since for the use I'm gonna give to them it's hard to justify the retail prices of them.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9576 on: April 22, 2020, 04:01:03 pm »
I bought one year of 1Password subscription today. Well I got scared by an InfoSec ghost story from a classmate of mine, and decided to immediately fortify my online prescence.

Offline 6h8c

• Contributor
  • Analog system
« Reply #9577 on: April 22, 2020, 04:30:07 pm »
I don't stop ... Another meter for the collection. 1K2 resistor measurement
Don't tell my wife how much this fun costs ... I want to live to build.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #9578 on: April 24, 2020, 08:25:46 am »
Another meter for the collection.

Are these old devices with TH components assembled manually? I mean component placement and soldering. Did they use any assisting tools or techniques? Like, component leads can be shaped and cut in advance.

Offline purfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9579 on: April 24, 2020, 08:38:01 pm »
I picked up an LPKF ProtoFlow S for $500 at auction.  Hope it works better than my Puhui T962!

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9580 on: April 24, 2020, 08:46:17 pm »
I don't stop ... Another meter for the collection.
Oooh... I have a deep love for Philips T&M equipment. I have a PM3214 scope sitting within arm's reach as I type this. I'm its original owner and it'll probably be buried with me. Your meter looks of the same vintage, they'd look like a family sitting next to each other.

SantaClaw

« Reply #9581 on: April 25, 2020, 03:04:50 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982282829.html

I unpacked this thing today..I'm happy as a... uhm.. happy thing.. Works great! Can tell it's 30 times better than the heated 30w solderpump/plunger thingy I've been using..

I have a second gun for it on it's way, It comes with some spare parts, I plan on having a different tip on it, so I can easily hot swap between two sizes. I do suspect getting the vacuum line on/off will be tiresome in the long haul..

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9582 on: April 25, 2020, 09:39:06 pm »
Scored a cheep bench grinder.  I have been looking occasionally and this was on the local Craigslist-Valley BG-6 6", 3/4 HP.  Fairly quiet on power up and very quiet on power down, no bearing noise that I could hear.  It was listed for 6 days when I saw it and figured it was probably gone but I would take a chance.  Just picked it up for the princely sum of $20 USD.  They sell online for twice that new but only come with a 1/2 HP motor.  Now to find a cheep bench drill press. :)

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9583 on: April 25, 2020, 10:06:21 pm »
Picked used RTX 2060 Super from Amazon to play with Machine Learning. Expecting to see 2 orders of magnitude performance improvement over otherwise nice K620, when utilizing tensor cores with mixed-precision models...

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9584 on: April 26, 2020, 10:25:50 am »
Picked used RTX 2060 Super from Amazon to play with Machine Learning. Expecting to see 2 orders of magnitude performance improvement over otherwise nice K620, when utilizing tensor cores with mixed-precision models...
You bought the wrong card. There are two different cores for the RTX 2060: the original RTX 2060 based on TU106, and a newer version based on TU104 that failed to qualify as RTX 2070. While nVidia did turn off features on those failed TU104 to align with TU106 in terms of game feature, a lot of non-game features are left on for whatever reason. Those RTX 2060 TU104 cards can perform close to an RTX 2080 levels when coming to non-gaming tasks like non-real-time rendering, compute and ML.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9585 on: April 26, 2020, 03:29:32 pm »
You bought the wrong card. There are two different cores for the RTX 2060: the original RTX 2060 based on TU106, and a newer version based on TU104 that failed to qualify as RTX 2070. While nVidia did turn off features on those failed TU104 to align with TU106 in terms of game feature, a lot of non-game features are left on for whatever reason. Those RTX 2060 TU104 cards can perform close to an RTX 2080 levels when coming to non-gaming tasks like non-real-time rendering, compute and ML.
Yeah, I bought the wrong card. I was looking for Tesla V100S, but strangely I can’t find one in a budget of few hundred dollars.

As for the RTX 2060 Super - it is definitely better for ML than its non-Super siblings both the new (TU104-based) and the old (TU106-based) ones. Significant differences: 2060S has more memory (can train in larger batches), wider memory bus, larger L2 cache. Marginal differences: slightly faster performance (in TFLOPS) due to 2060S having somewhat larger number of CUDA cores and tensor cores that run at slightly faster clock.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_20_series

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9586 on: April 26, 2020, 06:28:32 pm »
Scored a cheep bench grinder.  I have been looking occasionally and this was on the local Craigslist-Valley BG-6 6", 3/4 HP.  Fairly quiet on power up and very quiet on power down, no bearing noise that I could hear.  It was listed for 6 days when I saw it and figured it was probably gone but I would take a chance.  Just picked it up for the princely sum of $20 USD.  They sell online for twice that new but only come with a 1/2 HP motor.  Now to find a cheep bench drill press. :)

(Attachment Link)

Nice buy.
Some of these older motors are easy to repair and have standard bearings. In my experience buying older shop equipment (grinder, lathe, drill press, bandsaws, etc..) is once properly repaired is they will outlast the cheap/regular stuff.

Looking at what seems to be embedded metal on the wheels I would invest in a dressing tool and check balance properly before putting it to use. Also a good pair of safety glasses or a full face shield of course.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:01:04 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9587 on: April 26, 2020, 07:12:42 pm »
Yeah, I bought the wrong card. I was looking for Tesla V100S, but strangely I can’t find one in a budget of few hundred dollars.

As for the RTX 2060 Super - it is definitely better for ML than its non-Super siblings both the new (TU104-based) and the old (TU106-based) ones. Significant differences: 2060S has more memory (can train in larger batches), wider memory bus, larger L2 cache. Marginal differences: slightly faster performance (in TFLOPS) due to 2060S having somewhat larger number of CUDA cores and tensor cores that run at slightly faster clock.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_20_series
Benchmarks says otherwise if folks at Gamer Nexus are to be trusted. They have benchmarked the 2060 TU104 against both 2060 Super and 2080, finding the 2060 TU104 leaning very close to 2080 when running their suite of non-gaming tests. The key here is that other than spec sheet, there are more design differences in the TU104 and TU106 cores, some of them that is not reflected in the spec sheets, yet so fundamental that nVidia can not turn those off when binning the chips down. Something like improved FP64 handling, a better tensor core/RT core design, even physically spreading the cores out more so heat transfer can work better.

How does AMD bode now with ML? There are folks now buying retired mining rigs loaded with RX 470 and RX 480 for ML tasks.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9588 on: April 26, 2020, 07:35:35 pm »
Lesseee,

Two staplers, A Swedish Isaberg Rapid and an USA-made N-C J60.
5 pairs of scissors, mostly for fabric. Swedish, Finnish, and UK made.
3 wood chisels, 2 Bacho / E A Berg and one Finnish, Sorsakoski.
3 sheet metal shears, US / German made.

BSPT 1/2" thread die, for normal die holder.
UNC 1/2" die and taps set. I have BSW but lacked UNC in 1/2".

I'm holding my breath a bit for a quite fascinating piece of TE to top this off. 

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9589 on: April 26, 2020, 07:53:29 pm »
A part for my upcomming ESXi machine.

A DELL INTEL I350-T4 QUAD PORT 1GB RJ-45 FULL HEIGHT NETWORK CARD - X8DHT
Seller accepted £35
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-INTEL-I350-T4-QUAD-PORT-1GB-RJ-45-FULL-HEIGHT-NETWORK-CARD-X8DHT/164023162789

A genuine INTEL I350-T4 QUAD is hard to come by, as China is flooding fakes out.
The OEM's (DELL / Lenovo etc...) , are less hit (yet)

A good hint to a genuine is that the DELTA xformers must have the DELTA engraved into the plastic

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9590 on: April 26, 2020, 09:23:36 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Nice buy.
Some of these older motors are repeatable and have standard bearings. In my experience buying older shop equipment (grinder, lathe, drill press, bandsaws, etc..) is once properly repaired is they will outlast the cheap/regular stuff.

Looking at what seems to be embedded metal on the wheels I would invest in a dressing tool and check balance properly before putting it to use. Also a good pair of safety glasses or a full face shield of course.

I am actually planning on replacing the wheels with a wire wheel and polishing wheel for what I want to use it for.  I will see about picking up a dressing tool and I do have a full face shield already.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9591 on: April 26, 2020, 10:05:11 pm »
Edited the autocorrect booboo in the original post GreyWoolfe.
Dressing tool comment was if you intended to use the originals as shown in the picture.
Best of luck with it.
Cheers and stay safe.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:07:30 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9592 on: April 29, 2020, 08:02:12 am »
Shallow Rake Aluminium blade for my Tracksaw, V slot and general Aluminium/Acrylic choppage. The other is just a prop  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9593 on: April 30, 2020, 09:15:35 pm »
A nice accessory for my scope and DMM, sort of the opposite of the uCurrent. Does that make it a MacroCurrent?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: exe, duckduck

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9594 on: May 01, 2020, 09:56:11 pm »

A nice accessory for my scope and DMM, sort of the opposite of the uCurrent. Does that make it a MacroCurrent?

No it's uCurrent on steroids  ;)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9595 on: May 03, 2020, 06:36:09 pm »
So I encountered an IKEA Tradfri Zigbee LED light bulb at 1/8 its original price in the as-is section of my local IKEA store today and snatched that. Now I have a known good Zigbee Light Link target, time to cook up that AT86RF231-based ZigBee module, either as a Pi HAT or a USB dongle. (The USB dongle option uses STM32F103 as the main MCU, and that version also allows me to throw in an additional PA/LNA/RF switch combo chip for added sensitivity.)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #9596 on: May 04, 2020, 08:03:58 pm »
Latest Buy:

A TL886II+ programmer.
Nice feature:
It could test logic ICs also....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #9597 on: May 05, 2020, 04:09:38 pm »
Kelvin leads for the Fluke 8505A. I had to cut the nanny shields off the plugs so they would fit in the non-CAT banana jacks.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #9598 on: May 05, 2020, 05:24:34 pm »
20A Variac. They are around US$75 delivered from an importer in California that sells them on Ebay. This is going to be super useful for testing tube guitar amps and anything where the device under test runs on 120 V AC, obviously.

EDIT: Yes, it's a red-peril variac: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/dangerous-fuseholder-wiring-in-variac/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:11:36 pm by duckduck »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Samsung DDR4 ECC M393A2K43BB1-CRC
« Reply #9599 on: May 07, 2020, 12:51:40 pm »
ECC DDR4 16GB x 2 pieces, Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC, related to my other thread -> HERE
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:49:25 am by BravoV »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf