Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1101247 times)

Offline eastonwolfs

• Contributor
Hi guys,

First post, so hope this is relevant and appropriate! Further to the discussion on high resolution mode, etc, I just wanted to mention that there's a good youtube video by this chap called called Alan who (I think) works for Tek.  He does (IMO) a very good job of discussing acquisition modes and explaining the differences between them, as well as elucidating upon the overall data processing path from signal input to display. The link to the video is below.

Regards,  Will.

Offline jedreg

• Contributor
Can anyone help me a little with getting 01.00.05 firmware? I have 01.00.02 FW and 1.1.0.0 HW. I assume it is one GEL file applicable for all world regions, isn't it?Rigol support has sent me recent 01.00.00.03 which I do not want use (for some obvious reason with "trial" keyword in it).

By the way, shame on Rigol support for disclaimer I have received:
"Please be  aware a firmware update is on your own risk. If a firmware update goes fail, in some cases the instrument doesn’t work anymore. If repair cost come up, because of a failed firmware update, these cost have to be took over by you."
The sold me DSO that does not work as expected, because of firmware defects, so this is should be resolved as part of warranty umbrella. Sounds like another reason to not flash recent firmware :P

Marmad, Teneyes, thank you once more for PM support!

cheers,
andy | http://amichalec.net
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:22:32 pm by jedreg »

Offline trackerj123

First of all I want to say hello to everybody, as a new joined user to this amazing forum!

Was looking around for a new scope and ...my god...this thread is delicious :D

I was just finished it to-date, after 2 loong nights and what can I say...who can give me a good European source for a Rigol DS2XXX series one? :). Probably only a DS2072, depending on final price + VAT + shipping, etc. Batronix is out of stock now. Anyone around who is selling them?

Thank you all and as soon as I have it you will know!

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Can anyone help me a little with getting 01.00.05 firmware? I have 01.00.02 FW and 1.1.0.0 HW. I assume it is one GEL file applicable for all world regions, isn't it?Rigol support has sent me recent 01.00.00.03 which I do not want use (for some obvious reason with "trial" keyword in it).

01.00.05 Firmware

http://rapidshare.com/files/2813177036/DS2000Update.GEL

I'm not sure what you mean about trials and 01.00.00.03 - they work fine with it. I personally think 01.00.00.03 is better - almost all bugs fixed (with one addition).

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I was just finished it to-date, after 2 loong nights and what can I say...who can give me a good European source for a Rigol DS2XXX series one? :). Probably only a DS2072, depending on final price + VAT + shipping, etc. Batronix is out of stock now. Anyone around who is selling them?

Check directly via PM or email with EEVBlog member Drieg = Petr Šmíd (smidp321@gmail.com www.silcon.cz) Rigol distributor in CZ. I don't know what his stock in, but you might be able to get a deal from him.

Offline laavu

I just unboxed my DS2072, which I ordered from Batronix. And yes, there's a warranty sticker on these scopes now.

Offline trackerj123

Thank you marmad,

I will PM Drieg about then.

PS: nice piece of software your one, looking forward to test it live :)

Offline XaS

• Contributor
Mine (purchased in April in Switzerland) also had a warranty sticker. It is no problem to lift it up gently so that you can open the scope with anyone noticing. BUT: On my scope, the heads of the screws which hold the metal case together are all marked with a thin red substcane, which will show any scratches from screwdrivers.

So in my case, no exchange of the noisy fan without a void warranty...  :(

MfG XaS

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I just unboxed my DS2072, which I ordered from Batronix. And yes, there's a warranty sticker on these scopes now.

I'm pretty sure there's always been one on there - I have one on mine bought in October 2012. Put if you want to open the DSO, there are ways around it without breaking it - look for mikeselectricstuff's video.

Offline laavu

I'm pretty sure there's always been one on there - I have one on mine bought in October 2012. Put if you want to open the DSO, there are ways around it without breaking it - look for mikeselectricstuff's video.
Ok, I was under impression that older models didn't have anything similar on them and this was added later/recenly.

Offline eastonwolfs

• Contributor
Hi Guys,

Since I'm a newbie I thought it might be worth telling you a little about my recent experiences.  I bought a DS2102 on the back of Dave's excellent review of the DS2000 series.  The DS2072 wasn't in stock and I figured the extra bandwidth would come in handy...  I am so incredibly impressed by the capabilities, way way better than the DS1102 I had prior to it.  In fact, it amazes me to think that in the early 90's I was paying 20,000 GPB for an HP 1 GHz sampling scope that did a fraction of what the Rigol does (long before Agilent existed).  Well ok, the money was not from me personally, it was from the company I was working for at the time, but as a young engineer, getting that scope at the time seemed like someone had given me the keys to Aladdins cave  :)

Unfortunately I quickly discovered the Rigol 'self cal' problem before I could even try the options.  It's a great pity that I had not found this extensive thread before trying out my scope; I would have waited before doing any cal.  I did talk to my supplier/distributor (here in the UK) - although they are willing to help they have not heard of this issue before, and so the members of this forum are the experts to talk to as far as I can see.  I have noticed talk of a 'secret handshake' and if anyone is able to PM me and help me out I would really appreciate it?  (** see my added comment below...)

By the way, a significant part of my background is in RF/microwave, I guess I'm one of the 'grey beards' that Dave sometimes mentions in his teardown videos. If anyone wants to know more about the high frequency stuff (more the passives than the actives), I can help!

Regards, Will.

** Many thanks to those who responded via PM - it's great to join a community where people help each other out like that. I hope I find a way to do likewise in the future...   :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:22:46 pm by eastonwolfs »

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
TrackerJ123,

When I requested a Rigol Scope quote saying that I would only buy from the best quoted price, they offered me a 5% discount better than Batronix price.
They are in the Fatherland.

www.meilhaus.com
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:02:34 pm by Paul Price »

Offline beeswax

I'm in basically the same situation as Will. I made the mistake of doing the self-cal and lost all the trial options. Can anyone help us?  :-[

Offline Kobus

• Contributor
A while back Dave mentioned it would be interesting to compare the 500uV ranges or the DS2000 and the Tek2225.
I just received my DS2072 and took a couple of shots.

Here is the same 10 kHz signal on both scopes at 500uV.
I included a 64 averages shot and a Hi Res as well.
(excuse the camera, I didn't have a USB stick on hand at the time)

Soon after, my DS2072 "gave off the magic smoke"  :-BROKE  No more playing 'till it gets replaced  :'( 
(Being that Rigol supplied me with a a faulty unit, would be decent of
them to pick up the tab on all associated expenses, return shipping, customs clearing fee etc.)

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Hi all,

My DS2072 arrived today.......yup a very nice upgrade to my old UTD2102CEL.

Anyways, I found a rather novel way of mounting the scope on my workbench.......I made a 'swivel shelf'.
This means the scope is off the actual bench itself, but it's also still low enough to have it at a nice level i.e. it's not high up on a shelf. The ability to rotate it around is a great bonus as my workbench is 'L' shaped and I tend to work on both sides. The scope is in the corner.

PS. Yes, yes, I'll tidy the cables at the back.........sometime!

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
I got my DS2072 today too! 

Very nice.  Very nice indeed!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

So it sounds as if the tap has opened up again finally in NA. Good to hear it.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter

So it sounds as if the tap has opened up again finally in NA. Good to hear it.

Interesting story on that...

TE quoted a ship date of 6/21 (last Friday).  I read Van-C's post about the delay, so I called TE early this week and was told 4-6 weeks "at least".  That was kind of upsetting so I decided to call Rigol directly and see what was going on.  I got someone in their technical/development group, not someone in sales.  He was really cool actually, and we chatted a bit - he told me they had "some" DS2072's in their inventory that they hadn't put on the website.  I asked if I can get one and he said sure.  It arrived today.

I wanted to wait before cancelling my TE order, just in case Rigol made some mistake and shipped a different part.  But it was correct.  When I spoke to Dawn @ TE (who is awesomely helpful!)  she said their shipment of DS2072's had just arrived that day and were being readied for shipment.  The only part that sucks for me is I paid an extra $70 to buy from Rigol which I wouldn't have if I knew TE was getting them today, but such is life.

So... anyone who has one on order with TE should see it shipped shortly, I imagine.  I can't speak for TE but I think that's the case.  I changed my order over to the new DP832A power supply.  And I will try to find a way to squeeze a DG4062 in there as well - it's only money  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:07:02 pm by Corporate666 »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
I made a 'swivel shelf'.

Very nice on the swivel shelf - awesome.

When I spoke to Dawn @ TE (who is awesomely helpful!)  she said their shipment of DS2072's had just arrived that day and were being readied for shipment.

Woo hoo! :)  I hope they ship mine soon!

Offline bluesmoke

• Contributor
Big question is..... Do you still have trial options?

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
TE says they will ship out on Monday.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
Big question is..... Do you still have trial options?

I do.  Well, I haven't used them, but upon bootup, I get a screen showing "installed options" and I have several listed under Trigger and a few decode options listed too (RS232, SPI, etc).  They all list 2126 minutes left (I think they've counted down a few minutes).

When I click System Info, I get software version 00.01.00 and hardware version 1.0.  I know (think) there is an extra byte on the end of the software version that I have to do some button pushing to see?  I just haven't had time to do much else other than power it up and play with a couple of the features.  I have a couple of PCB's I'm trying to get over to the board house this weekend and some machining to do, so just a bit busy.

If someone can tell a lazy SOB like me what to do in order to see any full firmware version or if there's anything anyone wants to know about my 'scope, let me know and I will do it and post up.

Offline Yaksaredabomb

• Regular Contributor
If one of the members here would be kind enough to PM me the EEV discount code I would be very grateful.
I don't believe there is a code, it's done on a case by case basis.  The stuff I've bought via EEV was a hard quote each time with no discount code.
Just wanted to throw a link out to this thread quick in case anyone is still looking for the Tequipment.net code:
Special Price FOR EEVblog Members
My display name changed June 6th from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
If someone can tell a lazy SOB like me what to do in order to see any full firmware version or if there's anything anyone wants to know about my 'scope, let me know and I will do it and post up.
It's all listed in the third post of this thread (down near the bottom).

If the DSO came from back inventory, I'm guessing you'll have FW 01.00.02 or 01.00.05.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
It's all listed in the third post of this thread (down near the bottom).

If the DSO came from back inventory, I'm guessing you'll have FW 01.00.02 or 01.00.05.

I can't get that to work.  I am in the trigger menu w/Edge selected and I'm hitting 7/6/7/Utility quickly (tried to do it all within 1/2 second - also tried to do it slower and more deliberately), and I have key beep turned on, so I know I am getting the key presses.  It beeps on 7/6/7 and on Utility it brings up the Utility menu.

Anything else that needs to be set - like channels off, in single/run/stop or something?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf