Hey everyone,
I wanted to share vhdl.ai, a web-based VHDL simulator and learning platform I’ve been building.
The core feature (VHDLive) now runs real GHDL simulation directly in the browser using a custom WebAssembly port I’ve been working on. You can write VHDL, compile it, run the simulation, and view waveforms — all client-side with no server round-trips for the actual simulation.
You can try it here:
→
https://vhdl.ai→
https://vhdl.ai/vhdlive(check out the examples folder at the bottom right)
I’ve already successfully simulated some fairly serious designs in the browser, including:
A 16-bit mini-RISC CPU with GPIO, RAM, ROM, and a full testbench
The complete NEORV32 RISC-V SoC (a real 32-bit dual-core capable RISC-V processor + peripherals with over 23,000 lines of VHDL) - set stop time to 160us
The WebAssembly backend work is open source here:
→
https://github.com/UnsignedChad/ghdl-wasmIt’s still early / in beta, but it’s already quite usable for learning and testing small-to-medium designs. My goal is to make VHDL prototyping as frictionless as possible (no heavy toolchains, no licensing, instant feedback).
Would appreciate any feedback from the community:
How does the experience compare to your usual workflow?
What features are missing that would make this actually valuable to you?
Happy to answer questions.
Twitter or X.com - @unsignedbytes