Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2309325 times)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4575 on: May 14, 2022, 11:12:14 am »
So many home labs are just full of more test equipment than seems usable.
Where as my lab is mostly full of production parts stock.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Bobson, bd139

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4576 on: May 14, 2022, 01:07:48 pm »
Depends what floats your boat, some people build their home labs up over decades and are into T&M (tits and muff Test and Measurement), experimentation, repair or electronics in general to support a radio or other hobby. Specifically to design, programming and assembly you have different requirements and repairing and servicing your own TE is also almost a hobby unto itself.

But you have a point, if you just brought a pile of stuff overnight for no particular reason you may have a compulsive problem that needs addressing. I don't personally get gear envy at all and it's a healthy place to be, but I'm also well setup to my specific needs and patient.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 01:24:20 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4577 on: May 14, 2022, 04:13:36 pm »
So many home labs are just full of more test equipment than seems usable.
Where as my lab is mostly full of production parts stock.

Perhaps your lab is set up to produce a specific product, so anything not aimed at that product is pretty pointless. A home lab may have seen vastly different things go through it over the years, so there could be a wider range of kit to suit. And I daresay some items would have been acquired for a specific purpose that hasn't cropped up again, or only get used every other year. For a production environment you'd probably hire the appropriate kit, whereas fixing up something off Ebay may be a lot cheaper.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4578 on: May 14, 2022, 08:53:38 pm »
Obviously Psi has not joined any TEA therapy group. However, there is always hope.

Psi, no insult intended, you are probably more sane that the rest.

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4579 on: May 27, 2022, 07:36:40 am »
I guess, I do fall into that category?! And sanity was never an option....

My special interest is (very) high frequency stuff, so things that go into the two or three digit GHz range. So black magic in general. :)
That again needs a lot of general support electronics and a lot of TE that has to be repaired. And the latter opens Pondora's box on what stuff you will need (spiler: everything!).

Edit:
Sorry for the rotated images. Neither my phone, nor my pc, nor Instagram has an issue with that, only this forum here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:41:54 am by DL8RI »

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, Shock, Kean, HighVoltage, Howardlong, 4cx10000, capt bullshot, exor, bd139, NA5B

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4580 on: May 27, 2022, 08:37:59 am »
That stack to the right of the monitor :o.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4581 on: June 12, 2022, 05:18:47 pm »
This is my desk in our attic.  I mostly do analog audio so can get by with basic gear like the cheapest model Picoscope.  I use the Scarlett Solo to measure distortion, and a tinySA to sniff-out oscillations (example in screen is from an opamp missing a bypass cap).  Soldering and construction are done in our garage 3-floors down.  I need the exercise anyway…

Jason

The following users thanked this post: exor

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4582 on: June 13, 2022, 02:04:27 pm »
Edit:
Sorry for the rotated images. Neither my phone, nor my pc, nor Instagram has an issue with that, only this forum here.

This happens, when people rely on "default settings", which is never good to accept, without having a closer look at all the settings manually; the picures are shown as if being rotated already, but in reality they are not!

As a linux user I don't say anything about windows' internal picture-software, which you probably use, as nothing is able to compete with the free XnViewMP-Software 1.0, where you have the option to do anything you like...

https://www.xnview.com/en/

XnView: uncheck "rotate pictures concerning EXIF-alignment"

ACDSee: uncheck "rotate JPEG- and TIFF-files automatically based on EXIF-alignment"

I always rotate my pictures myself, which is very easy to do with ACDSee on a windows PC or XnView on a windows and/or linux PC. With XnViewMP you are able to manipulate the settings the way, that it looks like an ACDSee-Clone, which is simply perfect - yes, it takes a while, but let me know, when you need some help to do so...  ;)

Cheers!  :)

The following users thanked this post: mcinque, jasonRF

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4583 on: June 13, 2022, 07:58:07 pm »
I guess, I do fall into that category?! And sanity was never an option....

My special interest is (very) high frequency stuff, so things that go into the two or three digit GHz range. So black magic in general. :)
That again needs a lot of general support electronics and a lot of TE that has to be repaired. And the latter opens Pondora's box on what stuff you will need (spiler: everything!).

Edit:

Is that a B&K 2425 AC voltmeter I see on the shelf there? I have a one of those been in my repair queue since 1999. It's finally in bits on the bench: the negative power supply is u/s, but I need to trace the circuit out to progress further. B&K notoriously never provide circuit diagrams
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 09:08:33 pm by nfmax »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4584 on: June 13, 2022, 08:59:08 pm »

You can look at images,  and rotate them, and crop them, in the Microsoft Paint app, which is extremely easy to use.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4585 on: June 13, 2022, 09:08:34 pm »
It is a jpg. Just let it open on Microsoft photo viewer that is in Windows by default and rotate it. Not necessary to have any special software at all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 09:12:08 pm by andy3055 »

The following users thanked this post: TiN, xrunner, mcinque, 4cx10000, NA5B

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4586 on: June 13, 2022, 09:13:12 pm »
Very impressive stuff you got there!

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4587 on: June 14, 2022, 04:17:18 pm »
When I have posted from my computer the images have always been correct, but somehow I screwed it up when I posted from my phone and they came out sideways.   Given my technology skills, I should move photos to the computer and post from there in the future.

Jason

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4588 on: June 14, 2022, 08:43:50 pm »
When I have posted from my computer the images have always been correct, but somehow I screwed it up when I posted from my phone and they came out sideways.   Given my technology skills, I should move photos to the computer and post from there in the future.

Jason
I do but primarily to put them through an editor to reduce their size as a nod to times when we had slow internet that some poor souls might still have.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4589 on: June 14, 2022, 09:30:21 pm »
To note, jpeg rotation is a shit show. There's a rotation metadata chunk which some software respects and some doesn't at edit time and view time. When you rotate stuff, some software actually rotates the image pixels and some just changes the metadata. This leads to all sorts of non-determinism and having to hold your laptop like a retard just to work something out  :-DD

Offline purfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4590 on: July 25, 2022, 07:51:05 pm »
Here's a shot of part of my home lab while I'm in the process of rearranging things.  Highlights not shown in the picture include some LPKF equipment, Universal Laser Systems CO2 laser cutter/engraver, Faxitron DX-50 X-Ray, and Haas OM-2A CNC mill.

The following users thanked this post: daqq, Zucca, Kean, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #4591 on: July 26, 2022, 02:28:49 am »
Faxitron DX-50 X-Ray, you bastard!  :-*
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: purfield

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4592 on: July 30, 2022, 07:34:50 pm »
To note, jpeg rotation is a shit show. There's a rotation metadata chunk which some software respects and some doesn't at edit time and view time. When you rotate stuff, some software actually rotates the image pixels and some just changes the metadata. This leads to all sorts of non-determinism and having to hold your laptop like a retard just to work something out  :-DD
In general image file metadata is a shit show.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4593 on: September 14, 2022, 12:46:16 am »
I tweak my setup every once and a while. The stack is a bit narrower now, so easier to reach the instruments on RHS. I Added the BK9130 triple power supply and the 3 vertical power outlets to fill the gap adjacent to the two DC loads

I'm going to part with the two B&K instruments on top; DC supply and load (more than 3 DC loads might be encroaching on TEA territory);-)

The mess on the bench on the RHS mostly out of view

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, trophosphere, Kean, 4cx10000, richnormand, capt bullshot, exor, bd139, NA5B

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4594 on: September 14, 2022, 04:11:04 pm »
only some test gear displayed (different location)
33120a 34401a WSD80 WS80 4328a pm5770 fluke1507 34970a fluke80k40

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4595 on: September 17, 2022, 04:24:18 pm »
OK, I can't resist...  Here is a montage.

Everything works (almost all of it repaired/restored by me).  Obviously, most of it is left unplugged and unused until I really need it.  Everything is accessible from the rear for power and cable attachments.  As one gets closer to my little work area (bottom center of photo), that's where the frequently used pieces are.  Approximately 45 things are permanently plugged into AC power, but obviously I dare not turn them all on at once!

Believe it or not, all of this fits in a relatively small corner of my basement.  Have fun identifying all of the pieces from the photo - I'll bet a lot of you have many of them too.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bd139

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4596 on: September 28, 2022, 02:22:53 pm »
Is there a monthly prize for the most messy work-bench/lab?

I took these because, enough is enough.  I've started sneezing and I've be joined by a few small flies, suggesting the rule about "no organics in the bin" has been broken!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4597 on: September 28, 2022, 02:24:02 pm »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline zitoune

• Contributor
« Reply #4598 on: October 02, 2022, 07:56:47 am »
Hello,

Some picts of my little bench.

1604779-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
1604785-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
1604791-2" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 08:02:29 am by zitoune »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, trophosphere, 4cx10000, BU508A, Mortymore, exor, Detlev

Offline Voltage

« Reply #4599 on: October 04, 2022, 04:49:37 pm »
Noob here, I just finished building a double decker electronics work bench and was going to build the simple little stand to put all my test equipment into. I have all new stuff in boxes and waited until my last purchase so I have all the dimensions so now I can start. Of course after finding this topic I had to register as there are so many options which is of course, messing with my plans a little. I think I will just do the small bookshelf approach for starters as I m somewhat a noob and my projects will be more hobbyist in nature. I have a Rigol DS1104Z-S Plus 100 MHz Digital Oscilloscope, an OWON XDM5031 DVM, and a  couple of DC power supplies (one switching, one linear) so far as the rest is soldering equipment and a trinocular scope. The bench is 32" deep and the lower layer is for electronics and the upper for 3D printing. I added a pegboard on the bottom layer but some of it will be covered by parts bins etc. The bench is so big (8 feet long) that I can't even get the whole thing in a pic from the doorway walking into the ex-garage. Here is a pic of where I am at: It was a lot of work and it weighs in at a ton :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 04:51:18 pm by Voltage »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf