Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204746 times)

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2050 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:12 pm »
Hi guys. I need from help!
Today I received my Voltcraft DSO-1062D which I bought from ebay.de. When I tried to power on the oscilloscope doesn't starts up at all. After several attempts of power off/on is still dead, only for little time the backlight of some push buttons lights up for very short time and after that they went out.
Is it possible that problem to be in the power switch or power supply, maybe some input fuse?

I'm afraid if I opened the oscilloscope and if it become a more serious fault and If I cant to repair it I will not be able to return it back to the seller because there is Guarantee sticker in the bottom of case.
PS
After more several times the oscilloscope finally power on. But when I power off after that its sometimes run sometimes doesn't. After switching I can hear some type of switching relays inside of oscilloscope,  It is possible some of they do not work properly.
And finally one stupid question. It is possible to be that firmware bug?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:58:47 pm by icpart »

Offline uh9lab

« Reply #2051 on: October 18, 2013, 03:46:55 am »
With mine DSO, power switch should be pressed firmly, otherwise screen will just blink once and doesn't power on. May be it's common bug with this model, not sure.

Offline Allf

« Reply #2052 on: October 18, 2013, 04:25:39 am »
tinhead,

I tried descriebed way but no sucess. 

for the new B/BM/BMV models wit SN > 15000 there is no backup tool yet available.
However, the "nanddump" is now integrated, so you can do it manually, something like this could work:

nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/boot.bin /dev/mtd0
    nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/logo.bin /dev/mtd1
    nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/kernel.bin /dev/mtd2
    nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

Of course you need first to insert falsh drive into usb port and run these command from the shell

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:39:03 am by Allf »

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2053 on: October 18, 2013, 05:41:17 am »
first of all "Es ist eine shell Ausgabe vorhanden" menas nothing else than there is no return from the executed command. However not all commands does have return value, and some have return value which is not compatible with the Tool. So in principl you working blind here. The best is, for things like nanddump, to execute one line, wait a minute, execute "sync", wait until USB Led goes off and continue wiht second line. The last one (with root dump) wih take few minutes anyway (depends on USB flash drive speed). Most poeple with "P" models got issues here, even after hours nanddump was still running :P Even with specified partition size no luck (and here should nanddump stop normally^^). I thought first "ohh, it can lock partition", but actually nanddump does not need that to do, it should be able to copy partiton from what it has been sarted (it does works on my DSO with no issues).

Of course you can use as well tar/gz and/or copy files from root fs to usb flash, that will backup at least your settings and all the apps. The root fs can be itself rebuild, so not a big deal (more or less) when you don't have binary backup of that partition.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2054 on: October 18, 2013, 07:44:41 am »
With mine DSO, power switch should be pressed firmly, otherwise screen will just blink once and doesn't power on. May be it's common bug with this model, not sure.
Thanks for help. Maybe you are right and most of power switch of these Hantek oscilloscopes are with poor quality. Anyway I decide to return the oscilloscope to seller and maybe I will spend more money for new Rigol 1074Z. This Voltcraft was bargain in the price but I think Rigol is better investment.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2055 on: October 18, 2013, 08:31:45 am »

lol, it is not push button but a proper power switch, so of course you have to press it firmly and deep ^^
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2056 on: October 18, 2013, 09:47:32 am »
When I tried to power on the oscilloscope doesn't starts up at all.

and exactly here you should stop thinking and send it back ...

because there is Guarantee sticker in the bottom of case.

and that's the second reason to send back. I really don't know why everybody is trying to fix things where the warranty has been paid. If you like to play, buy from china directly, then you have in principle no warranty (as shippment costs are too high).

With an DOA item bought from germany, i would not care, the seller have to pay all costs.

After switching I can hear some type of switching relays inside of oscilloscope,  It is possible some of they do not work properly.

why everybody think "firmware bug" when simply connector or what so ever is not contacting after shippment?
This is not mobile phone, here are switches and relais :P So yes, you will hear something switching

Offline vmpn

« Reply #2057 on: October 18, 2013, 11:17:21 am »
Got my new DSO5062BM but now I am having some doubts I hope people can voice their opinions on. I am a very beginning hobbyist so I expect 1 channel and 60MHZ will last me for  good while.

Both the front panel and system info say that model is: DSO5062B (Notice lack of M). Sounds like I was sent the wrong model.

HW version is: 10070x555583e8 - Which if I understand is an old HW revision based on this thread. What is not quite clear to me is if there were actually improvements/fixes with later HW revisions, or it does not matter in practice.

SW version: 2.06.3 (130306.0)

In general, but should I be expecting a unit with SN > 15000 at this point in time.  Does new SoC fix any performance issues, or it is just EOL replacement part? My biggest concern is maintaining the device beyond its 3 year mfg warranty.

For the life of me I could have sworn there was a post saying how one can tell date of manufacturing from the serial #, but I cannot find it using neither google nor this forum's search.  Can someone give me a hint with the right term to search for. I don't mind doing the work just that no matter what I search for I cannot seem to find it. Maybe I read that info somewhere else after all

Thank you
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:30:23 am by vmpn »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2058 on: October 18, 2013, 12:11:26 pm »
Both the front panel and system info say that model is: DSO5062B (Notice lack of M). Sounds like I was sent the wrong model.

HW version is: 10070x555583e8 - Which if I understand is an old HW revision based on this thread. What is not quite clear to me is if there were actually improvements/fixes with later HW revisions, or it does not matter in practice.

SW version: 2.06.3 (130306.0)

In general, but should I be expecting a unit with SN > 15000 at this point in time.  Does new SoC fix any performance issues, or it is just EOL replacement part?

send it back, there are more than one reason why:

- hw version 1007 is EOL
- the 83e8 can NOT be BM or BMV model (the early BMV in beg. 2012 was already 83E9)
- the boot logo confirms the points above, BM/BMV is using different Linux and complettly different way of logo displaying than B model does, so there is no way that someone changed BM/BMV model to display B model logo (unless someone edited the executable which display the logo, but if then you can send it back anyway - new is new and not hacked etc.)
- when you get replacement unit ensure you have new hw (and sn > 15000), if not send it back. There is no reason to buy old stock (unless one wish to buy it, e.g. to save some money or what so ever).

Regards the EOL, yes, the S3C2440 SoC is EOL, this is why Hantek/Tekway changed the hardware. You can't get these ICs anymore from official chain. For sure they could have some spare boards, but i would not bet on that.

The new SoC is using faster memory, so this does have some performance improvement as well.

Offline vmpn

« Reply #2059 on: October 18, 2013, 12:39:45 pm »
Thank you for such prompt reply tinhead, and all your other work on these scopes.   Feels as close to open/repairable he/sw that one can get these days for hobby use

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2060 on: October 18, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »
After switching I can hear some type of switching relays inside of oscilloscope,  It is possible some of they do not work properly.

why everybody think "firmware bug" when simply connector or what so ever is not contacting after shippment?
This is not mobile phone, here are switches and relais :P So yes, you will hear something switching
[/quote]
Yes that was silly question but I tried to believe in the impossible   ;D
So the problem is in the power switch or power supply but most likely it is power switch because I successfully able to start oscilloscope two or 3 times, but after that is still died.
Thanks tinhead for yours suggestions.
Anyway the scop was sold as used but when I received its seemed like new with original screen protector on screen. I will return the scope and maybe after few months spending money I will buy another oscilloscope with better quality.

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2061 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:15 pm »
hi all you doing a great job here specially the master tinhead :D. my voltcraft dso1062d arrived yesterday from conrad.i think is a new rev soft and hard(the old 1062d has another configuration) if someone is interested i attach a screenshot here. I want to  thank all the contributors
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:27:54 pm by n8ddd »

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2062 on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:19 pm »
just applied the bw hack and is working fine 2ns. can't make it to work with the backup tool(for p models), 0xfe should i follow this guide?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free/msg267267/#msg267267
the dso has 1M of memory,thank you
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:31:09 pm by n8ddd »

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2063 on: October 25, 2013, 04:43:18 pm »
well well,just followed that guide.Now my dso after the boot logo just stay in a blue screen for 22 sec then reboot and again the boot logo and blue screen...some help,please :-\

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2064 on: October 26, 2013, 04:26:53 pm »
revived my dso,partiallly with
- connect over UART
- insert USB Stick with dso.exe  and wait until the stick will get mounted
- kill the DSO application by typing "killall dso.exe"
- copy over the dso.exe ( cp /mnt/dso.exe / )
- change file permission ( chmod 777 /dso.exe )
- test it by typing /dso.exe
in acquire mode can't change real-time or equ-time and memory depth too
in measure mode when pressing F0 nothing change(we must show all the measurements)
i don't know how to proceed further |O

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2065 on: October 26, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »
maybe you should write down what you did exactly to break the DSO, then i can think about what need to be restored to bringt it back.

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2066 on: October 26, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »
thanks Tinhead,first i've made this-thinking can make a backup after...-dso.exe from latest dso p update
cp /mnt/udisk/dso.exe /dso_update.exe
chmod 777 /dso_update.exe
sync
cp /mnt/udisk/English.lan /OurLanguages/English.lan
sync

- power cycle the DSO.
When power up the dso just have a blue screen and after 22 sec reboot itself.Then tried connected with uart and doing:
- connect over UART
- insert USB Stick with the  dso.exe  and wait until the stick will get mounted
- kill the DSO application by typing "killall dso.exe"
- copy over the dso.exe ( cp /mnt/dso.exe / )
- change file permission ( chmod 777 /dso.exe )
- test it by typing /dso.exe
at this point the dso is starting  then i realised that not operating well eg: f7 when pressed nothing showed on screen,in acquire mode can't changereal time or equ time with f1,and mem depth as well with f5, in measure mode it's showing the menu but pressing f0 nothing change
with 1khz probe connected and autoset  the sys status is showing 1.00MS/s
first of all i did change the bw from 60 to 200mhz with the usb tool

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2067 on: October 26, 2013, 06:14:04 pm »
and in ch1 menu can't change 20mhz bw with f2

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2068 on: October 26, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »
i saw the dso is looking for dso5kb* when trying to update or to use the backup tool .i've renamed the files but remain the password problem

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2069 on: October 27, 2013, 12:19:55 pm »
solved :) renamed the file dso5202b in root directory in dst1202b and copied the dso.exe (my original one that i backed it up early)in root dir too. is working fine now.for the backup tool i don't know how to proceed,yet...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:24:47 pm by n8ddd »

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2070 on: October 27, 2013, 02:40:19 pm »
so, the firmware 3.30.0(130709.0)  looks during update for dso5kb*.up file encrypted with dso5000b password ;)
i have problem running the backuptool
serial console message

dso5kb_backuptool.up
gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
dso5kb_backuptool.up.tar
dso5kb_backuptool.up/
dso5kb_backuptool.up/tekwayup_client/
dso5kb_backuptool.up/tekwayup_client/nanddump
dso5kb_backuptool.up/tekwayup_client/special
dso5kb_backuptool.up/tekwayup_client/update
dso5kb_backuptool.up/upend

and...nothing change,on the dso screen

firmware update failed error 0xfb
failed to decompress upgrade file!

The following users thanked this post: Badwater

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2071 on: October 27, 2013, 03:22:07 pm »
n8ddd,

honestly, why are you trying to use tool "designed" for different DSO on your? Why not simply copying files manually to usb flash drive?

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor
« Reply #2072 on: October 27, 2013, 03:49:55 pm »
ok,is any firmware update for my dso?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2073 on: October 27, 2013, 10:05:59 pm »
ok,is any firmware update for my dso?

probably the 3.30 which you had on org. DSO (or did you made copy of the dso.exe and language files before you started playing around? If so, zip these files and upload somwhere, i would like to get copy of them and /lib/firmware/* as well). I don't know any 3.xx fw for "B" models (or the Voltcraft DSO1062D), so you ws first with such hw/fw.

Offline n8ddd

• Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf