Author Topic: Is it now worth trying Windows 11?  (Read 18774 times)

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Re: Is it now worth trying Windows 11?
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2023, 10:41:58 pm »
I can see your point james_s, for just about everything except the browser and internet facing parts of an OS.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2023, 12:06:07 am »
I do keep my browser up to date, other than that I've never spent much time worrying about it, and the only infections I've ever had to deal with involved somebody installing something that came bundled with crapware. Or Microsoft's own "Get Windows 10" campaign, which was indistinguishable from malware.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2023, 07:47:04 pm »
My "line in the sand" stays the same: Once i am forced to create a Microsoft Account to use Windows, I'm out.
They're darned near that today with new machines. My wife needed a new laptop so we picked up a nice Acer at Costco (they double the warranty and have a bombproof return policy). It has Win11 on it, and it's impossible to get it started without 1) a wireless network connection, and 2) an existing or newly created Microsoft Account.

Hating the latter as much as you apparently do, I used bogus credentials to get past those steps. I've now discovered that this locks you out of certain user authentication details once the machine is running... they simply will NOT expose certain user properties (example: your own username!) unless you first log in to your Microsoft Account. The machine is functional for now but I bet someday we'll run into some setting that is "protected" and at that point Costco's return policy may become very useful indeed.

Here's a question relating to #1 above: What if you are intentionally trying to create an airgapped, standalone machine? One that has never, and will never, be connected to the Internet? I can imagine quite a few scenarios where that would be true, many of them in industrial control situations where the machine is literally acting like an embedded controller and has no use for an external connection ever. Have such applications and users just been utterly abandoned?

This is an awful way to run a product and a company. If I thought about it for a while I suspect there's a way to invoke antitrust or another legal remedy, likely based on "market saturation" etc. I normally shun using government power to address problems but I'd make an exception here. This is bad business practice, unethical, and borderline immoral. We need to make an example of Microsoft so other industries - like automobiles and their "heated seat subscriptions" - are terrified to even look in the same direction.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2023, 08:08:29 pm »
Before retirement, I was involved in installations for imaging containers and trucks at customs stations here and abroad.
Naturally, the customer demanded that the imaging system computers be isolated from the public network.
(I don't remember precisely, but I think the last one I worked on used Windows XP.)

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2023, 08:16:22 pm »
Exactly. Are such people now forced to use custom embedded systems? Auduino stealing market share from Microsoft?

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2023, 09:08:10 pm »
My "line in the sand" stays the same: Once i am forced to create a Microsoft Account to use Windows, I'm out.
They're darned near that today with new machines. My wife needed a new laptop so we picked up a nice Acer at Costco (they double the warranty and have a bombproof return policy). It has Win11 on it, and it's impossible to get it started without 1) a wireless network connection, and 2) an existing or newly created Microsoft Account.

Hating the latter as much as you apparently do, I used bogus credentials to get past those steps. I've now discovered that this locks you out of certain user authentication details once the machine is running... they simply will NOT expose certain user properties (example: your own username!) unless you first log in to your Microsoft Account. The machine is functional for now but I bet someday we'll run into some setting that is "protected" and at that point Costco's return policy may become very useful indeed.

Here's a question relating to #1 above: What if you are intentionally trying to create an airgapped, standalone machine? One that has never, and will never, be connected to the Internet? I can imagine quite a few scenarios where that would be true, many of them in industrial control situations where the machine is literally acting like an embedded controller and has no use for an external connection ever. Have such applications and users just been utterly abandoned?

Simply search for "microsoft account windows 11 skip". And Bob's your....
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2023, 09:21:53 pm »
That's an extremely popular topic on Google.

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2023, 09:38:22 pm »
I guess the best way to skip it would be the very first time you boot, go in to BIOS/UEFI, turn off the secureboot cr*p, and install a Linux distro from USB media.

Inevitably by murphy's law, there's almost certainly specific software you need that hasn't a Linux version available and where the Windows version won't run under Wine, but there's always virtual machines for that.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2023, 03:03:49 pm »
you have tools and know how  to do that    just do google fuu ...

and for win 11 usabiliy   you have some startallisback  or others 3rd party  with very low costs purchase to help you a bit in that @@$2 of win 11

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »
you have tools and know how  to do that    just do google fuu ...

and for win 11 usabiliy   you have some startallisback  or others 3rd party  with very low costs purchase to help you a bit in that @@$2 of win 11
That reminds me...
I need to evaluate the stability of these third party tools like Startallisback to be able to use it at work. I have heard several reports of instability and crashing explorer.exe.
I guess i really need to upgrade to 11 then  :--
At least Enterprise will not force a Microsoft Account.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2023, 08:00:06 pm »
Does anyone know whether Altium Designer runs with Wine?

Edit: Well, I tried, and it does not. It crashes. ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 09:10:33 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2023, 10:52:08 pm »
Does anyone know whether Altium Designer runs with Wine?

Edit: Well, I tried, and it does not. It crashes. ;D

Which Library (is crashing), do you know?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 04:00:21 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline Bryn

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2023, 08:46:58 pm »
I've only ever tried out Windows 11 with this online simulator, but I would not be confident on actually using the real thing, just based on the negativity I've been hearing about Windows 10 in the past (and with Win11 being just as bad as it, like forced updates).

I'm still happy with Windows 7 though.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2023, 07:31:09 am »
I wouldn't. From what little experience I've had with it, it's like Windows 10 only worse, and 10 is already virtually unusable.

Windows 12 is due in 2024.
I try not to upgrade straight away until some of the bugs are out.

Offline Fredderic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2023, 05:36:52 am »
Windows 12 is due in 2024.

So we should all upgrade to Win11 in December, so we can ignore Win12 until Win13 comes out.  Or Win12b because some people still don't like 13's, or Win24 (or 28, or whatever it'll be) to just skip the whole 13 issue Samsung-style.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:48:49 am by Fredderic »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2023, 06:40:58 am »
I have 'upgraded' one out of my 4 boxes to Windoze11 as a test subject and apart from trying to do way more than I ask and force/intrude Microsnot products as 'solutions' into my use of it it works as well or as badly as W10 so  :-// I really see zero advantage to it in daily use.

As all my gear is now 11 compliant and the software I need suits I am still likely to move them all to 11 late in the year and repeat the same late adopter process with the next one.

I do also have a dedicated Linux box and am playing with a stash of SBC's so in spite of my former heresy against the distro mess I am not hating it either as an experience.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline fluxcapacity

« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2023, 07:15:58 pm »
I definitely have been enjoying some of the little things in windows 11, like, the photo viewer works a little better for resizing images.

Overall, 11 is fine, but, I didn't mind 10 either.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2023, 03:07:23 pm »
You won't be missed! (W11 chief officer)
He did what it did, maybe following higher staff directions, or he was simply terrible at it.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/18/23878609/microsoft-windows-panos-panay-leaving
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:12:06 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2023, 12:41:58 am »
I definitely have been enjoying some of the little things in windows 11, like, the photo viewer works a little better for resizing images.

Overall, 11 is fine, but, I didn't mind 10 either.

Much better at EVERYTHING is https://www.irfanview.com/ you can run batch resizing and it is still a nice simple GUI to use.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2023, 03:52:38 am »
You won't be missed! (W11 chief officer)

FTFY. ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf