Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1101201 times)

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Power on bug
« Reply #2500 on: June 24, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »
Hi,

I went back to FW 00.01.00.05 and main power connect still starts my DS2072
I use SCPI command to get to LAST

That setting controls the setup information at startup; that's not what I'm talking about.  In 3.01 there is a new setting called PowerStatus (you can see if if you scroll to the next page)  The options are Open or Default.  According the newest DS2000 manual on the Rigol website, Open mode powers up the scope when you plug it in, and Default just "energizes" the unit and you have to press the power button to power on the scope.  I am stuck in Open mode after testing that setting and cannot get back to Default.  I can change the setting and it appears to save the value, but the scope still powers up by itself.

We just had a power failure last night and the scope was on this morning because of this.  I'll have to keep it unplugged to prevent it running if power is lost :(

Have you tried to reset stored settings (you know, left function keys column, F6 button while powering up).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:16:55 pm by f1rmb »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #2501 on: June 24, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »

That setting controls the setup information at startup; that's not what I'm talking about.  In 3.01 there is a new setting called PowerStatus (you can see if if you scroll to the next page)  The options are Open or Default.  According the newest DS2000 manual on the Rigol website, Open mode powers up the scope when you plug it in, and Default just "energizes" the unit and you have to press the power button to power on the scope.  I am stuck in Open mode after testing that setting and cannot get back to Default.  I can change the setting and it appears to save the value, but the scope still powers up by itself.

We just had a power failure last night and the scope was on this morning because of this.  I'll have to keep it unplugged to prevent it running if power is lost :(

Have you set also Utility-System-Power On-Last? Then the last settings should remain in use when you power on your scope.

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #2502 on: June 24, 2014, 05:35:33 pm »

Have you tried to reset stored settings (you know, left function keys column, F6 button while powering up).

Cheers.

Yep, I tried to reset using F6.  That was actually my first attempt at a fix.  I also tried to load the default values through the menu.

Also, Power On "last" and "Default" works as it's supposed to, but neither solves the automatic boot-up issue.

Are there any others who are having this same problem?

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2503 on: June 24, 2014, 06:23:19 pm »

Cheers.

Yep, I tried to reset using F6.  That was actually my first attempt at a fix.  I also tried to load the default values through the menu.

Also, Power On "last" and "Default" works as it's supposed to, but neither solves the automatic boot-up issue.

Are there any others who are having this same problem?

Well, and what about reflashing the firmware ?

Cheers.

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
Reflashed a bunch of times to almost all of the available versions.  No change.

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2505 on: June 24, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »

Are you absolutely positive that you cleared the FRAM correctly with F6 during bootup? In other words, ALL of the previously saved settings (channels, image hardware, etc) were gone? If not - make sure you're certain before going further - for example, set something specifically, then clear the FRAM at bootup.

There is also 'Security Clear'- it will clear both the FRAM and NOR FLASH - which contains 'Firmware, Bin, Internal saving' (according to Rigol doc). The problem is, I don't know if it clears the bootloader or other vital data (calibration settings, model and serial number, etc) - but it might - which could leave you with a bricked DSO. So I strongly advise you should check with a Rigol representative/dealer before attempting it. If you're still sure you want to try it - I can post or PM you the method.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:11:38 pm by marmad »

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #2506 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:25 pm »
Are you absolutely positive that you cleared the FRAM correctly with F6 during bootup? In other words, ALL of your settings (channels settings, image settings, etc) were gone? If not - make sure you're certain before going further - for example, set something specifically, then clear the FRAM at bootup.

There is also 'Security Clear'- it will clear both the FRAM and NOR FLASH - which contains 'Firmware, Bin, Internal saving' (according to Rigol doc). The problem is, I don't know if it clears the bootloader or other vital data (calibration settings, model and serial number, etc) - but I suspect it might - which could leave you with a bricked DSO. So I strongly advise you should check with a Rigol representative/dealer before attempting it. If you're still sure you want to try it - I can post or PM you the method.

I am pretty sure the F6 clear worked.  I did it a few times.  I tried it just holding down F6, and also by repeatedly pressing it during bootup.  Both times the channel settings reset to default as did a few settings I changed in the setup.

The security clear sounds promising... and dangerous.  I'm not sure I really want to risk a brick over this.  I'm assuming that it is not just my unit doing this, so Rigol should fix it in a future firmware, hopefully. 

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2507 on: June 24, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »
The security clear sounds promising... and dangerous.  I'm not sure I really want to risk a brick over this.  I'm assuming that it is not just my unit doing this, so Rigol should fix it in a future firmware, hopefully.

Well, contact the person/company you bought your DSO from, tell them your problem, and ask them if using Security Clear might work for you.

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
Speaking of which - where is the best/cheapest place to buy Rigol scopes? I'm in the market for a 2072 as well.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Speaking of which - where is the best/cheapest place to buy Rigol scopes? I'm in the market for a 2072 as well.
If you are in the US and maybe they supply to other countries (not sure), I'll recommend tequipment.net

I got mine from tequipment.net they have a discount for EEVBlog I believe is 6%, his username in the forum is:
tequipment send him a PM to get the code.

I won't say they are perfect but they seem to come through at the end. Shipping was pretty quick for me but I never had any problems with my scope. So I can't speak of post sales support.

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
Excellent, thanks mate!

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
Excellent, thanks mate!

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #2512 on: June 25, 2014, 12:45:46 am »

Well, contact the person/company you bought your DSO from, tell them your problem, and ask them if using Security Clear might work for you.

I did the Security Clear, and still no change.  I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my scope.  I'd love to hear if anyone else experiences the same behavior.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2513 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:16 am »
I did the Security Clear, and still no change.  I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my scope.  I'd love to hear if anyone else experiences the same behavior.

My DSO doesn't turn on when I plug it in - OTOH, I have an original DS2000 - not an A-series.

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
« Reply #2514 on: June 25, 2014, 12:50:45 am »
Also, if there are any smart hackers out there that can figure out how to change the setting back, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

I went back to FW 00.01.00.05 and main power connect still starts my DS2072
I use SCPI command to get to LAST

Teneyes, are you telling me that when you plug in your scope it automatically powers up?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #2515 on: June 25, 2014, 12:58:29 am »

Not to bust your balls or anything, but it does seem that you're perhaps more concerned with this than you need to be. How often does the power fail where your DSO is? And as long as you have the screensaver set to run, I'm not sure it makes that much difference. I'm using my DS2000 heavily - it's often on all day long for days on end (and I've had it for 20 months).

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
Yeah, it's not a big deal, I agree, but along with not being able to unlock 300MHz, I'm just wondering if there is a hardware issue with my scope.  Anyway, I'll drop it now   ;)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Yeah, it's not a big deal, I agree, but along with not being able to unlock 300MHz, I'm just wondering if there is a hardware issue with my scope.  Anyway, I'll drop it now   ;)

There's probably a SCPI command for it - and if so, that might work. But even though Rigol has released a new user's manual for the newest v.3 firmware - there's still no new programming guide (as far as I can tell). You could try the following guesses from Ultra Sigma, since sending incorrect commands doesn't cause any harm - and the DSO will display on the screen whether it's accepted the command or not.

The :SYSTem:PON command is to set 'power on', so I'm guessing that POS or PST might be 'power status'. Try:

:SYSTem:POS DEF

and

:SYSTem:PST DEF
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:19:25 am by marmad »

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
There's probably a SCPI command for it - and if so, that might work. But even though Rigol has released a new user's manual for the newest v.3 firmware - there's still no new programming guide (as far as I can tell). You could try the following guesses from Ultra Sigma, since sending incorrect commands doesn't cause any harm - and the DSO will display on the screen whether it's accepted the command or not.

The :SYSTem:PON command is to set 'power on', so I'm guessing that POS or PST might be 'power status'. Try:

:SYSTem:POS DEF

and

:SYSTem:PST DEF

:SYSTem:PST DEF is correct, but it still does not change the behavior.  I'll contact Rigol and if nothing comes of it, I'll just live with it.  Now if we could just figure out what's going on with the 300MHz randomness.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
:SYSTem:PST DEF is correct, but it still does not change the behavior.  I'll contact Rigol and if nothing comes of it, I'll just live with it.  Now if we could just figure out what's going on with the 300MHz randomness.

I've been using my DS2000 heavily the last few weeks, and about a week and a half ago it just started to hang constantly - requiring reboot after reboot (some combination of settings - I think I was using Roll mode). It got so bad, I was starting to think that I'd had some kind of failure - but first I downgraded to FW v.2 and uninstalled 300MHz, and since then, it's been absolutely fine - not a single crash. I still haven't re-installed v.3 again to check if it was specifically that or the 300MHz option causing the problem, but I can certainly report that FW v.3 with the 300MHz option installed is definitely NOT stable.

Offline Purevector

• Contributor
I've been using my DS2000 heavily the last few weeks, and about a week and a half ago it just started to hang constantly - requiring reboot after reboot (some combination of settings - I think I was using Roll mode). It got so bad, I was starting to think that I'd had some kind of failure - but first I downgraded to FW v.2 and uninstalled 300MHz, and since then, it's been absolutely fine - not a single crash. I still haven't re-installed v.3 again to check if it was specifically that or the 300MHz option causing the problem, but I can certainly report that FW v.3 with the 300MHz option installed is definitely NOT stable.

That may very well be the case, but I just finished playing around with the scope and I found two interesting codes: NS89 does all options +100 +200 +300 MHz, and NS8N does all options - 56M + 300MHz.  Is there some kind of rhyme or reason to the codes?  Maybe there is another code for all options +300MHz.  The other question is, would the NS89 code work just as well?

Offline dougbert

But even though Rigol has released a new user's manual for the newest v.3 firmware - there's still no new programming guide (as far as I can tell).

Where can I get a copy of the updated manual?

Thanks,
Doug

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor

On the Rigol site i   find:
http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DS2000A/document/

DS2000A User's Guide            2013-12-02   
MSO/DS2000A DataSheet       2014-06-09   
DS2000A Quick Guide              2014-02-19   
DS2000A Programming Guide    2013-10-08   

Offline NikWing

• Regular Contributor
wow, so much to read since last time ^^

thanks guys, that helped me a lot!
I have some noise, yes, unplugging the probe shows a clean line on screen
(oh and I also use the bw/ limit, too)

I didn't try the new fw yet, but I'll look for "what's new" postings 1st :)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
Somewhere hidden in this large thread there was the information that the DS2000 should better not be pimped to more than 200 Mhz; thus 300 Mhz should be avoided.

Maybe that has changed in the meantime.
Is this still true with the DS2000A? Should 200Mhz be maximum or is 300Mhz now save (newer hardware, newer firmware)?

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf