Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1101259 times)

Offline devitrify

Marmad and Teneyes

From both of your posts, I have a much better idea of what is going on now .  The Agilent video was especially helpful to me in clearly showing the difference between the basic methods of "averaging" samples and "high resolution mode", and I understand most of your discussion and supporting docs.

Thanks!

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
(Again, this is something being done ON sample memory in it's transformation to display memory (and the screen). You won't be able to save this except as the 1400 bytes of display memory.) = I'm not sure about this, as explained by my edit below.
It matches my experiences outlined earlier in this thread. The scope retains the original 8-bit values in sample memory and can switch between high-res and normal without acquiring a new waveform.  Anti-Alias also seems to be done during transformation from sample to display.
I am but an egg

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
It matches my experiences outlined earlier in this thread. The scope retains the original 8-bit values in sample memory and can switch between high-res and normal without acquiring a new waveform.  Anti-Alias also seems to be done during transformation from sample to display.

Yes, you can notice the effect of High-Res averaging (and reducing) the sample points quite vividly when stopped and in Dot display. Attached are two images at 200ns; while switching between Normal and High-Res modes.

It works while stopped to 100ns/div - and then, at 50ns/div, there is no noticeable change in the sample points when switching modes - and then, at <= 20ns/div, High-Res actually starts adding extra sample points (like interpolation) - shown in the second set of images.

Offline bluesmoke

• Contributor
Hello all... going to take the plunge on a DS2072. Looks like the only place in the US to get a good deal is Tequipment but they are out of stock. Did anyone recently place an order and how quickly did they get the scope?  New to electronics.. but it seems this is a good starting scope to play around with. I have a Tek 465b but I guess I won't use that much when I get my hands on the Rigol. Seems a great group of people here!
Dave

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hello all... going to take the plunge on a DS2072. Looks like the only place in the US to get a good deal is Tequipment but they are out of stock. Did anyone recently place an order and how quickly did they get the scope?

Welcome, Dave! Yes, there seems to be a shortage of DS2072s everywhere, which seems to be a bit of an error in Rigol's planning. I suppose they have been tooling up for the switch to -S models and they didn't anticipate the recent uptick in demand.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hi-res works best when the scan rate is such that there are Extra samples. (20 Sa/s  ;D)

One thing interesting to note: the DS2000 has 192MB (DDR2) of acquisition memory. The most, as a user, that you can directly use is 113,792,000 bytes (e.g. 14k x 8128 frames) - which leaves well over 64MB which is only accessed by the acquire hardware.

I suspect that, normally, the FPGA which moves samples from the ADC is alternating captures to two different banks of 64MB acquire memory (except when in record mode). This would explain why sometimes when the DSO is stopped - and I switch the acquisition mode to Average - it averages the waveform without capturing anything new! Where would it get another waveform(s) to average the currently displayed waveform from - if not another bank of memory? However, this doesn't always work - sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't - based on parameters that are unclear to me.

Offline CodyShaw

• Contributor
    • My Blog!
Hey Dave, I just ordered a DS2072 from TEquipment (2 days ago), there currently is a lead time of 2 weeks. They are taking all orders as pre-orders that will be charged in 2 weeks when they get stock. Make sure to mention the EEVBlog when getting a quote to get a bit of a discount!

Lucky for you, TEquipment also ships the scope for free in the US. I'm ordering mine to Canada, 80$ shipping + Duty fees :(

Hello all... going to take the plunge on a DS2072. Looks like the only place in the US to get a good deal is Tequipment but they are out of stock. Did anyone recently place an order and how quickly did they get the scope?  New to electronics.. but it seems this is a good starting scope to play around with. I have a Tek 465b but I guess I won't use that much when I get my hands on the Rigol. Seems a great group of people here!
Dave
Candidate for Bachelor of Applied Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Sept. 2011 – Present
3A Electrical Engineering

Offline bluesmoke

• Contributor
Just ordered from TEquipment ... they were kind enough to give a discount and free shipping but the lead time is 3 - 5 weeks. Looks like it is back to using the crusty Tek 465b for now!

Marmad: I want to thank you (and Dave) for your excellent reviews that clinched the purchase. I'm sure you are responsible for a lot of purchases. Rigol should be showering with free stuff!

Cody: Thanks for that. Those shipping costs are a pain. I would have considered a nice trip to the US  :)

Dave

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
The manufacturer discontinued the free trial option? Is this true?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:36:49 am by Carrington »
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
The manufacturer discontinued the free trial option?
said who?

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
The manufacturer discontinued the free trial option?
said who?
Aidetek (a ebay dealer), told me so. Could it be true?  :o
Space Weather.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Does Aidetek do the self-Cal ?  OOPS ;)
I have no idea, I'll have to ask him.
Space Weather.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

I haven't heard this directly - but I notice that it isn't advertised anymore at Batronix (and I'm fairly sure it was listed on the pages before). Also it wouldn't surprise me, since members here are posting openly on how to reset the trial minutes (and I know Rigol follows the forum).

It makes sense in a way - the new models (-S) are coming out, so there is a depleted stock everywhere with an increase in demand - a perfect time to do it if they were planning it.

Edit: I don't see trial options listed in the Tequipment ads either. Does someone who bought from them in the past know if it used to be mentioned? Teneyes?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:55:38 am by marmad »

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor

I haven't heard this directly - but I notice that it isn't advertised anymore at Batronix (and I'm fairly sure it was listed on the pages before). Also it wouldn't surprise me, since members here are posting openly on how to reset the trial minutes (and I know Rigol follows the forum).

It makes sense in a way - the new models (-S) are coming out, so there is a depleted stock everywhere with an increase in demand - a perfect time to do it if they were planning it.

Yes, you're right. Let's see if someone can confirm.
Space Weather.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Poll, What will the price point be for the DS2072-S ?
 $999 ?, $1199? ........

Prices from Rigol's China website (translated to USD +3%):
DS2202      $2,310 / DS2102     $1,640 / DS2072     $1,138
DS2202-S  $2,642 / DS2102-S  $1,972 / DS2072-S  $1,470

Obviously, the prices don't match Western prices exactly - but they seem to be asking +~$330.

Offline van-c

• Regular Contributor
Dave

Hi Dave,
I placed an order with TEquipment back on June 4.  It hasn't shipped yet, but I knew going in that they were on back order.  The last update I got said that my order would ship June 21.  If that is true, then this might be a good time for you to order, assuming they'll receive enough stock to go around.

Good luck,
--Van

Offline bluesmoke

• Contributor
Thanks Van,
I get an estimate date of 6/21 too on the order. I guess we will have to see how accurate it is.
I'm not too happy though if they are removing the trial options, it would be nice to try those out.  :--
I'll contact them Monday and see what I can find out.
Dave

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
Hi Dave,
I placed an order with TEquipment back on June 4.  It hasn't shipped yet, but I knew going in that they were on back order.  The last update I got said that my order would ship June 21.  If that is true, then this might be a good time for you to order, assuming they'll receive enough stock to go around.

Good luck,
--Van

I spoke to TE about the DS2072 on April 25th, and at time they told me 4-6 weeks.  Rigol's website also said 4-6 weeks until it ships. Well, that was over 7 weeks ago and neither have gotten stock - I've been periodically checking in with each.

I hope yours comes in, but there is definitely something going on.  Maybe Rigol has paused production while working on the -S model?  I don't believe it's due to the positive reviews on this scope, because lots of Euro sellers have had stock coming in no problem.  They are just out of stock everywhere in the USA and have been for 2 months. 

If Rigol is going to charge +$330 USD for the -S option, that seems to be not worth the money, considering you can buy their standalone DG1000 for $50 more. 
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
I spoke to TE about the DS2072 on April 25th, and at time they told me 4-6 weeks.  Rigol's website also said 4-6 weeks until it ships. Well, that was over 7 weeks ago and neither have gotten stock - I've been periodically checking in with each.
Judging from the other comments on this thread of people ordering (and receiving) theirs, it seems like the units that get to RigolNA immediately fulfill backorders, so there's never any standing stock. 
I am but an egg

Offline mrbrown

I received my DS2072 from Batronix 2 days ago, it has got trial options.  :)

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
[eBay Aidetek and DS2000 series without the free trial option]

I received my DS2072 from Batronix 2 days ago, it has got trial options:)

Good to know, I still expect a response from Aidetek. Thanks mrbrown.  8)
Space Weather.

Offline mrubbert

• Contributor
I will NOT buy anything from aidetek again !
Asked 3 times about firmware version and upgrade without any answer.
They still dident pay back my promised 80$ .
Aidetek are going total oposit way then other dealers, removing things instead of adding.

Lucky that i dident buy my DS2072 over there.
Its written many times where to buy DS2000.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
I will NOT buy anything from aidetek again !
Asked 3 times about firmware version and upgrade without any answer.
They still dident pay back my promised 80$ .
Aidetek are going total oposit way then other dealers, removing things instead of adding.

Lucky that i dident buy my DS2072 over there.
Its written many times where to buy DS2000.

I have also had some problems with Aidetek. And no returns allowed.
I do not recommend it.
Space Weather.

Offline van-c

• Regular Contributor
Thanks Van,
I get an estimate date of 6/21 too on the order. I guess we will have to see how accurate it is.
I'm not too happy though if they are removing the trial options, it would be nice to try those out.  :--
I'll contact them Monday and see what I can find out.
Dave

Although some folks have speculated on whether TE was still advertising the trial options, their webiste still lists it as having the trials for the SD-DS2 (serial data decode) :
SD-DS2     Serial data decode-RS-232, I2C, and SPI decoding (trial license comes with all DS2000 units)

That is based on their current page for the DS2072, http://www.tequipment.net/RigolDS2072.html.  I used the WayBack Machine to look over past versions of the TE web ads but didn't find any trial option mentioned besides the SD-DS2 as far back as September, 2012.  But there was not very much web crawler activity on the TE web site, so if promotion of other DS2072 trial options was made, it didn't get recorded by the crawlers.

I'm just keeping fingers crossed that mine will actually ship by the 21st.  I'm also hoping I don't regret not getting the higher BW version.

--Van

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Then, the current does not have these trial options?
Space Weather.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf