Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2808017 times)

Kim Christensen, shapirus, Supercharged, coromonadalix and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6250 on: May 03, 2018, 08:09:49 pm »
I've ruined a couple of pairs of standard cutters by cutting hard wire and I seriously doubt the accuracy of the hardness ratings of those. These new ones are not exactly bullet-proof either, carbide is easily chipped through misuse. I was impressed by their proper box-joint design but less than happy about the finish on the ground edges, they do work though. I had contemplated returning them but I guess I'll live with it. There isn't a huge choice and I wasn't impressed by the many 'dental' carbide cutters on the market.

In this case I can not blame Engineer for a poor tool. I was being really stupid // careless while working on my Rhodes piano. I had to cut one winding off of a tuning spring (that slips onto the tines) and just grabbed the next tool at hand.
Maybe I can regrind it since "only" the front part got molested.
At 18 - 30 € it is not the most expensive tool ever, but I really liked it and replacement orders take quite some time since all sellers seem to ship directly from Japan. I have some of their tools and would recommend each of them any time!
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #6251 on: May 03, 2018, 08:52:44 pm »
Received today 4 GPIB IEEE 488 Bus cables.
2x 0,5m for EUR 8,-/piece
2x 1,0m for 12,-/piece

Compared to other offers on ebay I consider this as a bargain.  :)

0,5m:

1,0m:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #6252 on: May 03, 2018, 09:01:13 pm »

[/quote]

I've ruined a couple of pairs of standard cutters by cutting hard wire and I seriously doubt the accuracy of the hardness ratings of those. These new ones are not exactly bullet-proof either, carbide is easily chipped through misuse. I was impressed by their proper box-joint design but less than happy about the finish on the ground edges, they do work though. I had contemplated returning them but I guess I'll live with it. There isn't a huge choice and I wasn't impressed by the many 'dental' carbide cutters on the market.
[/quote]

This one I picked up is for orthodontists to cut tungsten wires. Has resisted very well over the years.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6253 on: May 04, 2018, 04:05:39 am »
Some power resistors and a new pair of side cutters (hard blades - tungsten carbide).

I disapprove of this message, as it's going to cost me money.
You might want to take a look at Schmitz's offerings for tungsten carbide cutters. They're aimed at electronics use, and are even offering free shipping in the EU now.  :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Mr. Scram

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #6254 on: May 04, 2018, 04:23:20 am »
Dropped a couple of hundred $$ and made an approximately 7 hour round trip up to New Hamster to get a bunch of boatanchors from a ham who was looking to make some space.  Among the haul are a couple of signal generators, two 8443A tracking generator/counters and a 5245L mainframe (my DVM plug in will have a permanent home).  There are a few assorted manuals, too; didn't look to see exactly what for though.

I have an 'over the shoulder' pic, but everything is still in the Jeep as it started pouring when I got home, and though it has since stopped I don't feel like going outside and schlepping everything in now that it's after midnight.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #6255 on: May 04, 2018, 05:06:42 am »
You might want to take a look at Schmitz's offerings for tungsten carbide cutters. They're aimed at electronics use, and are even offering free shipping in the EU now.  :)

I have this one and I can really recommend it.
Not the cheapest, though.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:09:19 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #6256 on: May 04, 2018, 05:11:55 am »
[...]
 schlepping everything in now that it's after midnight.

schlepping in?   ;D  :-+

And another word which finds it's way from German into English.  ^-^

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #6257 on: May 04, 2018, 05:24:16 am »
[...]
 schlepping everything in now that it's after midnight.

schlepping in?   ;D  :-+

And another word which finds it's way from German into English.  ^-^

Ja!   ;D

-Pat

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6258 on: May 04, 2018, 05:42:53 am »
Well, if one must schlep, at least you've got some nice stuff to be schlepping. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #6259 on: May 04, 2018, 06:46:12 am »
Well, if one must schlep, at least you've got some nice stuff to be schlepping. :-+

Heavy stuff.  Good exercise.   :-+

Will drag it in by light of day and get a pic.

-Pat

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6260 on: May 04, 2018, 07:07:30 am »

Damm you, instant want.

Offline qu1ck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6261 on: May 04, 2018, 07:08:51 am »
Scored this bad boy on fleabay today for $240 + ~$10 gas money to pick it up.

Does not seem too much out of spec, but I don't have anything accurate to test it with. Waiting for ad588 based voltage reference in the mail.

I will look for a good set of leads for it.

Also while the screen is bright enough there seems to be an issue with the driver leaking current into some segments, you can see random dots and 4w symbol appear in the photo when they shouldn't. Mine is I think the old version with 34401-66502 front panel.
Anyone knows where I can get a replacement? If only new version of front panel is obtainable, are there instructions on how to update firmware (if that is even an option)?
Nothing is true (as far as measurements go)
and everything is permitted (as long as you are ok with magic smoke escaping)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6262 on: May 04, 2018, 07:35:31 am »
I bought an Agilent 8110A some days ago:

(Photo linked from ebay)

It's my second 8110A. My first (a HP 8110A) one came so badly beaten up through transport that I got full refund for it.
According to the description it's fully functional -meaning that it's not really a bargain using it for parts..  :palm:
Actually I just need the front panel with the display to fully repair my unit. Or in other combinations: making one good out of two.

This one has also chips on the front and dents in the metal parts but the mounting points of the front panel are all intact and the display seems to be much better than the one of my HP 8110A.  :-+

The display is bright and doesn't show much burn-in wear-out:

(Photo linked from ebay)

The chips might be repairable with some heat and glue.
I hope, I'll receive this one mechanically undamaged.   :scared:

May sell the second unit after repairing the first one to reduce over-all cost for this repair...
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6263 on: May 04, 2018, 07:56:55 am »
Dropped a couple of hundred $$ and made an approximately 7 hour round trip up to New Hamster to get a bunch of boatanchors from a ham who was looking to make some space.  Among the haul are a couple of signal generators, two 8443A tracking generator/counters and a 5245L mainframe (my DVM plug in will have a permanent home).  There are a few assorted manuals, too; didn't look to see exactly what for though.

I have an 'over the shoulder' pic, but everything is still in the Jeep as it started pouring when I got home, and though it has since stopped I don't feel like going outside and schlepping everything in now that it's after midnight.

-Pat
Nice haul

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6264 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:38 am »
New main board off ebay for my Wanhao Duplicator 4S 3D-printer. I was replacing one of the internal fans a few days ago because it had gone noisy and noticed the power socket (top-right) had burned up - lucky find because I had no idea! I'm guessing the plug/socket went high resistance and heated up. Also, the USB port has died for some reason, whether related I have no idea. The USB port is not essential because I mostly print from SD card but it's nice to have to monitor progress on the PC. I'll see if the old board is repairable when I take it out.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6265 on: May 04, 2018, 11:25:41 am »

You just cost me 75 Euros...  :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6266 on: May 04, 2018, 12:09:50 pm »
2x 10k Log Pot's, 2x 10k Reverse Log Pot's and a knob

Random story.

I accidentally installed a log pot backwards in a headphone amp.  In the next revision I put it the right way around.

You know I think I prefered it reversed.  It meant it got loud quickly and gave you much finer grain control over how "too loud" it got :)
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6267 on: May 04, 2018, 03:06:07 pm »

You just cost me 75 Euros...  :)
Still cheaper than the CK Tools branded version @ 78.99GBP on Farnell though (T3787DF 115).  >:D

And even more so than a pair of Erem 576TX *.

* FWIW, I picked up a used pair of these in good functional shape for ~$15 shipped (cosmetics were fixed with a bit of steel wool).  :o My oval pair is a Swanstrom M509 I snagged for ~$10 shipped IIRC. Only took like 5 years to find at what I paid of course.  :-DD

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6268 on: May 04, 2018, 03:10:53 pm »
A brand-spanking new  Array 3721A.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6269 on: May 04, 2018, 03:12:06 pm »
A brand-spanking new  Array 3721A.

Very nice! :)

I like the input arrangement, I had to modify my Maynuo to add 4mm banana sockets.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:15:09 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #6270 on: May 04, 2018, 03:19:31 pm »
Illegal tax free cigarette carton !!!!!
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6271 on: May 04, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
I like the input arrangement, I had to modify my Maynuo to add 4mm banana sockets.
The banana sockets on the 3721A are for voltage sensing. I think the input for the load itself is the same on the Maynuo. Or does that lack the holes?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6272 on: May 04, 2018, 03:37:31 pm »
The banana sockets on the 3721A are for voltage sensing. I think the input for the load itself is the same on the Maynuo. Or does that lack the holes?

Correct - no holes! Needed to add a couple of adapters made from 3mm copper.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6273 on: May 04, 2018, 04:39:20 pm »
 :-+ Ex-Sony 0wned 2465B turned up today. I will have a look inside before firing up, particularly at A5 and A2/A3, as per regulations.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6274 on: May 04, 2018, 05:14:25 pm »
Got some chunky heat sinks today and ordered COB LEDs (Nichia NFCWL060B-V2 COB-LED 5000K, R95 and Nichia NTCWS024B-V2 COB-LED 5000K, R95) together with some mounting clamps and reflectors to get the replacement lamp for my VE TS-4 going.

Left to right: ø50 mm x 50 mm, ø 60.6 mm x 50 mm, 51 mm x 51 mm x 37.5 mm, ø70mm x 50 mm.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf