Have you heard of the expression "plan to please"? It means planning the project and estimating completion in 15 months. And then the customer says, "That's no good, I must have it in a year!" And then what happens? You squeeze up the tasks until your Gantt chart just fits into 12 months. Customer is pleased. Usually this is under pressure from your own boss, who is more interested in corporate politics.
My point is pretty much every timeline estimate is subject to pressures from various sources before it ever sees the light of day. I guess that might not make them lies, exactly, but they aren't really honest.
Yep, I agree, but there's no law requiring honesty, honesty doesnt exist in business.
- The whole advertising industry exists to be dishonest about a product to make it seem better than it actually is. eg, the photos on food packaging is dishonest, in never looks that good.
- Companies don't tell their customers what their profit will be on a purchase, or what their BOM cost is.
It's simply what is legal, or more precisely, what laws does the company actually have to obey due to the benefit to consequences ratio.
Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be this way, but it is.
So any anger should be directed at the system, or at lack of investigation and enforcement and inefficient or non-existent laws. Rather than being at a specific high profile company doing what the entire industry does.
I see it as a form of discrimination, eg "We don't like how the system works but we cant do anything about it so we are going to focus the anger on one well known company and all the things they do that we don't like about the system they operate in"
Don't get me wrong, Elon has definitely said stuff that crossed the line.
(Disclaimer: I do not hold any Tesla shares and never have, I have RocketLab and Firefly, but I probably would by Tesla if it dropped a lot.)