Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 455871 times)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1375 on: October 05, 2021, 03:30:03 am »
There seems to be a new trend where browsers decide that when you type in the address bar that you are wanting to do a search instead of going to a url so it just dumps the hostname of whatever you were trying to access into google, essentially leaking potentially confidential info to the internet.  No, I don't want to do a search, if I wanted to do a search I would have went to a search engine!  This is very annoying on mobile since you need to type out the whole http : // part which is annoying on a mobile keyboard.

It seems they are making it harder and harder to disable this feature too.  There used to be an easy way to do it but they keep hiding the option.   Even Firefox is doing this crap now, just got an update and I can't seem to find a way to disable it.   I'm at a point where I just want to set my home page to a custom internal website that has it's own address bar to act as a redirector.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, james_s

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1376 on: October 05, 2021, 05:47:00 am »
Aw man.

Why can't the browser just accept that I typed 192.x.x.x without needing to add the S next to http?

:-//

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1377 on: October 05, 2021, 06:01:36 am »
That too, some seem to INSIST you use https.  Well maybe not everything is or should be https, ex: local stuff on your LAN.   Which brings me to another thing.. so many things seem to forget that local things even exist.  Android for example will complain if the wifi network has no internet and keep giving you issues.    If I wanted a wifi network with internet, then I would have connected to a wifi network with internet!  Now stop nagging me and just let me connect to the local resource I'm trying to connect to!

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: October 05, 2021, 09:52:18 am »
Append a single / to the end, that will not trigger search.
As far as i remember, it will now try https:// first.

For Chrome, i have manually added a "blank" search engine, and set that as default.
As Query URL set "http://%s"

Then set that as default search, and anything you type will only trigger a http request. I assume that something similar is possible with Firefox.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Vovk_Z

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #1379 on: October 05, 2021, 04:46:08 pm »
There seems to be a new trend where browsers decide that when you type in the address bar that you are wanting to do a search instead of going to a url so it just dumps the hostname of whatever you were trying to access into google, essentially leaking potentially confidential info to the internet.  No, I don't want to do a search, if I wanted to do a search I would have went to a search engine!  This is very annoying on mobile since you need to type out the whole http : // part which is annoying on a mobile keyboard.

arrrrgh, I hate this, especially when (like others in this thread have noted) I am typing in an IPV4 address.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1380 on: October 05, 2021, 04:47:31 pm »
The word is:

SILICON

not

SILICONE.

(Unless you are talking about gel inserts, fake boobs or plumbing sealants.)

The following users thanked this post: brabus, tooki

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1381 on: October 05, 2021, 04:50:14 pm »
The word is:

SILICON

not

SILICONE.

(Unless you are talking about gel inserts, fake boobs or plumbing sealants.)

Or slippy spray stuff.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #1382 on: October 05, 2021, 05:22:38 pm »
Or insulation on good test leads.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #1383 on: October 05, 2021, 07:17:28 pm »
Silicon is a natural chemical element .

silicone is a man-made product      :popcorn:
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #1384 on: October 05, 2021, 07:43:03 pm »
Aw man.

Why can't the browser just accept that I typed 192.x.x.x without needing to add the S next to http?

:-//

Because it wants to teach you to use DNS. You know, like Facebook.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: October 05, 2021, 08:39:32 pm »
A while back there was discussion of Chrome getting rid of the URL field completely. All they'd offer would be the search text line. If you wanted a specific URL, you'd type it into the search line.

No thanks. The inability to directly specify the target address means it's no longer a browser anymore. It would simply be the Google portal.

I don't know where this ended up in their plans (if anywhere) because I don't use Chrome.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1386 on: October 05, 2021, 10:39:54 pm »
Or insulation on good expensive test leads.
Fixed that for you (semi-kidding).

Most of the affordable and usable test leads I have, are just overly plasticized PVA.  The difference is that that stuff does burn at temperatures where silicone doesn't.
Aside from lower maximum temperature, the downside is that the plasticizer tends to leech out if in contact with a compatible plastic, and completely meld the lead into that plastic.  So they're definitely usable and perhaps even good, just not as good as proper silicone test leads.

I wonder how many have tested their test leads whether they really are silicone or just overly plasticized PVA?  I bet many have the latter, while believing them to be the former.

Apologies for the repeat-peeve (I already mentioned this way back in this thread).

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: October 06, 2021, 08:37:28 am »
@IDEngineer:

Well, that *is* the state of the URL Bar in Chrome. And Firefox. And i suspect the new Edge as well.

Anything you type into that, as long as you have not changed the defaults, is searched first if it is not a full URL or followed by a /

Chrome only shows a partial URL, the protocol and the www. is omitted.
I hate that so much is hidden away from the user. That is dangerous in my opinion and can lead to ignorance.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1388 on: October 06, 2021, 09:10:07 am »
@IDEngineer:

Well, that *is* the state of the URL Bar in Chrome. And Firefox. And i suspect the new Edge as well.

Anything you type into that, as long as you have not changed the defaults, is searched first if it is not a full URL or followed by a /

Chrome only shows a partial URL, the protocol and the www. is omitted.
I hate that so much is hidden away from the user. That is dangerous in my opinion and can lead to ignorance.
Yes. So annoying. Windows did this by trying to hide filename extensions. A file you thought was a picture was actually treated by the OS as an executable with a nasty paylode.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #1389 on: October 06, 2021, 09:33:08 pm »
Or insulation on good expensive test leads.
Fixed that for you (semi-kidding).

Most of the affordable and usable test leads I have, are just overly plasticized PVA.  The difference is that that stuff does burn at temperatures where silicone doesn't.
Aside from lower maximum temperature, the downside is that the plasticizer tends to leech out if in contact with a compatible plastic, and completely meld the lead into that plastic.  So they're definitely usable and perhaps even good, just not as good as proper silicone test leads.

I wonder how many have tested their test leads whether they really are silicone or just overly plasticized PVA?  I bet many have the latter, while believing them to be the former.

Apologies for the repeat-peeve (I already mentioned this way back in this thread).

The plasticized PVA junk is a peeve of mine. I think different vendors on the cheapness scale even have different formulations... I recall years ago digging a set out of a storage box only a couple years old and the "plastic" had dried up and was brittle. It had cracks and crumbles which is downright risky if you use them for high voltage work. Plus its "stiffer" when working with it. After I threw away that mess,  I decided I didn't care about a few extra bucks for good silicone leads, I would pay it. I'd guess any vendor who uses the plasticized stuff also probably didn't put a lot of care into the testing of such..
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1390 on: October 07, 2021, 01:17:02 am »
Shopping trolleys with fixed wheels on the back and castor wheels on the front!  |O

To steer them you have to exert a twisting force with the whole length of your body, and heaven help you if you have a bad back, especially if it is loaded up with heavy stuff. It would be so so soooo much better if they had fixed wheels on the front and castor wheels on the back. That way you only have to push the handlebar laterally to steer it and it is very easy to keep it in a straight line, particularly if you have to cross a car park that slopes a little to one side.

And lets not even think about shopping trolleys with four castor wheels.  :palm:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:19:44 am by Circlotron »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1391 on: October 07, 2021, 01:24:47 am »
better if they had fixed wheels on the front and castor wheels on the back

You ever tried maneuvering a boat down a canal? Reversing your car down a winding lane? I really don't think it would be sensible to let that format loose on your average shopper :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1392 on: October 07, 2021, 04:24:57 am »
That rubbery soft touch coating that is on a lot of laptops, remotes and other electronic equipment. It feels nice and luxurious at first but it invariably turns to sticky goo eventually that ranges from difficult to impossible to remove without completely destroying the item.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Labrat101

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: October 07, 2021, 04:27:21 am »
You do know it is possible to push a trolley backwards?  Puts the castors next to you like you want, and with a better bumper in the direction you are headed.  Only drawbacks.  The "handle"  is a bit less comfortable.  You look a little weird.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: October 07, 2021, 05:11:23 am »
You do know it is possible to push a trolley backwards?  Puts the castors next to you like you want, and with a better bumper in the direction you are headed.  Only drawbacks.  The "handle"  is a bit less comfortable.  You look a little weird.

Ever tried doing that? I have, not for the steering aspect but because I happened to be standing on that end a few times and had to move it. The "tongue" underneath sticks out enough that it hits you in the shin. The back of a cart is cut out so you have space to walk. If the castors were at the back it would probably cause a similar problem when the back end swung around.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1395 on: October 07, 2021, 12:35:14 pm »
That rubbery soft touch coating that is on a lot of laptops, remotes and other electronic equipment. It feels nice and luxurious at first but it invariably turns to sticky goo eventually that ranges from difficult to impossible to remove without completely destroying the item.

Planned obsolescence!

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1396 on: October 07, 2021, 01:05:32 pm »

Planned obsolescence!

From this thread 1 year ago...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/your-pet-peeve-technical-or-otherwise/msg3252734/#msg3252734

:)
iratus parum formica

Offline gerber

« Reply #1397 on: October 07, 2021, 01:09:32 pm »

You ever tried maneuvering a boat down a canal? Reversing your car down a winding lane? I really don't think it would be sensible to let that format loose on your average shopper :)

Or seen someone use a hand pallet truck for the first time? Rear wheel steering is hard to get used to if you're a front wheel steerer

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: October 07, 2021, 03:19:22 pm »
Shopping trolleys with fixed wheels on the back and castor wheels on the front!  |O

To steer them you have to exert a twisting force with the whole length of your body, and heaven help you if you have a bad back, especially if it is loaded up with heavy stuff. It would be so so soooo much better if they had fixed wheels on the front and castor wheels on the back. That way you only have to push the handlebar laterally to steer it and it is very easy to keep it in a straight line, particularly if you have to cross a car park that slopes a little to one side.

And lets not even think about shopping trolleys with four castor wheels.  :palm:

I see how The Average Person maneuvers a shopping cart in the store, and it's horrifying. Then I think about how those people are going to get into a car (or, increasingly, a giant SUV) and drive, and that's utter madness.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1399 on: October 07, 2021, 04:05:06 pm »

Or seen someone use a hand pallet truck for the first time? Rear wheel steering is hard to get used to if you're a front wheel steerer

Or flown a plane with 'conventional' landing gear (a taildragger) and taxied at anything much above a walking pace.  You need to be on your game with the rudder pedals as these flying machines are by nature directionally unstable and want to swap ends (known among pilots as a ground loop) when moving on the ground.  With the center of gravity behind the main gear, any deviation from straight causes positive feedback and builds upon itself quickly - the mass of the airplane wants to keep going the direction it was, but the mains want to go straight relative to the way they're pointing, and they're now pointing off to the slide slightly.  As they move in the new direction they're pointing, the CG moves further off center and before you know it you're in the weeds on the outside wingtip wondering what happened.  Just give a shopping cart/trolley a shove backwards and let go to see it in action - it won't go far before it veers off in one direction or the other and then quickly spins out.  Steering from the rear can be very maneuverable on the ground, but takes some getting used to, and with an airplane you really need to 'fly' it from the moment you start moving until you have stopped again.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf