Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489598 times)

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #2150 on: January 01, 2022, 11:04:52 am »
The current definition at least allows setting of the voltage and current, and gives readings for both as well as power, so it is pretty useful as it is, but I agree that the ability to turn the output on and off etc is important.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2151 on: January 01, 2022, 04:03:29 pm »
The current definition at least allows setting of the voltage and current, and gives readings for both as well as power, so it is pretty useful as it is, but I agree that the ability to turn the output on and off etc is important.

You are aware that you can use the command line to test commands?
Anything you type on the command line that do not start with ; # or = will be transmitted to the selected device, that makes it fairly easy to test different SCPI commands.

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2152 on: January 01, 2022, 05:47:03 pm »
Do we have a scripting command to hide a column in the Table page during the acquisiton  (i'm not speaking about the #exportcolumn during the export)  ? 

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2153 on: January 01, 2022, 06:05:23 pm »
Do we have a scripting command to hide a column in the Table page during the acquisiton  (i'm not speaking about the #exportcolumn during the export)  ?

No, I do generally not see a problem with collecting extra data columns. The program is designed to handle a fairly high number of columns.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2154 on: January 01, 2022, 06:49:07 pm »
Yes I tried using the command line to send raw commands to try and determine the commands, from those I know the ones in the user manual don’t work, as well as dozens of variations that I tried.

The user manual is actually wrong for some of the other commands, which I figured out by trial and error.

I will try and get wireshark on the PC today and see if that yields any clues to how the official software does it.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline palmerr23

• Contributor
« Reply #2155 on: January 02, 2022, 02:45:38 am »
Thanks

It seems that the globalvar's name and the Name used in the Math tab (attached) need to be the same for the value to update in the Current values tab.

Even after moving the declaration to the top, the value didn't become available until I made the names the same.

Now everything works!

Code: [Select]
=globalvar sVal=0
#log 2
=sVal=0.01
#while (sVal<3.5)
#echo (sVal)
#hasLogged
=sVal=(sVal*1.1)
#endwhile

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2156 on: January 02, 2022, 03:36:15 am »
After a few hours of frustration and instal, uninstall, reinstall I managed to get wireshark to run on the PC, see the network and not crash... I hate PC's.

Attached are screen photos showing the differences between what TC sends from my Mac and when the official "EasyPower" software is sending, interestingly EasyPower is using port 9009, and if I tried using that in TC it could not connect to the device. EasyPower is probably using some other backend (not just sending SCPI) as the software is used to update firmware on the power supply etc too.

There are two shots from the PC, one is using its SCPI command line option, one is from the GUI doing the same thing, the Mac one is from the command line (it is exactly the same from the GUI).

You may notice that there is the short form and long form of the command on the PC version, the long form OUTPUT is sent from the EasyPower software GUI, the short from was me from the command line, BOTH work.

The commands being passed by either the Mac TC or PC EP are the same... so I am none the wiser to why it doesn't work, aside from the EasyPower software having a different backend running.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 04:15:05 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2157 on: January 03, 2022, 10:28:52 am »
After a few hours of frustration and instal, uninstall, reinstall I managed to get wireshark to run on the PC, see the network and not crash... I hate PC's.

One idea to try is using:
#port 5024
or
#port LXI

If both works you can also use
#port 5024 LXI

The above is not supposed to change anything, at least if Siglent has done a good SCPI implementation.

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Offline pizzigri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2158 on: January 03, 2022, 10:19:29 pm »
Hi,
I saw that the Agilent/Keysight 34410A is not supported, is there a way to add it to the list of supported devices?
It is a LXI device, but I do not have it in a network... it is only connected with a USB to my workshop PC, that is a Win10 machine.
How can I connect it? I do already have it working with Agilent DMM application.
BTW, I installed the program and it seems to work - but no joy in connecting said 34410.

Best,
Franco

Offline palmerr23

• Contributor
« Reply #2159 on: January 04, 2022, 03:53:17 am »
Owon B series multimeters are difficult to connect to TestController as there are several "features" that are uncommon.

Dean Cording explains these at https://github.com/DeanCording/owonb35.

I've created an ESP-32 dongle and a device file for Owon B series multimeters (all variants of the B31, B35 and B41). The code for the dongle and a TestController definition file for the B41T+ in my github repo. https://github.com/palmerr23/Owon_B41T

It should work with the main functions on the B31 and B35 series as well.

I wouldn't recommend adding the definitions file to a TC release, as it is useless without the dongle.

I hope someone else finds this solution useful.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2160 on: January 04, 2022, 08:01:59 am »
I saw that the Agilent/Keysight 34410A is not supported, is there a way to add it to the list of supported devices?
It is a LXI device, but I do not have it in a network... it is only connected with a USB to my workshop PC, that is a Win10 machine.
How can I connect it? I do already have it working with Agilent DMM application.
BTW, I installed the program and it seems to work - but no joy in connecting said 34410.

TC needs a (virtual) serial connection or a network connection to work, the meter probably do not provide a serial connection on the USB, i.e. you have to use network.
To make a definition it is probably easiest to copy the "Keysight344xxA.txt" file and modify it (It is a fairly complicated definition, because it supports nearly all functions in the newer DMM's).

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2161 on: January 04, 2022, 02:36:21 pm »
I've created an ESP-32 dongle and a device file for Owon B series multimeters (all variants of the B31, B35 and B41). The code for the dongle and a TestController definition file for the B41T+ in my github repo. https://github.com/palmerr23/Owon_B41T

I will add a link to your github on the supported equipment page.

Offline Karlis

« Reply #2162 on: January 04, 2022, 08:14:27 pm »

There are also more values where 1000 must be replaced with 100.
Done in the attached RD60xx.txt file.
Only tested with RD6012, the only one I have. Firmware is the latest version from Unisoft, which is great.

Two problems I've seen and I don't know how to solve.
1. in RD6012 popup, tab settings, the Buzzer function was inverted, corrected that, but to select On I have to click Off and vv.
2. in the tab Memory M4 is selected by default and selecting another, (M0 to M9), always returns to M4
Making settings to M4 works OK, but only M4 is selectable. Don't know how to solve.

BTW. Making settings from Testcontroller is not the main function, logging (core business) works fine.

I am a bit worried about if 6006 and 6012 uses the same factors, can anybody with a 6006 confirm that this file works correctly (The original Riden file must be replaced to test it).

I have 6018 and 6006P, I started to modify original definition. With 6006P we need other factors for voltage too.
Currently my job takes over my free time, but I hope in next week I will have more time.

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2163 on: January 04, 2022, 09:19:24 pm »

Thanks

It seems that the globalvar's name and the Name used in the Math tab (attached) need to be the same for the value to update in the Current values tab.

Even after moving the declaration to the top, the value didn't become available until I made the names the same.

Now everything works!

;initialisation math calculation
=globalvar effi=0
#math Efficiency % FormulaNU 0 effi
#TRIG
#log 0.1
#WHILE
=effi=formatDouble(100*readPower(load)/(readVoltage(ps)*readCurrent(ps)),1,3,0,3);
#ENDWHILE

-> effi is updated in "realtime". I don't catch your remark

Offline palmerr23

• Contributor
« Reply #2164 on: January 04, 2022, 09:28:06 pm »
Thanks for the request for further explanation of my post.

Now everything works!

=globalvar sVal=0
#log 2
=sVal=0.01
#while (sVal<3.5)
#echo (sVal)
#hasLogged
=sVal=(sVal*1.1)
#endwhile

I was trying to log the variable - have it auto update in the Table tab as well as using it live.

It appears that this only works if the script variable and the Name of the Math variable are the same (see the attachment to the original post). When the Math variable was Named sValx, its value didn't update in Current Values or the logging Table. When I changed it to sVal (same as the script variable) it did.

I'm new to TC, so am unsure whether this is how it works, but thought it worth recording if someone else had the same issue.

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2165 on: January 04, 2022, 10:21:00 pm »
I'm a noob too  :)
In my example the math.Efficiency variable which is using the glabal varaible "effi" is well updated in real time in the "current values" page. In fact i well understood what you said and it seems that your issue is not coming from not reusing teh same name for the declaration
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:23:14 pm by trp806mo »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2166 on: January 05, 2022, 06:32:29 am »
I have 6018 and 6006P, I started to modify original definition. With 6006P we need other factors for voltage too.
Currently my job takes over my free time, but I hope in next week I will have more time.

That sounds good, I hope you do it the with text replacement like the "CurrentScaleFactor"

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2167 on: January 05, 2022, 06:36:24 am »

The only way TC can know what value to use is if the variable names match.
It is also important to use "FormulaNU" as the Type or the result will be changed when TestController recalculates the math columns (This happens when a formula is modified or a csv file is loaded).

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2168 on: January 05, 2022, 06:40:38 am »
;initialisation math calculation
=globalvar effi=0
#math Efficiency % FormulaNU 0 effi
#TRIG
#log 0.1
#WHILE
=effi=formatDouble(100*readPower(load)/(readVoltage(ps)*readCurrent(ps)),1,3,0,3);
#ENDWHILE

-> effi is updated in "realtime". I don't catch your remark

While this works, it is not the best way to do it. It is much better to the all the math on a math channel.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2169 on: January 05, 2022, 08:31:25 am »
One idea to try is using:
#port 5024
or
#port LXI

If both works you can also use
#port 5024 LXI

The above is not supposed to change anything, at least if Siglent has done a good SCPI implementation.

Unfortunately trying to use LXI or port 5024 didn't connect to the unit at all... I guess someone else is going to have to figure this out at some point in the future, I can't.
Cheers Scott

Offline Karlis

« Reply #2170 on: January 05, 2022, 06:17:20 pm »

That sounds good, I hope you do it the with text replacement like the "CurrentScaleFactor"

Yes, I do it with text replacement.

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2171 on: January 05, 2022, 10:11:52 pm »
I'm trying to import multiples .csv file directly into the table page under Test Controller or by scripting but i wasn't able to achieve one of them. I'm doing something wrong or I don't understand the process.

My csv are based on this kind of body :
First file
"SDL1020XE.CurrentSet","SDL1020XE.Current","QL355.VoltageSet","QL355.Voltage","Eff Vin=12.0v"
Second file
"SDL1020XE.CurrentSet","SDL1020XE.Current","QL355.VoltageSet","QL355.Voltage","Eff Vin=10.0v"

Under Test Controlller, all seems to be fine but when i click on the import button, nothing happens (picture below) and I respect the condition concerning the incrementation of the column for the column reference.

For scripting, i have those lines :
#CLEARTABLE
#loadtable temp9_0
#IMPORTTABLE temp12_0 SDL1020XE.Current  SDL1020XE.Current  Eff Vin=12.0v

and this result :
; #IMPORTTABLE temp12_0 SDL1020XE.Current  SDL1020XE.Current  Eff Vin=12.0v failed due to / by zero

Any idea ?
* ab.png (79.98 kB. 1917x1478 - viewed 72 times.)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2172 on: January 06, 2022, 09:47:34 am »
I'm trying to import multiples .csv file directly into the table page under Test Controller or by scripting but i wasn't able to achieve one of them. I'm doing something wrong or I don't understand the process.

The problem is the reference column, it is used to synchronize the imported data with the already loaded data. It will often be time and usually has to match the x-axis on the chart.

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2173 on: January 06, 2022, 10:49:20 pm »
I played with the import function again folowing your answer  and i notice (i guess) that my issue is more related to the number of raw within the file loaded/imported into the table. It doesn't have matter with the number of column nor the synchronization with the index or time.

I attached two files for test if you want to fix it (but in my use case I fix it by forcing a minimum of steps). It's only when I click the import button that nothing happens. I can load a file correctly  but not import it.

I have an other question, as we are able with the mouse under the table page to move to a specific line (min/max/..), do you have some dedicated math function available by scripting as finding automatically the  minimum or maximum of a raw/column in the chart or table page ?

* temp9_0_five raw.txtto be renamed in .csv
 * temp9_0_four_ raw.txtto be renamed in .csv

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:24:22 pm by trp806mo »

Offline 5q5r

• Contributor
« Reply #2174 on: January 07, 2022, 08:52:44 am »
These may already have been answered previously, but I was unable to find the information on either the webpage nor in this monster thread ;-)

What is the license for the software?

Is the source code available?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf