Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1101194 times)

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
If someone can tell a lazy SOB like me what to do in order to see any full firmware version or if there's anything anyone wants to know about my 'scope, let me know and I will do it and post up.
It's all listed in the third post of this thread (down near the bottom).

If the DSO came from back inventory, I'm guessing you'll have FW 01.00.02 or 01.00.05.

I can't get that to work.  I am in the trigger menu w/Edge selected and I'm hitting 7/6/7/Utility quickly (tried to do it all within 1/2 second - also tried to do it slower and more deliberately), and I have key beep turned on, so I know I am getting the key presses.  It beeps on 7/6/7 and on Utility it brings up the Utility menu.

Anything else that needs to be set - like channels off, in single/run/stop or something?

this confused me. are you using the buttons on the right side of  the screen ? - they are what worked for me

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
If someone can tell a lazy SOB like me what to do in order to see any full firmware version or if there's anything anyone wants to know about my 'scope, let me know and I will do it and post up.
It's all listed in the third post of this thread (down near the bottom).

If the DSO came from back inventory, I'm guessing you'll have FW 01.00.02 or 01.00.05.

I can't get that to work.  I am in the trigger menu w/Edge selected and I'm hitting 7/6/7/Utility quickly (tried to do it all within 1/2 second - also tried to do it slower and more deliberately), and I have key beep turned on, so I know I am getting the key presses.  It beeps on 7/6/7 and on Utility it brings up the Utility menu.

Anything else that needs to be set - like channels off, in single/run/stop or something?

this confused me. are you using the buttons on the right side of  the screen ? - they are what worked for me

Yep, the gray/blue buttons (1 through 7, 1 being the top one just below the menu key, the 7 being the bottom just above the up arrow key).

I had the scope on from earlier, so I pressed the "trigger" menu and it was set to edge already.  So with the trigger menu still open, I pressed 7/6/7/Utility quickly.   The 7/6/7 beeps on each press, and when I hit utility that menu just popped up.  I tried different speeds, all the way to "as fast as I bet anyone could do it" and nothing.

Is it possible I have a later firmware and this keypress method to get the full version info has been removed?
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

Don't use key beep - it's possible that might cause it NOT to function. It doesn't have to be that fast - just quickly, with very little pause between keys. I never had any trouble with it once I realized that you just couldn't pause for long between key presses.

Is it possible I have a later firmware and this keypress method to get the full version info has been removed?

Not unless you have a version of the FW no one else has - or has seen. But why would they remove it? It just brings up a test mode menu. Plus you can get the full FW version easily using SCPI commands as well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:34:37 am by marmad »

Offline brob

Hi everyone

I am a new member from Canada but have been following it for quite some time. I ordered a DS2072 back on May 7 from Tequipment and it finally arrived a few days ago on June 25. They changed the expected delivery date about 4 times before they actually marked it as shipped. It comes with all trial options installed with approx. 2100 minutes to go. It also came with firmware version 00.00.01.00.05  I have also been following the hacking rigol i2c thread and it is looking very interesting. :-+

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

If you still can't get the button method to work, install NI VISA runtime (you need it for RUU anyway) and Rigol Ultra Sigma software.

Connect DSO via USB; boot the DSO; start Ultra Sigma; open SCPI Control Panel; type (or copy and paste) the following:

:SYSTem:SETup?

You will see the full FW version number in the top line of the return data.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter

If you still can't get the button method to work, install NI VISA runtime (you need it for RUU anyway) and Rigol Ultra Sigma software.

Connect DSO via USB; boot the DSO; start Ultra Sigma; open SCPI Control Panel; type (or copy and paste) the following:

:SYSTem:SETup?

You will see the full FW version number in the top line of the return data.

It's strange, I turned key beep off and still could not see the firmware screen.  I must have tried it over 100 times being very deliberate and careful with button presses. 

Well, I installed NI-Visa and RUU (great software, BTW!) and typed the command into the SCPI control panel.  Result: 00.01.00.00.03.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
It's strange, I turned key beep off and still could not see the firmware screen.  I must have tried it over 100 times being very deliberate and careful with button presses. 

Well, I installed NI-Visa and RUU (great software, BTW!) and typed the command into the SCPI control panel.  Result: 00.01.00.00.03.

You were checking System -> System Info after each of those times, right? If so, it's very strange... I just did it with FW 01.00.00.03 first time without a problem.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter

You were checking System -> System Info after each of those times, right? If so, it's very strange... I just did it with FW 01.00.00.03 first time without a problem.

Figured it out.

I ran the key test, and while I had done that previously, this time when I pressed the '6' key, nothing happened.  I had noticed the key felt a little different, so after some more testing it was not working - unless you really pushed it slowly, hard and deliberately.  I pushed the key in really hard and wiggled it around a little, and now it's fine.  It's almost like there was something on the board or the key was not accurately lined up in it's set.  Now it works, and the key feels like the others!

And now I see the full system info on the screen. 

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
TE sent me a tracking number, I should get it Friday.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
From the Rigol website:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/form/1579/0012:d-0001/1/index.htm

Firmware Update Request

Here are the latest Firmware versions by Rigol product family as of June 1, 2013:

DS2000 FW-Version: 00.01.00.00.03

DS4000 FW-Version: 00.01.00.00.07

DS6000 FW-Version: 00.01.04

DSA815 FW-Version: 00.01.06

DSA1000 FW-Version: 00.01.14

DG4000 FW-Version: 00.01.06

DG5000 FW-Version: 01.01.08

To request an upgrade please fill out the information below and we will contact you. Upgrade compatibility may depend on the serial number, hardware revisions and current firmware of your instrument. Not all instruments may be upgradable to the latest firmware.

You can also contact your local office or distributor for information or to discuss the benefits of a firmware update.

Rigol Technologies USA Applications:
www.rigoltech.com
Email: techsupport@rigol.com
Phone: 440-232-4488

Rigol Technologies EU GmbH:
Lindberghstraße 4
82178 Puchheim
+49 (0)89 - 8941895-0
sales-europe@rigoltech.com

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
From the Rigol website: an other way of default factory reset.
And how to upgrade Firmware.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:04:31 pm by Wim13 »

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Thanks Wim13!  :)
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Made a complete graph for the Bandwidth of the 2072, 2102 and 2202.

They have all different bandwidth
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:45:20 pm by Wim13 »

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Made a complete graph for the Bandwidth of the 2072, 2102 and 2202.

They have all different bandwidth

It is curious. Maybe there are slight differences in the input stage.
I do not think this is due to the software/firmware.
It would be nice to have a electrical schematic of the input stage. 

Anyone have pictures of the input stage of the three models?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:51:40 pm by Carrington »
Space Weather.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor

As far i could find has to do with this IC,

The LMH6518
• Oscilloscope Programmable Gain Amplifier
of 20, 100, 200, 350, 650, 750 MHz or full bandwidth.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor

The LMH6518

Well I do not know, but I think that this difference is due more to the passive components. (Different values??, perhaps)  :-//
Space Weather.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
This input stage is a Hantek / TEKWAY ...

As you can see there are slight differences.
Space Weather.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
The LMH6518

Is it possible that:

DS2072 --> 100
DS2102 --> 200
DS2202 --> 350

???

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Hi all,

Been playing with my DS2072 (00.01.00.00.03) and subject to more testing I seem to have found a bug/issue.

Triggering some SPI bus data I was using pulse triggering (NORMAL mode) and it was fine, I got my waveform nice and steady on the screen. I left the scope running like that for at least 20mins then decided I wanted to look at an analogue signal so set the triggering back to AUTO and moved the scope probe to what was a 1.25vdc steady DC voltage..........however, the scope looked like it was stuck in NORMAL triggering mode as I could not get a trace on the screen......well actually there was a trace there, just not refreshing.

Reset power to the scope and it was all fine again.

Next time it happens I'll have to pay attention to what else the scope was saying......but for now there it is!

Ian.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:35:32 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
I hooked my scope up to Ethernet just now, and was a little surprised by the instrument introduction:

Instrument   Introduction
DS2000 Series is a new generation oscilloscope. It has 2 channels. It has a sibling version with logic analyser DS2000D. The maximum bandwidth is 200M, and the peak sampling rate is up to 1G.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I hooked my scope up to Ethernet just now, and was a little surprised by the instrument introduction:

Instrument   Introduction
DS2000 Series is a new generation oscilloscope. It has 2 channels. It has a sibling version with logic analyser DS2000D. The maximum bandwidth is 200M, and the peak sampling rate is up to 1G.

Yes, this was mentioned a long time ago in one of the first threads on the DSO. It seems this was written before the DSO was fully-developed - and obviously their plans changed and they went with the DS2000-S sibling first.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:08:59 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. You could buy a scope and then find out later that Rigol can't be bothered to release firmware fixes for that revision of the hardware.

You can have that problem with anything you buy - Western or Chinese made. But I personally prefer a Chinese company which appears to practice full disclosure and straightforwardness in their published specifications - even though it's perhaps a bit harder to get a hold of the latest firmware - then pretty much every other Chinese manufacturer (including GW-Instek).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:44:36 am by marmad »

Offline jedreg

• Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean about trials and 01.00.00.03 - they work fine with it. I personally think 01.00.00.03 is better - almost all bugs fixed (with one addition).

I was just curious if trial options counter that is about to expire still can be restarted on 01.00.00.03...

BTW I am joining DS2072 crowd as I decided to return couple days old DS2102 in favour of device from our Rigols' doctor "drieg" even it is cross-country, firstly because of invaluable help of "drieg" (we know it), secondly because DS2k hardware is the same hardware 1/4 price cheaper (now I know it ) and thirdly because of arrogance and ignorance of national reseller (now I experience it).

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I was just curious if trial options counter that is about to expire still can be restarted on 01.00.00.03...

Yes - or you can use the code posted in the other thread to turn the options on each boot.

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
Vectors on the Rigol don't do a damn thing towards preventing aliasing - as evidenced by many images already posted here. If you think they do, post an image which demonstrates this. Their Anti-Aliasing does NOT work - and is either a bug, unimplemented feature, or mistake.

sorry I may be late to the party..

The anti-aliasing function may not do what you expect but it does work. Here is an example same signal with and without anti-aliasing.  I should have tried to zoom in to see what the actual waveforms look like. But there is some difference
CH1 is ~700Hz and CH2 is @ 7 MHz envelopes.   The second picture - Antialiasing ON

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:06:34 pm by zibadun »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf