Author Topic: Post a picture of a cat!  (Read 356395 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Post a picture of a cat!
« Reply #1150 on: February 04, 2022, 01:02:12 am »
We got a winter storm in Texas so I made the stray a house from a cardboard box. I did the best I could for now. Draped with a heavy canvas, the bottom inside has a 1" pink foam board insulation on the floor, 2 large sheets folded, a large microfiber towel, and a fur something-or-other that a Boonton power meter was packed in from an Ebay seller. He has been using it for the last few days. Supposed to get into the teens (deg F) at night for a few days.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, SeanB, PA0PBZ, mathsquid, edavid, Bud, rob77, Mr.B, Cubdriver, BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal, Neper, Carel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1151 on: February 04, 2022, 01:21:44 am »
I've no doubt that he is most appreciative of his shelter!   :-+ :-+

I'm glad I'm not a critter outside in freezing temperatures, especially in an area that doesn't normally see them.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: February 04, 2022, 03:00:08 pm »
We got a winter storm in Texas so I made the stray a house from a cardboard box.

How awfully nice of you. :-)
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: February 04, 2022, 04:42:41 pm »
I did that for one stray black cat one very cold winter in Michigan.  I was eventually able to grab her, get her to the vet and turn her into an indoor cat.  She had been declawed and thrown outdoors and was very skinny when I got her.  Once she settled down she almost never left the bedroom  and had absolutely zero interest in the outside  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1154 on: February 04, 2022, 04:55:54 pm »
I did that for one stray black cat one very cold winter in Michigan.  I was eventually able to grab her, get her to the vet and turn her into an indoor cat.  She had been declawed and thrown outdoors and was very skinny when I got her.  Once she settled down she almost never left the bedroom  and had absolutely zero interest in the outside  :-DD

Wow - DECLAWED and thrown out to fend for herself?!?   :rant: :rant: :rant:  There's gotta be a special place in hell for someone who'd do that.  (I also think there should be one for those who effectively cut a cat's fingertips off, too, but to do that then turn it loose - that's ten times worse.)  Good on you for taking her in.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: February 04, 2022, 06:38:01 pm »
Yes I agree, though my thing for the owners would be to neuter them as well, before doing the drop off in a strange place to fend for themselves. My place to drop off would be a nice clearing in the Taiga, middle of summer, where you can travel by plane for 3 hours in any direction before you find anything approaching a hut. Would not be totally heartless, I would allow them the luxury of having a t shirt and pants on, plus a pair of flip flops, and a blunt kitchen knife.

But then my cat likes going outside at times, though he is an indoor cat, and has a great aversion to people, seeing as I got him as a doorstop stray.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: February 04, 2022, 06:44:09 pm »
But then my cat likes going outside at times, though he is an indoor cat, and has a great aversion to people, seeing as I got him as a doorstop stray.

Don't you mean doorstep stray? Or did he wedge himself as a doorstop between the door and the frame until you had to give up and let him in?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: February 04, 2022, 06:56:52 pm »
Wedged himself in the gap between the door frame and the post boxes, which meant a little work to find a way to grab the hissing tiny ball of fur and claw, and pull him out. Then, seeing as it was New years eve, I was loath to take him to the shelter, so kept him for the night in the bathroom, and went to go get some cat food and such for him. Then he kind of never left.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1158 on: February 04, 2022, 07:06:22 pm »

Don't you mean doorstep stray? Or did he wedge himself as a doorstop between the door and the frame until you had to give up and let him in?  :)

I have several doorstop kitties.  One nice thing about them is I never need to scoop their litterboxes...

(There's another small one missing from the pic; he's apparently in hiding at the moment.)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, BU508A, Gary350z

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: February 04, 2022, 08:49:01 pm »
I bet they still scratch up your woodwork, just like the furry ones.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: February 04, 2022, 08:52:58 pm »
Wedged himself in the gap between the door frame and the post boxes, which meant a little work to find a way to grab the hissing tiny ball of fur and claw, and pull him out. Then, seeing as it was New years eve, I was loath to take him to the shelter, so kept him for the night in the bathroom, and went to go get some cat food and such for him. Then he kind of never left.

Yeah, Madam Maija came in on a Christmas eve with a swollen infected wound on her head and was supposed to be here long enough to get well and then I was going to rehome her. You can judge how well that plan went by the fact that was seven years ago.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Cubdriver, Nominal Animal

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: February 04, 2022, 11:25:47 pm »
A late owd acquaintance, John Dunedin (aka John Hein), once wrote a short treatise entitled "Cat Bathing as a Martial Art".

Weird synchronicity, I've just seen John's little baldy ginger pate on the television in Edinburgh in archive footage on the BBC.

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: February 06, 2022, 11:47:00 am »
Watchcat timer overflow.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Mr.B, Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1163 on: February 06, 2022, 11:56:29 am »
Watchcat timer overflow.
What is that pose?

If I were to guess, I'd say that cat is familiar with dogs, and is playing/inviting play, about to steal something or do a friendly play-attack.  (No raised hair, no fluffy tail, ears twisted backwards and a classic puppy 'let's play' pose every dog recognizes.)

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: February 06, 2022, 12:34:50 pm »
Watchcat timer overflow.
What is that pose?

If I were to guess, I'd say that cat is familiar with dogs, and is playing/inviting play, about to steal something or do a friendly play-attack.  (No raised hair, no fluffy tail, ears twisted backwards and a classic puppy 'let's play' pose every dog recognizes.)

We have no dogs, although when we picked him up as a kitten, we had to remove him from the head of a dog. Looking at the series of photo's he was trying to start up a 5 month kitten: racing in the snow is fun. I see the pose more in the mini culture here, they teach each other a lot, like somewhere around 1997 they stopped scratching humans and pass it on. Attached photo is a few seconds later.

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: February 06, 2022, 12:58:45 pm »
Same posture, target of chase in bottom leftcorner.

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, Cubdriver, BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: February 06, 2022, 04:33:47 pm »
Watchcat timer overflow.
What is that pose?

I think you're being caught out by that being a still picture of a cat in motion. To me it looks like they are going the 'set' of 'ready, set, go!'. I've often seen a cat start an explosive sprint from a standstill by crouching like that. Creep up your cat and say "Boo!" while watching the front end and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, and in my experience cats are always "about to steal something". Remember the old cat aphorism: "Stolen food tastes better."

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: February 06, 2022, 05:15:26 pm »
Creep up your cat and say "Boo!"

Impossible. But I have managed to hide behind a door as the cat meandered into the room and then said "Boo!" just as he rounded the door. Gosh, I never knew they could jump that high from a standing start.

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: February 06, 2022, 05:51:37 pm »
Watchcat timer overflow.
What is that pose?

I think you're being caught out by that being a still picture of a cat in motion. To me it looks like they are going the 'set' of 'ready, set, go!'. I've often seen a cat start an explosive sprint from a standstill by crouching like that. Creep up your cat and say "Boo!" while watching the front end and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, and in my experience cats are always "about to steal something". Remember the old cat aphorism: "Stolen food tastes better."

The next photo showed he had found a very interesting little piece off a branch. It's already under his right paw in the first photo. If he had sprinted he would have gone head on on the flower pot. A sprint starts with the head in the periscope position, flat on the ground and the buttwiggle. Photo: the red on the right starting a fun attack on the black on the left.

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, Cubdriver, Nominal Animal

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1169 on: February 06, 2022, 07:29:50 pm »
Watchcat timer overflow.

So apparently my Gilmore is traveling to the Netherlands to cavort in the snow when he disappears and I can't find him.   :-DD

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, xrunner, Mr.B, BU508A, Nominal Animal, Carel

Offline l0rd_hex

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm a master of karate and friendship for everyone
« Reply #1170 on: February 06, 2022, 07:35:21 pm »
May I present... Mr. Salsa T. Cat Esq.

He's the best kitty cat lawyer in the world! His work on the famous "Some cats v. Other cats" case is taught in every feline legal curriculum. He's also a big orange cat.

"I haven't paid taxes in six years, and I'm not getting busted by a damn sandwich." - Benjamin Franklin

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, xrunner, Mr.B, Cubdriver, BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal, BILLPOD, Carel

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: February 06, 2022, 08:37:19 pm »
Watchcat timer overflow.

So apparently my Gilmore is traveling to the Netherlands to cavort in the snow when he disappears and I can't find him.   :-DD

-Pat

It's a good lookalike! Unfortunately my Gilmore went MIA in 2017, never to be found again. Was a great funny guy. So if Gilmore's chipnumber starts with 528 we may solve the mystery of the international travelling cats.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1172 on: February 06, 2022, 09:02:17 pm »
Watchcat timer overflow.

-Pat

It's a good lookalike! Unfortunately my Gilmore went MIA in 2017, never to be found again. Was a great funny guy. So if Gilmore's chipnumber starts with 528 we may solve the mystery of the international travelling cats.

I'm sorry to hear that - they always leave us way too soon.  Your buddy and mine were definitely doppelgangers.  He's the second orange tabby I've catered to; his predecessor Loopy passed in 2007.  They were/are both characters, with oversized personalities.  Loopy's thing was hopping up and perching on the back of the kitchen chairs then doing a tightrope act there:

Gilmore joined the clowder (along with his sisters Pixel and Beaker, L and R respectively) back in July of 2015.  He has grown into an able lab assistant who helps with troubleshooting (and knocking things on the ground and making a bigger mess than I do):

-Pat
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 09:03:57 pm by Cubdriver »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Mr.B, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal, Carel

Offline Carel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: February 06, 2022, 09:16:35 pm »
Mine had more machinists ambitions.

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, Nominal Animal

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: February 06, 2022, 09:26:34 pm »
I think he's criticising your choice of a three jaw chuck. "I'd use a collet or a four-jaw for that workpiece if I was you mate."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf