Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489499 times)

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #3200 on: November 15, 2023, 02:34:19 pm »
But I want to ask for the help with adding to Test Controller support for Tenma 72-7715 dual channel thermometer.
First I want to know if it is even possible to add support for this thermometer.
I can use soldering iron with both hands and even legs, but have no idea about how communication protocols and similar stuff works.
So if anyone can help with this I would be very grateful.

TestController can work with serial and network connections. If the Tenma uses a virtual serial port it is possible to include it (But many newer devices use USB HID and TC do not support that).

Update on Tenma 72-7715.
This Tenma device is the same device as UNI-T UT325, just rebranded.
For communication with PC it uses "WCH CH9325" USB interface chip, which is UART - USB HID bidirectional converter.

Link to the description of communication protocol of UNI-T UT325/Tenma 72-7715:    https://sigrok.org/wiki/UNI-T_UT325      https://sigrok.org/wiki/WCH_CH9325#Protocol

This is how it appears in "Devices and Printers":

Please let me know if it is possible or not possible to connect this device to TC.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 01:59:31 am by Gediminas »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3201 on: November 16, 2023, 12:43:27 pm »
For communication with PC it uses "WCH CH9325" USB interface chip, which is UART - USB HID bidirectional converter.
Please let me know if it is possible or not possible to connect this device to TC.

It cannot be connected with that chip, the data before that chip is standard serial data. This means you can buy a TTL-serial to USB cable and solder it on to the input of the chip and get serial data that TC can handle.

For temperature measurement there is also a couple of simple DIY projects:
A DS1820 example: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino2%20UK.html#DS1820_temperature_device
A DHT22 (Temp+humidity) example: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino2%20UK.html#DHT22/AM2302_temperature_and_humidity_device

User projects:
https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserProjects1%20UK.html

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3202 on: November 16, 2023, 02:36:20 pm »

It cannot be connected with that chip, the data before that chip is standard serial data. This means you can buy a TTL-serial to USB cable and solder it on to the input of the chip and get serial data that TC can handle.

Thank you for the answer.
I still would like to connect Tenma with thermocouples.
You mean cable like this: https://www.elextra.dk/da-DK/p/H45438?utm_source=GoogleAds&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmNeqBhD4ARIsADsYfTf0jr8N7nDCWD04vZST6gKz1QTX5yax7coI7ZEuXYDEHOmy3KRoV2UaAgUjEALw_wcB
If it is correct cable, I just can go to the shop and pick it up, they have two of them in stock at CPH shop.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 02:43:23 pm by Gediminas »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3203 on: November 16, 2023, 05:27:32 pm »
Thank you for the answer.
I still would like to connect Tenma with thermocouples.
You mean cable like this: https://www.elextra.dk/da-DK/p/H45438?utm_source=GoogleAds&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmNeqBhD4ARIsADsYfTf0jr8N7nDCWD04vZST6gKz1QTX5yax7coI7ZEuXYDEHOmy3KRoV2UaAgUjEALw_wcB
If it is correct cable, I just can go to the shop and pick it up, they have two of them in stock at CPH shop.

Yes, but you have to check if it is 5V or 3.3V for both cable and device.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3204 on: November 16, 2023, 08:57:40 pm »
Yes, but you have to check if it is 5V or 3.3V for both cable and device.

It is 5v both.
I bought an adapter cable and connected it to the PC, in the Device Manager section "Ports (COM & LPT)" driver created this text: "this is not prolific pl2303 contact supplier".
Turns out it is fake Chinese chip and the driver recognize that. After some searching I found old driver version from 2015 which works, (this driver people are using on Windows 11, because this USB serial converter chip PL2303TA with designation "TA" is not supported on Win 11 by manufacturer, but it works on Win 11 with this driver and it don't have the function to check if chip is not original), now in the Device Manager section "Ports (COM & LPT)" I see this:

Now I have no idea if it is working??? I pressed "SEND" button on Tenma thermometer and with the oscilloscope I can see that Tenma is sending data to the USB Serial adapter, but I have no idea if adapter is sending dada to the PC.
It is any way to check that?

----------------------------------------------

Update:
I think I got serial adapter working, it was some problems with the logic levels, I took apart adapter and desolder pull up resistor from RX input, now levels are ok.

About the functionality:
All functions, like start transmitting data and which data to transmit I can set on the thermometer itself, so thermometer not even need to receive any data (only commands it can receive is to start/stop transmitting).
What is needed is to somehow make TC to receive transmitted temperature values and correctly interpreter them.

Thermometer software recognize when thermometer is sending T1 temperature (probe 1 or channel 1), T2 temperature (probe 2 or channel 2), T1 minus T2 and Hi/Lo limits set on the devise for T1 and T2.
But thermometer can send only one temperature at the time, only T1 or T2 or T1 - T2.
So the thermometer is sending temperature values and designation of what channel it is T1, T2, or T1 - T2, plus Lo/Hi limit signals when in T1 or T2 mode (it also sending thermocouple type and probably the time H:M, which is counting at incorrect speed, but that is completely unimportant).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 04:50:05 am by Gediminas »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3205 on: November 17, 2023, 08:03:50 am »
Update:
I think I got serial adapter working, it was some problems with the logic levels, I took apart adapter and desolder pull up resistor from RX input, now levels are ok.

About the functionality:
All functions, like start transmitting data and which data to transmit I can set on the thermometer itself, so thermometer not even need to receive any data (only commands it can receive is to start/stop transmitting).
What is needed is to somehow make TC to receive transmitted temperature values and correctly interpreter them.

Thermometer software recognize when thermometer is sending T1 temperature (probe 1 or channel 1), T2 temperature (probe 2 or channel 2), T1 minus T2 and Hi/Lo limits set on the devise for T1 and T2.
But thermometer can send only one temperature at the time, only T1 or T2 or T1 - T2.
So the thermometer is sending temperature values and designation of what channel it is T1, T2, or T1 - T2, plus Lo/Hi limit signals when in T1 or T2 mode (it also sending thermocouple type and probably the time H:M, which is counting at incorrect speed, but that is completely unimportant).

What you need is a terminal program that can show hex codes.
I usually use Termite for that: https://www.compuphase.com/software_termite.htm

You can probably use N81 is format, but will have to guess the correct baudrate.

The idea is to write down (Or copy to notepad) the message and write what the display shows beside it. It is important to have samples with a couple of different temperatures including negative.
Then see if you can figure out the meaning of the different hex codes, or you can post it here and somebody may help your with it.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3206 on: November 17, 2023, 02:35:48 pm »
What you need is a terminal program that can show hex codes.
I usually use Termite for that: https://www.compuphase.com/software_termite.htm

You can probably use N81 is format, but will have to guess the correct baudrate.

The idea is to write down (Or copy to notepad) the message and write what the display shows beside it. It is important to have samples with a couple of different temperatures including negative.
Then see if you can figure out the meaning of the different hex codes, or you can post it here and somebody may help your with it.

Thank you for termite, I was confused by trying to find com port monitor.

I got the data from comport and I can see transmitted temperature values. I will figure out all the things and then will post the results, will compile it to be easy to understand.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3207 on: November 17, 2023, 03:26:39 pm »
I got the data from comport and I can see transmitted temperature values. I will figure out all the things and then will post the results, will compile it to be easy to understand.

When it works with TC I would like to include it, this means a picture (That I can publish on my website) of how your soldered the adapter to the meter would be useful.
Also note that it is best only to connect the TX data to the USB adapter, with the RX pin you may get two output pins connected together (This is only a minor detail, they will probably stay at same level all the time).

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3208 on: November 17, 2023, 04:11:43 pm »
When it works with TC I would like to include it, this means a picture (That I can publish on my website) of how your soldered the adapter to the meter would be useful.
Also note that it is best only to connect the TX data to the USB adapter, with the RX pin you may get two output pins connected together (This is only a minor detail, they will probably stay at same level all the time).

I can see values in termite, have no idea yet how to connet it to the TC.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3209 on: November 17, 2023, 04:46:12 pm »
I will start describing transmitted data:

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3210 on: November 17, 2023, 05:04:46 pm »
I will start describing transmitted data:

This looks like a job for the block driver (AsciiBlock can also be used): https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_with_fixed_communication_blocks_(Block)

When you have posted a bit more I can do a initial definition for you or you can check the included definitions for some examples and make it yourself.
For me to do a definition I need some hex data in ascii format, not as a image (I am lazy and don't want to type the data myself).

The way TC works you will have one column with temperature and you may add another column with channel. Input data has to be numeric, you can not throw in a text string (Except if you play with bits).

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3211 on: November 17, 2023, 05:41:18 pm »

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3212 on: November 17, 2023, 05:43:09 pm »
For me to do a definition I need some hex data in ascii format, not as a image (I am lazy and don't want to type the data myself).

How I get you data in ascii format? Can I capture it like that, I need to figure it out...

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3213 on: November 17, 2023, 05:48:11 pm »

How I get you data in ascii format? Can I capture it like that, I need to figure it out...

Hm, I not sure how get data in ascii? Any suggestions?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3214 on: November 17, 2023, 05:51:15 pm »

Like the hex in your first image, just not in a image, but directly as text in the post. I do need all the different temperatures from your second example.
I may have to modify some code in TC to handle negative temperature.

I am not going to look at it today.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3215 on: November 17, 2023, 06:08:19 pm »

Like the hex in your first image, just not in a image, but directly as text in the post. I do need all the different temperatures from your second example.
I may have to modify some code in TC to handle negative temperature.

I am not going to look at it today.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 07:11:06 pm by Gediminas »

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3216 on: November 17, 2023, 07:06:34 pm »
This is how to solder serial adapter to the thermometer.
In my case logic level 0 was to high, to solve that I desolder pull up resistor from adapters RX input.

1930599-0

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3217 on: November 17, 2023, 07:46:33 pm »
This is how to solder serial adapter to the thermometer.
In my case logic level 0 was to high, to solve that I desolder pull up resistor from adapters RX input.

(Attachment Link)

After you will connect serial to USB adapter to the PC, thermometer will be powered from USB, it will work even without the battery.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3218 on: November 17, 2023, 08:12:01 pm »
Found one more transmitting mode, Byte 14 can also be "3"
It is the same as "2", transmitted data is T1 - T2.
But "2" means that thermometers secondary display shows T1 temperature, and "3" means that thermometers secondary display shows T2 temperature.
It does not affect transmitted temperature values.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3219 on: November 18, 2023, 01:17:07 am »
This looks like a job for the block driver (AsciiBlock can also be used): https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_with_fixed_communication_blocks_(Block)

When you have posted a bit more I can do a initial definition for you or you can check the included definitions for some examples and make it yourself.

The way TC works you will have one column with temperature and you may add another column with channel. Input data has to be numeric, you can not throw in a text string (Except if you play with bits).

I understand that now we in the stage, when it is clear, that Tenma could be connected to the TC.
But I live in an analog world (audio equipment, power supplies, etc.), yesterday first time in my life I had captured data from COM port, so I am learning while doing it.
I do not even know what "definitions" means in this case. So, I will need some hep with simple explanations of some things at the beginning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I had looked a bit at "Test Controller, Configuration of non SCPI devices" page. Then find out what is SCPI.
If I understood correctly, the working principle of the TC is based on SCPI and Tenma is not SCPI device, so it needs translation layer, like AsciiBlock.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:52:35 am by Gediminas »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3220 on: November 18, 2023, 12:52:29 pm »
I understand that now we in the stage, when it is clear, that Tenma could be connected to the TC.
But I live in an analog world (audio equipment, power supplies, etc.), yesterday first time in my life I had captured data from COM port, so I am learning while doing it.
I do not even know what "definitions" means in this case. So, I will need some hep with simple explanations of some things at the beginning.

I have attached a definition, I have only tested with a few of your supplied data, i.e. I will recommend you do a full test.
You can place the file in TestController/Devices, either the one in the TC directory or better in the one in documents.

I used the Block driver, but I have added a few things to it, i.e. you need a new version of TC. The link below will download a new .jar file, you have to replace your existing .jar file with it.
http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar

Ok, I had looked a bit at "Test Controller, Configuration of non SCPI devices" page. Then find out what is SCPI.
If I understood correctly, the working principle of the TC is based on SCPI and Tenma is not SCPI device, so it needs translation layer, like AsciiBlock.

That is basically correct.

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3221 on: November 18, 2023, 01:41:10 pm »
I have attached a definition, I have only tested with a few of your supplied data, i.e. I will recommend you do a full test.
You can place the file in TestController/Devices, either the one in the TC directory or better in the one in documents.

Awesome! It works.
I could not connect in the beginning, then I changed Baud rate in the definition text file to 2400 and it started to work.
I will do full test and let you know if it is any problems, right now it seems to work fine.
I definitely need to buy you a coffee for helping me with this and for making very awesome test software. If you have MobilePay, send me number to PM.

The following users thanked this post: Oleksii

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3222 on: November 18, 2023, 02:02:08 pm »
Awesome! It works.
I could not connect in the beginning, then I changed Baud rate in the definition text file to 2400 and it started to work.
I will do full test and let you know if it is any problems, right now it seems to work fine.

Sorry about that, I used a Arduino to test and my usual baudrate for that is 9600.
I have a simple Arduino program where I can just dump the hex into and it will send it, it makes it easy for my to add and test simple serial devices, even when I do not have the device.

I definitely need to buy you a coffee for helping me with this and for making very awesome test software. If you have MobilePay, send me number to PM.

I have never gotten around to get MobilePay, they only way to send me money is paypal.

I have added a little bit more to the definition, with the new one there is a "View" button on the "Load devices" page.
It do also add the UNI-T device name

Offline Gediminas

• Contributor
« Reply #3223 on: November 18, 2023, 02:35:36 pm »
I have never gotten around to get MobilePay, they only way to send me money is paypal.

I have added a little bit more to the definition, with the new one there is a "View" button on the "Load devices" page.
It do also add the UNI-T device name

PayPal is also good (I like more MobalPay because they did not charge commission fee).

Yep, I see picture in "View", If you want I have picture of my device with soldered serial adapter and removed HID chip.

1931538-0

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3224 on: November 18, 2023, 03:09:47 pm »
In TestController, I expect when using [LOC], that a ++loc is sent to the meter (and intercepted by the GPIB controller). But this is not the case. Nothing is sent. And nothing appears in the debug log...

I wrote a as small as possible definition for testing, and it seems that none of the TC GPIB commands are working. (I tried  [CLR], [LLO] and  [LOC] ). Example: #finalCmd [LOC];  or  #finalCmd [LOC];[500];
So these findings are in line with the post of dl6lr above...

Can these commands only be used with the ASCII driver, or is something broken? I was testing with a AR488.

The beta version I posted a link to above (Post #3220) has added these  commands to the SCPIx driver, but it is not tested.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf