Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1101201 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Unfortunately when I checked the data saved on a USB stick (CSV format) it was 8 bit quantized even when it had been taken in HiRes mode.  I don't know about data transfered directly to the PC via USB or Ethernet (say using Marmad's program).

Unfortunately, I believe the HighRes mode is only used to generate the display from the sample memory - I don't think it's ever actually saved anywhere as 12-bit. Originally, because the SCPI command set has a special command to transfer samples in WORD format, I thought that it would be possible to get the 12-bit data out of the DSO. But I did some testing transferring the sample memory in both Normal and HighRes modes (as BYTE and WORD) - and it was exactly the same.

BTW, I did pass on to Rigol (via Drieg) that it would be nice to use the WORD command in order to get the 12-bit data out of the DSO.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hi

I think one has to do the hires in PC. Perhaps one can find a better algorithm as boxcar.
In PC you have more processing power and more time.
Hires is a kind of low-pass filter.  Perhaps I have soon time to introduce me in digital filter.

Best Regards
egonotto

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Ha, ha  ;D  When I just sent my DS2000 a SCPI command to make the DSO enter Logic Analyzer (LA) mode, it responded with the following message:

Offline TP

• Contributor
Hi

I think one has to do the hires in PC. Perhaps one can find a better algorithm as boxcar.
In PC you have more processing power and more time.
Hires is a kind of low-pass filter.  Perhaps I have soon time to introduce me in digital filter.

Best Regards
egonotto

Sorry, I misunderstood you.  Yes you can post process via a boxcar averaging to get more resolution; I've done it successfully.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Ha, ha  ;D  When I just sent my DS2000 a SCPI command to make the DSO enter Logic Analyzer (LA) mode, it responded with the following message:

Yes, i have tried also lots of AWG variables, you can write to and read back...
fun, but nothing you can use for something.... :-[

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor

Hang ups...

I had so far with the new software two hang ups, when i used the horizontal trigger
knob. To scroll left and right on 5 nSec timebase.

Could not reproduce it yet, turn it off and on again, everything was oke again.

Anyone who has same ...??

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
It's quite a few while ago that I had a test device of the Rigol, so I'm not up to date about the latest firmware. Is there a new firmware by the time available?
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I had so far with the new software two hang ups, when i used the horizontal trigger
knob. To scroll left and right on 5 nSec timebase.

Could not reproduce it yet, turn it off and on again, everything was oke again.

Anyone who has same ...??

Yes!! I had EXACTLY the same thing - two hangups requiring reboot while using horizontal trigger knob at 5ns timebase - and I also couldn't repeat it. How strange! Also, the second time it hung, the frequency counter was running - and everything froze (all buttons - waveform display) EXCEPT the frequency counter, which continued to function normally.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Rigol DS2000 micro-bug:  :)

1) If you scroll through Type on the Trigger Menu, you will see that three triggers (Pattern, Delay, Duration) cause the sample frequency to be cut in half (like turning on a second channel). This - by itself - may not be a bug - since those triggers can use a second channel as source (although they don't have to), so perhaps Rigol prepares the sample speed for two-channels. Anyway, select one of these triggers (e.g. in the images, I selected Pattern).

2) Go to Acquire Menu and select MemDepth -> 7kPoints.

3) Go back to Trigger Menu and select Type -> Edge.

4) Go back to Acquire Menu and select MemDepth -> an Easter Egg appears on the menu.

5) Select the Egg.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:09:01 am by marmad »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
What's the *.trc??
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
I think you need to be a button sniper or something to be able to select the *.trc :)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I think you need to be a button sniper or something to be able to select the *.trc :)

Really? You couldn't select it? I could, and it played the attached message. I just assumed it had something to do with Rigol or China's manufacturing industry and Western countries, etc.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:07:18 pm by marmad »

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
Really? You couldn't select it? I could, and it played the attached message. I just assumed it had something to do with China's manufacturing industry and Western countries.
[/quote]

No marmad, I couldn't select it. I did get the *.trc show up however once the curser approached it, it would disappear :(

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
 :wtf: :-DD

Offline TP

• Contributor
Doesn't work on my DS2072 either (original FW).  It does have an anomaly: where your's shows "*.trc" I get an up arrow, but it changes back into "14MPts" by itself before I can click it.  After trying multiple times, with the scope in multiple states, it doesn't even do that anymore.

I don't understand what you mean by playing the mp3.  I didn't realize it even had a speaker??

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I don't understand what you mean by playing the mp3.  I didn't realize it even had a speaker??

Play it and you'll understand.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
It's Imperial March from Star Wars.
I don't know what's funny with that.  :-// :-//

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
Probably empire strikes back symbolic stuff about future market domination. They also use Chinese warlords figures on online marketing.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
Play it and you'll understand.

What FW are you using marmad?

I'm on v.01.00.00.03 and whilst I can get the *.trc to show up, selecting it is not possible as it just disappears once the cursor approaches it.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Yes, *.trc is there but it disappears, if I rotate the multipurpose knob.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Well, Korean cars were not good in 1980s. But today things changed. This Hyundai is quite popular in Czech Republic. And they even launched a car factory in Czech Republic. http://www.hyundai-motor.cz/
Rigol might be a top class brand in year 2023 or so.
 :-+

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
'*.trc' is not an 'Easter Egg'-like symbol.
It's not selectable.
The DSO can't play mp3 files.
Rigol wouldn't use well-known, copyrighted music.

Joke, guys - joke. Sheesh.... although I have to say, I had a good laugh yesterday thinking of some of you frantically trying to select the unselectable.  ;D

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Rigol might be a top class brand in year 2023 or so.

Well, just comparing DS2000 to DSOX2000, Rigol is already a top-brand - since the DS2000 is a much better DSO.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:57:06 pm by marmad »

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
'*.trc' is not an 'Easter Egg'-like symbol.
It's not selectable.
The DSO can't play mp3 files.
Rigol wouldn't use well-known, copyrighted music.

Joke, guys - joke. Sheesh.... although I have to say, I had a good laugh yesterday thinking of some of you frantically trying to select the unselectable.  ;D

Geez... And to think I trusted you. You little tinker :D

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Rigol is already a top-brand - since the DS2000 is a much better DSO.
Well, OK.  ^-^ If you need a long memory + segmented memory with about 65000 frames or so, you must choose Rigol. And 0,5mV/div might be also useful.
DS2000-S will be definitely better (hardware) than DSOX2000. But when will it appear at www.silcon.cz ??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf