Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489391 times)

GingGangGooly, HKJ and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Josec

• Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #3150 on: October 09, 2023, 10:48:05 pm »
May be testcontroller should issue ++loc via a  disconnect button in "Load devices; Disconnect"? in similar fashion to disconnect and remove an external USB device in the computer before remove.
I think disconnect shouldn't be part of the definition.
By the way I have the Fluke 8845A working with socket, and getting close to have the GPIB working too. Thank for all the help I received.
Jose

Online Rax

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3151 on: October 10, 2023, 03:32:19 am »
Having  embarked on another push to connect my instruments with a computer, and at the recommendation of an old member here, I'm trying to see if I can connect my 34401A via RS232 to my Win11 laptop.

After some good time spent on the website, I almost accidentally found the download link (shouldn't it be right on top of a page, namely where installation instructions are?...), and have started tinkering with it.

This must've been covered before, but how do I find out what the "address" should be for the HP?... I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

Offline alligatorblues

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3152 on: October 10, 2023, 03:38:05 am »
I just thought I'd interject that MS Excel can do all the logging, formatting and charting. It also has a nice set of statistical, algebraic and arithematical capabilities.

The following users thanked this post: robint

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3153 on: October 10, 2023, 06:30:47 am »
This must've been covered before, but how do I find out what the "address" should be for the HP?... I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

With serial devices you use the com port as address.

Online Rax

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3154 on: October 10, 2023, 12:42:05 pm »
With serial devices you use the com port as address.
True, but I had no clear indication which one (of like five) is being used. This until I figured to watch them in Device Manager while connecting the meter via USB. When it also became evident it was easier to identify it than I thought, as "COM7" - the culprit - also had "USB" attached to it...
I was able to connect to it last night, and collected some readings, remote controlled the meter also a bit. Very cool, beginning to be a happy camper!

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3155 on: October 11, 2023, 03:19:09 pm »
Can these commands only be used with the ASCII driver, or is something broken? I was testing with a AR488.

These command are only supported by the ASCII driver, I will look at adding them SCPIx.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3156 on: October 11, 2023, 03:20:48 pm »
I think disconnect shouldn't be part of the definition.

I disagree, when I close TC I want the device to be accessible locally without needing some special key sequence.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3157 on: October 11, 2023, 03:22:25 pm »
This must've been covered before, but how do I find out what the "address" should be for the HP?... I'd really appreciate some guidance.

With serial devices you can right click with the mouse when editing the address field and all defined serial ports will be listed. Depending on the actual serial port more information may also be listed.

The following users thanked this post: Rax

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3158 on: October 11, 2023, 03:54:19 pm »
Hi HKJ,

These command are only supported by the ASCII driver, I will look at adding them SCPIx.

It would be very nice to have these GPIB controll commands in the SCPIx driver.  The very popular Agilent/HP 34401A is an example that needs them....
So please do!

With serial devices you can right click with the mouse when editing the address field and all defined serial ports will be listed. Depending on the actual serial port more information may also be listed.

Thank you for this bit of very useful information! I tried it immediately, and it works like a charm... Not longer needed to look in device manager :).
I checked, and indeed you documented this in the TestController documentation. So I need to study your documentation even more :).

Regards, Gertjan.

Offline DrSteve

« Reply #3159 on: October 11, 2023, 06:15:23 pm »
Hi,

I have just started trying this software and I am mostly looking at using existing AimTTi power supplies and loads. I have managed to adapt the QPX1200P to use with a QPX600DP, and after a few tweaks, it appears to be working (for now).

I am not having as much luck with the AimTTi LD400P. I have the very basics, but it isn't pretty. Has anyone used that kit with this software?
The biggest issue is that I can do a parameter sweep on the QPX600DP output voltage, but if I try to configure the LD400P for a sweep, the "idle" box is red no matter what value I enter.
Is there something I need to put in the device file for the LD400P to get it to accept an "idle" value?

Thanks

Steve

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3160 on: October 11, 2023, 06:56:32 pm »
I have just started trying this software and I am mostly looking at using existing AimTTi power supplies and loads. I have managed to adapt the QPX1200P to use with a QPX600DP, and after a few tweaks, it appears to be working (for now).

Please post it when you have tested it, then I can include it in TC.

I am not having as much luck with the AimTTi LD400P. I have the very basics, but it isn't pretty. Has anyone used that kit with this software?
The biggest issue is that I can do a parameter sweep on the QPX600DP output voltage, but if I try to configure the LD400P for a sweep, the "idle" box is red no matter what value I enter.
Is there something I need to put in the device file for the LD400P to get it to accept an "idle" value?

When making new device files it is a good idea to use debug mode (Use the debug batch file to start TC), that way you can see the communication.

Generally it is important that TC reads all output from the device, if you only send a command and do not read the answer it may interfere with the next command. Because TC use multiple thread to communicate with a device it is basically guaranteed to interfere in some situations. 

Offline adso85swe

• Contributor
« Reply #3161 on: October 28, 2023, 10:12:04 am »
I have played around with the software a bit, but not enough to know all the functions yet. For all you experienced users, or for the developer, does the following functionality exist or not:

Lets say that I would like to do a continuous logging for a long time, let’s say one year. Is it possible for the software to automatically do backup saves of the log file to the disc with a predefined interval, let’s say every day or every week? This would be very useful in case you want to secure the data in case of computer malfunctions.

Moreover, a nice tweak to this would be to log and being able to automatically save the log after a predefined interval, let’s say after a week, and then immediately start another fresh log automatically with the same settings, and have it saved after another week again, and continue like that. In this way the data would be saved in chunks of weekly basis instead of having a continuously growing file size over the full year. It would be nice to be able to save the files with the starting date, or with a running number, eg w01, w02, w03, and so on.

If these possibilities does not exist, it would definitely be on my wish list.

The following users thanked this post: robint

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3162 on: October 28, 2023, 11:16:39 am »
Lets say that I would like to do a continuous logging for a long time, let’s say one year. Is it possible for the software to automatically do backup saves of the log file to the disc with a predefined interval, let’s say every day or every week? This would be very useful in case you want to secure the data in case of computer malfunctions.

In the advanced log you can select logging direct to disk, this will directly log all samples to disk. The in-memory samples will at the start be all samples, but at some time it will switch to every other samples (Reducing all sampled data). TC will continue to record even more sparse in-memory log to avoid running out of memory.

Moreover, a nice tweak to this would be to log and being able to automatically save the log after a predefined interval, let’s say after a week, and then immediately start another fresh log automatically with the same settings, and have it saved after another week again, and continue like that. In this way the data would be saved in chunks of weekly basis instead of having a continuously growing file size over the full year. It would be nice to be able to save the files with the starting date, or with a running number, eg w01, w02, w03, and so on.

TC do not have that function, but it can easily be done with scripting in TC, including naming the files with a sequence number or a date.
This example will save every 10 seconds and then restart the log:

#while 1
#log 1
#delay 10
#log 0
#savetable ("c:\\data\\log"+date())
#endwhile

Place it in the "log" window and press "Run", it will log from all connected devices

If you want to format the date different check here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerFunctions%20UK.html#Date_&_time_functions

To save with a running number use this:

=var n=1;
#while 1
#log 1
#delay 10
#log 0
#savetable ("c:\\data\\log"+n)
=n=n+1
#endwhile

To format with leading zeros use (https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerFunctions%20UK.html#formatInt):
#savetable ("c:\\data\\log"+formatInt(n,2,2))

To get help for the different commands type them in the command line and help will be show in the help window below it. With the #log command you need to type a space after it.

The following users thanked this post: adso85swe

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3163 on: October 28, 2023, 11:41:48 am »
A note about big data samples.

The largest sample I have is 5.5 million data points with 3 devices, it takes some time to load (about 10 seconds on my machine), there is no degeneration on the chart due to the data size.
If the amount of data slows down TC or it needs to be reduces for other programs, use the export function, it has a couple of different data reduction functions that can be applied:

See more here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerPopupExport%20UK.html

Export uses same CSV or TAB formats as normal save, but can change date formats (Needed for Excel) and limit digits on number formats. It can also exclude some columns and change column names.

Offline robint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3164 on: October 28, 2023, 02:37:28 pm »
I just thought I'd interject that MS Excel can do all the logging, formatting and charting. It also has a nice set of statistical, algebraic and arithematical capabilities.

Indeed, but it cant do this live, you have to load a datalog from a usb or some other data file.  If only it would take data live through usb or socket

Anyone know?
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the Lithium world

Offline Gulftown

• Contributor
« Reply #3165 on: October 28, 2023, 05:16:41 pm »
Hi,

First of all, i really like Test Controller, because it offers a very nice and easy to use interface for quick measurements and parameter sweeps.
So thanks for the hard work you all put into the software.

I am trying to write a definition for my Voltcraft VC870.
Because the original cable was a HID cable and did not work with test controller (using the brymen example), i quickly hacked a esp8266 based serial to wifi bridge for it.

The VC870 sends 23byte of ascii coded data every 500ms in this format:

https://asset.conrad.com/media10/add/160267/c1/-/en/000124603IN01/informacije-124603-rocni-multimeter-digitalni-voltcraft-vc870-kalibracija-narejena-po-delovnih-standardih-cat-iii-1000-v-cat-iv-600-v-s.pdf

So i used the AsciiBlock driver to read data from it, and it is working fine.
Code: [Select]
#metadef

#meta

#idString Voltcraft, VC870,
#name Voltcraft VC870
#handle VC870
#driver AsciiBlock
#port 23
#readingDelay 5

#rxStart
#rxLength 23
#rxEnd \r\n
#rxFormat ([0-9]{1})([0-9]{1})([0-9]{1})([0-9]{5})([0-9]{5})([0-9]{1})([0-9]{1})([0-9]{1})([0-9]{1})([0-9]{1})

#askValues Values?

#askValuesMathFormat makeDouble(getElement(value, 3),0,3)
#value Voltage V D1

I get the display reading and the bytes for the mode (byte 0 and 1) and range (byte 2), but can't figure out, how to parse the mode and range and add them to the value.
I cant find anything for it in the documentation and in any of the existing device definitions.
I think i need some kind of table to translate the bytes into multiplication values, and to strings.

Does someone have an idea?

I also adde the device definition to this message.

Thank You!

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3166 on: October 28, 2023, 05:37:36 pm »
Because the original cable was a HID cable and did not work with test controller (using the brymen example), i quickly hacked a esp8266 based serial to wifi bridge for it.

When everything works I would like to add it to my projects page: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserProjects1%20UK.html

It is not the best driver for it. Try https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_DMM_protocol
It may be a bit more complicated to get into, but it is designed to handle DMM's and their quirks, only issue is that it only support the readout of one value.
My general opinion on dual display DMM's is that they are great, but for logging I prefer only to use one value, this gets the fastest logging speed. I you need to log two values, use two DMM's.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3167 on: October 28, 2023, 05:46:01 pm »

Indeed, but it cant do this live, you have to load a datalog from a usb or some other data file.  If only it would take data live through usb or socket

Anyone know?

I have seen some options/software to log directly into excel for a few devices. Generally I do not see it as very useful, Excel may be able to do a lot, but it is NOT designed to handle logging of data.
I do prefer specialized logging software and generally me own, the predecessor to TestController has worked for more than 10 years and MANY hours of logging on a lot of different devices (All my testing on my website is done with it), but I wanted something with a GUI and easier to use, the result was TestController.
I have tried both Keysight and Keithley software, they are very advanced, can do a lot (But not always what I need), requires a good Windows computer, licensing and only work with one brand of devices.

Offline Gulftown

• Contributor
« Reply #3168 on: October 30, 2023, 08:16:37 am »

When everything works I would like to add it to my projects page: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserProjects1%20UK.html

It is not the best driver for it. Try https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_DMM_protocol
It may be a bit more complicated to get into, but it is designed to handle DMM's and their quirks, only issue is that it only support the readout of one value.
My general opinion on dual display DMM's is that they are great, but for logging I prefer only to use one value, this gets the fastest logging speed. I you need to log two values, use two DMM's.

Hi,
thanks for the fast reply.
Does DMM2 support TCP communication?
Because when i change the driver to DMM2 i lose all debug information.
The only thing written in the debug window is:
Starting
;; jSerialComm version: 2.10.3

Thats why i used AsciiBlock in the first place.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3169 on: October 31, 2023, 01:58:15 pm »

thanks for the fast reply.
Does DMM2 support TCP communication?
Because when i change the driver to DMM2 i lose all debug information.
The only thing written in the debug window is:
Starting
;; jSerialComm version: 2.10.3

Thats why i used AsciiBlock in the first place.

DMM2 do not support socket, but I will look at adding it.

In the meantime you can reprogram your micro for serial interface and work on the definition.

Offline Gulftown

• Contributor
« Reply #3170 on: November 01, 2023, 11:42:30 pm »
Thank You.
I am really looking forward to use the VC870 via TCP directly in Test Controller.

Following your suggestion i tried com0com and com0tcp to emulate a com port and tunnel the TCP data into it.
It's actually working quite well.

I finished the definition for the VC870 and tested it as good as i can with my equipment.
I'm fairly confident, that the scales are correct for all the modes except for °C and %, which i can not test.

By the way, i also added my Rigol MSO5104 to the Keysight DSOX.txt file.
#metadef
#idstring RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,MSO5104
#name Rigol MSO5104
#replaceText MaxCH 4
#replaceText MaxBW 350M
#replaceText MaxSample 8..0G
#replaceText :MEAS:VAV? :MEAS:VAVG?
#sections QuadMode QuadSetup QuadInterface ReadStandard

The only difference was the VAV / VAVG command.
This should also work for the whole Rigol MSOXXXX line of products.

Is it possible to grab a complete waveform from the Scope by any chance?

Greetings.

Offline Gertjan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3171 on: November 02, 2023, 08:53:02 am »
Hi HKJ,

I wrote a definition for the Fluke 8840A Digital Multimeter.

IMG 1825  Fluke 8840A front-2000pix.jpg

These still popular meters have been produced for 20 years, starting around 1985.

Early versions of the 8840A did not have a GPIB command for identification. So, to be compatible with these early 8840As, by default this definition does not verify the model number.
But for later versions (ca post 1990) one can enable model identification by removing the semicolon at the start of this line: "; #verifyDevice "8840A" model?".

As usual, more info in the header of the definition. Detailed info on all the different GPIB board versions in this post: Fluke 8840A/AF GPIB board.

A screenshot of the menus:

Fluke 8840A screenshot-1000pix.png

The menu structure is inspired on HP 34401A menu by WA
I added the “Display mode: Normal / Blank” Menu item because the manual states that readings in the fast mode are more accurate with the display blanked.
Trigger mode and display mode options are explained in pop-up tips.

Beside the menus the screenshot is showing the frequency response of the 8840A.  3dB down at 450kHz is not bad for a meter designed in the mid-eighties!
The rest of the 8840A is very solid too: The reference is the famous SZA263 (also used in the Fluke 732A and early 732B Volt standards). There are very nice laser etched precision resistors on ceramic too. These meters are very stable. My meter is still in spec after a last cal in 1997...

The same frequency response in the standard format for your Multimeter frequency response web page:

Fluke 8840A freq-800x400pix.png

As usual, you are welcome to use my pictures for your website.

Please find the definition file here: Fluke8840A.zip

Best regards, Gertjan.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3172 on: November 05, 2023, 08:11:33 am »
By the way, i also added my Rigol MSO5104 to the Keysight DSOX.txt file.

This will be included in the next release.

Is it possible to grab a complete waveform from the Scope by any chance?

Not while logging, but you can download data from a device.
You can see some examples on it in the Keysight handheld DMM definitions, there it is used to fetch log data. On a few devices TC can also download the screen.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3173 on: November 05, 2023, 08:26:17 am »
I wrote a definition for the Fluke 8840A Digital Multimeter.

This will be included in the next release.

The same frequency response in the standard format for your Multimeter frequency response web page:

I have already included it on the page.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3174 on: November 05, 2023, 01:12:07 pm »
I'm fairly confident, that the scales are correct for all the modes except for °C and %, which i can not test.

If you short the input a meter will usually show ambient temperature, you can use that for testing °C

I have written a bit about multimeters and thermocouples here: https://lygte-info.dk/info/DMMThermocouplers%20UK.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf