Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2313405 times)

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2013, 12:04:12 am »
We did rescue a Lab/Rot mix from the humane society but he turned out to have some really bad issues and was deemed untrainable.  We unfortunately had to bring him back to the humane society.  We have since discovered that our dog is a one dog household dog. :(  I would love to have a 2nd but she doesn't share well.

Tom, NW0LF

We got our dog from the RSPCA about 10 years ago. He is a poodle and when we got him he had just had his rear left leg amputated. I'm not exactly sure what happened to cause the issue but he was in pretty bad shape. Now he is about 15 yrs old, 3 legs, almost blind and completely deaf. He has dementia too. Dunno how much long he has left but he is a champ and most people are amazed at how well he gets around on 3 legs, almost a non issue for him although when we first got him he would frequently try to scratch his ear with his non existent leg for quite some time before giving up. It was pretty funny watching him cock his leg by standing on his two front legs :), he doesn't do that anymore though.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #526 on: December 14, 2013, 12:43:40 am »
Lab at my school.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #527 on: December 14, 2013, 01:31:01 am »
Good looking set up there.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #528 on: December 18, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »
I keep seeing these old crt-based computer monitor swing arms at garage sales and on craig's list for free, or next to nothing..

(Image might get deleted.  I honestly couldn't find a pic of it that wasn't for a LCD.  I'm speaking of the old CRT monitor arms - some were rated for 21" monitors ~40 pounds - built really beefy - usually has a pull out try for a keyboard.)

I only bring it up, cause they almost seem like they would be useful on a bench?  Get one one of those ratcheting belts tie downs and you could have a old scope, and maybe one or two other things suspended over the work bench, and out of the way when not needed.

What does EEVblog say?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:17:31 pm by george graves »

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #529 on: December 18, 2013, 12:36:29 pm »
I don't really have much in the way of "pricey" test equipment.  The four most expensive items I have purchased new are a Fluke meter, inspection microscope, cheap digital scope, and Weller SMD soldering station.  They are mostly used to fix all the newer junk with crappy capacitors.  Most everything else is vintage test equipment I've picked up used over the years and rebuilt.  I use it to restore even older test equipment.

Uhm, is that a lab or a monument to vintage equipment?!  :-+

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #530 on: December 18, 2013, 01:03:41 pm »
Both   :-DD

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: December 18, 2013, 01:07:04 pm »
Ikea sold wire shelved in the 50's?  Nice!   :-DD

Offline prenato

• Regular Contributor
    • paulorenato.com
« Reply #532 on: December 18, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »
I keep seeing these old crt-based computer monitor swing arms at garage sales and on craig's list for free, or next to nothing..

(Image might get deleted.  I honestly couldn't find a pic of it that wasn't for a LCD.  I'm speaking of the old CRT monitor arms - some were rated for 21" monitors ~40 pounds - built really beefy - usually has a pull out try for a keyboard.)

I only bring it up, cause they almost seem like they would be useful on a bench?  Get one one of those ratcheting belts tie downs and you could have a old scope, and maybe one or two other things suspended over the work bench, and out of the way when not needed.

What does EEVblog say?

I have not used it to support test equipment but it is handy as a monitor for my oscilloscope (see picture). It is sturdy enough to handle some heavy gear...
Paulo
Professional Tinkerer,
www.paulorenato.com

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #533 on: December 19, 2013, 08:48:13 pm »
...But any time a project comes along, I set up my lab in the dining room we hardly use anyways.

Pretty flexible, it takes me 5 to 8 minutes to set it up completely. Among the benefits is that every time you get started, you do it with a super clean space.
That is a really good point. I have the disability that any horizontal surface (including the top of test equipment enclosures) quickly gets cluttered with anything I once had in hand and needed to put down. I want to learn to "put away" and not just "put down" but I can't. You won't see a picture of my bench here unless it is just after a clean sweep. It's too embarrassing.
Same here. I just cleaned it up. It's only a matter of time before it gets messy again.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #534 on: December 19, 2013, 09:16:48 pm »
My half of the hobbyroom.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:23:22 pm by wiss »

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #535 on: December 20, 2013, 03:37:27 am »
Painfully slow progress in my electronics work area, but getting there.

The shelving above the two benches seen here is now complete, but the benches are both temporary patches, till I can make ones that fit the space better. That rack of gear is still being worked on, and has a mile-long to-do list. Off picture to the right is another small bench, that will be a soldering, desoldering, SMD & microscope/video-inspection station. It's currently having shelving added for gear above it.
There are also to be some LCD screen swing arms mounted on the shelves and sides of the rack, to get monitors off the benches.
Also an 'organizer' small shelving thing to go on top of a drawers cabinet visible far left (behind the chair), to hold random stuff like battery chargers, laptops, small NAS units, USB HD docks, chip programmer, EPROM eraser, etc.

Lastly one more small workbench on lockable castors, that can be pulled in at the left of the main bench here, to give extra work surface in an L shape when needed.

You do not want to see the view looking the other way here. Big mess.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #536 on: December 20, 2013, 01:12:28 pm »
The rack ended up looking good loaded :-+
However You should of made two smaller ones, then people could say corny stuff like Nice set of racks!! :)

Offline jonw0224

• Contributor
    • Jonathan's Homepage
« Reply #537 on: December 20, 2013, 03:02:15 pm »
We just converted the hobby room to a nursery.  I have a temporary setup in my basement shop, that may end up more permanent.  I took over a nearly empty tool chest I had and filled everything up with the items I use most often.  Other equipment is boxed up.  You can see my component case haphazardly on top of the boxes.  The current project is on the bench.  Older brother is giving me some help in setting up!

Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement. ~ C. S. Lewis

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: December 20, 2013, 04:51:22 pm »

Is it open to the public?  Could be a great eevblog episode.

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #539 on: December 21, 2013, 05:47:30 am »
Hi folks, this is my current workbench.  :scared:

Oscilloscopes: Kenwood cs-4125, Rigol ds1052e
Power Supplies: Meguro mp 303-3, Cheap chinese branded dhf-1501
Multimeters: Fluke 87, Uni-T ut61c

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #540 on: December 21, 2013, 11:48:27 am »
Is Kenwood still around?  In the US it's only know as a maker of car and home stereo gear.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #541 on: December 21, 2013, 11:51:03 am »
Kenwood is still very much alive in the Ham Radio world.  They still make some of the best sounding radios there are.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #542 on: December 21, 2013, 12:02:37 pm »
Oh - that's right.  I forgot about ham stuff.  Wikipedia says they are the same as JVC now....I think.  Still an off brand in the US.  Susprised they don't license it to a chiness TV maker.  Lots of old folks still know the brand and need a new TV.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #543 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »
I use this Kenwood in my office.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #544 on: December 21, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »

Is it open to the public?  Could be a great eevblog episode.

Dave would be welcome if he ever travels to this side of the globe.  Since it would be a waste to just let it all sit in my shop I try to post much of it so others can view it on line:

Test equipment

Vintage Soldering Guns and Irons

I use to collect mostly antique radios but saw a really unique tube tester and since I've been a tech all my life it got me interested in antique test equipment.  It was a Supreme model 85C made in Greenwood Mississippi in 1934.  As I found out more about the company and some of the testers they made I decided to put the information on line for other collectors.  This was the first test equipment web site focused on Supreme testers:  www.SupremeInstruments.org

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #545 on: December 21, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »
Is Kenwood still around?  In the US it's only know as a maker of car and home stereo gear.

Kenwood is definitely still around :-+, http://www.kenwoodusa.com/. They are the official supplier for mclaren mercedes f1 team. But i can't find any new electronics test equipments by them  :-//.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #546 on: December 21, 2013, 04:29:21 pm »
Here in Italy, that kind of Kenwood devices diseappeared many years ago (and that's a shame); now we have only kitchen robots by Kenwood  :--

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #547 on: December 21, 2013, 04:38:58 pm »
Just had a serious tidy up so snapped a few pics!

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #548 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »
Kenwood is definitely still around :-+, http://www.kenwoodusa.com/. They are the official supplier for mclaren mercedes f1 team.
But i can't find any new electronics test equipments by them  :-//.
Kenwood TMI [Test & Measurement Instruments] is now named TEXIO http://www.texio.co.jp/en/index.html

http://www.testequipmentconnection.com/manufacturer/TEXIO%20Kenwood/Power-Supplies/
TEXIO is the parent company of Kenwood. TEXIO branded products began selling in 2006. Some products may be marketed under both names. Texio (Kenwood) Corporation was founded 1996, equipmented manufactured includes: Regulated DC Power Supplies, Electronic Loads, Oscilloscopes, Audio/ Visual related testing instruments, In-vehcle LAN related testing instruments(CAN), Testing instruments for aviation electronic equipment.

Good Will Instrument Co., Ltd. [a.k.a. GW Instek] is now the owner of TEXIO according to TEXIO's website:
Company: http://www.texio.co.jp/en/02comp_02.html
Shareholder   Good Will Instrument Co., Ltd.
History: http://www.texio.co.jp/en/02comp_03.html
...Established TEXIO TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION affiliated of GOOD WILL INSTRUMENTS CO.,LTD
Power supply and electric measuring instruments business have been transferred to TEXIO TECHNOLOGY from NIKKE TECHNO SYSTEM...

You can still buy power supplies designed in the Kenwood TMI era, now just with the TEXIO name on them (see example below).

TEXIO also sells re-branded oscilloscopes from their owner GW Instek.
GW Instek GDS-2000A Series is now sold rebranded as TEXIO DCS-9700 Series.

PD36-20AD with TEXIO sticker http://www.texio.co.jp/en/03prod_01_01_0201.html
http://jp.rs-online.com/web/p/bench-power-supplies/6637784/

PD36-20AD with Kenwood sticker

PW18-1.8AQ with TEXIO sticker http://www.texio.co.jp/en/03prod_01_01_0101.html

PW18-1.8AQ with Kenwood sticker
http://www.testequipmentconnection.com/manufacturer/TEXIO%20Kenwood/Power-Supplies/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:49:01 pm by AndersAnd »

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf