Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2313342 times)

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3450 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:15 pm »
My minimalistic portable work bench setup.

Thanks - I had wondered for a long time if anyone would show their minimalistic portable setup, especially one in an RV.  :-+   Now I need an RV  :-DD
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: tomduly

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3451 on: March 05, 2018, 10:16:02 pm »
That's not mine...

Literally a 'Man Cave'.. Just needs a few bats hanging off the ceiling and you've cracked it :)

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3452 on: March 06, 2018, 07:56:05 am »
That's not mine...

Top marks for the bucket lamp shade. Is that the "Jungle" you speak of outside the window George?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3453 on: March 06, 2018, 12:05:37 pm »
Top marks for the bucket lamp shade. Is that the "Jungle" you speak of outside the window George?

Ohhh, no, unfortunately that's not my jungle. Look, this is the view through that window:

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3454 on: March 06, 2018, 12:14:35 pm »
Literally a 'Man Cave'.. Just needs a few bats hanging off the ceiling and you've cracked it :)

Another man's cave...

https://youtu.be/K0KmzM-OG1k
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline tomduly

« Reply #3455 on: March 07, 2018, 01:49:46 pm »
This was the man cave of my wife's grandfather, located in eastern part of Germany. He was a true generalist: mechanic, blacksmith and carpenter. I was lucky to share some time with him there. When he set up his workshop, it was during the communist era, he was famous for forming super hardened chisels out of tank track bolts, he got the bolts from Soviet soldiers in exchange for schnapps.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:41:23 pm by tomduly »

Offline Ray Gianelli

• Contributor
« Reply #3456 on: March 07, 2018, 04:00:35 pm »
Here's my bench.  Do mostly audio and test equipment repair.  Recently revamped, and the new layout is much more conducive to getting work done... and making an even bigger mess!

Offline andyturk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3457 on: March 07, 2018, 04:11:38 pm »
What is that keyboard on the picture ? Looks interesting.  :)

My guess is that it came from:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

I've been meaning to order one myself for months.

Pretty sure it's a Happy Hacking Professional 2 keyboard. It's possible to order extra keycap sets and swap some for extra bling.

Offline tomduly

« Reply #3458 on: March 07, 2018, 05:18:49 pm »
Back to topic. My current lab at home.

U shaped wooden desk. On the left electronics work bench, on the right computing corner.
Some Hameg goodies including the 5014 spectrum analyser and the 1507 "150 MHz analog digital oscilloscope". Some HP stuff: 3314A easter egg function generator. 16702A logic analyser. The LA meanwhile refuses to boot, means I have to replace the internal SCSI disk and reinstall everything. Config and license data is saved on floppy and I got a restore CD from HP/Agilent/Verigy/Keysight/x branch office near Stuttgart. So restoration project can begin soon.
As you can see, I suffer from a severe lack of power supplies. Hope to get that gap closed asap.
Last photo: long-term test of geiger counters to support debuging of device firmware and optimize calibration curves.

Not shown - below the desks: Parts of my computer collection. Two Dell C6100 rackservers (8 nodes/64 cores/128 threads, 192GB RAM, 24 1TB disks). A almost vintage IBM X3200 tower server (my "8.8": 8 GB RAM/8TB disk space) for handling and sorting LTO tape backups. An HP Z820 work station for video editing and playing around with blender. A noname PC, without network/web access, with win XP and HP-IB interface card and all that software for the HP and Hameg equipment. Etc.

Tom

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline SirAlucard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3459 on: March 08, 2018, 08:59:32 am »
This was the man cave of my wife's grandfather, located in eastern part of Germany. He was a true generalist: mechanic, blacksmith and carpenter. I was lucky to share some time with him there. When he set up his workshop, it was during the communist era, he was famous for forming super hardened chisels out of tank track bolts, he got the bolts from Soviet soldiers in exchange for schnapps.

That's some serious history there. What type of things other than the bolts did he make?

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3460 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:42 am »

That's some serious history there. What type of things other than the bolts did he make?

He didn't make bolts. He made chisels out of tank bolts.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tomduly

« Reply #3461 on: March 08, 2018, 01:48:31 pm »

The bolts came from scrapped tanks and he forged them into chisels. He also constructed his own sawmill saw: a large circular saw, where smaller tree trunks could be moved along on a sled running on rails out of two steel beams. So he was able to saw trees into bars and boards. It's on the first picture on the left. Remember, that almost everything at that time was on shortage behind the iron curtain and people had to improvise.

Offline SirAlucard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3462 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:48 pm »

He didn't make bolts. He made chisels out of tank bolts.

McBryce.

Yea, sorry I did understand what he made from the bolts, I was merely stating his project that used the bolts.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3463 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:57 pm »
I would suggest looking for steel tool drawers, as they will handle a good load, certainly better than a cheap desk type credenza drawer will.

Otherwise find some used low profile filing cabinets and do some butchery of them to separate the drawers and make a wooden case to hold the rails in place.
+1 

Example. Based on the link, not expensive either.  :-+

FWIW, you might want to check for used, scratch & dent, some part you don't need that's damaged, ... types of stuff in office furniture stores.

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3464 on: March 13, 2018, 07:36:19 am »
New bench built during the weekend...More space than before and more practical

The following users thanked this post: NA5B

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3465 on: March 13, 2018, 08:14:02 am »
Nice work. Also appropriately sized legs and supports. I see a lot of people using tiny little sticks. Scares me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3466 on: March 13, 2018, 07:13:37 pm »

Well done weekend project. I like it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3467 on: March 14, 2018, 07:08:15 am »

Very nice.  :-+

Is this a Fluke 895A on the right under the Keithley?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3468 on: March 14, 2018, 08:00:04 am »

Very nice.  :-+

Is this a Fluke 895A on the right under the Keithley?

Thank you, no it's the Fluke 883AB.

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3469 on: March 14, 2018, 01:24:47 pm »

Very nice bench  :-+
Which are the dimensions ?

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3470 on: March 15, 2018, 08:16:36 am »

Very nice bench  :-+
Which are the dimensions ?

The bench itself is 2200mm x 900m, the shelves are 2100mm x 450mm and 1700mm x 450mm. I wanted large shelves because some of my instruments are very long.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3471 on: March 15, 2018, 09:21:08 am »
I currently have a plastic rectangular table (the one you can bend and store) roughly 120cm wide. I wanna make 2 shelves mounted on the wall by dimensions of 150cm length, 30cm width, and about 18mm thickness (carpenter said it is good enough) made of wood and tightened to the wall by 3 metal angles.

Is this good enough? I live in a shared room with another guy so there is not much I can do. Maybe next year I will have my own house with garage, then I might ask you again  :-+

I run Thundertronics video blog (lazy lately but will return to be active) so it is important for me to get my setup nice to make my recordings easier.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #3472 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:50 am »
I wanted large shelves because some of my instruments are very long.

For example, your HP 3456A  :-+  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3473 on: March 17, 2018, 04:06:00 pm »
This miniaturized workplace after the fans of marijuana and other fabrics robbed my workshop in the house moved (to the great pleasure of my wife) into a niche in the wall of our bedroom. Large stand drill and cut the saw blade into the hallway (and it was folding) so I was forced to move  into the garage (now under reconstruction).

The work desk is made of a massive oak panel, the left drawer is purchased, the right drawer  is its my production (missing the front of the drawers), in its bowels except the drawers there is a vacuum cleaner for workplace cleaning or for working with a small Proxon milling cutter, the worktop is not a dust layer, but an antistatic pad.
Besides notorious purchased components, other equipment of my own production, including LED lighting, there are still two things  that are otherwise involved in the production process - the miniature compressor - is subject to the maintenance process and the soldering vapor extraction engine - waiting for a new hose

Because I do not only work here with electronics but also with 230V devices, grounding points are divided into two circuits. The green-yellow socket is straight ground and green is for connecting to  1M resistor.

Well I wrote more than enough, so at least some photo :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:06:55 pm by Edison »
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

The following users thanked this post: JustSquareEnough

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3474 on: March 17, 2018, 04:21:26 pm »
Detail of the panel, filtered power + USB hub and top shelf.
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf