Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306746 times)

Online Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2013, 11:12:25 pm »
I have to get a Scopemobile.

:)

Offline prenato

• Regular Contributor
    • paulorenato.com
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »
I have to get a Scopemobile.

:)

They are quite handy for the heavier analog scopes. Just got that one last week for $75 at ebay, including shipping :)
Paulo
Professional Tinkerer,
www.paulorenato.com

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2013, 04:43:23 pm »
The best scope mobils are from HP, they can load much more then the Tek scope mobils.

Tek 556 on a HP

I am searching for the original scope mobile for this Tek, model = 205

greetings
Martin

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
Mainframe scopes are one of the coolest looking piece of equipment.
I don't need one.  I don't really have the room for one.  But I want one.
I should totally just pick up a guaranteed not working unit on the cheap and stick it in the corner for the fung-shuie.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #304 on: January 21, 2013, 07:30:28 pm »
Mine lives in a box, just because it is so long and bulky.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #305 on: January 21, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
I got 3 tekmobiles. One under my 547, that is the beautifull Scope-mobile that was designed in 1949 by Dick Rhiger to carry the Tek 511. There is a picture on this page, http://www.acms.org.au/museum/tektronix/tektronix.shtml ( I still must make one from my own ) a 201A for my 7704 and a 205 as a spare
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #306 on: January 21, 2013, 07:35:46 pm »
Mainframe scopes are one of the coolest looking piece of equipment.
I don't need one.  I don't really have the room for one.  But I want one.
I should totally just pick up a guaranteed not working unit on the cheap and stick it in the corner for the fung-shuie.

Or fix it and then put it in the corner.  ;)
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2013, 08:28:01 pm »
The problem is I don't know what I would realistically use it for besides looking cool.
But you are right.  I'd have to get a REALLY broken one or it would bother me till I fixed it.  Too bad it wouldn't make a very good fish tank.

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:50 am »
My current science desk, as it is called:

Offline smackaay

• Regular Contributor
    • Steve's Junk
« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2013, 03:42:18 am »
After 5 years I still don't have tons of equipment but it works.

Come see my boring site - http://smackaay.com/

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2013, 03:44:11 am »
Here's two of my desks. The first one is where I typically troubleshoot. The second one is where I typically build. There are several other places on this floor but they are not that interesting, mostly piles of 7000 plugins and extra oscilloscopes.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #311 on: March 06, 2013, 02:23:04 pm »
I just finished up building a servo drive for the spindle on my Monarch 10ee lathe.  After cleaning up after that project, I took a pic of my bench while you can actually see it.  I'm currently in a trailer so space is pretty limited, leading to the stacking.  I have a lot of other equipment stashed around the trailer that I don't use that often or is small and portable due to the lack of space on the bench.  It also pretty much limits me to 1 project at a time.  I've always been a big Tek fan and have gathered up a few 7000 series scopes all fitted with different plugins so I don't have to swap them out often.  The 7844 dual beam scope is my favorite and  the one I normally use, but swapped around the curve tracer setup from the 7704 when I had a bunch of transistors to go thru.  I custom made the adapter in the 7CT1N so I could quickly switch between 2 transistors to make matching a lot easier.  No Rigol here ;), and the obligitory Fluke 87V is on my bench at work along with a Hantek DSO-1200.  The soldering/desoldering equipment is on an old CRT monitor arm which keeps it above the usual piles of stuff on the bench and is easily retracted and swung out of the way when not in use.  My tools, components and misc. junk I've accumulated are also stashed all over the trailer and in a nearby storage unit I rent.  Clearly, I currently live alone ;D

For the fellow ham operators, my HF rig is an Icom 756 Pro II controlled via Ham Radio Deluxe feeding a National NCL-2000 into the Ameritron ATR-30.  I'm currently using an MFJ-1796 vertical covering 40-6 meters.  Sadly, no room for 80 meters here  :(.  For VHF/UHF operation I've got a Yaesu FT-7800 feeding an MFJ-1768 2m/70cm beam.

For the machinists on the forum, here's a pic of the spindle drive guts and control box:

It's based on a Mitsubishi 3.5kw MR-H general purpose servo drive and HC-SF 3k motor.  I've incorporated independent forward/reverse speeds and prox. switches for ELSR stops.  Many thanks to Macona on the Practical Machinist board for the inspiration.

I also have a small lathe, drill press, 4x6 bandsaw, drill grinder, tool & cutter grinder, and pedestal grinder in one of the bedrooms:

There's a couple of semi-trailer doors on the floor to protect the carpet, distribute the weight, and make moving things around a lot easier.  My main shop is down at my brother's farm about an hour away so this allows me to get some stuff done while I'm at home.

73's
de W9OM

Marc -
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2013, 03:22:51 pm »
@ Marc M.

Welcome fellow machinist, very nice setup there  :-+.  I post a fair amount of electronics related machining stuff on here you may find interesting.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »

It took me a few months to rearange and reconnect everything.
All instruments are now grouped and more ergonomic placed

The calibrators

RF stuff, SA, 2x VNA, curvetracer, signal generator, noise analyser, counters and above that standard resistors, a 7,5 digit meter to monitor the calibrators behind the Tek 547 and some scope calibrators

My small museum
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:31:59 pm by PA4TIM »
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse

Offline hammil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
Holy shitballs

That's your own personal lab?

I have a couple of scopes, a DMM and a dozen computers.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #315 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48:57 am »
Holy shitballs

I don't even know what that means and I agree.  :) That is a hell of a lab.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2013, 02:32:46 am »
A lab like that can be quite dangerous. It's easy to go without food or water for too long without realizing it and to lose consciousness.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2013, 03:13:11 am »
A lab like that can be quite dangerous. It's easy to go without food or water for too long without realizing it and to lose consciousness.

I wouldn't care if they find me dead in a lab like that.

Would make for a decent eulogy: "He died doing what he loved"

Rather than the more likely obituary..

"He died doing a Chinese hooker."

Anyway....

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: K0ELB

Offline nadona

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #318 on: March 10, 2013, 04:02:33 am »

I wouldn't care if they find me dead in a lab like that.

Would make for a decent eulogy: "He died doing what he loved"

Rather than the more likely obituary..

"He died doing a Chinese hooker."

Anyway....
:-DD :-DD :-DD
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #319 on: March 10, 2013, 06:46:59 am »
Way to make a lot of use out of a small space.  The thing that cracks me up about that much equipment are all the power strips.  I know as I accumulate gear in my home lab, I keep on having to add more and more nested power strips to plug everything in.  Never-mind the fact that they all ultimately go back to just one 20A socket :)  It's starting to look like those old Christmas light cable horror stories  :)

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #320 on: March 10, 2013, 01:55:55 pm »
i can't really compete with you guys, but anyways here's my tinker-corner. I'll have to expand it soon though. I still have quite a bit of gear on my to buy list and i'm running out of space.

PS.: I thought about putting away the teacup, but then figured, that would make it unauthentic. Same goes for cleaning up to much.
Is there a way to embed the attached pictures into the post?
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #321 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »
"Tinker-corner". I like it  :-+

PS.: I thought about putting away the teacup, but then figured, that would make it unauthentic. Same goes for cleaning up to much.

Mine's like that too. My workbench was last "clean" when I built it. Now, a cup of day-old coffee and a random pile of components, wire bits and "what the hell is this probe connected to" is the norm.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »
Way to make a lot of use out of a small space.  The thing that cracks me up about that much equipment are all the power strips.  I know as I accumulate gear in my home lab, I keep on having to add more and more nested power strips to plug everything in.  Never-mind the fact that they all ultimately go back to just one 20A socket :)  It's starting to look like those old Christmas light cable horror stories  :)

All those contacts on the ceiling are divided over 6 wall sockets. The rail on the ceiling is using 2 wall sockets. The first 6 and last 4 are permanent on for ovenised things or for intance a battery charger.

The rest of that rail is switchable by 2 switches in the middle next to the switch that turns on the lights. There is a 2X battery back and on one is a led with LDR that switches on at night or if I make a mistake and the fuse goes out and I have to put a way somethinkg like my solderiron and find my way in the dark (i am disabled and since i hurt my self in such a case while falling over stuff on the ground a friend made this small smps current source feed ledlamp for me because he had just made one for himself also after falling. I made the LDR detector for it.) there is a surge arrester on that ceiling powerrail.

The calibrators are on their own wallsocket through a heavy duty splitter with surgearrester ( professional thing that ( in 1988, in my first job) we sold for protecting expensive computer gear.
The standards that are permanent on ( a 10V homebuild, a 10V Fluke, timestandards ect are behind a UPS, the Guildline cabinet has a small 12V battery that is charged by a small solarpannel charger.

The RF gear is on the other wall socket and also has a cetral switch. The last wall socket feeds a heavy duty splitter with 2.5 mm^2 cable. I use that to power up things like the 547 or a current hungry thing while testing/repairing.

There are two variacs ( 6 and 8A) one i build in a 19" cabinet next to my desk. It also has an isolation transformer and switchable series lightbulb. ( and a 0-1200VDC powersupply) on my desk is a Tek 6901 isoltator and ground fault and detector. Still looking for a manual of that. I use both to flood the thing that is under repair.

Behind the instruments are some more powersplitters.

Do not forget it is a lot of gear but it is never powered up all at the same time. Most times when repairing or building /testing cuircuits just a few multimeters, one or two scopes and often a bridge or a generator. Most gear does not use very much power.

Offline opablo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #323 on: March 10, 2013, 07:47:37 pm »
[...]
The rest of that rail is switchable by 2 switches in the middle next to the switch that turns on the lights. There is a 2X battery back and on one is a led with LDR that switches on at night or if I make a mistake and the fuse goes out and I have to put a way somethinkg like my solderiron and find my way in the dark (i am disabled and since i hurt my self in such a case while falling over stuff on the ground a friend made this small smps current source feed ledlamp for me because he had just made one for himself also after falling. I made the LDR detector for it.) there is a surge arrester on that ceiling powerrail.
[...]

PA4TIM your lab got me drooling !!  http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/pets/files/import/39954-dogdrool.jpg

I'm sorry to hear you have a disability; what kind is it ?

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #324 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:30 pm »
Very nice setup gents.

Here is my messy old stuff

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf