Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2815918 times)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11450 on: August 21, 2022, 06:52:00 pm »
I’ve never seen a case like that - nice find.  (Though in the case of the Fluke 25/27, it’s sort of like buying a protective case for your brick - those things can double as impact weapons!)  :-DD

-Pat

Yes, it does seem a bit of an overkill for such a rugged brick, it's kept it in excellent cosmetic condition though. I think it's the same case that was used for military use, there's an ebay seller in the UK selling them for £25 each - I only paid £30 for the meter, case and leads!

I don't think I'll be trying the 3m drop test... or dunking it in 3ft of water though.  ;)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11451 on: August 21, 2022, 09:41:55 pm »
WOW! a German WWII telegraph key in mint condition with very rare original German cable and plug.

I believe this key is 1942..1943 epoch as afterwards the materials  were scarce...

Think about what kind of msgs this piece transmitted!

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11452 on: August 21, 2022, 09:54:12 pm »
WOW! a German WWII telegraph key in mint condition with very rare original German cable and plug.

I believe this key is 1942..1943 epoch as afterwards the materials  were scarce...

Think about what kind of msgs this piece transmitted!

If only it could talk, eh?
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11453 on: August 22, 2022, 01:52:23 pm »
At the risk of being off topic, I bought myself a birthday present.  Today I am 90 years old and I bought a BMW.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11454 on: August 22, 2022, 02:00:26 pm »
At the risk of being off topic, I bought myself a birthday present.  Today I am 90 years old and I bought a BMW.

Wow, congratulations on reaching 90!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11455 on: August 22, 2022, 02:16:33 pm »
Motorbike?

Just kiddin'
Congrats!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11456 on: August 22, 2022, 07:06:39 pm »

Wow, congrats. What did you get?

I kind of did the same recently - not my birthday but my Fireblade isn't too comfy for long trips now so I figured it was time to bite the bullet and get a BMW bike.

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11457 on: August 24, 2022, 05:20:38 pm »
A pantec transitor tester as described here (not my site/photo's).

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11458 on: August 24, 2022, 06:00:46 pm »

Happy birthday! Do you want to share which BMW you bought?
goto considered awesome!

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11459 on: August 25, 2022, 03:10:34 am »
A double sided cutting mat and a long handle filbert.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11460 on: August 25, 2022, 06:13:28 pm »
Well some updates: my birthday was some weeks ago and my neighbour, who have a huge collection of model kits just offer me another thing to add to my hobbies (and the ever-growing lack of time):

These are Gunpla, basically model kits based in an old super robot anime/manga. Not only it is a huge franchise that had entries since the 70s but it is also one of the only where the realism is prevalent in the robots, since mechanically and functionality could be something that we in the future with the advance of technology could achieve as a race.

Plus I bought two things that were in my cart for a while:

Casio GShock GW-B5600HR. It wasn't my first choice, I wanted the GW-M5610U-1B that is similar in everything (Solar Charging and Atomic Clock sinc via radio frequency) but didn't had Bluetooth. But since I was able to get this one new, cheaper than the model I wanted, I could not say no to it.

Also since my old Felo Interchangeable VDE kit is going to be used exclusively at work, I bought this one since for years I've been wanting to give a go to Wera or Wiha:

Same as the Felo kit, but with 2 grips instead of 1 and a better variety of screwdriver shafts. Overall a good kit. I have some more stuff on the cart from Wera and Knipex (another brand that I see being thrown around here constantly but never had any product from them) that I want to try. And probably one more DMM (or 2 depending of how the deal goes) because you can't have enough measuring tools at your disposal.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 01:15:33 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11461 on: August 26, 2022, 09:12:30 am »
Casio GShock GW-B5600HR. It wasn't my first choice, I wanted the GW-M5610U-1B that is similar in everything (Solar Charging and Atomic Clock sinc via radio frequency) but didn't had Bluetooth. But since I was able to get this one new, cheaper than the model I wanted, I could not say no to it.

Nice square, I have the basic G5600 which just has solar. I sometimes have a problem with water ingress so I had to re-lube the gasket, they were strangely bone dry when I did it. Maybe I have a leak through the buttons too.

Sometime in the future I want the fancy made in Japan ones with a metal body and screw down case back.

You can find super cheap screen protectors for them. I'm clumsy and I manage to scratch up even my sapphire crystal watches lol.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11462 on: August 26, 2022, 11:07:56 am »

Nice square, I have the basic G5600 which just has solar. I sometimes have a problem with water ingress so I had to re-lube the gasket, they were strangely bone dry when I did it. Maybe I have a leak through the buttons too.

Strange that dry gaskets on this watches are not that uncommon, specially in new watches. I've been reading some reports on Reddit about it, like 2 to 3 times a month, mostly from modders who buy watches to modify.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11463 on: August 27, 2022, 09:36:53 am »
My ten years old Tomtom Urban Rider needed a new battery.
Unfortunately they used tamperproof hex screws (2mm) and Torx T6, so I bought this very nice
safety bit box set.

First I had a look at the cheaper chinese bit sets on amazon but often I found reviews from customers that
complained about the quality or missing/duplicated bits. Particularly they complained that the holes in the
tamperproof bits weren't centered. So I bought myself this one:

https://www.wolfcraft.com/products/wolfcraft/en/EUR/Products/Machine-Accessories/Bits/Bits/Solid-Bit-Sets/Safety-Bit-Box-for-Safety-Screws%2C-31-Pcs-/p/P_1386

Very nice quality.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:42:20 am by Karel »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11464 on: August 27, 2022, 10:15:18 am »
Wolfcraft was also the brand of (also) security bits I bought when I needed it, way back in 2006 to remove some security screws from the door security system of the Mazak CNC machines.

They still are the go to from what I can get in various places online.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11465 on: August 27, 2022, 10:21:20 am »
Some 40 years back I swung on one of these everyday and after a good year I need treat myself to one:

It's a chainsaw chain rivet breaker and spinner.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, oilburner

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11466 on: August 27, 2022, 01:31:06 pm »
Arrived today, a micsig dp10007 differential probe.
Looks nice build.

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11467 on: August 27, 2022, 02:11:50 pm »
Well some updates: my birthday was some weeks ago and my neighbour, who have a huge collection of model kits just offer me another thing to add to my hobbies (and the ever-growing lack of time):

These are Gunpla, basically model kits based in an old super robot anime/manga. Not only it is a huge franchise that had entries since the 70s but it is also one of the only where the realism is prevalent in the robots, since mechanically and functionality could be something that we in the future with the advance of technology could achieve as a race.

Plus I bought two things that were in my cart for a while:

Also since my old Felo Interchangeable VDE kit is going to be used exclusively at work, I bought this one since for years I've been wanting to give a go to Wera or Wiha:

Same as the Felo kit, but with 2 grips instead of 1 and a better variety of screwdriver shafts. Overall a good kit. I have some more stuff on the cart from Wera and Knipex (another brand that I see being thrown around here constantly but never had any product from them) that I want to try. And probably one more DMM (or 2 depending of how the deal goes) because you can't have enough measuring tools at your disposal.
couple of years ago, I got a Felo kit as a Christmas gift and absolutely love it.  Meets all my household needs.  How do you like the Wera?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11468 on: August 27, 2022, 03:15:56 pm »
GreyWolfe, is definitely different in the grips. At first use the grip was strange since I was used to the more cylindrical shape of the Felo. But with time it kinda turns more comfortable as soon you relearn how to grip it.

The handle locking mechanism is better than the Felo, there is less chance of pressing the button to release by mistake since the locking mechanism is on the top of the handle, surrounding the hole to slot the shafts.

The blade variety is better, with an extra Tork 25, a PZ1, imperial PZ #1 and #2 and 1 flat head 0.6*3,5 slim type for terminals.

Here's the contents of the kit:

Unfortunately the Wera misses the top knob you could put on the Felo shafts and turn into low torque, precision screwdriver.

I would gladly exchange one of the grips for a precision like one or for Wera to have one available since the case itself still have a slot available for another blade (that is the space of the voltage tester that is not included in this kit).

I also would see the elastic straps of the handles in the pouch to lose their force, compared to the metal box (my Felo kit is the old style with the metal box, while the new ones is a molded plastic case) with plastic holders of the Felo.

But in terms of use both are excellent kits. I would pick the cheapest one always, since both cost almost the same new. You can't get wrong with any of them.

Both are well constructed, have build quality and are VDE and IEC certified.

As I told I pick up the Wera not because I was dissatisfied with my Felo, but because I wanted to separate work from personal tools. The Felo is still going strong, 14 years after I bought it.

Although I need to send an email to Felo asking for quotation for a new grip and one PH2 blade, since both are starting to show some wear and tear.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:38:55 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #11469 on: August 27, 2022, 05:52:49 pm »
Faced with the prospect of desoldering all of the RAM chips (and a few custom chips which are harder to replace, Jameco still has the RAM chips available!) in the below, I have just bought one of these based on about how these desoldering irons work.

One concern is that these PCBs have very delicate (due to age) traces snaking between the pins on the top layer, so getting as much solder out and then using hot air to help lift the chip seems to be the best approach. Getting solder out has always been a bit hit-and-miss with the separate manual solder-sucker pump types, so I'm hoping the built-in vacuum pump will work a lot better. I really don't want to break those traces...

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11470 on: August 27, 2022, 10:23:43 pm »
Hi,
At work we use a Metcal desoldering station, connected to external airpressure.
No problems to desolder up to 6 layer boards, it´s very sensitive to the soldering pads - After all, the pcb looks like it ewas never used...
Other method when it´s clear the IC will be replaced:
Cut off the pins of the IC* which should be replaced, then heat the pads and take the pins out with a tweezer.
Then use a good desoldering pump (Soldapullt for example), without the IC pins it is much easier.

*) suitable tong will follow

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #11471 on: August 28, 2022, 12:37:44 am »
I'm just going to flat-out say that anything with the word 'Metcal' in it, is out of my budget :)

I used to work in R&D., we had an absolute marvel of a lab-manager(ess) who could solder sunlight onto the moon and remove it cleanly. The equipment there was all Metcal, and I was clearly told (as a software engineer) that I wasn't trusted to be within 4' of it :)

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11472 on: August 28, 2022, 09:30:50 am »
Used Metcal equipment is not that expensive assuming you take your time to wait for a nice-price unit. I mean the RF generator base station, e.g.  MX500 and a handle.

The soldertips are a bit pricey though.  Being the lucky b* I bought myself a life-lasting stock of new in box tips in Germany for about €3 a pop.  It is a box full, I admit to overstocking like a kid in a candy store..

Probable need to mention them in my Last Will  ::)

Wilko

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11473 on: August 28, 2022, 09:56:36 am »
I'm waiting for my chance to get one here in China at a good price. I've saw some but cosmetically looked like they had been through a earthquake and back.

Most I see being sold here are old equipment from factores that closed or got relocated, and most of them are cosmetically heavy used and with missing parts - most you can forget the hand piece.

I will get one, I want to see why it is so well talked by everyone who used one.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11474 on: August 28, 2022, 10:45:15 am »
Faced with the prospect of desoldering all of the RAM chips (and a few custom chips which are harder to replace, Jameco still has the RAM chips available!) in the below, I have just bought one of these based on about how these desoldering irons work.

One concern is that these PCBs have very delicate (due to age) traces snaking between the pins on the top layer, so getting as much solder out and then using hot air to help lift the chip seems to be the best approach. Getting solder out has always been a bit hit-and-miss with the separate manual solder-sucker pump types, so I'm hoping the built-in vacuum pump will work a lot better. I really don't want to break those traces...

When I am salvaging unobtainium chips from a PCB, I put a Bulldog* clip on the top side of the pins. It works great as a temporary heatsink and gives you a lot more time on each pin without having to worry that you are frying the silicon.

McBryce.

* For those who don't know what a Bulldog clip is: https://www.habercrafts.com/product/bulldog-clips-metal-paper-clip-binder-grip-clip-clamp-22mm-31mm-50mm-64mm-75mm/

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SpacedCowboy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf