Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 456835 times)

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #1875 on: April 19, 2022, 05:15:41 pm »
What other things are there?

I saw your post and wasn't planning to respond but I'm done with this POS set of calipers.   They use a single LR44.  There is no power switch and they run 24/7.   A battery will last maybe 6 months or so.  I go to use them and they are dead.  Peeves me right off.  Ran out of button batteries tonight, so I fit it with some AAs and a couple of Si diodes.
Had a mitotoyo micrometer,that was the same,stupid for an expensive piece of kit.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1876 on: April 21, 2022, 06:15:32 am »
The contraption that is the modern teleprompter. You've seen it. Where the asshat overlord reader sways from side to side trying (and failing) to convince the audience that there is no script. It's annoying. Why do they persist?
iratus parum formica

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1877 on: April 22, 2022, 01:00:55 pm »
Here we have a headline that reads:
Black hole 142 times heavier than the Sun discovered
and further along in the article we read
GW190521 weighs in at 142 times the mass of our Sun

https://alkhaleejtoday.co/international/5038560/Black-hole-142-times-heavier-than-the-Sun-discovered.html

Which is of course, plainly contradictory.
If it were 142 times heavier than our sun it would be 143 times the mass of our sun, not 142. This kind of thing seems to be popping up more and more lately.

What other things are there?

I agree with the O.P here.

Heavy is an adjective to describe mass or weight.
Heavier is a comparative adjective comparing the weight of one object to another.
Comparative also means relative (to).

If two objects have the same mass or weight (1kg) then one of the objects is 1 times as heavy as the other object. Neither object is heavier than the other. Therefore, each object is 0% heavier than the other object since they are the same mass.

If one of the objects has a mass of 1.5kg and the other object has a mass of 1kg then one of the objects is 1.5 times as heavy as the other object. Also, one of the objects is 50% (0.5 times) heavier than the other object.

If the two objects are the Sun (1 solar mass) and a photon (zero mass) then the photon is zero times as heavy as the Sun. Also, the photon is -100% (-1 times) heavier than the Sun.

Incidentally, the mass reported in the article by the O.P is 142 solar masses.
In another article, the reported mass is the remnant of a binary black hole merger whose total solar mass was 151 solar masses (rounded to 150 in the headline) prior to the merge.

The precise mass of the (intermediate-mass) black hole is  \$\ 142_{-16}^{+28} M_⊙ \$

https://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.125.101102
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:10:22 pm by timenutgoblin »

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1878 on: April 22, 2022, 03:53:14 pm »
I struggle with statements like "200% cheaper than the competition". That means when you select the item in question, they OWE YOU MONEY. But I have not been able to find who is actually distributing the cash!

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #1879 on: April 22, 2022, 03:57:57 pm »
Given the quoted uncertainty of the black hole's mass, 142 or 143 as heavy or heavier are all within the measured value.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1880 on: April 23, 2022, 01:16:32 am »
One of my latest gripes is how the poor silly Conspiracy Theorists are getting predated on by scammers selling "Faraday bags" to put their mobile phones in.
Their victims are already "away with the fairies", & pointing out that if the product really worked the mobile phone in the bag wouldn't work at all, so "why have a phone in the first place?", falls on deaf ears.
They think the scammers are their "friends", & believe the same nonsense they do!

If they really want to shield their phone into unusability, I have a bunch of empty 500g coffee cans I can supply free.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #1881 on: April 23, 2022, 06:32:43 am »
One of my latest gripes is how the poor silly Conspiracy Theorists are getting predated on by scammers selling "Faraday bags" to put their mobile phones in.
Their victims are already "away with the fairies", & pointing out that if the product really worked the mobile phone in the bag wouldn't work at all, so "why have a phone in the first place?", falls on deaf ears.
They think the scammers are their "friends", & believe the same nonsense they do!

If they really want to shield their phone into unusability, I have a bunch of empty 500g coffee cans I can supply free.

It is surprisingly complicated to build a good phone shield.

https://www.mattblaze.org/blog/faraday/

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1882 on: April 23, 2022, 07:05:46 am »
Just turn the bloody thing off?
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #1883 on: April 23, 2022, 10:17:49 am »

Did you read the article? Blaze is no noob, he knows what he's doing.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1884 on: April 23, 2022, 01:17:45 pm »

Many of the customers for such things think they have been injected with a microchip to either cause Covid, or to allow Bill Gates to control them, & somehow think that 5G is the method doing these dastardly deeds.

If, on the other hand, your problem is that you think your phone is spying on you to find out your secrets, put it in the toilet,(No, not "down" the toilet!), or the corner of your garage, or wrap it in sound insulating materals, as in your case, the radiation isn't the thing, it just needs to be prevented from seeing or hearing you.
If you don't want it to blab where you are going, leave it home.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1885 on: April 23, 2022, 02:43:43 pm »
Vegemite. The original would keep forever, even after the jar had been opened.
Some years ago the Vegemite brand was sold off. (I don't know to who or what.)

Now I notice (two instances) that Vegemite no longer lasts forever. It goes off, in a rather disgusting manner. Something changed in the formulation.

Much like the brand 'Pyrex', that used to mean high quality silica glass with near zero coefficient of thermal expansion, so Pyrex cookware could take sudden heat/cold shock without shattering.

'Pyrex' brand was sold to an Asian knock-off mob, who now make ordinary garden grade glass cookware and label it 'Pyrex.' Leading to lots of injuries when big glass pots full of very hot food, spontaneously shatter when taken out of ovens.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, james_s

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1886 on: April 23, 2022, 02:48:24 pm »
Vegemite. The original would keep forever, even after the jar had been opened.
Some years ago the Vegemite brand was sold off. (I don't know to who or what.)

Now I notice (two instances) that Vegemite no longer lasts forever. It goes off, in a rather disgusting manner. Something changed in the formulation.

Much like the brand 'Pyrex', that used to mean high quality silica glass with near zero coefficient of thermal expansion, so Pyrex cookware could take sudden heat/cold shock without shattering.

'Pyrex' brand was sold to an Asian knock-off mob, who now make ordinary garden grade glass cookware and label it 'Pyrex.' Leading to lots of injuries when big glass pots full of very hot food, spontaneously shatter when taken out of ovens.

Or "Golden Syrup". When I was a kid, it was highly refined from sugar cane & considerably lighter than Treacle, which, in turn, was lighter than Molasses.
Now, if you buy Golden Syrup, you get what used to be Treacle, & today's Treacle is very little refined over Molasses.

OK, it may even be healthier, but it doesn't taste the same on big slabs of German Rye.

Which brings me to another point, why is it so hard to find German Rye bread, these days?

And Cassatas! There was a place in what we now call "Northbridge" in Perth, which had the most delicious Cassatas, made on the premises, but they went out of business.

Years later there was a company called Benny's who made prepackaged Cassatas, & sold them at Supermarkets,
They weren't quite as nice as the former ones, but were still pretty good.

Now, they, too, have gone, & people's eyes glaze over if you ask for such a thing.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #1887 on: April 23, 2022, 03:14:42 pm »

Many of the customers for such things think they have been injected with a microchip to either cause Covid, or to allow Bill Gates to control them, & somehow think that 5G is the method doing these dastardly deeds.

The wackos I don't care about. There are valid cases for screening off a radio; especially since they're pretty good at not turning off when you tell them to.

If, on the other hand, your problem is that you think your phone is spying on you to find out your secrets, put it in the toilet,(No, not "down" the toilet!), or the corner of your garage, or wrap it in sound insulating materals, as in your case, the radiation isn't the thing, it just needs to be prevented from seeing or hearing you.

The problem is when you need to carry it but not want it to blab. Using it of course is out of the question, but logistics alone might dictate that you can't get to a deserted phone before you need it, after you've done your secret stuff. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1888 on: April 23, 2022, 05:47:37 pm »

That drives me nuts. Pyrex is still the colloquial term for borosilicate glass but it is also a brand that is slapped on junky soda-lime glass kitchenware. I know somebody that was very surprised to have a "Pyrex" pan shatter when it was hit by a drop of water.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1889 on: April 23, 2022, 07:49:44 pm »

That drives me nuts. Pyrex is still the colloquial term for borosilicate glass but it is also a brand that is slapped on junky soda-lime glass kitchenware. I know somebody that was very surprised to have a "Pyrex" pan shatter when it was hit by a drop of water.

Apparently, the use of the trademark "Pyrex" for kitchenware made from soda-lime glass, as well as the high-temperature borosilicate glass, goes back to the 1940s.
Corning still makes borosilicate glass for laboratory and technical uses, as well as competitors.  I believe Corning uses the trademark Pyrex on the chem-lab glassware.
With the bastardization of the trade name by others, it is wise to look for actual part numbers, such as Corning 33 and 51 that have reliable data sheets.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, james_s

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1890 on: April 23, 2022, 08:41:43 pm »
Peeve I just remembered from the past: Jurisdictions where they demand dual-language labeling so the product name is shown twice, even though the name is spelled EXACTLY THE SAME WAY in both languages. Just needlessly consumes label space. I've designed enough labels in my life to learn that printable space is a precious commodity. It's already stupid to have to label things in two languages, but to literally duplicate the same (usually large) information just piles on the stupidity.  |O  :wtf:  :rant:

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1891 on: April 23, 2022, 08:44:37 pm »
Is that an actual legal demand, or will they accept this format:
              PRODUCT NAME
Lang 1 description     Lang 2 description

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1892 on: April 23, 2022, 08:46:34 pm »
I don't know. I agree your format sure seems like the logical way to handle it, so when I've seen the duplication it made me believe it had to be statutory because otherwise why on earth would anyone do it?!?

No LOGICAL person would do it. But bureaucrats and politicians, well....

EDIT: Places I've seen this include Canada (English and French) and Southern California (English and Spanish). I may have seen it overseas too but can't recall specifically. Canada is especially militant about it so frankly I could easily believe they would insist on full standalone duplication. Especially in Quebec.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:49:28 pm by IDEngineer »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1893 on: April 23, 2022, 11:11:56 pm »

The wackos I don't care about. There are valid cases for screening off a radio; especially since they're pretty good at not turning off when you tell them to.

The problem is when you need to carry it but not want it to blab. Using it of course is out of the question, but logistics alone might dictate that you can't get to a deserted phone before you need it, after you've done your secret stuff.

If only there were a phone pre-fitted with the appropriate hardware kill switches.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/purism-librem-5-another-crowd-funding-fail/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 11:14:31 pm by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1894 on: April 24, 2022, 12:26:06 am »
I don't know. I agree your format sure seems like the logical way to handle it, so when I've seen the duplication it made me believe it had to be statutory because otherwise why on earth would anyone do it?!?

No LOGICAL person would do it. But bureaucrats and politicians, well....

EDIT: Places I've seen this include Canada (English and French) and Southern California (English and Spanish). I may have seen it overseas too but can't recall specifically. Canada is especially militant about it so frankly I could easily believe they would insist on full standalone duplication. Especially in Quebec.

It’s possible that the duplication you saw is due to a standard format adopted by a manufacturer who had other products where the term was different in the two languages.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1895 on: May 12, 2022, 04:07:54 am »
I may have whinged about this before, but a pet peeve is when people, usually on political discussion forums, but also quite often on Sports & other sites say:- "You, I, or they are bias"!

Obviously, they mean "biased", but don't seem to understand the difference.

I had an argument with a person recently on line, where he steadfastly defended his use of the term in such a sentence.
He certainly is not the only person who does this---I've seen it many times recently.
It ruins any point they are trying to make, by demonstrating that they are an ignoramus!

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, Cubdriver

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1896 on: May 12, 2022, 12:23:59 pm »
I may have whinged about this before, but a pet peeve is when people, usually on political discussion forums, but also quite often on Sports & other sites say:- "You, I, or they are bias"!

I had an argument with a person recently on line, where he steadfastly defended his use of the term in such a sentence.
He certainly is not the only person who does this---I've seen it many times recently.
It ruins any point they are trying to make, by demonstrating that they are an ignoramus!

Consider the possibility that they are propagandists - in which case the identification as bias would be accurate!  :D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1897 on: May 12, 2022, 01:59:05 pm »

Consider the possibility that they are propagandists - in which case the identification as bias would be accurate!  :D
But if they are a person, they cannot actually be bias---they can only display it.
Similarly, a transistor has bias applied to it, so can be said to be biased, but it cannot, in itself, be bias.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1898 on: May 12, 2022, 02:01:11 pm »
If people can choose their pronouns, why can't they change their adjectives?
Answer:  because other people won't understand them.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1899 on: May 13, 2022, 06:40:46 pm »
If people can choose their pronouns, why can't they change their adjectives?
Answer:  because other people won't understand them.

I'm Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf