Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 789674 times)

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #575 on: March 06, 2016, 09:58:53 pm »
Found this visit and tour of the 'Acoustic revive' factories:
http://www.stereotimes.com/comm112008AR.shtml
Beautiful milling and manufacturing photos starting from the second page.  Ignoring the crystal balls and claims it's interesting to peruse the pictures.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2016, 11:02:34 pm »
I wonder if they are trying to leverage their name  "AR" from the real (now defunct except for brand name) Acoustic Research company.

Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #577 on: March 09, 2016, 09:11:36 pm »
Found this visit and tour of the 'Acoustic revive' factories:
http://www.stereotimes.com/comm112008AR.shtml
Beautiful milling and manufacturing photos starting from the second page.  Ignoring the crystal balls and claims it's interesting to peruse the pictures.
Check the wall thickness, a WW2 light tank has less armour!
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #578 on: March 09, 2016, 10:12:33 pm »
Indeed. I've got a Clansman ATU here which is having the air variable caps stolen out of it. It's better built than that and I paid £20 for it :)

This one gets me:

"Acoustic Revive cables typically begin life using 6N Single-Core solid cabling. This cable then goes through a variety of processes that include a natural silk tubing that is said to decrease hardness which gives it an exceptionally smooth character."

It's about as credible as The Stig in Top Gear. Some say...

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #579 on: April 17, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
While reading an on-line "Esoteric Audiophile" magazine I stumbled on a very expensive speaker system made in Denmark.
I went to the manufacturer's site and discovered they build also amplifiers, and I had a revelation: every amplifier I designed and built in my 40 years of work are wrong:
See this http://www.gamutaudio.com/en-GB/Products/Electronics/Amplifiers/M250i-Mono-Power-Amplifier.aspx
And the reason is clearly explained:
The transistor is a great invention for amplification in general. It´s effective on power, energy consumption and production cost. So far, so good. The flipside of it is however that transistors do not carry the same sound characteristics as even if they are built together on the same day. So a powerful amplifier made with 32 transistors is more likely to sound like a choir than a single and clear voice.
To achieve the purity and clarity that our clients demand, we have come up with a very simple and very effective solution. We only use one transistor, but a very large one indeed. Using a single massive transistor allows us to tune them to sonic perfection and lay out a much simpler signal path. The transistors we use are massively expensive, but we think it´s worth it, and you might agree when you hear our amplifiers perform.

I was believing that negative feedback an current sharing between was enough, but I was wrong...
In any case, the transistors I'm using have a internal structure with dual emitters. Must I decide they are two transitors,  and put all my designs in the trash?

Best regards

Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #580 on: April 17, 2016, 12:49:13 pm »
But what if you want to play back a recording of a choir through this single transistor amp? Wouldn't this sound kind of one dimensional, missing out on many of the voices? Maybe the amps should be made with an array of switchable transistors, so you would be able to match them with the count of choir members?  :-//

Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #581 on: April 17, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »
But what if you want to play back a recording of a choir through this single transistor amp? Wouldn't this sound kind of one dimensional, missing out on many of the voices? Maybe the amps should be made with an array of switchable transistors, so you would be able to match them with the count of choir members?  :-//
A more profitable (for the manufacturer) solution can be a couple of amplifier and speaker for each of the choir's member.... :blah: :blah: :blah:
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #582 on: April 18, 2016, 11:33:22 am »
A more profitable (for the manufacturer) solution can be a couple of amplifier and speaker for each of the choir's member.... :blah: :blah: :blah:

It would probably be cheaper to employ the choir

Offline starphot

• Contributor
  • Astronomer
« Reply #583 on: April 19, 2016, 09:28:54 pm »

It would probably be cheaper to employ the choir
  Perhaps, you should start preaching to that "Choir".

Joe
Analog-Digital

Offline starphot

• Contributor
  • Astronomer
« Reply #584 on: April 19, 2016, 10:05:13 pm »
  Nice Topic. I am a senior and I get the telemarketing calls on my no-call line and on my cellphone. They target us especially. They know there is a senior or seniors working at these addresses using a demographic and census programs that they can glean money from us for worthless or even illegal services and products. I've been bombarded on those ads on my browser for getting more from Social Security. I clicked and patiently listened to this guy's *BLEEEEP* and after 3 minutes, I bailed. Turns out that he wants you to pay a fee for info that is supplied by the SSA for free. If I'm looking for googled info, If the info I'm looking for is not available after reading or listening to the audio or video for the first 30 seconds, I will look elsewhere. Get to the punchline! I will not listen to your crap for 15 minutes and I get the impertinent info in the end with no forward button available, I will bail! 
  I like Dave's EEVblog and others tear-downs of these cheap and often dangerous products I wouldn't buy anyway. This led me to this blog. Thanks, Dave!

Joe
Analog-Digital

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #585 on: April 20, 2016, 12:53:06 pm »
Sorry! Just found some hilariousness!

The The Radionics machine - the first comment is HILARIOUS!

I'll quote it below in case it vanishes at some point ;)

But before that: I introduce to you the Paul Sutlovich drinking game! Every time you spot something that he doesn't have a clue about; take a shot!

The survivors will mourn those lost.

I would like to see the actual circuitry of this device in a photo on this website. I do NOT believe this has just BARE components mounted in a box; circuits DO exist for radionics machines. They just do not need a power supply (similar to a crystal radio). If that is what you mean by finding "no circuit inside." Do I detect a little sci-medical prejudice?

They work using "subtle energy," the same found in faith healers, Buddhist monks, Indian gurus, religious contemplatives, remote viewers, hypnotists, shamans, witch doctors, etc. All PROVEN to be active in the same part of their brain via MRI scanning technology.
These share a similar base, are not fakery, but require the patient, operator (and machine - if used) to be in "synch" to propagate subtle energy waves. All things have a natural frequency and an energy field which emanates outwardly - that is open to reception.
(How do living creatures, existing separately, suddenly "decide" to congregate and migrate in a large herd, swarm, school, flock?)
Like Nicola Tesla found with Radiant Energy, this energy does not follow the inverse square laws of outer shell Electrons, as in our atomic industry, but are part of the subatomic structure of the atom, energy waves which do NOT diminish over distance.

The weakest signal can be transmitted by the brain and received by the brains of others, including animals. This amounts to remote healing, clairvoyance, remote viewing, or other forms of "instant knowledge" imparted "telepathically" for want of a common description, given universal knowledge from the Creator is open to downloading, in various ways, to heal, to inform, to bless, etc.

Not to be dismissed as medical quackery - which is outright, criminal, purposeful fraud. Chemotherapy and radiation might fit the description better than faith healing and radionics, sad to say.

This is Natural Healing, probably known since cave man and the druids in your nation.
The comments show ignorance of this scientifically valid form of healing and communication, though hidden, unpopular and despised by the money-medicine industry. Do some research before dismissing what is not obvious at first view. (Are the pyramids just piles of rock?) It is suppressed by all systems of money, so will not be found in the common media and science.

Ever had a family member across the globe, in dire trouble, and felt a sudden, unspoken, deep concern and empathy for them? (But not given to the whole family.) That was subtle energy transmitted from them to you - if you are a clean-living, open individual. One reason why the newly married and religious get these more often than laymen.

Long story.

Eds, Comment The box is most definitely empty?.
.......... paul sutlovich, Boulder/USA, 25th of March 2015

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #586 on: April 20, 2016, 01:17:28 pm »
That's some proper crack induced garbage! Hilarious!

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #587 on: April 20, 2016, 01:23:36 pm »
I'm just worried I might meet somebody at the same frequency as me and we'll collapse into an interference pattern...

Even worse, this one time I ended up at a resonant frequency with my boss and before we knew it we were both emitting photons every quarter wavelength. Talk about embarrassing!

You know, it would be pretty awesome if we could get one of these Radionic machines (specifically the ones with no circuitry inside) to Dave for mailbag monday and a five minute teardown ;)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #588 on: April 21, 2016, 01:39:00 am »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #589 on: April 21, 2016, 05:30:09 am »
Dang! I knew I should have double checked ;)

Still, that was one hellova quote from the Paul Sutlovich section ;)

Offline lincoln

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #590 on: June 03, 2016, 04:43:44 pm »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: June 04, 2016, 12:17:17 pm »
http://shieldheadwear.com/howitworks/

well at least it "works"

Did you notice the conductive sheet under the router to connect with the TFH* and provide a Faraday cage around the router? I assume they also provide a fetching head-to-toe combo to go with their TFHs.

*TFH=Tin Foil Hat

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #592 on: June 04, 2016, 12:58:22 pm »
And the truth is that there is no official evidence that signals cause something.

Well at least they got that part right ;)

Offline Connoiseur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #593 on: July 15, 2016, 12:59:55 pm »
What is the SI unit of BULLSHIT?   |O

If it has not been standardized, I feel that it's high time we should define and assign a unit for this quantity. ;D

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be.
Lecture on "Electrical Units of Measurement" (3 May 1883), By Lord Kelvin

Offline Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #594 on: July 15, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »
And what about Snake oil for hair growth  ::)  And it not so pricey

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #595 on: July 15, 2016, 02:26:33 pm »
I guess after finishing a bottle you will have as much hair as the snake in the picture.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #596 on: July 16, 2016, 09:27:56 am »
What is the SI unit of BULLSHIT?   |O

Generally accepted as Tonnes.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #597 on: July 16, 2016, 09:35:14 am »
I've most often seen it measured in Loads.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #598 on: July 16, 2016, 09:45:55 am »
I've most often seen it measured in Loads.

But there is a mathematical relationship there I am sure...
How many Tonnes in a Load?
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #599 on: July 16, 2016, 09:58:48 am »
How many Tonnes in a Load?
Are those Metric Bullshits or Imperial Bullshits?

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf