As regards the level of stupidity, willful ignorance is way worse than stupidity.
Having followed this thread and others for some time, I don't think there is ignorance nor stupidity at play. What we're observing is a the manifestation of a narcissistic personality disorder ("Grandiose Narcissism").
It's my view that Chet doesn't believe half (if any) of what he comes out with. What he's looking for is engagement with his need to create conflict and then revel in the attention it gives him.
The repeated themes in his posts ('free from scientific dogma', 'originality over prior art/knowledge', his own unique perspectives and ability to understand) these aren't from ignorance. They're carefully tuned dog-whistles, crafted to induce the desired Pavlovian response within groups of scientists and engineers. And as he gets the rise that he wants every time, so he continues.
I'm therefore divided on the value of these types of threads. On the one hand, I salute the patience, tenacity and knowledge of people like Paul, Xena and Steve for providing a (chiefly) factual rebuttal to all of his nonsense, so that others might learn something and be instructed on the real art of debate, and the nature of scientific method and proof. I find their discussion of the actual physics and electronics that results both interesting and informative.
On the other, I think it's now past the time when Chet and those like him get de-platformed here. That is to say, it's time to stop feeding an obvious Troll. There's diminishing educational benefit to others in continuing this line of conversation.