Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204965 times)

Offline Kampfwurst

Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1325 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:49 pm »
there is a new FW on the Hantek site

http://www.hantek.com/english/down_list.asp?Unid=30

V2.06.3_0808

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »
I am new to this forum and I am going to buy an oscilloscope. I need about 200Mhz one.
Which brand can you recommend? ( having in mind moderate budget).
I was thinking about Hantek DSO 5202B.
Or do you know a better choice at a similar price and function?
Thanks

Offline Michael Weston

• Contributor
« Reply #1327 on: August 21, 2012, 10:38:58 am »
I am new to this forum and I am going to buy an oscilloscope. I need about 200Mhz one.
Which brand can you recommend? ( having in mind moderate budget).
I was thinking about Hantek DSO 5202B.
Or do you know a better choice at a similar price and function?
Thanks
I'm curious.  If I may ask, what do you want to do with a 200 MHz oscilloscope?  Do you want an analog or digital oscilloscope?  What does "moderate budget" mean to you exactly?
Thanks,
Michael

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1328 on: August 21, 2012, 10:58:09 am »
Need it for the satellite repairs and other things.
By moderate budget I mean that I want to spend on oscilloscope about USD 500.

Offline ot1

• Contributor
« Reply #1329 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »
Need it for the satellite repairs and other things.
By moderate budget I mean that I want to spend on oscilloscope about USD 500.

1. Field work or benchtop work?
2. Field work then you need a battery
3. concerning a 200mhz scope, $500 would be low budget, not moderate.

4. if you get a Han/Tekway 60mhz and upgrade the firmware to 200mhz, you need better probes then what come with the 60mhz (according to others here)
5. buying the DSO 100mhz and upgrading the firmware, you get probes that can do 200mhz (hopefully) and is the most economical solution, then you have to decide on field (portable with battery) or benchtop (no battery but larger screen)
6. 300mhz probe set cost USD 65.
7. But maybe you don't want to screw around with the firmware upgrade, a Hantek 200mhz is not alot more than a 100mhz.

8. I noticed that mortoncontrols. com doesn't have the benchtop models in stock now only the portable.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1330 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:04 am »
for field work you can use Hantek DSO1062B handheld - as the hardware is almost the same as on benchtop
model (except display and psu/battery of course) you can hack it to 200MHz as well.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1331 on: August 23, 2012, 07:50:17 am »
Thanks guys for help.
Which model can be hacked to 200Mhz?

DSO5062B   
or
DSO5062BM
or
DSO5062BMV

?
Or all?   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1332 on: August 23, 2012, 08:42:57 am »
all of them
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline mdm

« Reply #1333 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:41 pm »
Hi to all! Thanks Tinhead for your work!

Recently I bought Tekway 1062 model at Pioneer Huang, after a few minutes of work DSO started to hang with the white screen. I found here some people had the same problem with it, and the reason was mentioned has been in 3.3v power supply, which drops down to 3.2v if I remember it right. So this can be fixed very quickly with some metal work, there are 3 regulators on PSU board, or something looks like regulators, I don't know, I don't care. So 2 of these regulators (the ones which are closer to the narrow edges of the PSU board) have not enough radiators, they are very hot, you should enhance these radiators by aluminum profile or change these to a bigger radiators. I used Pi-shaped profile inbetween of original radiator and regulator, I cut about 6cm of profile for each reg, it's better to cut as bigger as the case of DSO can allow, now regulators warm to 40-50 degrees without cooler. This will need because next step will be lowering airflow of the cooler by putting 150ohm resistor in series, the cooler consume too much current that causes this white screen problem. I'm a very poor experienced in electronics, so I can't describe everything, but this trick works for me. If you want to check this trick quickly you can pull off cooler plug and let DSO to work some time without it, there should be no white screens anymore, but the radiators will be hotter than usual, so enhancing of radiators must be did for continuous work. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:00:28 pm by mdm »

Offline timcki

• Contributor
« Reply #1334 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:16 am »
Reading a thread COMPLETELY is good etiquette  before asking a question that has probably been asked somewhere in that thread already....
You will probably get a better response if you put forth a little effort yourself.....

That being said, if you buy the 60Mhz version you are looking at  you will probably get 60Mhz probes which will not be that useful at 200Mhz

Do you really need 200Mhz?
What Kind of work will you be doing with the scope?
Google is your friend.
This oscilloscope isn't telling me anything all I see is a squiggly line....

Offline ADZ

« Reply #1335 on: August 30, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »
tinhead
Hi. I have hantek DSO1052b with hw 1007. I have read you posts, but did not understand if will buy DM9000EP, can it  work with hw 1007. At first look i didn't see place on PCB where i could solder it. May be I must develop additional board with DM9000EP. How can I enable Ethernet on hw 1007?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1336 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:46 pm »
Reading a thread COMPLETELY is good etiquette  before asking a question that has probably been asked somewhere in that thread already....
You will probably get a better response if you put forth a little effort yourself.....

Reading 90 pages of thread is.. a little much.

Offline timcki

• Contributor
« Reply #1337 on: August 31, 2012, 03:30:58 am »

I read all the pages.....
I didn't want somebody telling me to read the thread
This oscilloscope isn't telling me anything all I see is a squiggly line....

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1338 on: August 31, 2012, 06:20:15 pm »
I know the preferable way, how to make 200MHz oscilloscope,  is using UART. But there is also a possibility to use JTAG.
Does anyone know the pin assignments for the  CPU  Samsung S3C2440 . The SoC used in the oscilloscope?
Thanks

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1339 on: September 01, 2012, 08:51:02 am »
Can anyone tell me please how to dismantle the DSO5062? Are there only 2 bottom srews or any others I must removed first?Thanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1340 on: September 01, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
Can anyone tell me please how to dismantle the DSO5062? Are there only 2 bottom srews or any others I must removed first?Thanks

http://randomprojects.org/wiki/Voltcraft_DSO-3062C#How_to_open_the_device

But there is also a possibility to use JTAG.
Does anyone know the pin assignments for the  CPU  Samsung S3C2440 . The SoC used in the oscilloscope?

standard arm jtag pinout

...  CPU  Samsung S3C2440 . The SoC used in the oscilloscope?

S3C2440 is the SoC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1341 on: September 01, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »
tinhead
Hi. I have hantek DSO1052b with hw 1007. I have read you posts, but did not understand if will buy DM9000EP, can it  work with hw 1007. At first look i didn't see place on PCB where i could solder it. May be I must develop additional board with DM9000EP. How can I enable Ethernet on hw 1007?

you CAN NOT have Hantek DSO1052B with hw1007, this is because of many reasons:
- Hantek benchtop DSOs are marked as DSO5xxxB/BM/BMV/M/N, Tekway is having DST1xxxB
- "1052B" is not valid for both manufacturers

So let's assume you speak about Hantek DSO5062B or Tekway DST1062B:
In principle, you could design own small PCB, solder DM9000EP on it and got Ethernet working (from hardware point of view).
From a software point of view only Handheld firmware is working 100% over Ethernet.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1342 on: September 01, 2012, 12:17:59 pm »
Recently I bought Tekway 1062 model at Pioneer Huang, after a few minutes of work DSO started to hang with the white screen.
 If you want to check this trick quickly you can pull off cooler plug and let DSO to work some time without it, there should be no white screens anymore, but the radiators will be hotter than usual, so enhancing of radiators must be did for continuous work.

in principle the DSO was designed to work without any cooler (fan), but depends on your room temperature and actual component tolerance it might happens that something is beyond the "limit".
The white screen is typical issue when the 5V cable is not contacting properly, so somethimes it's enough to unplug/replug all connectors to get it working (which was maybe the case for you, who knows).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1343 on: September 01, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »

well, there is Search button .. so everybody with IQ over 100 should be able to use it (?)

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1344 on: September 01, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
@tinhead:thanks for the reply.
So it seems I upgraded my scope. But when I try to self calibration, it fails with the error 0x2
and I can do nothing but restart scope
Does any one know the reason?
Thanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1345 on: September 01, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »
@tinhead:thanks for the reply.
So it seems I upgraded my scope. But when I try to self calibration, it fails with the error 0x2
and I can do nothing but restart scope
Does any one know the reason?
Thanks

i don't remember error 0x2, however when you properly hacked it should work without any error.
What did you changed/edited and how?

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1346 on: September 03, 2012, 01:44:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply. That error( 0x2) I received also before upgrade.It does not have probably anything in common with the upgrade. But do you happen to know how I can repair that error and make the self calibration?
Thanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1347 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »
Thanks for the reply. That error( 0x2) I received also before upgrade.It does not have probably anything in common with the upgrade. But do you happen to know how I can repair that error and make the self calibration?
Thanks

open ticket at hantek.org, they will tell you what 0x2 means (i don't know 0x2 or just don't remember it... too many things). 

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1348 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:29 pm »
I already asked at http://www.hantek.org/asken/ and also sent emails to Hantek, but their hotline is not probably very fast service. :-(

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1349 on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:47 am »
By ugrading sw, the problem is solved

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf