Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2802083 times)

CatalinaWOW and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3300 on: June 10, 2017, 02:08:42 am »
I finally decided not to give any chances and bought all three volumes of LTC's Analog Circuit Design :) I surely hope many EEVBlog'ers can recognize front page photoart ;).

TiN, that pile of PCBs on Volume 2 does look familiar.  ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3301 on: June 10, 2017, 02:19:55 am »
For a decade or two, I have had a couple of the old, vintage Luxo lamps with the circular fluorescent lamp and the big 6 inch 150mm glass magnifying lens. From the Tektronix "Country Store" (surplus sales outlet). Pretty nice, but not portable at all.

But I just bought this gadget from Amazon.  Pretty nice.  I'm getting another one for my tool kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRJ5HU4

Nice, I've been using this handy little guy - it has flip out feet plus a big clip:

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3302 on: June 10, 2017, 02:33:26 am »
I got a Nicolet Sigma 30 oscilloscope.

That's a neat looking oscilloscope. Apparently those were made for high resolution measurements in physical and biological type applications. The fact that they made a version with "an enhanced magnetically shielded RF enclosure built to withstand extreme electrical and magnetic fields" may have something to do with the unusual placement of the inputs. I does kind of remind me of some kind of medical device.

I'd say you scored.  :-+

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3303 on: June 10, 2017, 02:39:37 am »
I don't see how it can work right with the spigots on the side.  :-//

Does the screen have a 3D view mode, with the traces arranged in perspective like they actually were coming from the BNCs?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3304 on: June 10, 2017, 02:54:39 am »
I don't see how it can work right with the spigots on the side.  :-//

Does the screen have a 3D view mode, with the traces arranged in perspective like they actually were coming from the BNCs?

If so, that would help yes.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3305 on: June 10, 2017, 03:35:02 am »
I got a Nicolet Sigma 30 oscilloscope.

That's a neat looking oscilloscope. Apparently those were made for high resolution measurements in physical and biological type applications. The fact that they made a version with "an enhanced magnetically shielded RF enclosure built to withstand extreme electrical and magnetic fields" may have something to do with the unusual placement of the inputs. I does kind of remind me of some kind of medical device.

I'd say you scored.  :-+

I'd say so too.  ;D . It can do 100uV/div and the measurements and analysis menus smokes everything I've seen in previous scopes. Got it with new probes and only paid for a couple of ADCs  ^-^

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3306 on: June 10, 2017, 03:54:58 am »
For a decade or two, I have had a couple of the old, vintage Luxo lamps with the circular fluorescent lamp and the big 6 inch 150mm glass magnifying lens. From the Tektronix "Country Store" (surplus sales outlet). Pretty nice, but not portable at all.

But I just bought this gadget from Amazon.  Pretty nice.  I'm getting another one for my tool kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRJ5HU4

Nice, I've been using this handy little guy - it has flip out feet plus a big clip:

I got one of those too. It's a piece of crap. The twp LEDs don't light the area you're looking at, and the 5x magnifier inset is in the way, of the already small main lens.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3307 on: June 10, 2017, 04:36:29 am »
I'm moving ALL my MCU/DSC projects to PSoC 5LP

smart move, did that long time ago after seeing how development times are reduced with the psoc creator and how one tool serves across psoc 1,3,4,5,....

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3308 on: June 10, 2017, 07:36:55 am »
I got one of those too. It's a piece of crap. The twp LEDs don't light the area you're looking at, and the 5x magnifier inset is in the way, of the already small main lens.

It's ok for quick checks of things, but for serious SMD soldering etc you are correct, it's crap. That's why I bought the big bench mounted 5x unit further back in this topic.  8)

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3309 on: June 10, 2017, 09:16:57 am »

It's ok for quick checks of things, but for serious SMD soldering etc you are correct, it's crap. That's why I bought the big bench mounted 5x unit further back in this topic.  8)

I suppose. I got one of those desk mounted ones too, glass lens and smd LEDs. It is clumsy like all desk magnifiers, but works pretty good. I think it was a little over $100.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3310 on: June 10, 2017, 10:00:48 am »

I suppose. I got one of those desk mounted ones too, glass lens and smd LEDs. It is clumsy like all desk magnifiers, but works pretty good. I think it was a little over $100.

I'd love a binocular microscope but so far out of my hobby budget it's not funny.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3311 on: June 10, 2017, 10:22:40 am »

I'd love a binocular microscope but so far out of my hobby budget it's not funny.

I know what you mean. I had a decent Nikon stereo microscope, my father in law borrowed it a few years ago, and really liked it, and now I'm too embarrassed to ask for it back, besides I took his daughter, seems like a more than fair exchange... I guess I'll  look on eBay for a microscope...     ;)

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3312 on: June 10, 2017, 10:56:28 am »

I know what you mean. I had a decent Nikon stereo microscope, my father in law borrowed it a few years ago, and really liked it, and now I'm too embarrassed to ask for it back, besides I took his daughter, seems like a more than fair exchange... I guess I'll  look on eBay for a microscope...     ;)

:-DD Brilliant, Thankfully my Wife's Dad and two step-dad's (complicated family) and my father all live in different states or countries so I dont have to worry about loaning them tools.

Although I do send my old man "computer care packages" every few years to keep his computer somewhat current - seems fair seeing as without him buying us a family PC in '87, I likely wouldn't be an ICT pro.  8)

Offline ICR9000

• Contributor
« Reply #3313 on: June 10, 2017, 01:11:42 pm »
On of these ---->    :-+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3314 on: June 10, 2017, 10:55:15 pm »
Although I do send my old man "computer care packages" every few years to keep his computer somewhat current - seems fair seeing as without him buying us a family PC in '87, I likely wouldn't be an ICT pro.  8)

Well said and nicely done. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3315 on: June 11, 2017, 08:00:38 am »
Two dev boards:

Orange Pi Win Plus: Allwinner A64: ARM Cortex-A53 MP4 @1GHz + ARM Mali-400 MP2, 2GB DDR3L-1600, Wi-Fi IEEE802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0, 1000BASE-T Ethernet, 4x USB 2.0 Host + 1x USB 2.0 OTG, 16MB SPI Flash (was 2MB before a hack)

Two Expressif ESP32-WROOM dev boards. Expressif is in Shanghai though.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3316 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:41 pm »
@TerraHertz, could you give us some background on its theory of operation? is it some kind of a tuned cavity/resonator?

Quote from: TerraHertz on 2017-06-08, 05:02:01>Quote from: technogeeky on 2017-06-07, 16:23:26>Quote from: TerraHertz on 2017-06-06, 04:15:19
A General Radio 900-TUA tuner.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3317 on: June 12, 2017, 12:15:02 am »
Agilent 7 GHz probe with single ended/differential head - now where do I get a 7 GHz scope for cheap?
VE7FM

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3318 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:59 am »
Agilent 7 GHz probe with single ended/differential head - now where do I get a 7 GHz scope for cheap?
Well, Keysight offers the really nice 6000X scopes for up to 6 GHz
I have the scope but unfortunately no 6 GHz probe

How much did you have to pay for the 7 GHz probe?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3319 on: June 12, 2017, 03:20:13 pm »
@TerraHertz, could you give us some background on its theory of operation? is it some kind of a tuned cavity/resonator?

Quote from: TerraHertz on 2017-06-08, 05:02:01>Quote from: technogeeky on 2017-06-07, 16:23:26>Quote from: TerraHertz on 2017-06-06, 04:15:19
A General Radio 900-TUA tuner.

OK, so here's the manual: http://everist.org/archives/scans/RAR-books/GR_900-TUA_RAR-book.jpg
I'd been meaning to scan this, thanks for reminding me to do it.
The other "GR_ " files in that folder are for related equipment.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline CharlieWorton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3320 on: June 13, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
A 'universal' 100 watt power supply, as pictured below.  It has a bunch of selectable voltages, up to 24 volts.  I'm using it as an expedient way to power the 365nm UV LEDs in a UV exposure box I'm building.  I've stuck a 3D image of the box down there as well.

But I have to admit, I'm rethinking my whole approach to making PCBs after looking at what CNC machines can do.  Less fuss, less bother, much better results.  I've built a few 3D printers, so it should be relatively straightforward to throw a light duty CNC machine together.  Or just buy one; there are several on AliExpress around the $300 bracket.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3321 on: June 13, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
A 'universal' 100 watt power supply, as pictured below.  It has a bunch of selectable voltages, up to 24 volts.  I'm using it as an expedient way to power the 365nm UV LEDs in a UV exposure box I'm building.  I've stuck a 3D image of the box down there as well.

But I have to admit, I'm rethinking my whole approach to making PCBs after looking at what CNC machines can do.  Less fuss, less bother, much better results.  I've built a few 3D printers, so it should be relatively straightforward to throw a light duty CNC machine together.  Or just buy one; there are several on AliExpress around the $300 bracket.

I'm quite intrigued by those CNC machines for DIY PCBs :)

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3322 on: June 13, 2017, 01:43:54 pm »
I've been using something similar for ages but without the arms etc, however it was only 2x and I found that not strong enough for SMD work. Then a mate showed me a nice much larger 5x unit on eBay for $42 shipped, so I just ordered it. Should make a huge difference.

Link please?

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #3323 on: June 13, 2017, 04:54:31 pm »
Dental picks. One place had a box full of used dental picks. Bough one of each model. They looked cleaned but I will clean with ultrasonic anyway. Good to have in the tool box.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3324 on: June 13, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »
I've been using something similar for ages but without the arms etc, however it was only 2x and I found that not strong enough for SMD work. Then a mate showed me a nice much larger 5x unit on eBay for $42 shipped, so I just ordered it. Should make a huge difference.

Link please?

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292050935354?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=591035332542&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ps, Im in Australia and this is a local seller.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf