Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 462234 times)

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #2200 on: September 13, 2022, 06:43:27 am »
[A fetus] is not even a person until it has been born,
That is where we differ, but I respect your right to have your point of view. No flame war intended.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2201 on: September 13, 2022, 08:34:16 am »
While we're on the topic of plugs and outlets... If you're in the USA, who shares my hatred of those relatively new (and NEC required) "childproof" wall sockets with the internal doors over the prongs? Theoretically the doors are supposed to retract when the ground prong goes in first, but my experience is that you push and shove and try various angles until the doors just crack out of the way. Unfortunately, they don't seem to actually break off so you get to enjoy this little song and dance every time.

Yes I hate those, but here, at least in the Netherlands and France, you can't buy them without this.  >:(  On extension cords I usually go at them with a dremel to get rid of them.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2202 on: September 13, 2022, 08:37:40 am »
“LIFE FOUND ON MARS”

but we are supposed to believe that a human fetus with a heartbeat, is not life.

IMHO until it can survive independently of another organism it is not a life form, it is a parasite. Sperms are alive, we don't worry about those.
By that reasoning then, a hospital patient on life support would be considered a parasite. So why do we go to such great lengths to keep them alive? Besides there being lots of money to be made, in contrast to preventing a child coming into the world

Emotion and hope. Often rational thinking goes out of the window in these case.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2203 on: September 13, 2022, 09:08:08 am »
Pet peeve #2203 :

Heavy light fittings held up on a ceiling by a single tiny grub screw.

Just fitted a lamp made from brass and glass, weighing around two kilos without lamps. Despite the mounting bracket being 'engineered' to the ceiling so not even an earthquake can move it, the lamp attaches to the bracket with a 5mm long M3 grub screw. Please, "no swinging from the light fittings".

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2204 on: September 13, 2022, 02:28:38 pm »
While we're on the topic of plugs and outlets... If you're in the USA, who shares my hatred of those relatively new (and NEC required) "childproof" wall sockets with the internal doors over the prongs? Theoretically the doors are supposed to retract when the ground prong goes in first, but my experience is that you push and shove and try various angles until the doors just crack out of the way. Unfortunately, they don't seem to actually break off so you get to enjoy this little song and dance every time.

Yes I hate those, but here, at least in the Netherlands and France, you can't buy them without this.  >:(  On extension cords I usually go at them with a dremel to get rid of them.

Yes, when we had some work done two years ago the electrician installed them in a new room, to meet code requirements.
They work fine with a three-prong plug, but our vacuum cleaner is double-insulated and has a (polarized) two prong plug.
Luckily, the outlets are never in the right place anyway, so we use (legal) outlet strips (with breaker) that have non-childproof three-prong sockets.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2205 on: September 13, 2022, 03:20:09 pm »
If you're in the USA, who shares my hatred of those relatively new (and NEC required) "childproof" wall sockets with the internal doors over the prongs?
wait until  you get the moronic "safety experts" calling for covers to be fitted that actually make things more dangerous.
Just fitted a lamp made from brass and glass, weighing around two kilos without lamps.
with the standard cord grips as found in batten holders and ceiling roses a bit of 0.5mm is allowed to support upto 2Kg,move up to 1mm and its 5Kg

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2206 on: September 14, 2022, 05:52:22 pm »
Another pet peeve:  Use of the word "midnight" in news articles.
Right now in the US, there is a possibility of a railroad strike in a few days.
The media insist on calling the time of the strike "midnight Friday".
One site tried to get this right and said "midnight Friday, so the strike starts 12:01 AM on Saturday".
With 24 hour clocks, 24:00 on Friday would be 00:00 on Saturday, and the ambiguity disappears.
(US railroads usually avoid this problem in their timetables by avoiding midnight and scheduling at either 11:59 PM or 12:01 AM when using 12-hour clocks.)

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2207 on: September 14, 2022, 06:22:14 pm »
Related: If one must use 12 hour time representation, why always use the trailing "M"? It's 100% redundant and conveys zero additional information.

1:23P is completely unambiguous. We do not need to write 1:23PM. Likewise 1:23A and 1:23P cannot be misinterpreted, despite the absence of the trailing M's.

Yeah, I know, but I'm a bandwidth and storage nazi so every character matters!

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2208 on: September 14, 2022, 06:30:34 pm »
Related: If one must use 12 hour time representation, why always use the trailing "M"? It's 100% redundant and conveys zero additional information.

1:23P is completely unambiguous. We do not need to write 1:23PM. Likewise 1:23A and 1:23P cannot be misinterpreted, despite the absence of the trailing M's.

Note that the trailing "M" refers to noon, not midnight.
Ante meridiem and post meridiem.
This leads to further confusion at 12:00 AM and 12:00 PM, since 12:00 PM is (usually) noon, unless it is 12 hours after noon (literally).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 06:32:36 pm by TimFox »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2209 on: September 14, 2022, 06:40:47 pm »
If you think about it, even the phase of our local clocks is all wrong.  I mean, a normal day starts at around 6-9, midday is at 12 and immediately wraps down to 1, with evening starting at around 5 or so –– but with some variation depending on whether you have siesta or similar or not.

Why isn't 12 at the bottom, instead?  Then the day would change around when people start waking up for the new day, and the first turn of the clock is the typical wakefullness time ("day"), and the second turn the typical sleep time ("night"), say corresponding to when the sun is visible on the equator at that latitude or time zone.

My pet peeve isn't the clock, though.  It's my own frigging mind, which finds these kinds of things to wonder about, all the time.  And it annoys me to no end.  I know there is an interesting long history behind it, some of it lost, some of it very obscure, and anyway it is one of those 'culture' things you grow into and cannot really change.  I'd rather wonder about some useful stuff instead.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2210 on: September 14, 2022, 06:50:46 pm »
Before the Meiji Restoration, during the Tokugawa Shogunate, the Japanese time system separated "day" and "night", and divided each into six parts.
Therefore, the length of an hour varied with the season.
This interesting link discusses the mechanical clocks used in the traditional system:  https://museum.seiko.co.jp/en/knowledge/relation_15/
There were several locations in Edo (now Tokyo) with bells to synchronize timekeeping in the metropolitan area.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2211 on: September 14, 2022, 06:55:45 pm »
but with some variation depending on whether you have siesta or similar or not.

I thought siesta was a southern thing, you know in warm countries where it is to hot to work between 14:00 and 16:00 or so.

I guess in your neck of the wood it is more like hibernation :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2212 on: September 14, 2022, 08:14:14 pm »

I guess I never really thought of that. I suppose though by that logic we could truncate all sorts of words and the message would still carry, but grammar dictates otherwise.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2213 on: September 14, 2022, 08:17:36 pm »
the body naturally jettisons an egg every month, nobody gets upset about that.

Oh yeah? Try co-cohabitating with a host of said egg.

;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Valid point. That thought did cross my mind at the time. It is a different sort of upset though.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2214 on: September 15, 2022, 12:35:13 am »
I guess I never really thought of that. I suppose though by that logic we could truncate all sorts of words and the message would still carry, but grammar dictates otherwise.
Take it to a ridiculous extreme, and you have modern texting! LOL BFG etc.

Offline TomWinTejas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2215 on: September 15, 2022, 01:08:23 am »
My pet peeve is using the suffix gate for any scandal.  Watergate wasn't a scandal about water, it was the name of the office building where the scandal occurred.   

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Vincent

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
« Reply #2216 on: September 15, 2022, 11:54:07 pm »
My pet peeve is using the suffix gate for any scandal.  Watergate wasn't a scandal about water, it was the name of the office building where the scandal occurred.

Did someone say sensationalism?  :scared:

My personal favourite was probably the Sharpiegate. Watching the coverage of it I was like "...is this real life?   :palm: " I forgot the details of it but I do remember it was 100% genuine silliness.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2217 on: September 16, 2022, 12:11:20 am »
I swear some people use "-gate" in a vain attempt to generate more outrage than is justified.

News used to be news. Now it's just politics.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2218 on: September 16, 2022, 10:04:59 am »
Many years ago I used to be able to buy these round open terminals by the buckets. I liked them as they have a very round and large contact area with the head of the screw.

However, it seems that nowadays the only ones that I can buy are the "spade" types with square corners...  :(

Well, that or my google-fu skills are lacking severely... But I searched everywhere where these things are sold, including the typical trade sites eBay, Aliexpress, Banggood, etc.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2219 on: September 16, 2022, 10:07:46 am »
Yeah. What happened to them?
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2220 on: September 16, 2022, 10:10:50 am »
Have a look at "ring terminal high temp"

Might have to cut the slot.  :-\
iratus parum formica

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2221 on: September 16, 2022, 12:57:32 pm »
Many years ago I used to be able to buy these round open terminals by the buckets. I liked them as they have a very round and large contact area with the head of the screw.

However, it seems that nowadays the only ones that I can buy are the "spade" types with square corners...  :(

Well, that or my google-fu skills are lacking severely... But I searched everywhere where these things are sold, including the typical trade sites eBay, Aliexpress, Banggood, etc.

Back in my first job, we sold the first type as "spade connectors", so that is what I think of when I hear the term.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2222 on: September 16, 2022, 02:05:31 pm »

If you look at it afresh, the bottom one is simply the top one with extra material at the ends to prevent a point occurring. It looks like it has less material overall because the hole is larger compared to the full width, but the top one with the same size hole would have less material.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2223 on: September 16, 2022, 02:51:21 pm »
My pet peeve is that while LEDs have exceeded 200lm/W years ago and 80-90% efficient driver circuits are easy to design, we mere mortals (unless we live in Saudi Arabia or whatever, I forgot which country it was exactly where efficient LED lights are available) have to buy lowest tier factory floor crap LEDs.

For a bulb, the available range is 80 - 105 lm/W. From crap to just barely acceptable. But it gets worse with fixtures, much worse. I am looking for either self-adhesive LED strip, or slim aluminum cased fixture to install under the kitchen cabinets to light up the work areas. I looked in every local store, including Bauhaus for example which usually does not just sell cheap crap but have decent offerings. And what I found out, almost all products are 50 lm/W and the best ones, good brands, are approaching 80 lm/W. There is no excuse for this crap, these products do not have fancy diffusers or shades which would explain the poor efficiency (but at least give some visual improvement).

I have set my mental limit so that I absolutely refuse to buy a LED fixture below 90 lm/W so no kitchen work lights for us, then. I need to import these from more developed countries, or design and build my own LED lights.

And I'm even willing to pay, but high-efficiency stuff is simply not an option, at any price, even when we are in the middle of energy crisis. Go figure.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 02:53:17 pm by Siwastaja »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #2224 on: September 16, 2022, 04:15:58 pm »
I know nothing, but parroting BigClive, I do believe that the luminosity per watt for a LED is much below the maximum current.  As shown by BigClive, the Doobys just run the pretty much same LED chips at lower currents.

This means that if you want more efficient lighting, just grab some good quality lamps, about twice the luminosity you need, and replace their LED drivers with ones that produce about half the current.

If I had a reliable calibrated luminosity measuring device, this is exactly what I'd be testing with a few different LEDs, including some el-cheapo eBay ones, as well as proper quality ones: the luminosity per watt curve at different constant currents.  Yes yes, I know, many believe it is "basically constant", but it isn't, or the Dooby LEDs would not exist in the form they do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf