Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 456736 times)

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2020, 08:54:35 pm »
Egg cartons, muffin tins, and similar informal fixtures were common when sorting the components out of a bag to assemble a Heathkit.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2020, 12:39:10 am »
I've used all sorts of recycled containers for various things, what's wrong with it? I could afford to buy new containers but why do that when I've already got something I can use? If you want to be wasteful and throw something away then buy something else just so the peanut gallery doesn't think that you're ghetto then go right ahead, I'll continue to use what I already have when possible. Egg cartons aren't good for long term storage, but they work great when you need to temporarily organize the pieces of something. I mean why buy a storage cabinet every time I need to take something apart if I can pull an egg carton out of the recycle bin and use that? I frequently reuse prescription pill bottles too, they're great for keeping screws and other small parts together while I'm waiting for parts I need to show up.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2020, 06:52:03 am »
One of my big tech related pet peeves is the fact that so many products require you to have an account and register it now days, and rely on outside servers to even work.  Game consoles, phones, practically anything that has a phone app such as drones, action cams, home auytomation etc... there is zero reason why an app can't rely only on wifi to work, and be stand alone.   I know WHY they do it (to spy on you) but I absolutely hate it.  I have a bad feeling we are going to see this being the norm with cars too.  Tesla already does it.   Overall it's just happening everywhere and I absolutely hate it.

Agree 100% -  I simply don't buy those products unless I'm absolutely forced to.  There are usually alternatives, if you look hard enough.  Instead of buying a new car that spies on you, buy a used Corvette or Porsche that doesn't!  -  All round winner!  :D

The issue is often you don't now of this until AFTER you buy it.  And sometimes there really is no alternative. Like with phones.  There's basically Apple, and Android.  Both require you to have an account and tie it to the cloud.  There is zero technical reason for that, I should be able to use the phone as a stand alone device and the only "account" should be with the provider, for the actual cell service.  Everything else is just a computer.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Sredni, E-Design

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2020, 02:49:58 pm »
I should be able to use the phone as a stand alone device

Fairly sure you can do that with Android (can't check since all my phones are already enslaved). Indeed, with some you cannot access, for instance, the Play store even if you wanted to. Can you recall what stops you just putting a SIM in and making a call?

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2020, 03:04:25 pm »
I've used all sorts of recycled containers for various things, what's wrong with it? I could afford to buy new containers but why do that when I've already got something I can use? If you want to be wasteful and throw something away then buy something else just so the peanut gallery doesn't think that you're ghetto then go right ahead, I'll continue to use what I already have when possible. Egg cartons aren't good for long term storage, but they work great when you need to temporarily organize the pieces of something. I mean why buy a storage cabinet every time I need to take something apart if I can pull an egg carton out of the recycle bin and use that? I frequently reuse prescription pill bottles too, they're great for keeping screws and other small parts together while I'm waiting for parts I need to show up.

There is of course, nothing wrong with this practice.

I guess for me, its a little OCD and a little of the right tool (or container) for the job. Sure you *CAN* use egg cartons to hold parts but I like proper container for the particular parts. You can sometimes use coins as a screwdriver too. Re purposing plastic bottles is a little less ghetto.. pet peeves are very subjective..

Each to their own!  :-+
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2020, 06:40:56 pm »

Fairly sure you can do that with Android (can't check since all my phones are already enslaved). Indeed, with some you cannot access, for instance, the Play store even if you wanted to. Can you recall what stops you just putting a SIM in and making a call?

When you first turn on a phone for the first time, one of the first things it wants is a google account.  There is no way around this, well nothing easy anyway.  I'm sure people who are deeply into phones like rooting etc might be able to bypass that process.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2020, 07:04:38 pm »
In that case don't buy a smart phone,dumb phones are still available regardless of what the salesbod tries to tell you.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2020, 07:22:22 pm »
In that case don't buy a smart phone,dumb phones are still available regardless of what the salesbod tries to tell you.

I absolutely HATE arguments like that.  No, I want a smart phone, but I don't want all the other crap like spying or being forced to make an account. Is that so hard to ask for?  There is no technical reason for all the other crap.    I hate people who just say "Well don't buy it" when it comes to any product that comes with "frills" that are unwanted.  No, how about they actually make it the way we want.  THAT is how it should work.

As a side note my phone recently got hacked and I realized they split up security updates from regular updates, I had been getting regular updates but not security updates since they purposely stop those to force you to buy another phone.   So I actually DID start looking at dumb phones for fun, but there is really not much.   I want something that has a full keyboard (touch screen or physical works), and a good camera that compares to a smart phone camera.   But there is not much as far as that goes.

At one point there was an Ubuntu based phone called Open Moko, wish there were more options like that.  These are proper stand alone devices that don't need to tie into any sort of cloud or require any kind of account to use.   

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2020, 07:56:03 pm »

When you first turn on a phone for the first time, one of the first things it wants is a google account.  There is no way around this, well nothing easy anyway.  I'm sure people who are deeply into phones like rooting etc might be able to bypass that process.

I use a disposable email address, that I then don't ever bother monitoring or reading again.

Offline pwlps

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2020, 08:30:19 pm »
People propagating myths about Tesla's supposed secret and forbidden free energy technologies.  It really upsets me seeing this poor man being credited with inventing most of this kind of BS.   

The following users thanked this post: Ivy-Jane

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2020, 01:32:11 am »

It depends on the phone.  Stock Android you can run without a google account, but a lot of the manufacturers add on their own UI front end and setup apps that require it.  So you have to search out the phones with the least manufacturer addons.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2020, 06:27:26 am »

I guess for me, its a little OCD and a little of the right tool (or container) for the job. Sure you *CAN* use egg cartons to hold parts but I like proper container for the particular parts. You can sometimes use coins as a screwdriver too. Re purposing plastic bottles is a little less ghetto.. pet peeves are very subjective..

But if you're taking apart a laptop for example and this is something you do only on occasion when you need to upgrade or repair it, does it make sense to go out and buy some kind of storage container to keep track of the hardware until you have it back together then have a random container sitting around? Or just use an egg carton, sort the bits into it, then throw it away when you're finished with it. We're not talking long term storage of inventory or someone whose job involves repairing laptops or similar devices every day, the idea is to fulfill a temporary need.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2020, 11:18:09 am »
When you fill out a web form, leaving it nicely formatted, spaces, paragraphs etc, and when it's submitted, it turns into a single wall of text

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2020, 11:25:31 am »

But if you're taking apart a laptop for example and this is something you do only on occasion when you need to upgrade or repair it, does it make sense to go out and buy some kind of storage container to keep track of the hardware until you have it back together then have a random container sitting around? Or just use an egg carton, sort the bits into it, then throw it away when you're finished with it. We're not talking long term storage of inventory or someone whose job involves repairing laptops or similar devices every day, the idea is to fulfill a temporary need.

Well, I do take things apart on occasion as well, so yes it does make sense for me to buy a little parts tray that I keep around for exactly that purpose. Its not like its very much cost. I could have used egg cartons, but I chose to use something a little more suitable. Since it holds electronic components occasionally, it is also ESD safe, and durable. Again, right tool / container for the job. No point to discussing the views of each opinion - like I said, there is nothing wrong with it and your view is perfectly legit. - but for me, too many pill bottles, egg cartons, peanut butter jars etc.. Im sorry, I say it looks ghetto. Sounds like that's not what you do, but some people do. Its not for me, It just an opinion.
 :-+
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:30:29 am by E-Design »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2020, 11:26:37 am »
When you fill out a web form, leaving it nicely formatted, spaces, paragraphs etc, and when it's submitted, it turns into a single wall of text

Yes! This.

Also, on a similar note, when you have to go back to the page and of course, it has wiped out all your information and you have to re fill in EVERYTHING. Ughh!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:28:41 am by E-Design »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2020, 11:39:49 am »
it has wiped out all your information

For Firefox there is an addon - Textarea Cache - that keeps a copy of any text boxes you've filled in. If you do lose stuff due to a refresh or whatever, a copy of the lost content is a click away.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, E-Design

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2020, 09:48:03 pm »
Websites that have pictures of a product with the enlarge button, you click it and the same size image appears in a new window :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SeanB, KeepItSimpleStupid, Cubdriver, HobGoblyn

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2020, 10:03:17 pm »
Websites that have pictures of a product with the enlarge button, you click it and the same size image appears in a new window :palm:

I've seen sites that have this "feature" and when you click the enlarge button a smaller image pops up.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2020, 10:15:07 pm »

Yes! This.

Also, on a similar note, when you have to go back to the page and of course, it has wiped out all your information and you have to re fill in EVERYTHING. Ughh!

My keyboard had this back/forward button right on the palm rest area.  Been burned so many times by my hand, or cat's paw accidentally hitting back and losing everything.  There is probably a way to disable that in the OS but did not want to be bothered trying to figure out how to do that in Linux so I just ripped out the buttons with pliers and filled the hole with caulking lol.  I always prefer hardware fixes, they are permanent even between reinstalls. :P

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2020, 10:18:49 pm »
To add another pet peeve of mine... sites that are suppose to be selling a product, but yet don't have any option to shop, see prices, or buy.  I think this is more a Canada thing because I find plenty of American sites willing to sell me whatever I am looking for but it's so hard to find sites here where I can actually shop, see the product, and buy.   When I was trying to buy solar panels for example it was like pulling teeth.  I see so many Facebook ads that are the same, they refuse to tell you pricing.   If someone asks they are just asked to contact them.  What is the point of advertising a product or service if you're not willing to disclose the price?

I even got a flyer in the mail once for prefab steel buildings.  Given I want to eventually buy off grid property I got curious and went through it.  Not a single price mentioned.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2020, 10:34:38 pm »

I've seen sites that have this "feature" and when you click the enlarge button a smaller image pops up.
:-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2020, 01:05:48 am »
To add another pet peeve of mine... sites that are suppose to be selling a product, but yet don't have any option to shop, see prices, or buy.  I think this is more a Canada thing because I find plenty of American sites willing to sell me whatever I am looking for but it's so hard to find sites here where I can actually shop, see the product, and buy.   When I was trying to buy solar panels for example it was like pulling teeth.  I see so many Facebook ads that are the same, they refuse to tell you pricing.   If someone asks they are just asked to contact them.  What is the point of advertising a product or service if you're not willing to disclose the price?

I even got a flyer in the mail once for prefab steel buildings.  Given I want to eventually buy off grid property I got curious and went through it.  Not a single price mentioned.

My assumption is that if they won't show me the price, they're asking too much, I leave and look elsewhere.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2020, 02:01:58 am »

My assumption is that if they won't show me the price, they're asking too much, I leave and look elsewhere.

If you have to ask how much, you prolly can't afford it.

;)
iratus parum formica

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2020, 02:31:10 am »

If you have to ask how much, you prolly can't afford it.

;)

Yeah that's pretty much what I go by too.  If they refuse the show the price I will just assume it's overpriced and move on. 

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2020, 03:43:45 am »

Car sales yards where the used cars have signs attached to their windshields, which, instead of having the price, just say "for sale".
Well, duhhh, fancy that! I thought it was just a parking area! :palm:

Or cars being sold privately on the side of the road, with no price, just a mobile phone number. |O

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Red Squirrel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf