Author Topic: Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?  (Read 1504 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MarkSTopic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 881
  • Country: us
Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?
« on: March 28, 2025, 03:37:09 pm »
Stupid question, I know, but the programmers I'm finding are around $300 USD and that's outside my budget. I know that most programmable chips are typically programmed at 12+ volts, but with proper level translation, could this be done with an Arduino Mega? How would I do this? Google isn't very helpful.
 

Offline darkspr1te

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 520
  • Country: zm
Re: Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2025, 03:44:51 pm »
It would help if you are more specific e.g CPLD brand/type ,
I dont personally know of CPLD's at 12v, PIC micro's yes but i dont get to play with all the toys.
As far as a cpld programmer goes for ALL my devices i uses a busblaster jtag programmer , around $20 in all the usual places.

 
The following users thanked this post: MarkS

Offline MarkSTopic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 881
  • Country: us
Re: Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2025, 03:52:04 pm »
The one I'm planning on using, and the one that I've written the CUPL file for, is the Atmel ATF750LVC. I have the compiled JEDEC file for it. Atmel's datasheet is abismal! Any more sparse and it would just contain the cover sheet.
 

Offline MarkSTopic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 881
  • Country: us
Re: Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2025, 07:26:12 pm »
Nevermind. I'm making this far more difficult than I need to. I don't need the 750 chip. The 22V10 chip will work just fine and I can get a T48 programmer for $80 off of Amazon and even cheaper from AliExpress.
 

Offline PCB.Wiz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3351
  • Country: au
Re: Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2025, 03:48:47 am »
The T56 claims to support ATF750 and ATF2500 so you could consider that ? ( & likely the T76)
Their PLD vector testing is still a ‘work in progress’ when I least checked.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2025, 03:52:19 am by PCB.Wiz »
 

Offline MarkSTopic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 881
  • Country: us
Re: Is a DIY CPLD programmer possible? How would I do it?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2025, 12:05:16 pm »
The T56 claims to support ATF750 and ATF2500 so you could consider that ? ( & likely the T76)
Their PLD vector testing is still a ‘work in progress’ when I least checked.

Those are the programmers I was referring to that start at $300. Truly, there is no good reason for me to go to the 750 over a 16vxx or 22v10. The logic that I need is for a simple VGA circuit. All it will do is take the outputs from the row counters and output H_BLANK, H_SYNC and a couple of other signals. The compiled code takes up a tiny fraction of the 22V10. I wanted to use the 750 because it's newer, but that is just silly, especially when I can buy a over a hundred thousand 22v10's right now on Digikey.

Anyway, I have already ordered the T48 off of AliExpress.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2025, 12:54:25 pm by MarkS »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->