Author Topic: Siglent SVA1015X and SVA1032X 1.5, 3.2GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzers  (Read 200583 times)

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
indeed - changing a value of the user cal does the trick. Even with firmware 3.2.2.5.0.r8
Saving works perfectly - don't forget after loading the previously saved cal data to set all the details (start,stop & points)  and to enable it in the enhanced response menu ("appy calibration").

After a cold boot, the previously used calibration can be activated again like above described for "regular" saved calibration data with out specifying a saved file. Just activation (incl setting the boundaries) in the enhanced response menu is enough.

Now for the first time I have my open & short on spot left and right in the smith chart (r+jx) !!

cheers!

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
indeed - changing a value of the user cal does the trick. Even with firmware 3.2.2.5.0.r8

Hi, you mention 3.2.2.5.0.r8.
I have installed last month the official 3.2.2.5.0 upgrade on siglenteu.com, but I don't see r8 written anywhere, including the revision history and the system page of the analyzer...
Where does it come from?

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
Hi,
actually I did the update via the "unsafe" way of an online update. In fact I wasn't aware of the risks so far.

best regards & 73

Juergen

The following users thanked this post: RoV

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
Another short question. As I put my DIY GPSDO with OCXO (I love acronyms) circuit board into live today.
When comparing the warm Siglent SSA/SVA 1032x + with the homebrew GPSDO & very old DIY DCF 77 controlled oscillators with 10Mhz output, I see that the Siglent is of +2.15 hz - not a big deal, but ....  :)
Anybody else checked the Offset of the internal 10 Mhz ? How to enter the offset permanentely other than every time after a cold boot under Frequency/ Freq Offset ?

thanks & best regards,

Juergen

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Another short question. As I put my DIY GPSDO with OCXO (I love acronyms) circuit board into live today.
When comparing the warm Siglent SSA/SVA 1032x + with the homebrew GPSDO & very old DIY DCF 77 controlled oscillators with 10Mhz output, I see that the Siglent is of +2.15 hz - not a big deal, but ....  :)
Anybody else checked the Offset of the internal 10 Mhz ? How to enter the offset permanentely other than every time after a cold boot under Frequency/ Freq Offset ?

thanks & best regards,

Juergen
You don't.
That's what the 10 MHz In BNC connector on the rear is for.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: DL4JY

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
My self-made GPSDO with distribution amplifier feeds my SDG2042, my HP 53131a counter and now my SSA/SVA.
The reference clock will be detected automatically. It’s a pity that the SDS2000 doesn‘t have a reference clock input.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:06:52 pm by Bad_Driver »

Online uouox

lol  spend whole afternoon to upgrade the SSA to SVA.

During the research, I found if I made the SSA3000XP enter the pro mode without cross-flashing, it still shows the VNA mode. Does that means cross-flashing is optional?

And what is the "CAT"  option?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:11:15 am by uouox »

Offline cutuk

Hi everyone. Sorry if there is this information somewhere within the topic, I was not able to find it. I'm considering buying SVA1032x for LNA design. The amplifiers will be high gain and low power so I need to have control over TG power in VNA mode. I figured out that this option was enabled with the firmware update 05/2020, but I was not able to find the specs on how much TG can be attenuated. Can somebody make a check?

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
Hi everyone. Sorry if there is this information somewhere within the topic, I was not able to find it. I'm considering buying SVA1032x for LNA design. The amplifiers will be high gain and low power so I need to have control over TG power in VNA mode. I figured out that this option was enabled with the firmware update 05/2020, but I was not able to find the specs on how much TG can be attenuated. Can somebody make a check?

The VNA output can be set in the range -20 to 0 dBm at 1 dB steps and defaults to -5 dBm. If you put an additional attenuator on the reflection port and try to calibrate with -20 dBm power, you obtain a very noisy calibration of little use. One reason is the IF bandwidth fixed at 10 kHz: there is a setting, but it's still grayed with 12/2021 update 3.2.2.5, I hope they will implement it in the future. Another reason is the not exceptional dynamic range, that I think is due to the resistive bridge design (not coupler-based).

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
Hi,
I am thinking about assumed low sensitivity of resistive bridges compared to couplers.
To my understanding has a pure resistive bridge with 50 Ohm resistors (one is the device under test) a nominal attenuation of 12dB. With the benefit of a high bandwidth and a low cut-off frequency. Couplers would start at higher frequencies and have at least a sensitivity in the same region. Do I miss there something?

I believe, too - (as mentioned) - a reduced bandwidth (RBW) would increase the usable measuring range (dynamic) . The minimum RBW for the SA with Tracking generator is 30hz, probably for ensuring that the SA-Receiver Frequency is matching the SA Transmitter (Tracking generator) & the sweeping speed is not to low. That would result in 25dB more dynamic range.

Maybe somebody at Siglent could take this topic and check if it would be feasible for implementation in an upcoming firmware release.

Regards,

Juergen

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 02:54:34 pm by DL4JY »

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Online antenna

• Frequent Contributor
I encountered my first serious issue with my SVA1032x. I am not sure if I had too many calibrations saved, but for whatever reason, none of my calibrations were working and a few times the unit would power up and the spectrum analyzer had no reading. It wasn't until I did a factory reset that it started working properly again.  I usually unplug it every time I am done with it because our power company has had numerous power surges.  I hope I don't have issues when the memory battery goes dead...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
I encountered my first serious issue with my SVA1032x. I am not sure if I had too many calibrations saved, but for whatever reason, none of my calibrations were working and a few times the unit would power up and the spectrum analyzer had no reading. It wasn't until I did a factory reset that it started working properly again.  I usually unplug it every time I am done with it because our power company has had numerous power surges.  I hope I don't have issues when the memory battery goes dead...
Did Factory Reset retain your Cal files ? IIRC they should still be in the internal memory.
Can you still load them ?

And FW version please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KenGaler

• Contributor
    • Innovative Electronics LLC
Hi all,

I'm considering a SVA1032X but I'd like to get an impedance vs freq plot log/log similar to the example below.  Is that possible with this?  Is it available with other instruments?

Tx
Ken

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Hi all,

I'm considering a SVA1032X but I'd like to get an impedance vs freq plot log/log similar to the example below.  Is that possible with this?  Is it available with other instruments?

Tx
Ken
Certainly and you can also activate a total of 4 traces showing Log Mag, SWR, Smith and Phase.
Have a study here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/what-really-is-this-antenna/
Some further stuff here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/antenna-project-log/

With recent FW the max points has been increased to 10001 from 751. Default is still 201.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
I'm considering a SVA1032X but I'd like to get an impedance vs freq plot log/log similar to the example below.  Is that possible with this?

Well, not straight out of the box: I have just double-checked, but in mine (fw 3.2.2.5.0) there isn't a resistance plot; besides, frequency scale is only linear.
You should select Smith display with subselection R+jX, then export as CSV. You will obtain a file like the following, where only a few lines are shown, total 751 frequencies in this case. You can then import the file in a spreadsheet and plot R (second column) vs f as you like.
I also see that in your example the measurement range is in the milliohms: it seems a plot of series resonance of a ceramic capacitor. This is not feasible with a decent accuracy with a straight one-port measurement. It could be reasonably possible with an S21 measurement on a special fixture holding the component (on a proper position, shunting to GND) and some post-processing of the results; but I'm not sure about the achievable accuracy with this instrument. Full 2-port measurements may be required to get the best results.

------ CSV file contents -------
Machine Module,SVA1032X,3.2.2.5.0
Trace Name,Trace A
Meas Type,S11
Start Frequency,+1.000000000E+05
Stop Frequency,+3.200000000E+09
Format,Smith,R+jX
IFBW,1.000000e+04

Trace Data
Frequency,Formatted Data
100000,4.388203e+04,-2.646447e+04,6.013910e-11,F
4366533,-1.244164e+04,-1.547329e+04,2.355595e-12,F
8633067,-3.109562e+04,2.779939e+04,5.124958e-04,H
12899600,-3.304935e+04,-1.335759e+04,9.236679e-13,F
17166133,-2.496478e+04,3.627134e+04,3.362879e-04,H
21432667,-2.895819e+04,-5.372869e+03,1.382094e-12,F
3195733467,-1.602877e+01,2.305700e+02,1.148292e-08,H
3200000000,-1.525902e+01,2.305483e+02,1.146653e-08,H

Offline KenGaler

• Contributor
    • Innovative Electronics LLC
Yes, that's correct.  A S21 test of components and hopefully the PDN down to 1mOhm. 

Ken

Online antenna

• Frequent Contributor
Did Factory Reset retain your Cal files ? IIRC they should still be in the internal memory.

And FW version please.
Now I am second guessing myself. I cannot remember if I hit "Factory Reset" or "Reset & Clear".  Whatever I hit cleared all of my saved calibrations. I had dozens for various cables, connectors and frequency spans. All gone.   I will have to periodically save them to USB as I create them.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

And FW version please.
Now I am second guessing myself. I cannot remember if I hit "Factory Reset" or "Reset & Clear".  Whatever I hit cleared all of my saved calibrations. I had dozens for various cables, connectors and frequency spans. All gone.   I will have to periodically save them to USB as I create them.
Yes I had that problem with saved Cals too after upgrading FW versions and I see you are still on V4.0.
V5.0 is available here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=30

Check the release notes for the list of things changed/improved:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: antenna

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I'm considering getting an SSA30xxX Plus to hack to an SVA. Are the SSA 3015X+ and SSA3021X+ the same HW, do they both hack to an SVA3032? Where is the dividing line in the HW?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Hi,

I'm considering getting an SSA30xxX Plus to hack to an SVA. Are the SSA 3015X+ and SSA3021X+ the same HW, do they both hack to an SVA3032? Where is the dividing line in the HW?

The 3015 will only be a SVA1015. The 3021 will get you a SVA1032. That's the line.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
So the 3015 is it's own thing, but I think there is another line then that is above the 3032. But I think those are out of reach for me, sounds like the 3021 is my starting point.

Thanks!

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
So the 3015 is it's own thing, but I think there is another line then that is above the 3032.

Well, SSA3032X-R can go to 7.5GHz...  See the mistake here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 09:58:56 pm by tv84 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
So the 3015 is it's own thing, but I think there is another line then that is above the 3032. But I think those are out of reach for me, sounds like the 3021 is my starting point.
It is.
Careful study of the SSA3kX+ and SVA1kX datasheets reveals which models might share the same HW.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nike75

• Contributor

Like a @RoV say, first export smith chart to csv. Import to excel and in new columns you can calculate impedance and phase.
For first data row:
impedance: =SQRT(B14*B14+C14*C14)
phase: =ATAN(C14/B14)*180/PI()

Next you can create good charts with XY scatter type (logaritm is supported)

If you plan logarithmic scale, set VNA to log scale before exporting - this will give you more detail at the begining of band.

I hope that in near future this math can be implemented into device and we can plot impedance graph directly.

Offline regenfreak

• Contributor
Hi
    I have purchased a SVA1015X from the Telonic in the UK.  I must say I am extremely unlucky.  The first unit had both dead TG and VNA right out of the box. I sent it back to Telonic. However the engineer at Telonic checked it, both TG and VNA are working again but I refused to take it back. This morning I received the replacement unit, I had got a frozen black screen when I first powered it up. The unit was not responding to any touch of the buttons (preset, display, ESC etc) or touchscreen. The TG and mode buttons were both lit up. In addition, the green LED light of the LAN port lit up even I didn't connect it to any LAN cable. I turned it on and off two times, the unit starts working again. I captured the malfunction event with video recording and sent it to Telonic. Both VNA and TG are working now. From the system log, it shows "SIG_NOT_STB"

According to Siglent user manual  (25) SIG_NOT_STB= "Signal is not stable enough to track". Also it states in the user manual "(1) Check whether the fan is running while the screen is dark, maybe the LCD cable is loose?"
 Well it does not make any sense to me. Initially I thought it might have a loose ribbon cable connected to the LCD screen due to shocks during transportation. But those ribbon cable has a mini lock and should not come loose easily due to vibration. (The parcel driver handled the box very roughly and punched a hole on the top of the box. Siglent should ship their products with double-boxes like Rigol.)

I have spoken to Telonic engineer, he said he will contact Siglent about the issue. I have been told to monitor the unit in case it happens again. I wonder anyone here had encountered a similar experience? For my peace of mind, I will have 3 years warranty. But two problematic units in a row, what bad patch is this? |O |O

In addition, I found the calibration menu a bit confusing. It only has Open, Short and Response with Load option missing. The only way to calibrate it with 50 ohm load is to go to 1-port Cal which is designed for reflection S11. So if I want to do S21 calibration, I can miss the calibration with 50 ohm completely. I have owned the NanoVNA V2, NanVNA V2 plus 4 and NanoVNA F. I found it quite odd with the omission of "load" in the top level calibration menu. Any idea why?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf