Fastest single-core computer on the planet ? check.
Fastest as in clockspeed? -> Intel Ultra 9, comparing clockspeed is worthless in terms of comparing system performance.
Fastest compute for a CPU with only one core? -> Likely Pentium 4, maybe an old AMD or some exotic CPU for whatever supercomputer, anyhow it is going to be Y2k technology that is not really relevant today.
Fastest compute on a multi-core CPU but with only one core active? AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2, btw, this would be a very wasteful use case these days.
Fastest single thread? Likely the M3 ultra 32 with a very specific memory config. Again, why on earth would you buy such a chip to run only a single thread.
If you don't understand that single-threaded compute is just as important as multi-threaded compute, I'm not sure there's even any point in discussion. Lots of tasks are irreducably serial in nature and cannot be composed into a parallel load. Conceptually, something as simple as:
void traverse_list(struct Node* head) {
struct Node* current = head;
int total = 0;
while (current != NULL) {
total += current->data;
current = current->next; // Strict loop-carried dependency
}
printf("Total: %d\n", total);
}
... linked-list traversal will run on a single thread until completion, in general any loop where the result is dependent on the previous state is not something a compiler can parallelise. Oh, and it'd be the M6, not the M3 that's the fastest on the planet. The M6 is about 50% faster than the M3.
Largest memory of any desktop computer on the planet ? check.
A Dell Precision 7960 can hold 4TB of DDR5 ECC RAM. Other brands have similar offerings. Is there an Apple computer that comes close? Upgradable?
That's not a desktop, dude, that's a floor-standing full-tower. The studio *is* a desktop, *is* quiet even under load so you don't need headphones on to use it (50dB!), and *is* about 1/15 the size of that behemoth.
Most profitable computer-company on the planet ? check.
I would not compare compute performance based on financial numbers of the company?
If you do, at least compare apples with apples, (oops...
yeah that one was an easy one ). Extract the numbers of the computer hardware department and compare it to HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc...
My point there is not to do with performance, it's to do with popularity. When a company is the largest computer company on the planet, they're doing something right. Apple extract revenue from computer users for more than just hardware sales, just like others (including dell, hp). Just using computers and computer-related income (no ipads, phones, tv, headphones, watches etc) the breakdown looks something like
Apple: 143 Billion
Dell: 92 Billion
HP: 55 Billion
Apple is pretty much both of the other two put together.
The best hardware on any portable computer on the planet ? check.
Very subjective subject.
Ok, show me a portable that has comparable computing power and battery life, that is as light, and that has hardware you actually want to use (eg: a touchpad that ... works in the corner)
40,000 employees all inter-linked with Mac computers ("connecting very occasionally" my hairy backside...) ? check.
How and to do what? I'm not curious about physical connection but about how this is managed and what trade-offs / compromises were made to get it working? For example, if that organization is running 'only Macs', well.... you're missing out on a couple things, at least that. Everyone is free to do how they prefer it.
Apple run their entire business off Apple computers - everyone from a secretary through engineers, legal, finance, execs has an Apple mac, generally a portable, even if its permanently docked. Engineers get the bigger toys to play with.
Let's see, if I wanted to arrange a meeting, I'd use Apple Directory, which shows me rooms (and their convenience features), people, manages the overlapping schedules pulled from people's Calendar, I can search, click on a name, launch video-chat directly, or group-chat. It shows me a map of the building and the optimal route to get there, rendered in 3D if necessary. It can transfer that route to my phone, and update it as I go even if just walking around Apple Park, or Infinite loop.
Documents are universally PDF, which is built-in to the OS for both editing and viewing, Apple Mail handles all internal email, and slack.apple.com is for IM. Shared storage is available via my dept. group and externally via (IIRC) Dropbox, I can put files into my Public folder and send people a link, they can read the file but not see the directory contents, I have CI processes for my code, all integrated into slack and email, both phone and desktop. I could just go on and on here. Literally everything from expenses to company-issued device-management has an application.
What's missing ? Nothing. Nothing is missing.
The computer line that still holds its value after years of operation on the second-hand market? check.
True, that said, it is again very much 'marketing' related. For those users the perceived performance on the personal image is more important than the effective compute performance.
You seem to have this mental image of a Mac user that it's all about image. I don't know anyone like that, I've only read about these mythical people in PC-focused computer magazines and websites. I know that the most popular computer at Google (softeware engineers, designers, managers) is a MacBook Pro. I know that the most popular computer in college education (ie: when you first *choose* your own computer) is a Macbook (of some type, chosen by the vast majority of humanities, business, communications, pre-med, computer science, film/video production, engineering, and architecture majors). I know that Apple run one of the largest companies on the planet exclusively on Macs. These people choose (generally a macbook/pro) because its simply the best option, even if more expensive than the cheaper chromebook/PC.
A Mac Studio runs flat out all day, as it must given its graphics-intensive uses in film production, 3D animation, and game development not to mention local AI.
Since the late '80 the graphics people have been 'worked to love the Macs'. And that is fine. I'm not saying that it is not working, I'm saying it is not an objective choice. Price / performance is plain bad. There are real use examples with QWEN3.8B27 on the Mac studio M5 Ultra (30 to 45 tk/s depending on context size) compared to a RTX5090 (98 to 156 tk/ same workload as on the Mac). That is 3x slower for 3x as much money. This rate cannot be justified.
See above. Price is indeed not wonderful. Performance is though. About the only place where I'd voluntarily choose a PC these days is for games, and honestly I don't see that lasting much longer. The Apple GPUs will start to become "easily good enough" over the next few years - the one in my M4 Max is currently "easily good enough" and that's only about 2x that of the base M6 mini.
As for that RTX5090 (which is £5600 on its own at Overclockers UK and need a reasonably beefy machine to make it useful, so you're into Studio territory), it's pretty useless for larger models, no ? I tend to use Claude so I don't care these days, but I didn't find QWEN3.8B27 to be much use personally. What actually might be useful for the sort of coding I want LLM's for is Llama 4 Maverick (400B) or DeepSeek-R1 (671B), using 4-bit or 3-bit quantised weights. I could fit those into a 512GB Studio, on my desk (probably hiding behind the 4K monitor) and maybe even get useful results out of it. I'm not sure it's worth an £18k gamble though, so I'll stick with Claude until RAM prices recover in a half-decade or so, then maybe look at an M8 studio with 1TB of RAM.