Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204886 times)

Online jellytot

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1300 on: July 17, 2012, 11:26:02 am »
After successfully flashing with the latest firmware, Thanks Tinhead. I'm getting an error while doing a calibration, it gets to 33 and fails with "self calibration failed,error:0x502" I've tried several times with the same error, any ideas as to what's gone wrong? Thanks, jellytot

Offline komar007

« Reply #1301 on: July 18, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »
I just received my DSO3062C from Conrad.

Hi,
can you tell me in which Conrad you bought the scope? German Conrad now claims it's sold out:/

Offline Mki

« Reply #1302 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:08 pm »
Hi,
can you tell me in which Conrad you bought the scope? German Conrad now claims it's sold out:/

Conrad.com, but it seems that indeed it is sold out. Also http://www.voelkner.de doesn't list it anymore.

Offline ChrisMe

« Reply #1303 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:34 pm »
After successfully flashing with the latest firmware, Thanks Tinhead. I'm getting an error while doing a calibration, it gets to 33 and fails with "self calibration failed,error:0x502" I've tried several times with the same error, any ideas as to what's gone wrong? Thanks, jellytot

Hey there, just a short FYI, tried to reproduce your error on my Hantek DSO5102B and failed, eg everything is as it should be as of now. chris

Online jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1304 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:17 am »
Hi Chrisme, thanks for your post. Can you just try running the calibration a second time and see if it still works..? Thanks!

Offline komar007

« Reply #1305 on: July 21, 2012, 09:08:26 am »
Conrad.com, but it seems that indeed it is sold out. Also http://www.voelkner.de doesn't list it anymore.

Thanks for info. They're back, but it seems only until they run out of supply.
Can you confirm yours is still 1Gs/s with a 500Ms/s sticker?

This fairytale has to end someday:)

EDIT: and it did
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:12:20 pm by komar007 »

Offline ChrisMe

« Reply #1306 on: July 23, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »
Hi Chrisme, thanks for your post. Can you just try running the calibration a second time and see if it still works..? Thanks!

just did the second calibration run like you ask, still no problems.
My hw-rev. is 0x555583e8 and sw-ver. is 2.06.3(120625.0)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:03:04 pm by ChrisMe »

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1307 on: July 23, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

this is probably because your hardware is hw1005, let me quick check if that's the case.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #1308 on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:46 pm »
Thanks ChrisMe for taking the time to try again, it looks like Tinhead has already spotted the issue! it is hardware ver 1005 ! is there something that I overlooked? is the update for a different version?
Thanks again for your response.
Regards Jellytot.

Offline kamaloo

« Reply #1309 on: July 25, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »
After reading this topic I have bigger doubt than I had before. I'm about to buy cheap DSO. Which one will you recommend me: Tekway DST1102B, Owon SDS7102 (I have read whole topic about it also) or Rigol DS1052E? Every one of them have some disadvantages.

Tekway:
-No VGA
-Optional LAN
-No pass/fail test (or maybe I'm blind)
-Long list of issues

Owon:
are there any?
-No Equivalent Time Sampling available (Is it true?)

Rigol:
-100MHz only with hacked fw
-small screen
-no VGA
-no LAN

I'm developing devices with microcontrollers/FPGAs so I will measure different signals (bus signals rise/fall, clocks etc.).

I can buy Owon with bag for almost same cost as Tekway (+20€ for Tekway).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:30:05 am by kamaloo »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #1310 on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:55 am »
After reading this topic I have bigger doubt than I had before. I'm about to buy cheap DSO. Which one will you recommend me: Tekway DST1102B, Owon SDS7102 (I have read whole topic about it also) or Rigol DS1052E? Every one of them have some disadvantages.
At this cheaper end of the market, all you can do is weight up WHAT you can't live without and WHAT you can make do.
Even the dearer name brands have limitations, OR slug you serious $$s for add-ons. I went with the Owon MAINLY for the
screen size, VGA, reasonable specs AND built in Battery. I need it for on the road work. For bench work, I'll stick with my
"old" CRT LeCroys thank you :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline kamaloo

« Reply #1311 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:01 am »
What about wfrm/s? Owon is much slower than Tekway. Which one is better when we want to observe glitches? I'm not planning to work outside. I would like to ask about persistance mode in Tekway. Is it analog like? Can someone post a photo of waveform with persist on? On pictures Tekway chassis looks like very poor quality plastic, is it really so bad?

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1312 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:41 am »
[...] Every one of them have some disadvantages.

[...]

Rigol:
-100MHz only with hacked fw
[...]

How is that a disadvantage? I'd rather say it's a blessing for those who are pretty short on money and need 100Mhz BW. If you don't want to modify your scope you're free to put some more coin into the official 100 Mhz version of the Rigol scope.

Oh and I think the Hantek/Tekway has a Pass/Fail mode, but it might not be available on older FW versions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:22:14 am by LEECH666 »

Offline kamaloo

« Reply #1313 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
I think that I'm going to buy Owon. It's a pity that there is no persistence option but well... I can deal with it... Oh there is a persistence option so I'm buying it right now  ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:22:05 pm by kamaloo »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #1314 on: July 26, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »
I think that I'm going to buy Owon. It's a pity that there is no persistence option but well... I can deal with it... Oh there is a persistence option so I'm buying it right now  ;D 
Also have averaging (VERY handy) and record length settings. Get the battery if you can afford it ($60), VERY handy !!
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline kamaloo

« Reply #1315 on: July 26, 2012, 05:19:01 pm »
I just bought Owon with battery and bag, they are sending tomorrow and delivery probably on Monday :-\ We will see...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1316 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:32 am »
At 1Meg memory length the owon is WAYYY faster than a hantek

and this actually does not matter, you talk about 30 vs 4 waveframes per second. Both values are such
low that you can't use these scopes (in this particular memory depth setting) to catch any kind of glitches.

The point is, HanTekway DSO is capable of much more - with 40k memory about 20 times faster than Owon and
with 4k memory about 85 times faster than Owon!.

These 2500wfms/s are already in a region (just look at Tektronix or Hameg datasheet) where you can use such DSO
to serious (glitch capturing) work.

With Owon - having always max 30 wfms/s you can forget it.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Gall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1317 on: July 31, 2012, 11:05:19 am »
and this actually does not matter, you talk about 30 vs 4 waveframes per second. Both values are such
low that you can't use these scopes (in this particular memory depth setting) to catch any kind of glitches.
This all is about human perception. I personally feel more comfortable if the waveform on the display reacts smoothly to my commands. I hope it will be possible to emulate analog scope look and feel in the Hantek custom firmware.
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1318 on: July 31, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »
This all is about human perception. I personally feel more comfortable if the waveform on the display reacts smoothly to my commands. I hope it will be possible to emulate analog scope look and feel in the Hantek custom firmware.

i remember there was version working bit faster, something about 16 frames/s while in 1M mode. That was already
acceptable (from UI point of view), the lag was under 100ms.

In principle the idea of having keyboard control in FPGA was ok, there is no lag internaly.
The problem is on ARM side, afaik the process will be not interrupted on keyboard change. From a data integritiy point of view
a good idea, the last thing you wish is inconsistent data because of broken thread after interrupt.
For sure this can be done better, the only open question is how fast such firmware will be. I've played with current firmware,
e.g. patched the key event procedure to call an init after key status change - the resulting lag was samller, however due
missing event filter the fw was doing init after every change, so not the best idea.

On the other side they working on the firmware, the progress (of bug fixing and improvements) was already very good
(see fw 2.06.3_120625.0), let's hope they still on track. I think i will ask for updates on that.

Offline johncomp

« Reply #1319 on: August 03, 2012, 03:51:21 am »
On the other side they working on the firmware, the progress (of bug fixing and improvements) was already very good
(see fw 2.06.3_120625.0), let's hope they still on track. I think i will ask for updates on that.
This firmware is appropriate for hantek dso1202b (hw: 83e8)?

Offline Kc

« Reply #1320 on: August 03, 2012, 10:16:36 am »
Hi all,
I want to write here my experience in hacking the Tekway DST 1062b.
I bought the DSO in July 2012 in Germany.
The number on the sticker on the PCB is 120xxx.
Hardware-Version: 100700x555583e9
Software-Version: 2.06.3(120507.0)
There are no pins soldered at UART-connector J801! Only holes. You have to solder 3 wires on the board to connect the DSO fail-safe with a PC.
When I use PuTTY to communicate with the DSO, there is a big problem. After connecting with the serial option, I press Ctrl-C and Enter. Now the console is in the root-directory open, but only for about 5 seconds! Then the DSO reboots automatically!!! You have to be very fast to enter and fulfill commands.

After fulfilling mv /dst1062b /dst1202b and rebooting the "dst1062b" is replaced automatically in all mentioned files, except in the file logotype.dis! (The DSO shows in the Utility-screen "System Information" still: model dst1062b.
And believe me, it is ambitious within 5 seconds entering the console, open the vi editor, change the "tekway_dst1062b" to "tekway_dst1202b", and save it! ;)
Is there a possibility to prevent the DSO from restarting after 5 seconds when entering the console?
Thank you very much
C.

Offline Payti

« Reply #1321 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
After logging to console just kill watchdog first:

killall dsod

Regards,

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1322 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:11 am »
just fyi: it seams there are again some Voltcraft 500MSs 60MHz DSO3062C  back in stock. http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/122464
maybe returns?

just ordered one, i'll update when i get it. I hope it's still a Hantek DSO5202B
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:35:50 pm by Polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1323 on: August 11, 2012, 03:42:30 pm »
well, got the  Voltcraft 500MSs 60MHz DSO3062C , still 1GSa/s

played around a bit, i like it 's interface a lot more than the rigol menu system, but it has some rather silly inconsistency's and is not always very responsive

Hardware-Version: 100700x555583e9, came with 2.06.3(120507.0) , updated to 120625

used the little usb based windows tool to go to 200MHz, worked fine, no change in name and so but who cares.

just one annoying thing, it seams now and then the interface defaults back to german ( if you for example do the "probe check" routine) from english
anyone any idea if there is somewhere a "default language" in a conf file?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:46:28 pm by Polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline komar007

« Reply #1324 on: August 12, 2012, 07:50:22 pm »
I've just bought one too, we'll see next week.
It seems it is the best option for an entry-level scope I've seen so far.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf