Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 455188 times)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #825 on: May 29, 2021, 03:55:51 am »
Dark overlays/animations and dimming on dialogues and pretty much creeping to everything, newish android phone, I am trying to put a wireless and moved the notes in the background around the dialogue to see it as the key on the side but the background was so dark I couldn't see it. I couldn't find any way to turn that whatever it is off. To me I think it is very stupid and it hurts my eyes when excessive. Whether it was done for a decoration (maybe whoever done it thought it looked good) or if it was "help" users "focus" because 'somehow all the information in the background might confuse them with the dialogue in front.

A setting to leave the background alone, mostly like the previous android 5 or so (there were a few but not that dark) isn't that much to ask for?

I believe the various dark themes are actually intended to extend battery life.  But I totally agree, they are extremely annoying and I disable them wherever encountered.  I haven't left one in place long enough to find out if it actually makes a difference in battery life.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #826 on: May 29, 2021, 04:32:32 pm »
The word kernal.

There is no such word in English; it is kernel.

As a non-native English speaker, it somehow is one of those words that pokes me in the eye when I see it.  I am well aware that because the latter vowel is silent in spoken language, native speakers do not care, nor see any issue here.  But to me, someone who mostly reads and writes English, it is always jarring to see it.  I'd compare it to writing "speech" as "speeche", "which" as "witch", and so on.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #827 on: May 29, 2021, 04:53:36 pm »
As a native English speaker (and writer!), the non-binary pronouns thing triggers big grammar alarms whenever my eyes float over them. Maybe non-natives find those easier.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #828 on: May 29, 2021, 05:37:52 pm »
As a native English speaker (and writer!), the non-binary pronouns thing triggers big grammar alarms whenever my eyes float over them. Maybe non-natives find those easier.
As a Finnish native speaker, I must say I do find them easy – even comfortable –, but that's just because Finnish has no gendered words except for a few nouns like "chairman", ("actress" - no, they're all called "actors" nowadays), or say "fireman".  Sorry!

That said, I think I know how that feels.  The opposite case occurs often in programming, when one deals with "parent" and "child" processes.  People from certain cultures insist calling these (in English) "father" and "son", which sounds really odd to me. (But it isn't a peeve for me, because it doesn't stop my linguistic processor like encountering 'kernal', or 'witch' instead of 'which', do.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:39:28 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #829 on: May 29, 2021, 05:45:10 pm »
I'm a native English speaker and "kernal" would annoy me, it's a misspelled word. It isn't one that I have seen misspelled like that often though. The English mistakes that bother me the most are people who can't figure out the difference between there/their/they're. I see that all the time.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #830 on: May 29, 2021, 08:34:30 pm »
I'm a native English speaker and "kernal" would annoy me, it's a misspelled word. It isn't one that I have seen misspelled like that often though. The English mistakes that bother me the most are people who can't figure out the difference between there/their/they're. I see that all the time.

I find it often in my own writing.  When I haven't checked what auto correct did to me.

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #831 on: May 29, 2021, 10:58:41 pm »
I'm a native English speaker and "kernal" would annoy me, it's a misspelled word. It isn't one that I have seen misspelled like that often though.
The good folks at Commodore fell for this one, and decided to invent a backronym to keep the misspelling:palm:

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #832 on: May 29, 2021, 11:24:36 pm »

As a non-native English speaker, I notice a lot of "natives" also struggle with then/than.   Seems weird to mix those up, people that do it must be spelling phonetically?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #833 on: May 30, 2021, 12:20:54 am »
One that seems to catch out Americans is affect/effect. The BBC suggests that might be down to pronunciation - in British English they are pronounced differently whereas in American English they sound the same. No idea if that's actually the case.

edit: source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/course/eiam/unit-1/session-34

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #834 on: May 30, 2021, 01:22:45 am »
A VERY annoying thing:

You load a website/app on your smartphone, and JUST when you reach to tap a certain icon or link... THE PAGE JUMPS! SO YOU TAP SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!  :-DD :palm:

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #835 on: May 30, 2021, 01:58:13 am »
in British English they are pronounced differently whereas in American English they sound the same
They are distinct in American English too, if the speaker speaks clearly. Sadly, many do not.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #836 on: May 30, 2021, 02:00:02 am »
One that seems to catch out Americans is affect/effect. The BBC suggests that might be down to pronunciation - in British English they are pronounced differently whereas in American English they sound the same. No idea if that's actually the case.

In Australian English, there is a microscopic difference in pronunciation, but it isn't that hard to work out from context, anyway.

"British English" tends to be a rather idealised version of how Brits speak, whereas real Brits vary radically in their pronunciation of the same words.

Remember, "Brits" includes Scots, people from Northern Ireland, & Wales as well as English people.

Even amongst the latter, there those who call horses "horse-is", others who pronounce "a" as in "cat", more like "ar", so our feline friend would be a "cart", & I haven't even mentioned Yorkshiremen, Cornish folk, & a slew of others.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #837 on: May 30, 2021, 02:37:36 am »
While we're on variations in pronunciation, here in Australia we pronounce buoy as boy and buoyancy as boyancy. Americans say booey, but how do they say buoyancy?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #838 on: May 30, 2021, 02:57:44 am »

In Australian English, there is a microscopic difference in pronunciation, but it isn't that hard to work out from context, anyway.

"British English" tends to be a rather idealised version of how Brits speak, whereas real Brits vary radically in their pronunciation of the same words.

Remember, "Brits" includes Scots, people from Northern Ireland, & Wales as well as English people.

Even amongst the latter, there those who call horses "horse-is", others who pronounce "a" as in "cat", more like "ar", so our feline friend would be a "cart", & I haven't even mentioned Yorkshiremen, Cornish folk, & a slew of others.

My favourite English regional dialect:

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #839 on: May 30, 2021, 03:21:25 am »
Americans say booey, but how do they say buoyancy?
The same way you do.

Nobody said Americans were consistent!

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #840 on: May 30, 2021, 04:02:36 am »
While we're on variations in pronunciation, here in Australia we pronounce buoy as boy and buoyancy as boyancy. Americans say booey, but how do they say buoyancy?

In Western Australia, we pronounce the place names "Albany" & "Derby" as they are written.
In other words the "Al" as in "pal" & the "Der" as in "germ" or "term".

People from the "Eastern States" pronounce them as "Orlbany" & "Darby", causing WA folk to "grit their teeth!(just one of the many things about them that do!) ;D

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #841 on: May 30, 2021, 07:10:38 am »
In Western Australia
Oh yeah, West Australia.  ;D

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #842 on: May 30, 2021, 07:55:15 am »
Not Hervey Bay, in QLD.

iratus parum formica

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #843 on: May 30, 2021, 08:11:58 am »
Not Hervey Bay, in QLD.
Don't you pronounce it "Harvey"?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:13:32 am by vk6zgo »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #844 on: May 30, 2021, 08:58:47 am »
Not Hervey Bay, in QLD.

Yep. I wonder if the local Harvey Norman is pronounced Hervey Nurmon.
iratus parum formica

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #845 on: May 30, 2021, 02:53:04 pm »
Not Hervey Bay, in QLD.

Yep. I wonder if the local Harvey Norman is pronounced Hervey Nurmon.
It only works one way round, as far as I can tell.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2021, 06:28:11 pm »
Subscription blackmail.

Just doing stuff on my PC and message pops up: both Windows and Bitdefender firewalls are stopped. WTF?!?! A quick check shows Bitdefender completely disabled and I am already sorting out my last backup when I notice the reason it's stopped: my subscription has expired.

There is no warning that the subscription is going to expire (perhaps a week in advance or something), they just cut you off. And then provide a link to subscription renewal so you can be safe again, but it's auto-renew and costs twice as much as from a more sensible source. They are relying on the panic effect to have you renew without the chance to consider whether the competition might be nice to try this time. And, of course, leaving your PC wide open whilst this is going on - if you happen to be in the middle of surfing the intertubes, tough shit. Even worse if you happen not to be watching at the time and miss the message, then go off surfing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2021, 06:39:58 pm »
IMHO Bitdefender is kind of scammy to begin with, I don't use anything like that. Windows firewall is free and doesn't expire, use an updated browser, install ad blocking and script blocking and don't visit sketchy sites. No need to pay for a 3rd party firewall.

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #848 on: May 31, 2021, 06:55:03 pm »
Windows firewall is free and doesn't expire

And is pants. Often comes well down below most other stuff in real tests. Probably isn't updated for W7 anyways.

Edit: another reason not to use it is because it's not a core product. Just like DNS and DHCP on routers, it is there as a tickbox exercise. OTOH, the likes of Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Comodo exist because of the product they are selling.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:57:18 pm by dunkemhigh »

Online Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #849 on: June 01, 2021, 03:41:30 am »
When I was a program manager at Microsoft it used to send me spare that devs would include an error code in some action, often getting written to the system logs, and then would never actually document what the hell the error code meant.

Every time I'd find one of these I'd log a bug against it and then do battle with the dev managers who wanted to keep working on new features rather than making stuff easier to diagnose. I worked on Visual Studio and not Windows which I suspect, given their inability to set ACLs on com objects correctly would have been a much harder task.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf