Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 456417 times)

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #4025 on: April 03, 2024, 09:06:49 pm »
Yep, was too distracted/concentrated compiling my project, took the subtle trolling literally :palm:

Wasn't planning on trolling. It's a way my friends used to explain to other why top post is bad. Being on a mailing list with a few hundred emails a day if you didn't snip emails or reply correctly then the spectrum collective would rise up and pick on you until you corrected your ways.

Though I did sneak in one troll, that was those that reply in the quoted text, leaving you wondering what is quoted and what is reply.

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: eutectique

Offline Xena E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4026 on: April 04, 2024, 05:42:24 pm »
Xena that’s exceptionally poor form publicly naming and shaming an employee. Every one was young and dumb once , but it appears that you sir, are not worthy of having employees in your charge.

Thank you for your opinions.

It is young dumb dangerous idiots like him who get people killed.

He has already had numerous complaints made against him by other members of my department, beside his lack of productivity.

I am gently letting him know that it will not be tolerated, and giving him the chance to consider his behaviour.

I have no problem with verbal banter but do not tolerate practical jokes.

He has done far worse to others, this way he gets a final, and I mean final chance. I have only brought this to his attention so as not alert those who would have no choice but terminate his contract, there is zero tolerance for stupidity like this by the company's HR and H&S: I doubt any of those persons would read this forum.

I could not berate the guy in the work place in front of colleagues as it would then have to become public and he would have to have been dismissed already.

Supposedly a college wizz kid, this person has in the last two weeks played various stunts including putting IPA in a colleagues drinks cup.

If you, sir,  think that is funny you are as much a dumb **** as he is.

If you wish to address me again my pronouns are She and Her, my acceptable titles are Miss, Ms, or formally, Doctor.

Not sir.

Regards.
Xena.

Then report it and get him fired, someone who does the things you claim needs to learn the hard way.

I gave the guy a chance by letting him know what would happen without confrontation at work. Due process is a drag to go through and not nice to be identified as a whistle blower.

Sorry for using the forum thus.

However he was more stupid than I first thought as he took a screen shot of the linked post before it was deleted and went to HR himself to put in a complaint about me, claiming bullying.

After talking to others in the department, HR focused more on his behaviour than mine and was summarily dismissed this afternoon.

If he thinks he's funny and wants to act like a twat he can do it somewhere else now.

Regards,
Xena.

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4027 on: April 04, 2024, 05:47:31 pm »
I know what it is like believe me.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4028 on: April 07, 2024, 10:27:27 am »
for a pet peeve how about whatever the fuck you call reassembling a leatherman with those fucking keyed washers on the fucking keyed shaft that is barely fucking visible without keyed end caps with zero fucking clearance on the fat fucking flat hex screwdriver tip holder

why did i fucking take that fucking thing apart for cleaning. You need special fucking tweezers or something for that. holy shit

it would be approximately 50000 times less annoying if the god damn venier end washer was keyed so it does not fucking spin around.

not to mention that god damn lever you need to depress or the shaft siezes. I need doctor fucking octopus to do this shit for me

and chemistry laboratory jacks are bad too they also play demented games with snap rings and crappy rollers.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:31:47 am by coppercone2 »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #4029 on: April 13, 2024, 06:13:28 pm »
One of my peeves is excessive and unnecessary profanity in print, past the point of cuteness.

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo, Circlotron, schmitt trigger

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4030 on: April 21, 2024, 08:57:08 pm »
   Station Astronauts bobbing up and down, (like some crazed Frank Zappa set).

We've all seen it;...space station 'employees' bobbing up and down for the NASA camera shot, with vidio about life...whoosh...in space....  whoosh.   (whoosh).

Such a petty nuisance, In these troubled times.   But they also (all) seem to wear the ugliest clothes ...
A friend refers to the pants as 'birth control's fashion, mainly because no one could hope for a date, in THOSE grey cargo pants.

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4031 on: April 24, 2024, 12:26:56 pm »
Amazon and Ebay begging for product reviews before I have a chance to test them out.  They think the review should be based on shipping and first appearances. I like to test things out first.  They could give me 2 weeks to get to know the product before filling my email box with junk.

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4032 on: April 24, 2024, 01:00:00 pm »
They think the review should be based on shipping and first appearances. I like to test things out first.
They don't care about honest reviews and they (at least Amazon) are notorious for not allowing negative reviews. All they need is to sell, regardless of whether the product is good or bad.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4033 on: April 24, 2024, 01:38:34 pm »
I bought a passive audio channel switch box on Amazon.

After 3 weeks the selector buttons became intermittent and scratchy.

I said that in the review.

"Your review has been rejected because of reasons."
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4034 on: April 24, 2024, 06:07:44 pm »
Something that bothers me is when quite valuable electronics (industrial equipment, minicomputers, etc) are sent to scrap simply because the parties who are cleaning out a house/storage unit don't see the value. In one recent case I saw what must be at least $5K (potentially much more) of hardware tossed into dumpsters and turned into waste.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #4035 on: April 27, 2024, 07:16:25 pm »
I bought a passive audio channel switch box on Amazon.

After 3 weeks the selector buttons became intermittent and scratchy.

I said that in the review.

"Your review has been rejected because of reasons."
Resubmit it to Amazon
Add amazon, company name and model to your post.
Even if Amazon rejects it, google will find it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 08:17:13 pm by DimitriP »
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Online Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4036 on: April 27, 2024, 08:15:24 pm »
Pet peeve: Hackers.

Instead of spending an evening watching movies on Friday night with my wife, I spent over an hour on the phone with Netflix after a hacker hacked my account, changed my password and the email associated with my account, and locked me out. Bastards...
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf