Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801058 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #12725 on: December 16, 2023, 02:56:39 am »
I got a very similar model to that a while ago for a family member with a 120V food mixer.

By memory the wires inside were a bit dodgy (damaged insulation) so I touched a few bits up before handing it on to them.

Yep, indeed dodgy inside. But the biggest problem is how old the thing is, turns out mains hasn't been 110V in Canada for a long time. Oops. It's closer to 125! So the "220" output is more 250.
So that sucks. I have a Variac but now suddenly this setup is getting very large.
I just wanted a quick way to power European computers and peripherals. I think 250 is too high.
But that transformer is 40-50$ plus shipping so I'm still ahead if I just use it as a bookend!
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12726 on: December 16, 2023, 03:15:00 am »
I think 250 is too high
na youve got a whole 3 volts to spare.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12727 on: December 16, 2023, 08:43:01 am »
I just wanted a quick way to power European computers and peripherals. I think 250 is too high.
Technically, it's still within the 230V +- 10% tolerance.

But yeah, you don't generally want to run things at nearly the max allowed voltage, especially given that many devices state that "240V" is the max allowed (not that they'll fail at 241, again).

Those magnetic transformers are very nice (and have some weight in them, too), but these days, I guess, the default way to go is to use switch-mode transformers: AC115->low-volt-DC->AC230, using, unless otherwise is acceptable, a "pure sine wave" inverter for the output. It also has an added benefit of being able to power it using a battery.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12728 on: December 16, 2023, 05:16:11 pm »
Scicon Sports Aerotech Evolution X TSA
bicycle travel case  :o :o :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12729 on: December 16, 2023, 06:08:23 pm »

Import duties and VAT (if applicable) are set by the government.

set,  I agree - not collected  :palm:

I had two delivery attempts before I found the tax demand?

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12730 on: December 16, 2023, 09:26:37 pm »

Not cheap but impressive.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12731 on: December 17, 2023, 12:08:05 pm »

Not cheap but impressive.

480 euro brand new + 50 euro for accessories (axel adapters for vintage 80s hubs), perfect to transport a special bike by train and then by plane
It makes sense when it doesn't make sense to leave with just your suitcase and rent a bike on site  :o :o :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12732 on: December 17, 2023, 12:16:33 pm »
Now I have to hack the tag-bag to add a IR-tag!
This way I can recognize the suitcase as soon as it appears on the baggage carousel

I also have to have my data { name, surname, email, address, phone/whatsup, ... } engraved on a plastic plate, to be glued to the body of the suitcase, with the addition of two M3 screws. Just in case ... they lost their check-in etiquette ...

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12733 on: December 17, 2023, 03:23:12 pm »
I intentionally bought a couple of faulty hard disks,  512Gbyte Seagate Barracuda, with a level of failure that does not mean a totally unusable disk but a disk with several bad sectors, heads and everything else working perfectly.

I expressed this particular request to a seller who charged me 1 euro for both HDDs, and 14 euros for the time he took to perform the tests I requested of him on something like a dozen HDDs, selected from a basket of 100 HDDs to destroy.

moral of the story:
+01 euro for both the HDDs
+14 euro for his times
+15 euro S/H
--------------
=30 euro to have them at my house  :o :o :o

Super happy, these two defective HDDs are *exactly* what I need in order to perfection my userspace RAID without the need to model (in python, or in C) a faulty disk through a virtual HDD.

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #12734 on: December 17, 2023, 08:49:02 pm »
Nice. I have a QA product myself - a power supply (that is now off their catalog).

I didn't know they had power supply? Can you please share the model name? I wasn't able to find anything, even in their catalog of retired hardware: https://quantasylum.com/collections/retired-hardware .

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12735 on: December 18, 2023, 03:52:17 pm »
Those magnetic transformers are very nice (and have some weight in them, too), but these days, I guess, the default way to go is to use switch-mode transformers: AC115->low-volt-DC->AC230, using, unless otherwise is acceptable, a "pure sine wave" inverter for the output. It also has an added benefit of being able to power it using a battery.

Yeah I guess so but I just had to grab it when I saw it. Thrifting is a strange activity, it's like I'm a hungry seagull looking for french fries on the ground when I have steak at home.  :-//  :-DD
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12736 on: December 19, 2023, 12:38:09 am »
Nice. I have a QA product myself - a power supply (that is now off their catalog).

I didn't know they had power supply? Can you please share the model name? I wasn't able to find anything, even in their catalog of retired hardware: https://quantasylum.com/collections/retired-hardware .

Yes, I noticed it's not even in their official retired collection. Not sure why. I bought it when QA was just starting, I think. Maybe they're not proud of some early products, or maybe they don't want to mention them as it's a category they don't make products for anymore, so they don't want to be bothered by customers asking for them.

The power supply is a QA300. I was not even able to find any article on it on Google. That's odd. I swear I have one. ;D
(I can take a picture of it if anyone's curious.)
The supply's still working fine. It's a programmable low-noise supply, single channel, with USB connectivity (not powered by USB). I remember there was an issue with early versions, I had mine replaced because it tended to turn off the output by itself for no apparent reason, but they had sent me a replacement unit promptly, without me even having to send mine back, and the new unit's been working fine. The LCD display has oddly developed some burn-in over the years (I left it on for extended periods of time at some point), but otherwise still good.

Don't know, they probably decided that this wasn't a market for them.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12737 on: December 20, 2023, 02:09:25 am »
Picked this up while thrifting.
Did I need it? Nope. Not even sure I have a space for it. Didn't even get to test it, the AC outlet at the Renaissance/Goodwill was not working.
Clean, no rattling sounds, no broken parts or glass pouring out the vent holes, fuse still good.
I think this thing is what CRD calls a Beige Whale.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12738 on: December 20, 2023, 02:49:32 am »
That's how a real osciloscope looks like.

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12739 on: December 20, 2023, 03:45:15 am »
Powers up, there is a spot but not a trace, smells like an old baseboard heater. Opened it up, I never knew Heathkit got tubes marked for them!
This one's by General Electric, another one is a Mullard, "MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN", awesome.
Nice RCA 5UP1 CRT.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12740 on: December 20, 2023, 11:37:37 am »
An Agilent 4288A capacitance meter that reported an E15 error. I'm trying to fix it.   :-/O

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12741 on: December 20, 2023, 06:50:48 pm »
Concerning the Heathkit Scope:
Can you get a trace putting a sine wave on the Ext Inputs?

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12742 on: December 21, 2023, 01:25:05 am »
Concerning the Heathkit Scope:
Can you get a trace putting a sine wave on the Ext Inputs?

Oh yeah, fingers on X and Y inputs created a crappy oval. I want to clean the inside and check the Black Beauty/Bumblebees, and other capacitors, first.
This is a very simple scope, all the tubes seem low hours, and whoever put it together did a good job.

I think long-term, if I can find it in my crap, I'll connect my X-Y graphical clock board to it.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12743 on: December 21, 2023, 08:27:05 am »
bsudbrink is right! It is called »Feuerzange« - a utensil for preparing »Feuerzangenbowle«

»Feuerzangenbowle« is usually prepared in autumn / winter, when it is cold, wet and dark outside.

You take a pot, fill it with a dry red wine, season it with sliced oranges and lemon, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves, then warm it up on the stove (do not cook!).

The most important part: Invite a lot of friends!

Finally, when everyone is gathered around, take your »Feuerzange«, put it over the pot, place a »Zuckerhut« (sugar loaf, lit. "sugar hat") on top, pour some rum - at least 54% alc. (100° proof and above) and light the rum on fire. 80% rum will give you the best result in regard to caramelization of the sugar!
While the sugar slowly caramelizes and melts away, keep on pouring rum with a scoop if necessary, enjoy watching the flames and have a splendid time anticipating the finalization of the »Bowle« together with your friends.

When the sugar has completely melted away, fill into cups and pass it to your friends.

Fun fact: The »Zuckerhut« has been the defacto standard for trading sugar from medieval times up until the 19th / early 20th century.

this needs bump

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12744 on: December 21, 2023, 07:28:05 pm »
eBay + work bonus = I just bought a Beamex TC303 Thermocouple Test Set.

Already found the manuals, just need to find a spec sheet.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 07:36:33 pm by mendip_discovery »
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12745 on: December 22, 2023, 01:56:50 pm »
An Agilent 4288A capacitance meter that reported an E15 error. I'm trying to fix it.   :-/O

It's fixed! An LT1129-3.3 LDO (U152) was damaged and DigiKey was asking for over A$10 each. I built a replacement using the LM1117-ADJ I had on hand and it works perfectly now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 05:44:22 am by gamalot »

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, thm_w, Mortymore, BILLPOD

Offline w.v.s.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12746 on: December 22, 2023, 06:49:16 pm »

It's fixed! An LT1129-3.3 LDO was damaged and DigiKey was asking for over A$10 each. I built a replacement using the LM1117-ADJ I had on hand and it works perfectly now.
Congratutions!

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

Offline Dan_8123

• Contributor
« Reply #12747 on: December 22, 2023, 10:10:28 pm »
A used Keysight EL34143A but I have to wait 6 more days to get it delivered  |O

Offline Smoky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12748 on: December 22, 2023, 11:34:29 pm »
Still going through boxes of stuff my friend gave away during his move a couple of weeks ago :phew:

Here are two huge 6v batteries that weigh an absolute ton!

What the heck to do with them :-//

Hell, I still have a Delta woodworking bandsaw sitting in the middle of my kitchen :scared:

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12749 on: December 23, 2023, 04:52:49 pm »
Here are two huge 6v batteries that weigh an absolute ton!
What the heck to do with them :-//

I'm sure someone with an RV, boat, or golf cart would be interested in them.

The following users thanked this post: Smoky

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf